Author Topic: A Short Filco Review  (Read 1053 times)

Offline BookOfGreg

A Short Filco Review
« on: Mon, 19 September 2011, 07:04:56 »
Hey all, this is just a few comments on the ISO version of the Filco Majestouch2
I must start out by saying I'm new to the whole mechanical keyboard scene and I'm coming from a MS Wireless Keyboard 1000 and this might show in the next few comments.
Just unboxed it and it looks great but I can't help feeling the whole thing seems cheap. The keycaps are quite thin and don't feel as solid as I imagined they would be for such an expensive keyboard. They just feel really cheap and they click when I release the key as well as press down which I didn't expect and adds to the cheap feel of it (is this the filco ping?). There is still quite a bit of lateral movement in each of them and the stabilisers in the backspace, space and enter keys rattle when rocked side to side though I can press on any point on any of the keys and they are fine.
The whole keyboard is wonderfully heavy and the foot pads on them are absolutely great. There isn't a millimetre of give to the board which is something that does drive me up the wall. The switches themselves are pretty nice to type with though they are louder than I thought they would be and I am still bottoming out the keys. The resistance is just right for me to rest my fingers on and they give a slight amount but not to actuation point which is a lovely feeling.

Overall its a good keyboard, the switches are nice but not amazing and the best part is the footpads and the weight. The keycaps definitely are way too cheap as standard and the font on them is only alright as it looks old fashioned compared to the MS.
Its a well made competent board but I didn't buy it to be competent, I expected wonderful for my £114 and so far it just doesn't cut it. I'll enjoy it while it lasts but won't be getting another.

Offline Lolcakes

A Short Filco Review
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 19 September 2011, 07:19:43 »
Hi! I agree with you that the key caps kinda feel thin and cheap. However I think everything else is spot on imo. I actually think the font on the key caps is quite nice.
I am looking into joining the group buy for double shot key caps, which look wonderful. The looks of litster's Filco is what inspired me to think in that direction :P http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?21911-Dressing-Up-Keyboards-with-Keycaps

Anyways I hope you enjoy typing on your new kb (=