Author Topic: Questions about Filco's Black Switch Tenkeyless.  (Read 1153 times)

Offline Deverica Wolf

• My name is Hack, Geek Hack.
    • Head-Fi
Questions about Filco's Black Switch Tenkeyless.
« on: Wed, 21 September 2011, 06:01:41 »
Hi. :cheer2:

I'm getting a bit sick of my Deck. It's a fine keyboard, it really is, and is great to look at, but I am not sure if the Flat layout is for me. I mean I do fine with it but it bothers me sometimes too. Also, the LEDs are hindering me from changing any of the switches...and I'd now prefer a Tenkeyless.

I am looking at Filco's line of Black Switch Tenkeyless keyboards, mainly for first-person shooters...I have a couple of questions.

What is the quality of Filco's Cherry Blacks? The only Blacks I've ever tried are Deck's. I find them incredibly soft to press and my fingers never fatigue from them. I know many complain about that problem, especially with the Steelseries 6GV2. I also know many praise the Thermaltake Tt esports Meka G1 for it's so-called "soft Blacks", which is really how I would describe Deck's switches.

What I'm asking is for those that have tried the Filco's, how nice are they on the fingers? Thank you very much.

Second, is there a guide where I can find information about changing switches for certain keys? I'd like to leave WARS (Colemak) Black, but change, say, Shift (Crouch) to a Red-like Linear, Caps Lock (Prone) to a Blue-like Click, and say P (Reload) to a Clear-like Bump. I'd appreciate any help or guides you can show me as this would be the first time I try a mod. like that.

Thanks everyone! :clap2:
« Last Edit: Wed, 21 September 2011, 06:09:56 by Deverica Wolf »
UNICOMP.Spacesaver BS  |  FILCO Majestouch-2 TKL  |  FILCO Majestouch-2  [-_-]~ TKL  |  FILCO Majestouch-2 TKL
FILCO Majestouch-2 TKL  |  Deck Legend - ToXic  |  CHERRY Touchboard ITA

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 21 September 2011, 07:20:55 »
Can't comment on the mods, but my tenkeyless with blacks is fantastic.

Offline placebo guy

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 21 September 2011, 07:21:02 »
I currently have 3 Filco MX Black keyboards and also a 6GV2.

The angle of the 6GV2 is slightly inclined, so the keys feel very heavy to me.  The flatness of the Filco helps alleviate the pressure, so I feel the keys are lighter.  I'm a heavy typer, so I tend to bottom out.

I do recommend the Filco over the 6GV2 because the big-ass Enter key on the 6GV2 sucks donkey balls.  I also tried the TT Meka at Microcenter, and it's comparable to a Filco switch-feel wise.
Leopold TKL MXRed; RF 103U 55G; WASD MXBlack; Unicomp Spacesaver; AT101W; RK-9000 Blue; various Filco

Offline Deverica Wolf

• My name is Hack, Geek Hack.
    • Head-Fi
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 21 September 2011, 13:54:30 »
Ohhhhh. That's good. Thanks guys! :boxing:

Now I need an answer on the mods. and I am good to go on my order (as soon as I get money). :hat:
UNICOMP.Spacesaver BS  |  FILCO Majestouch-2 TKL  |  FILCO Majestouch-2  [-_-]~ TKL  |  FILCO Majestouch-2 TKL
FILCO Majestouch-2 TKL  |  Deck Legend - ToXic  |  CHERRY Touchboard ITA

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 21 September 2011, 15:55:50 »
Check the Wiki. Ripster has a few entries in there about switching out Cherry MX switches and stems. Plate mounted boards like the Filco will be require de-soldering/soldering though.