Author Topic: Filco vs. Ducky vs. Leopold  (Read 16870 times)

Offline wompwomp

Filco vs. Ducky vs. Leopold
« on: Thu, 15 September 2011, 10:21:15 »
I was wondering, when it comes the "feel" between these keyboards, what's the difference?

Also, which do you perfer and why?

Btw, I know that the Filco is the best built/quality, but I just wanted to know how they feel in comparison with one another.

Offline Lester

« Reply #1 on: Thu, 15 September 2011, 10:28:52 »
Ducky!

Because it's so much cheaper :)

Offline thebilgerat

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 15 September 2011, 10:53:36 »
Leopold, because the whiners about cherry stabilizers need to be stopped, and because its always "filco filco filco" around here!

Yeah, Ducky is probably the way to go.  Nice and cheap.

Offline RiGS

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 15 September 2011, 11:09:03 »
Leopold is only cost $109 USD.
Last edited by RiGS; Jan 2011

Offline gmorf33

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 15 September 2011, 13:21:01 »
Quote from: RiGS;416600
Leopold is only cost $109 USD.

Yeah, but by the time you pay for shipping from EK you're at basically the same price as a Filco from amazon.com.   If anyone knows a place to get the Leopold's free shipping then that changes things.  From what i can find in the US, these 2 keyboards are essentially the same cost so direct comparisons can be made without considering price.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 15 September 2011, 13:25:45 »
Quote from: thebilgerat;416590
Leopold, because the whiners about cherry stabilizers need to be stopped, and because its always "filco filco filco" around here!

Yeah, Ducky is probably the way to go.  Nice and cheap.

I agree.  The Cherry stabilizer whining is a little overboard.  You would almost think manufacturers put rubber domes under those keys the way it sounds around here.  While I do agree that the Filco-style stabilizers feel a little better, I wouldn't go as far as to suggest they are worlds different.  Another thing to think about, too, is that the Cherry-style stabilizers tend to be noticeably quieter than the Filco-style.

Offline sg1717

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 15 September 2011, 13:51:42 »
First Post woohooo!  Been lurking for a bout a week or so, and decided to jump in on this thread with a question...  What are your thoughts on WASD Keyboard vs Leopold?  The reason I ask is because I can get the for the same price including shipping and tax.  The only thing is if I want reds, I would have to get a Leopold or wait...  Sorry if this is considered thread jacking.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 15 September 2011, 13:55:23 »
I can't say anything about Leopolds (because I don't have one), but I do know you would be making a great decision by picking up a WASD.

Offline sam113101

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 15 September 2011, 15:13:18 »
Quote from: itlnstln;416682
I agree.  The Cherry stabilizer whining is a little overboard.  You would almost think manufacturers put rubber domes under those keys the way it sounds around here.  While I do agree that the Filco-style stabilizers feel a little better, I wouldn't go as far as to suggest they are worlds different.  Another thing to think about, too, is that the Cherry-style stabilizers tend to be noticeably quieter than the Filco-style.
How are they quieter? My leopold has a squeaky backspace, which makes it noisier than my das.
Hoping to hear from you again, your dearest friend, sam113101.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 15 September 2011, 15:15:58 »
Have you tried lubing it?  I haven't had that problem on two Duckys and three Cherrys.

Offline Chobopants

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 15 September 2011, 16:33:02 »
I'll whine about the Leopold stabilizers all I want. :)

They felt so bad I sold the board in less than a week. Basically dousing every part of it in lube did nothing and the keys felt mushy no matter what. Blech.

I'm all about getting something that isn't Filco if it can compare (these WASD boards sound like a good deal) but all I know is that Cherry Blues with Cherry-style stabs feels like GARBAGE.
Realforce 87UW 45g - Filco Blue 87 - Filco Linear R - Filco Brown 104

Offline thebilgerat

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 15 September 2011, 17:23:26 »
I can say this about the stabilizers on my Leo... there certainly was a "difference" between non-stabilized/stabilized keys at first, and even between stabilized/stabilized ones (left shift felt 'mushier' than right shift, backspace was stiffer than enter), but after I actuated the stabilized ones roughly and repeatedly they seem to have settled in and aren't being annoying anymore.  Granted, this is a brown board, so...YMMV.  I've had absolutely no problems with squeakings of any sort.  Then again, I'm not in the habit of actuating caps lock or backspace very often, and the spacebar feels nice and crisp.

Offline teraflame

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 15 September 2011, 22:01:51 »
Quote from: wompwomp;416534
Btw, I know that the Filco is the best built/quality

thats false, WASD is better.
Rubber in domes

Offline wompwomp

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 16 September 2011, 00:32:45 »
Quote from: teraflame;416926
thats false, WASD is better.

Care to elaborate?

Also, no one really answered my question. Lol.

Offline thebilgerat

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 16 September 2011, 02:15:01 »
German female wrestlers...german...

Offline Deverica Wolf

• My name is Hack, Geek Hack.
    • Head-Fi
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 20 September 2011, 02:52:19 »
Quote from: ripster;416996
Filcos feels light and airy.  Japanese cherry blossoms under your fingers.

I couldn't have said it better. That IS how they feel. :yo:
UNICOMP.Spacesaver BS  |  FILCO Majestouch-2 TKL  |  FILCO Majestouch-2  [-_-]~ TKL  |  FILCO Majestouch-2 TKL
FILCO Majestouch-2 TKL  |  Deck Legend - ToXic  |  CHERRY Touchboard ITA

Offline gmorf33

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 20 September 2011, 08:43:46 »
and who doesn't love cherry blossoms?

Offline The_Metrologist

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 20 September 2011, 11:06:03 »
Quote from: gmorf33;419049
and who doesn't love cherry blossoms?

I don't, because every Spring people flock to Wash. D.C. to see cherry blossoms around the Tidal Basin and my daily commute sucks more than it usually does.

Offline kingqway

« Reply #18 on: Tue, 20 September 2011, 13:16:58 »
I'm actually very curious as to if there's a way to change the stabilizers on the leopold without skyrocketing prices? I couldn't figure out what exactly was so different about the leopold keyboard compared to my das until I finally opened it up (new to mechanical keyboard scene) and found out that the stabilizers were completely different. As for the leopold and the way it is now, I actually like it a lot, except for those stabilizers, and I wish I could change them if there was a way. I mean, I know WASD sells the wires & pins but I don't think they have the thing that actually holds the wires in place. I was told in a different thread that they can get pretty expensive, does anybody know where you can purchase those for a relatively cheap price and if its easy to install in the first place?

It kinda makes me regret getting the leopold, but not enough for me to hate it, since I enjoy typing it on quite a bit. Also, is it "okay to buy filcos from amazon?" I initially wanted a filco until EK changed to leopolds so then I ran out of ideas and just got myself a leopold since I read up that it was pretty much a Filco with slightly different specs. Not sure how the whole amazon exchange works so I was always wary of buying it from them.
Das Professional Silent || White Filco TKL MX Blue || Leopold FC500R MX Brown

Offline gmorf33

« Reply #19 on: Tue, 20 September 2011, 13:56:28 »
Quote from: kingqway;419159
It kinda makes me regret getting the leopold, but not enough for me to hate it, since I enjoy typing it on quite a bit. Also, is it "okay to buy filcos from amazon?" I initially wanted a filco until EK changed to leopolds so then I ran out of ideas and just got myself a leopold since I read up that it was pretty much a Filco with slightly different specs. Not sure how the whole amazon exchange works so I was always wary of buying it from them.

Are you in the US?   If you are, then what you see listed on amazon is what you get.  There is no exchange, despite the vendor selling thruogh amazon is in another country.   I just ordered my Filco TKL from amazon with free shipping for the price listed - $129.  The wierd thing is, I didn't get charged tax like I normally do (since Amazon has a physical presence in my state).  Was a nice little bonus.   I might suggest you pay the extra $4-5 for shipping because i've been waiting what seems like forever on the free super saver shipping.   It took about 3 days after the order for them to ship it, then it sat in the same place for another 3 days.  Looks like its on the move again today.  I'm hoping I get it tomorrow.

Offline Herodotus

« Reply #20 on: Tue, 20 September 2011, 22:03:44 »
I've got a leopold and recently purchased a filco off of Amazon via keyboardco. The mechanics are nice and the feel is better than the leopold, due to the lack of cherry stabilizers; but I'm getting some seriously loud ping off this thing.

Offline Urglifast

« Reply #21 on: Tue, 20 September 2011, 23:31:05 »
Duckys and Leopold stabilizers feel like Russian Female wrestlers of questionable chromosomal genetic makeup under your fingers.  Imagine a duck running the 100m.

I've used keyboards with both stabilizers, they're definitely different.  however, i think the cherry stabilizers feel more solid under my fingers.  there's less wiggle to the keys and the actions feel more crisp.  

I've been called MUCH worse the last 3 months.

on that note...it doesn't matter what they call you; as long as you are right.