Author Topic: So I just got a board with MX Blues...  (Read 2337 times)

Offline Quarzac

• A very busy dude!
  • Still around, sometimes.
So I just got a board with MX Blues...
« on: Wed, 31 August 2011, 16:54:48 »
Wow. That is my reaction. I bought a Blackwidow Ultimate off a fellow GHer and it's an amazing experience. It's so much different from my Model M. The lower actuation force is definitely noticeable. I don't know if I will be able to type without bottoming out, but I don't think I'm going to be going back to the Model M, at least not for a while. This matches my setup much better too, even though the Model M has some sexy curves. I love the sound too. Few things are better than a good clicky keyboard.
Risen from the dead for a model F.

Wyse buy colors were GSY for the dark grey, GBA for the light grey, and BBI for the fonts.

Offline simon_C

« Reply #1 on: Wed, 31 August 2011, 20:47:08 »
yeah i just got a blue board myself, in my case the Xarmor u9+. i noticed how much lighter the actuation force is than my AEXII alps switches. So far, im lovin it.

Offline Quarzac

• A very busy dude!
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 31 August 2011, 20:51:36 »
It's erring on the side of ridiculous. Having used this board for half a day though, I've found the two-step release of the keys a little odd. But I'm getting used to it.

Wyse buy colors were GSY for the dark grey, GBA for the light grey, and BBI for the fonts.

Offline hella

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 01 September 2011, 01:44:37 »
Tactility is the #1 reason why I like mechanical keyboards.  With that being said buckling springs and cherry blues are my #1 and #2 favorite switches.  Glad you found something you liked :)

Offline Izza

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 01 September 2011, 03:59:14 »
Black springs with blue stems feel nicer, IMO

Might give it a whirl if it seems TOO light.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline simon_C

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 01 September 2011, 11:25:13 »
so far, im diggin it myself. its a lot nicer to type on than my AEXII

Offline Evil_Spork

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 01 September 2011, 13:07:13 »
I'd hate to see what you guys thought of MX reds then! lol

You can practically look at them funny and you get a keypress.
Noppoo Choc Mini "Tea Axis"/MX Brown
Leopold Tenkeyless MX Brown - SOLD!
Filco Majestouch-2 Linear R Limited Edition Tenkeyless with MX Red

Offline Quarzac

• A very busy dude!
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 01 September 2011, 14:01:21 »
It's not our fault we have manly hands. Blame the Model Ms. I probably won't be doing any switch swaps on this board, because It's plate mounted, but I'll probably make my next one a PCB mounted brown. I'm just not sure which boards offer that yet, nor do I plan on looking into it for a while (that is, when I get a job.)

Offline lucky777

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 01 September 2011, 22:00:45 »
I somehow type slower with MX Blues compared to White Alps. What's weird is I type fastest on those crappy Acer switches (still don't like the feel though).  I think it's because I easily make too many mistakes with the blues ( because they're so light). MX Blues do feel much nicer though.

Offline Spinsle McGee

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 01 September 2011, 22:40:46 »
On a side-note, As a guy who started out with MX Blues, would it be natural for my next board to be a Buckling Spring board? I might need something when I'm in full on rage mode.
Keyboards: Leopold Tenkeyless, Steelseries 6Gv2, Wants an IBM Model M
Mice: Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer 3.0, Razer Deathadder

Offline False_Dmitry_II

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 02 September 2011, 08:58:08 »
Hey, I like acer switches. They aren't crappy. Then again people have said all sorts of strange things about them that aren't true about mine. Like how long it takes to activate them. Mine activate closer to the click/bump than any cherry switch I've used.

I would say it's more common for people who really like alps or BS as their main switch also seem to tend towards the other as well. However, if you've tried neither of those two, then yes you may well like them. They are also really cheap.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin (11 Nov. 1755)

Offline Quarzac

• A very busy dude!
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 02 September 2011, 11:32:19 »
Quote from: Spinsle McGee;409142
On a side-note, As a guy who started out with MX Blues, would it be natural for my next board to be a Buckling Spring board? I might need something when I'm in full on rage mode.

I would say try one for sure. Considering you can get one for <$50 shipped, there's no reason not to try one out. If you don't like it, which I highly doubt will happen, you can always resell it and keep on trucking. Apparently ALPS are pretty tough too, and you can probably get one of those for less. I've seen people selling the Dell AT101Ws or whatever they are for around $20.

Offline hella

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 02 September 2011, 11:45:54 »
Quote from: Spinsle McGee;409142

Yep, It'd be a great transition.  The IBM Model M doesn't feel nearly as hard to push as other 70g actuation boards.  Cherry blacks are much stiffer.

Buckling springs have a reduced push force after the actuation point and after this threshold the switch only requires 40-50g of force.  I say give it a try, BS boards are cheap and easy to find.