Author Topic: [Interest Check] Alucase for Phantom and Filco  (Read 52146 times)

Offline Swede

[Interest Check] Alucase for Phantom and Filco
« Reply #150 on: Wed, 21 March 2012, 11:40:25 »
So here we go again! (****)

Recieved my Filco earlier today. Turns out that the Filco is bigger than I thought. So it won't fit. . .

This means that the blocks I have to make the prototypes are to small to make them into the Final shape. But I can use them to test out the inside of the case, all is not lost with those cases.
So I have to redesign the case, make it bigger and try again. So expect atleast 1 week delay on the prototypes.

Offline Wraul

« Reply #151 on: Wed, 21 March 2012, 11:51:29 »
Quote from: Swede;552528

Recieved my Filco earlier today. Turns out that the Filco is bigger than I thought. So it won't fit. . .

This means that the blocks I have to make the prototypes are to small to make them into the Final shape. But I can use them to test out the inside of the case, all is not lost with those cases.
So I have to redesign the case, make it bigger and try again. So expect atleast 1 week delay on the prototypes.

Sad to hear that. It sucks when things doesn't go exactly as planed. Makes it more sweet in the end though.

I'm eagerly awaiting these. Will most likely place an order for 4.
If I can convince myself to spend that much. It's very likely cause you got them down to what I consider a very reasonable price. And I'm easily persuaded.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #152 on: Wed, 21 March 2012, 12:23:49 »
Quote from: Swede;552528

wait can you clarify this? does it fit the phantom pcb but not the filco? i only plan on casing phantoms...

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline ped

« Reply #153 on: Wed, 21 March 2012, 12:39:31 »
Quote from: mkawa;552598
wait can you clarify this? does it fit the phantom pcb but not the filco? i only plan on casing phantoms...

In his Deskthority thread it seemed like he meant that the current case doesn't fit the Filco stuff in it because he made it to the specification of the Phantom. Since the case is supposed to fit Filco and Phantom, he said he's going to order some bigger blocks to work with.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #154 on: Wed, 21 March 2012, 12:46:41 »
ok well i'm fine with the smaller design since i only plan on casing phantoms. if you want to mill out a couple of those i'll be pleased as punch

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline ped

« Reply #155 on: Wed, 21 March 2012, 13:06:36 »
Yeah, but I think he's just not going to use the small blocks for the final product. Maybe it's to keep complexity and costs lower. I don't know the exact reasons but he wants to have just one final product, even if there are slight variations for normal/7bit/noholes/winkeyless the starting point will always be the same and the programming for the block with be exactly the same, all he'd have to do is tell the machine to ignore one or two commands for each variation.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #156 on: Wed, 21 March 2012, 13:10:15 »
ok, well either way is fine. you're right i forgot that it's non-trivial to get gcode for a design.

Offline litster

• rare caps?! THAT'S A SMILIN
« Reply #157 on: Wed, 21 March 2012, 13:26:48 »
Guys, it is very simple.  Phantom was designed to fit inside a Filco tenkeyless case.  So Phantom's PCB and plate are based on Filco's PCB and plate.  The only difference is that Filco's mounting plate are bent down 90 degrees at the top and at the bottom. Phantom's plate is a straight, flat piece.

I made my acrylic case to work with both Phantom and Filco.  Swede is doing the same.  But it is a lot more difficult to do the design without actually having a Filco or Phantom in front of you.  I had the luxury of having multiple Filcos and a Phantom prototype in front of me while I designed my acrylic case.  Swede did what he could with Phantom's drawings for his initial design.  He now has an actual Filco in hand and he will need to make adjustments to his design based on new information and measurements from his Filco.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #158 on: Wed, 21 March 2012, 13:37:06 »
actually that was not so straightforward to understand for the rest of us, litster. thanks for the overwhelmingly clear explanation (forgot about the plate fitment issues entirely)

Offline gimpster

« Reply #159 on: Thu, 22 March 2012, 02:16:55 »
Quote from: mkawa;552682
actually that was not so straightforward to understand for the rest of us, litster. thanks for the overwhelmingly clear explanation (forgot about the plate fitment issues entirely)

It made sense to me, and I'm borderline sleep deprived. :biggrin: :flypig:
-Ryan

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #160 on: Thu, 22 March 2012, 02:18:41 »
my eyes kind of glaze over whenever i visit deskthority. i think it's the color scheme..

Offline jonnybastard

« Reply #161 on: Sun, 25 March 2012, 01:51:59 »
Put me down for one of these!
KMAC    -    HHKB Type-S    -    Filco TKL LineaR    -    Poker X    -    KBT Race LE

flickr

Offline Swede

« Reply #162 on: Wed, 28 March 2012, 09:47:14 »
Did the prototype for the topcase today! Yaaaayyy!!

No pictures however as it looks like ****. Umm, it does not look good as it is now.

So I need to make some fixtures to make it rigid and not bend like a banana when I start milling...
So expect about 1 month(!) additional development time, as next week will be a standard school week for me.

Even if I use the bigger blocks it will bend. This is mostly for the top part, as there is so little material.

So for me this is getting interesting, for you guys your wait just got longer :)

Offline balanar

« Reply #163 on: Wed, 28 March 2012, 09:52:14 »
Quote from: Swede;559198

No pictures however as it looks like ****. Umm, it does not look good as it is now.

So I need to make some fixtures to make it rigid and not bend like a banana when I start milling...
So expect about 1 month(!) additional development time, as next week will be a standard school week for me.

Even if I use the bigger blocks it will bend. This is mostly for the top part, as there is so little material.

So for me this is getting interesting, for you guys your wait just got longer :)

): Patience is a virtue though right?

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #164 on: Wed, 28 March 2012, 09:55:31 »
phantoms aren't coming in for another month and a half or so. take your time!

Offline balanar

« Reply #165 on: Wed, 28 March 2012, 09:59:40 »
Quote from: mkawa;559207
phantoms aren't coming in for another month and a half or so. take your time!

No! My filcos, along with many many others, are ready and waiting!

Offline Wraul

« Reply #166 on: Wed, 28 March 2012, 10:27:12 »
Quote from: Swede;559198

I was beginning to wonder about your progress. So great timing there.

Too bad about the problems though. But I guess it's good for your schoolwork. Always useful to encounter a few obstacles on the way. Gives you something to write about in your report.

I personally don't mind waiting. It's the end result that counts.

Keep up the good work.

Offline Swede

« Reply #167 on: Wed, 28 March 2012, 10:27:24 »
Quote from: balanar;559208
No! My filcos, along with many many others, are ready and waiting!

The Filcos is what has made the most delays. I had to make a lot of changes to make them fit!
If not for them, I would possibly have discovered this 2 weeks ago ;)

And also this change will assure a nice and good looking case. It will also decrease tolerances. :)

Offline Swede

« Reply #168 on: Wed, 28 March 2012, 10:32:04 »
Quote from: Wraul;559252
I was beginning to wonder about your progress. So great timing there.

Too bad about the problems though. But I guess it's good for your schoolwork. Always useful to encounter a few obstacles on the way. Gives you something to write about in your report.

I personally don't mind waiting. It's the end result that counts.

Keep up the good work.

It's my first design from the ground up with getting material, doing the design, writing the code (usually you just use CAM software) and getting customers!

So problems was expected but to be honest I thought it would be far less problems. I underestimated the difficulty of making something like this by far.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #169 on: Wed, 28 March 2012, 10:35:13 »
Quote from: Wraul;559252
Keep up the good work.
agreed! learning experiences are always good!

Offline balanar

« Reply #170 on: Wed, 28 March 2012, 13:26:35 »
Quote from: Swede;559253
The Filcos is what has made the most delays. I had to make a lot of changes to make them fit!
If not for them, I would possibly have discovered this 2 weeks ago ;)

And also this change will assure a nice and good looking case. It will also decrease tolerances. :)

You know I was just joking lol! Well I can say from experience with building pcs etc that no project gives you a sense of satisfaction at the end like overcoming a few unexpected obstacles and screw ups. The delays just make me look forward to the case more!

Offline Swede

« Reply #171 on: Wed, 28 March 2012, 15:49:51 »
Quote from: balanar;559439
You know I was just joking lol! Well I can say from experience with building pcs etc that no project gives you a sense of satisfaction at the end like overcoming a few unexpected obstacles and screw ups. The delays just make me look forward to the case more!

I knew that, hence the ";)" :)

Just fixing the program for the top piece and seeing the Mill bend the block to pieces was somewhat pleasing. The top piece is far to weak to just clamp it without additional support, my teacher did not tell me so I would see my failure and learn from my mistake :) (I sort of suspected this, and I made some steel bars that will do some support, however this is far from enough)
I saw some form of progress atleast :D

Offline ped

« Reply #172 on: Sat, 31 March 2012, 14:01:01 »
Swede, you may want to edit your original post as it has conflicting information. You mention 170 Euros, and 180 Dollars. I take it you just meant Euros, but it's not very clear.

Offline Sojik

« Reply #173 on: Mon, 09 April 2012, 07:57:51 »
Any update on this? I don't know how doable this is for you but it might be a good idea to organize an email list. I only visit geekhack to check on this thread until I get my Phantom kit and I don't want to miss any developments.

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #174 on: Mon, 09 April 2012, 07:59:30 »
He's still re-spinning it now that he has a Filco on hand to actually fit a Filco.  2nd hand measurements wasn't good enough.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline Mugen

• O-Rings are the murderers of keyboard souls
« Reply #175 on: Mon, 09 April 2012, 08:35:56 »
If theres one for a CM Storm i am interested.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #176 on: Mon, 09 April 2012, 11:04:24 »
use the subscribe tool in "thread tools". it can send you an email when the thread is updated.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #177 on: Mon, 09 April 2012, 13:05:33 »
Quote from: Mugen;571410
If theres one for a CM Storm i am interested.

Not gonna happen, due to USB controller placement.
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline nebo

« Reply #178 on: Mon, 09 April 2012, 14:26:17 »
I'd be interested in this, especially if it were anodized but I could always do that myself.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #179 on: Tue, 10 April 2012, 00:24:10 »
Quote from: demik;571594
Not gonna happen, due to USB controller placement.

The USB controller on the CMstorm is on the "front" above the arrow keys. Even if there were a clearance issue, you could easily route out around it, or get the '7bit' style, and there'd be no clearance issue.

Plus, the controller of the CMstorm is detachable, so even if it won't fit, you can re-position it relatively easily.

-Detachable controller, nice touch, that.
http://i.imm.io/lFRm.jpeg
http://i.imm.io/lFRC.jpeg
http://i.imm.io/lFRU.jpeg

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #180 on: Tue, 10 April 2012, 07:00:10 »
Pretty sure he meant the connector arrangement, since the CM has the same controller placement as a Filco.  The connector tho is on a separate PCB and the central support post is moved to the left to support that (as compared to Filco).
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #181 on: Wed, 11 April 2012, 23:12:11 »
Yes, but it's really a triviality to plug in a USB cable to that 4 pin connector on the bottom of the PCB. Doesn't filco also have a connector like that for it's cable?

I would say it depends on the plate support design whether or not it will work, since all other differences aren't too hard to overcome.

Swede, it's a little unclear as to how the case connects to the keyboard? Are you sandwiching the plate, or using screws and standoffs, 'cause if it's the former, or something like it, me way already have limited CMstrom compatability.

Offline harrison

« Reply #182 on: Mon, 16 April 2012, 23:31:10 »
just posting to get a track on this thread again, but looking forward to an update!
[work]ducky tiger dk-9008G2, cherry mx brown|logitech performance mx
[home]corsair k70 LUX RGB, cherry mx brown|logitech G700s

Offline imersa

• clickclack's #1 fan
« Reply #183 on: Fri, 27 April 2012, 14:29:08 »
Will buy one for sure. International shipping required.

Offline Autolyze

« Reply #184 on: Fri, 25 May 2012, 06:48:15 »
Any news on this one?

Offline gimpster

« Reply #185 on: Sat, 26 May 2012, 00:18:35 »
Doubt it. He hasn't even been on the forums in almost 6 weeks.
-Ryan

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #186 on: Sat, 26 May 2012, 00:20:59 »
fraid he probably ditched out on this

luckily, treble should have his design ready for production by mid july (or sooner with any luck! :)

Offline gimpster

« Reply #187 on: Sun, 27 May 2012, 13:55:46 »
Yup, I think so, too...I pinged him on his Deskthority thread, since he seems more active on that forum, but no reply there, either. Eagerly awaiting treble's design, just hope the cost isn't too high...
-Ryan

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #188 on: Sun, 27 May 2012, 15:50:32 »
He is doing it at school, and here in Sweden, semesters are usually over in the first week of June. I would guess is that he is also very busy with exams about now.
🍉

Offline agor

« Reply #189 on: Sun, 27 May 2012, 20:06:01 »
He also said that he way busy at school. Lets just hope he will be back soon and well
KBD8X II - MX 5000 - Realforce 88UB - Phantom - GH60

Offline lorem3k

• http://twitter.com/#!/lorem3k
« Reply #190 on: Sun, 27 May 2012, 20:34:38 »
Does anyone know if Leopold boards fit in Filco cases?
Leopold FC200RT/AWN | Logitech G400 | Sennheiser HD25-1 II | Pounds in the fridge, hundred stacks in the armoire

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #191 on: Sun, 27 May 2012, 22:10:13 »
Quote from: lorem3k;601603
Someone (sorry, I don't remember who) had measured both keyboards and found that they don't. The spacing between key groups is slightly different.
🍉

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #192 on: Tue, 29 May 2012, 06:00:19 »
Quote from: lorem3k;601603

It doesn't. You'll also have to worry about the USB placement.

And it looks like OP has been MIA for a while. I'm now waiting for the vortex alu case. Seems like that one is also delayed.

Offline gimpster

« Reply #193 on: Tue, 29 May 2012, 10:07:21 »
Quote from: WhiteFireDragon;602633
I'm now waiting for the vortex alu case. Seems like that one is also delayed.

I'm shocked... :eyeroll: they will make you the most wonderful things but they couldn't hit a deadline if their lives depended on it.
-Ryan

Offline Swede

Re: [Interest Check] Alucase for Phantom and Filco
« Reply #194 on: Sun, 16 September 2012, 12:16:24 »
Hi there!

I'm not dead, and this case is not dead either ;)

I posted my reasons to why I quit the case for so long on Deskthority, if you want to know why check my post on page 7.
http://deskthority.net/marketplace-f11/alucase-for-phantom-and-filco-t2164-180.html

I have made a complete redesign of the case, and after a harddrive crash and some other **** I am now almost finished, and will start to design the construction of the prototype.
It will still be Anodised, but what colour I don't know, will make a poll later when I contact the anodiser.

Winkey design

Normal design

7Bit design

Bottom

The feet I am thinking of is a bit of a special one, I am thinking of using Magnets to hold the feet in place so that I dont need threaded feet.
I still have not made the design for them since I can't figure out how they're going to look.

Final weight will be about 900g, so quite a bit of weight have gone since the last design.

Regards
Swede

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #195 on: Sun, 16 September 2012, 12:35:16 »
welcome back swede!!! glad you're not lying in a ditch somewhere :P

case is looking good!

ps, since it sounds like you have reasonably priced machine time, and are relatively local to damorgue, could you please ping him?

thanks buds!

Offline Sojik

« Reply #196 on: Sun, 16 September 2012, 12:35:51 »
Damn. I'm so broke now, too! :(

Offline Swede

« Reply #197 on: Sun, 16 September 2012, 13:11:28 »

case is looking good!

ps, since it sounds like you have reasonably priced machine time, and are relatively local to damorgue, could you please ping him?

thanks buds!

I've talked with him a bit since I restarted the case, and he has recommended an anodiser for me, if I'm lucky they might do my prototypes for free (just dropping it in with some other stuff), so I can give you guys some concrete colours to decide from :)
And my machine cost is unbeatable, it's half of what most can offer since it's on my school, might even get it for free if I do a very limited series, they said that I can do about 40cases for free. And judging from the support I got last time I guess I will pass that limit ;)
« Last Edit: Sun, 16 September 2012, 13:13:26 by Swede »

Offline Swede

« Reply #198 on: Sun, 16 September 2012, 13:13:04 »
Damn. I'm so broke now, too! :(

You'll have time to save.

It will take a few weeks before I can get the prototype done. And I will wait some weeks after that to get a decent bunch of orders.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #199 on: Sun, 16 September 2012, 13:14:31 »

case is looking good!

thanks buds!

I've talked with him a bit since I restarted the case, and he has recommended an anodiser for me, if I'm lucky they might do my prototypes for free (just dropping it in with some other stuff), so I can give you guys some concrete colours to decide from :)
And my machine cost is unbeatable, it's half of what most can offer since it's on my school, might even get it for free if I do a very limited series, they said that I can do about 40cases for free. And judging from the support I got last time I guess I will pass that limit ;)
excellent!!

some fine cuts on the the exterior of his 3d-printed parts might just give it the finish he's been looking for... ;)