Author Topic: HHKB 2 Type-S Unsilenced Left Shift  (Read 3802 times)

Offline Blue_Moon

HHKB 2 Type-S Unsilenced Left Shift
« on: Mon, 20 March 2017, 09:59:33 »
I just got my HHKB Pro 2 Type-S and it's quieter, except for the Left Shift which makes a loud "thock". Is it just mine, or are others like this?

Offline Blue_Moon

Re: HHKB 2 Type-S Unsilenced Left Shift
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 20 March 2017, 10:11:23 »
Okay, I should've searched google first, but it appears I'm not the only one.

https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/33a13o/type_s_left_shift_best_key_ever/?st=j0i8z7hx&sh=7c4a3778

I'd like to change my question to, "any ideas why the left shift is unsilenced?"

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 20 March 2017, 10:38:05 »
That's weird. You can do a dental band mod on just the left shift if it really bothers you. Not sure why just the left shift would be like that.

Maybe someone who has taken apart a type S can chime in?
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 20 March 2017, 12:09:39 »
Hrrrrmmm......

Since that key can travel a little side ways, as it's not stabilized,  its possible the ring is getting stuck at an angle as you depress the keys.  so when it returns, that stuck portion is preventing an even dampening of the return stroke.

Gotta take it apart to know for sure.

Offline Blue_Moon

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 20 March 2017, 12:28:24 »
I just popped my keycaps off. Haven't any clue what's dampening the sound, as there isn't anything under the keycap. The Left Shift has the same design as the Return key, and my Return key is silenced. The unsilenced "thock" sound occurs on the downstroke.

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 20 March 2017, 12:49:13 »
I just popped my keycaps off. Haven't any clue what's dampening the sound, as there isn't anything under the keycap. The Left Shift has the same design as the Return key, and my Return key is silenced. The unsilenced "thock" sound occurs on the downstroke.

on downstroke ?

Hrrrrmmm.....   you need to open the keyboard.. (the whole keyboard), the silencer is a rubber ring under the switch for the upstroke..

For downstroke, the rubber cup should be silencing the board.. very odd..

Offline Blue_Moon

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 20 March 2017, 12:58:18 »
i see what you mean. ty! it's definitely the downstroke, but from what i understand, the upstroke is what's silenced on the type s. so i listened to it carefully, and indeed the upstroke is silenced. so the left shift is silenced.

what i wonder then is why the left shift makes such a distinctive thock. i have an regular hhkb at home (i recently got both), and i bet its left shift makes the same sound, though i never noticed before.

but at least now i don't have to wonder why there's something wrong with my type s. every key is in fact silenced

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 20 March 2017, 13:02:49 »
i see what you mean. ty! it's definitely the downstroke, but from what i understand, the upstroke is what's silenced on the type s. so i listened to it carefully, and indeed the upstroke is silenced. so the left shift is silenced.

what i wonder then is why the left shift makes such a distinctive thock. i have an regular hhkb at home (i recently got both), and i bet its left shift makes the same sound, though i never noticed before.

but at least now i don't have to wonder why there's something wrong with my type s. every key is in fact silenced

is it a plastic-y thock,  or just a louder more poof-y thock sound.

Offline Blue_Moon

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 20 March 2017, 13:13:29 »
it's plastic-y. it's loud and noticeable, unlike any other key on this keyboard

Offline Air tree

• Better late than never ^-^
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 20 March 2017, 13:17:19 »
Mine is exactly the same, there are sound differences between most keys, just the left shift just sounds a bit odd compared to others.

The left shift on the type s and on the regular version have that.

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 20 March 2017, 13:19:32 »
it's plastic-y. it's loud and noticeable, unlike any other key on this keyboard

Hrrrm.. ok, then it's probably the keycap hitting the top of the shaft..

IF NOT,  then it could be the side of the keycap contacting the top of the plate.

Yellow Dots.

Blue Dots

Take a piece of thicker paper, cut it into the shape of the clearing around the top of the keycap,  and tape it in with a little flake of double sided tape,  it doesn't have to be perfect,  this is just to confirm where the sound is coming from.

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 20 March 2017, 13:24:28 »
does the sound happen when you hit the switch dead center in the middle.. or only from hitting it on the side.

Offline Blue_Moon

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 20 March 2017, 13:37:36 »
i tried hitting it in the center and the sides. it happens regardless, so it isn't from the keycap being unstabilized. my best guess is it comes from under the keyboard, like the keyboard is hollow under the left shift. this matches what air tree said about each key sounding slightly different, which they do, it's just the left shift is so much different

but what i really was concerned about is whether my keyboard is defective and i need to return it. it's comforting to hear that this is normal, and it's no big deal. i'm happy with this keyboard! i mean, i don't care about "fixing" the sound. i just want to leave the keyboard as it's intended

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 20 March 2017, 13:40:56 »
i tried hitting it in the center and the sides. it happens regardless, so it isn't from the keycap being unstabilized. my best guess is it comes from under the keyboard, like the keyboard is hollow under the left shift. this matches what air tree said about each key sounding slightly different, which they do, it's just the left shift is so much different

but what i really was concerned about is whether my keyboard is defective and i need to return it. it's comforting to hear that this is normal, and it's no big deal. i'm happy with this keyboard! i mean, i don't care about "fixing" the sound. i just want to leave the keyboard as it's intended

If it is not happening on any of the keys immediately next to the shift key,  it's not a pcb/housing issue..

It's probably the yellow dots then if this happens dead center..

Try the paper and tape thing.

Offline need

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 20 March 2017, 13:50:20 »
How about the Return key?

Offline Blue_Moon

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 20 March 2017, 13:51:47 »
i don't have any double sided tape. i don't know what exactly i'm checking for, so i don't know if this substitute will test the same thing. but i have some soft landing pads

https://elitekeyboards.com/products.php?sub=access,slpads&pid=sl120_cs

i put one on the left shift key, and it still makes the exact same thock sound.

Offline Blue_Moon

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 20 March 2017, 13:52:17 »
the return key *doesn't* make that thocking sound

in fact, i just took the keycaps off. the return, left shift, and control, which is just above the left shift. it isn't the cap at all. it makes that thock sound (though slightly different) when i press on the black stem!
« Last Edit: Mon, 20 March 2017, 13:55:18 by Blue_Moon »

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 20 March 2017, 14:00:09 »
the return key *doesn't* make that thocking sound

in fact, i just took the keycaps off. the return, left shift, and control, which is just above the left shift. it isn't the cap at all. it makes that thock sound (though slightly different) when i press on the black stem!

hrrmm.. well you gotta disassemble it then.

does the enter key fit over the shift,  try that does it still make noise

Offline Blue_Moon

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 20 March 2017, 15:23:29 »
the enter key does fit over the left shift stem, and it still makes that noise. i confirmed that it's the actual stem making that noise, by pressing on the stem without any keycap

i ain't disassembling this keyboard. i'm okay with the thock. just wanted to make sure it was normal

Offline droideggs

« Reply #19 on: Mon, 23 April 2018, 18:12:55 »
im having the same issue where the left shift key is loud on my type-s.

didn't notice this until today. received it yesterday.

its definitely noticeably louder than the other keys.
its as though the left shift key was left unsilenced. it gets loud on the downstroke, as though there is no softener to prevent it from making the loud thock sound.

edit: its my first post since i joined 4 years ago. interesting..