Author Topic: Looking for spare Cherry MY switch + some advice  (Read 2720 times)

Offline swaf

Looking for spare Cherry MY switch + some advice
« on: Sat, 30 July 2011, 09:23:42 »
Hi all.

For as long as I can remember I got this old Cherry G81-3000HAB keyboard. I recycled it from my father's old DOS machine when he discarded it. I don't know how old it is, 1991, maybe earlier. I like it a lot. When they stopped including AT connectors on motherboards I got a new keyboard (just went to the computer store and said: "One keyboard please"). I had no idea that there were different kinds of keyboards. The one I got was a Cherry as well, but a cheap one and I didn't like it. I didn't like the way the keystrokes felt, and I also didn't like the build quality (cheap). It felt flimsy. Part of the reason I liked my old one was because it was big and sturdy, like a bulldozer. Very strong.

Since I couldn't get an AT to PS/2 converter at the time I sort of puzzeled it together using electrical tape and a - we call it "sugar" because it resembles a sugar cube, apparently in English it's called "pillar terminal". I didn't know the correct wiring so it was trial and error. As you can see from the pictures it's pretty messy, but it still works. Now I know soldering and would do it neatly, with some heatshrink et al, but I was 15 at the time and was pretty proud of myself. Just to tell you how much I liked this keyboard.

Three years ago (maybe more) the left CRTL key broke off. I don't even remember how it happened. The key itself isnot broken, but the switch underneath is (I did lose the key in the meantime however). I learned to use the right CRTL button, which is a little akward when using shortcut (I photo-edit a lot) but it works. I was just not ready to give up on that keyboard yet. I remember I had just purchased a new pc and with it came some ****ty wireless cheap Microsoft (or Trust? don't remember) keyboard that reinforced my belief that I was the only one in the world with still an old mechanical keyboard and that all the other keyboards in the world were crap. I didn't know the difference mechanical vs membrane at the time, just that the old one felt good and the new one didn't. And since I was probably one of the only people in the world who had kept his 20 year old keyboard, it was very precious to me and I didn't want to let go.

So here we are now, I'm putting together a new pc and, since that missing key has been bothering me more and more lately, it seemed time to buy a new keyboard. On my job I encountered both a Keytronic and a Cherry (don't know the model number, don't have access to it anymore), which both were big and sturdy as well, and it gave me hope that quality keyboard do still exist. So I typed in "highend keyboard" on google, found out first about Das Keyboard, then Steelseries 7G, and then this forum. I've been reading about switches for some days now, and would like to seek your advice. I know what I want pretty well, I just don't have the chance to try the different switches before I buy, so maybe some of you can help me.

But what I would like the most is to perhaps repair my old keyboard (although I'd really fancy a black board for a change). So I've been looking things up, and apparently it uses the impopular MY switches (but I dig it). If anyone has or know a way to get hold of one Cherry MY switch (and one grey left CTRL key), please let me know.

But I kind of assume that won't be possible. So let me tell you what I want in a keyboard. It should be big. Sturdy. Heavy. And simple. No backlights, no egronomical crap, no LEDs apart from the standard ones - and please let those be standard green or yellow/orange, no blue or red or whatever. It should be as simple and classic as possible. I don't like the Das Keyboard design for example. The design is fine but the curve at the top where the logo is printed on - what is up with that? Also, a red logo on the topside? I feel I'm already willing to compromise by allowing a logo over there (my old Cherry only has a logo on the bottom) but please, let it be black/white/grey, but not red. I'd like an all black model as well if at all possible.

Okay, so I'm overreacting a little, but just to get my point accross. I'm actually willing to compromise on the design aspect a lot if the feel is great. But that's the thing. It's not like I'm new to mechanical keyboards: I've been using one my entire life. But I only know that one. It's hard to imagine how another would feel although I've read the descriptions and seen the graphs. Let me tell you what, besides its sturdiness, I like about my old Cherry. I like the cushioned feel. The force you have to use gets greater with every mm. It's not linear at all. It's exponential. (Like in economics: the economy isn't just growing, the rate at which it grows as well goes up - although at the moment it doesn't). Somewhere halfway the key gets registered and after that the force needed gets so big you never bottom out. Hence, cushioned. I like that. Some people complain about the force needed, calling the keys stiff. They don't seem stif to me, but hey I only had this one. I also like the noise.

So when I'm reading about switches, this is what I think:

Cherry blacks: I don't like the linearity, but perhaps I'd like the stiffness. I don't game though.
Cherry blue: I think I'd like that, the noise and the tactile response. I'd like to try one with tactile response for a change, it seems like a great invention. I'm just worried the keys aren't stiff enough or the noise will be too loud.
Cherry brown: I like the fact that they are more quiet and more stiff than the blues.
Cherry clear: Like the browns, but more force needed. Seems like my thing. Only available in Deck Legend AFAIK? Not my design at all. I'm willing to compromise, but I'm not willing to go that far, sorry.

Then we have some obscure ones I didn't find a lot of info on.

Alps clicky and not clicky. Seems like the Cherry blues and browns, don't quite get the difference. Is the force needed more or less than the cherries? Is the key registration point higher or lower? Are there any graphs to compare, or only subjective experiences to read? I'm very interested in these (non clicky I think), but would like to see them compared to the browns/blues. Also, besides the click/non click, any difference between the two in terms of force and registration point?

Buckling springs. Also seems like my thing, but can't find a lot of info. How does the force and registration point compare to the others? A lot of noize, but I think I can handle it if the feel is what I'm looking for. Essentially, I can handle the clicking, but can my girlfriend?

So, sorry for the wall of text, but I feel it was needed to explain about myself and what I'm looking for. If any of you could provide me with some advice and answer some of my questions, I'd be very grateful. If any of you could provide me with a spare MY switch and perhaps the key I need, it would be very cool as well. As much as I'd like a black keyboard, it would be fun to be able to use my old trusted Cherry again (am I thinking while writing this text on an poor quality laptop keyboard *sigh*). Who knows, I might buy another switch type anyway, just to try out new things. Also, money is kind of an issue, since I'm in the process of building a new pc already. But I'm willing to pay for quality. I'm also not afraid to do some custom work myself and change some switches or whatever.

So here are some pictures:

Top view. Note the missing key on the lower left and the PS/2 connector. Standard mouse for scale.

Detail of missing key. Switch is broken off, key has been lost over the years.

Detail of LEDs. They are green.

My "custom job" on the connector.

Label with serial number, version, etc.

A mysterious and very tiny switch I noticed just now, right next to the label. Any idea what it does?

My cat.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #1 on: Sat, 30 July 2011, 09:45:42 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

That keyboard is not very well liked here, but I'm glad that you do. Taste in keyboards is a very subjective thing.
People here usually buy that model just so that they can harvest the high-quality key caps to put on their newer keyboards and then they toss the rest.

Are you in France? I have a bunch of spare MY "switches" and you could have a few of them for the cost of postage. If you are not in the the EU, then getting it from a geekhacker more close to you might be better. I don't have any spare Control key cap, unfortunately but I think there is a great chance that someone else here has.

The MY "switch" assembly with housing, slider and springs sits on top of a membrane that is the actual electrical switch.
To remove the broken "switch", you must open the case, lift the plate that the switches sit on and then press with a screwdriver onto two plastic tabs on the underside of the plate. To put a new switch in place, you just push it in until it snaps into place -- but be sure that it is correctly oriented with the little "bump" in the top right corner.
Unfortunately, if the membrane is broken, then replacing just the switch assembly that sits on top won't be enough.
« Last Edit: Sat, 30 July 2011, 09:48:20 by Findecanor »
🍉

Offline N8N

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 30 July 2011, 09:56:28 »
I was just getting ready to throw in the trash the PCB from a G81/MY keyboard.  Not all the switches are good, but enough are that you should be able to fix "old faithful" if you want to.  (I bought a package of two boards because I was buying something else from the same seller, I wanted some of the keycaps etc., and it was $9 for two busted boards.  I made one working board out of two and gave it to another GHer who bought another one of my old boards.)  If you are in CONUS the PCB is yours for shipping cost.  I'll even throw in a "CTRL" key, but all I have are lasered, not doubleshot like you have.

I actually do have a space saver G81/MY board w/ black doubleshots; I hate the feel of it but I'm keeping that one because I might use the doubleshots on something someday.  But let me know if you want the other stuff.

Personally I think if you like the stiff feel of the MY switches you ought to try a board with Cherry MX blacks, or maybe clears.  Unfortunately the blacks are likely the only ones you're going to be able to find in an off the shelf new board; clears you pretty much have to buy an old Cherry POS board off eBay or similar to get.  Only Deck makes new keyboards with clears AFAIK.  The blacks have a stiff spring and are linear; the clears have a little bit of a tactile bump to them which I like but you may not if you're used to the MY switches.
Filco Majestouch-2 with Cherry Corp. doubleshot keys - Leopold Tenkeyless Tactile Force with Wyse doubleshots - Silicon Graphics 9500900 - WASD V1 - IBM Model M 52G9658 - Noppoo Choc Pro with Cherry lasered PBT keycaps - Wyse 900866-01 - Cherry G80-8200LPBUS/07 - Dell AT101W - several Cherry G81s (future doubleshot donors) (order of current preference) (dang I have too many keyboards, I really only need two)

Offline swaf

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 30 July 2011, 18:43:55 »
I'm in Belgium actually, but France's a good guess - you noticed my key layout, Findecanor? I'll pm you for some switches. Thanks for the reply.

Thanks for the offer N8N, but I guess I live to far away. If no one else has a spare ctrl-key I might contact you for yours, shippings costs to Europe for one single key won't hurt me that much I guess. Are all Cherry keycaps interchangeable btw?

While it might be true that blacks resemble my MYs the most, after all this information and eye-opening (you know, I really thought there weren't any quality keyboards out there, not anymore) I just want to try something else. I want to try this tactile bumb thing.

I'm looking at Unicomp. Something completely different than what I'm used to, big and sturdy, oldschool, and not to expensive so if I don't like it at all it won't matter that much. It's just, the grey keys, I don't know. Any compatible black keycaps available somewhere?

Offline N8N

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 30 July 2011, 19:17:51 »
Unicomp = IBM Model M...  a great keyboard.  Is actually my favorite keyboard but I don't use it out of consideration for my coworkers.  That's actually how I ended up here.

If you want to try various Cherry switches you're actually in a better position in EU than we are here in the USA to get them.  Some of the Cherry POS (Point of Sale, not Piece of Excrement) boards used clear stem switches which I love, and that's about the only affordable way to try them over here.

I dunno how it is over there, but here, eBay has both Model Ms and Cherry POS boards w/ both clears and browns for cheap, you just have to pay attention to the model numbers on the Cherry boards because there are lots of MY and other boards as well.. only the boards w/ "G80" in the part number have MX switches.  "G81" = MY (what you have) and all the others as far as I know are really not of any interest to the serious typist or gamer.  I bought a whole mess of boards recently because I was just getting PO'd with the boards that are commercially available and didn't want to sink $150 or more into a new board unless I knew that I liked the switches I was using - I can get a Cherry POS board w/ either clears or browns for about $35 shipped here.  just something to think about - you could collect some, try them, and then sell off the ones you don't like (which is exactly what I'm doing right now - I'm typing this on a POS board that I paid something like $30 for, and aside from the fact that I prefer clear switches to the browns that I'm using right now, there's absolutely nothing wrong with it, although it looks a little goofy with the card swiper up top, and the switches are PCB mounted not plate mounted which supposedly makes the feel a little more precise.)

Now for fixing your G81...  if you can get your hands on some replacement switches, I have found that the stems on the MY switches are removable just like the MX's but with a different procedure.  With the board in front of you in the normal typing position, take two small flat jeweler's screwdrivers and insert them into the switch beside the white stem and pry in and up a little bit.  the stem and spring should pop out.  I had two MY boards w/ busted stems and that's how I mixed and matched to make one good one out of them.  So if the only thing wrong with your ctrl switch is that the stem is busted, you can just swap in a good stem and keep on rolling.

You might try Ascaii in Berlin for a keycap; he's selling Cherry doubleshots on Deskthority and just offered me some other Cherry caps that I needed - I probably won't take him up on that unless I end up buying some doubleshots from him, but Berlin is a heck of a lot closer to you than DC.
Filco Majestouch-2 with Cherry Corp. doubleshot keys - Leopold Tenkeyless Tactile Force with Wyse doubleshots - Silicon Graphics 9500900 - WASD V1 - IBM Model M 52G9658 - Noppoo Choc Pro with Cherry lasered PBT keycaps - Wyse 900866-01 - Cherry G80-8200LPBUS/07 - Dell AT101W - several Cherry G81s (future doubleshot donors) (order of current preference) (dang I have too many keyboards, I really only need two)

Offline xwhatsit

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 30 July 2011, 20:53:58 »
I think you can still buy MY switches new, can't you?

You do sound like a prime IBM Model M/Unicomp candidate :P If you're worried about the grey keycaps, you can buy a set of black (but blank! They have no printing) keys from Unicomp for about $US20-25 when you make your order. I suppose you're looking at the black case/grey keys one on their website? Personally I prefer the original grey (or beige) case and grey keys. You can order it in either.

I know what you mean about knowing a keyboard is good but not knowing why. The first computer I used was my grandfather's, an old 386 clone. It was Acer, I think, and had an excellent clicky Alps keyboard. Every other keyboard I used afterwards (rubber domes) felt crap for years. When I started work programming and had to type a lot at work, I was a bit gutted when I learned he'd thrown it out, so started down this path... and now have a bit of a collection :P
« Last Edit: Sat, 30 July 2011, 20:56:58 by xwhatsit »
Beam spring IBM 5251 (7361073/7362149) & IBM 3727 (5641316) | Model F IBM 122-key terminal & IBM PC-AT 84-key | Model M Unicomp 122-key terminal | Cherry MX Blue Leopold Tenkeyless

Offline swaf

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 31 July 2011, 05:27:13 »
Quote from: N8N;390176
If you want to try various Cherry switches you're actually in a better position in EU than we are here in the USA to get them.  Some of the Cherry POS (Point of Sale, not Piece of Excrement) boards used clear stem switches which I love, and that's about the only affordable way to try them over here.

I dunno how it is over there, but here, eBay has both Model Ms and Cherry POS boards w/ both clears and browns for cheap

Strangely enough, I can find new Cherry keyboards in Europe using ebay, but all the older boards are US-based. It's still cheap enough though. Shipping costs around 26 dollars, so for under $40 I can get either the brown or the white switched POS keyboard with cardreader (this guy sells a lot of them). I'll give it some thought.

Also, in the mean time I realised Unicomp is also US based and has no importers in Europe that I'm aware off, so with the higher shipping costs the price will be higher than expected. But I think I'll give it a try anyways.

You may have noticed my current board has a French/Belgian layout, but I've been wanting to change to US int. for some time now. It'll take some adjustment time, but the layout has obvious advantages over my azerty layout (such as not having to use the shift key everytime you want a fullstop). But it'll be hard enough adjusting to the new layout without using blank keycaps. So thanks for the suggestion, xwhatsit, but I think I'll pass... On the other hand, the grey keys in grey casing seems nice, I'll look into that.
« Last Edit: Sun, 31 July 2011, 05:30:17 by swaf »

Offline False_Dmitry_II

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 31 July 2011, 12:13:34 »
Yeah, I'd say that you should try clears, buckling springs and alps whites. Since you don't like the look of the more modern boards anyway, it shouldn't be hard to find other vintage boards with those switches. Past that, you could always buy a few G81's as well.

If you posted a WTB in the classifieds for them, you might be able to get some G81's pretty cheaply.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin (11 Nov. 1755)

Offline CeeSA

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 01 August 2011, 01:55:55 »
i have some new MY Boards w/o caps for shipping costs if needed

try all kind of MX Switches follow the link in my sig.
« Last Edit: Mon, 01 August 2011, 02:03:49 by CeeSA »

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 01 August 2011, 08:00:23 »
I posted half a dozen MY switches to swaf today.

I had a collection of loose MY switches in a bag already. I keep them for trying out  different layouts for a custom (Cherry MX) keyboard I have in mind. If I cut off the tabs on the bottom of a switch, I can place it on a flat surface, but unfortunately for this purpose, the black plastic does not take glue well.
🍉

Offline swaf

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 01 August 2011, 13:52:06 »
Thanks, Findecandor!