Author Topic: Need advice of a good gaming mechanical keyboard  (Read 1687 times)

Offline Perseverance

Need advice of a good gaming mechanical keyboard
« on: Mon, 19 September 2011, 20:55:37 »
I am looking for a full size mechanical gaming keyboard (for SC2) and can't figure out what I want. I've read through about 30 different forum threads and have absorbed tons of information but all that does is confuse me. Hopefully you experts can just tell me what I want since I have no idea xD.

Here's what I am looking for:

Full size (meaning numpad/arrows etc.)
High quality
NOT A WHITE ONE (I just don't like them for some reason)

I would like 2-3 that fit this description if it wasn't too much trouble. Oh, and the price doesn't really matter. I just want something that's top notch.

Offline Quarzac

• A very busy dude!
  • Still around, sometimes.
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 19 September 2011, 21:12:15 »
Blackwidow Ultimate, Blackwidow, BW Stealth varients, the Corsairs (K90 and K60? [STRIKE]Not yet released[/STRIKE]. Available through Corsair's website, though listed as out of stock.), Steelseries 7G and 6Gv2.

All these fit.
« Last Edit: Tue, 20 September 2011, 00:06:12 by Quarzac »
Risen from the dead for a model F.

Wyse buy colors were GSY for the dark grey, GBA for the light grey, and BBI for the fonts.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 20 September 2011, 00:00:23 »
Quote from: Quarzac;418891
Blackwidow Ultimate, Blackwidow, BW Stealth varients, the Corsairs (K90 and K60? Not yet released.), Steelseries 7G and 6Gv2.

All these fit.
I thought the corsairs were available to order (or preorder?) via corsair's website.

I highly recommend a WASD keyboard, though there are certainly many good options.

Offline Kamikaze K

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 20 September 2011, 00:55:53 »
Don't worry you're not the only one that's had a bit of information overload....

The suggestion above are good ones.  I'm currently using the Blackwidow Ultimate which uses Cherry Blue switches. It's a good solid board.  I'm yet to experience any of the issues that's been reported on here.  There's a nice heft to it and has backlighting for my late night gaming sessions.  I'm on the fence about the macro keys though... If it wasn't there I probably would even notice I didn't have it. But since it's there I'm consciously trying to make use of them. The only thing I wish it had was some kind of KRO which would come in handy for games like SC2 for you where you have to have multiple key presses for groupings and such.  Razer's new Blackwidow Stealth does have 6KRO via USB and uses the more silent Cherry Brown switch.   NKRO also one of the reasons why I'm currently toying with the idea of getting another Mech Keyboard and I'm eyeing the upcoming Ducky Shine's.   It's one of the few other mech boards out there with backlighting along with the BWU.  Is backlighting an important feature for you?  If it is then you might want to look at that option.  If not you can always look at Filco's range... They've just released their Multicam model thats more tilted towards gaming.  

Good luck on choosing.  There's a tonne of options out there and, like you, I'm kinda scratching my head trying to decide on the best mech board... There's just so many options and considerations when it comes to deciding.

Edit:  Also as mentioned about the new Corsair range looks like a good option to but I'm not too sure about the red switches they're using.... Really likin' the design and look of their K60's... No backlighting though. Only on their K90's.
FILCO Majestouch 2 Camouflage Tenkeyless [Black]
DUCKY DK9008 Shining [Blue]
CM STORM Quickfire Rapid [Red]
TOPRE REALFORCE 87U

Offline Perseverance

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 20 September 2011, 07:20:47 »
I went ahead and bought the Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth edition. I like having the back lighting and I figured Razer would be tailoring their keyboards 100% to gaming.

Offline gmorf33

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 20 September 2011, 08:33:50 »
I wish my local BB's would freakin stock the Blackwidow mech line.    There's 3 or 4 around here and none of them have any of the Razor mechanicals.   I just wanted to try them out to help decide on a keyswitch but BB is trying to secretly ruin my life with their lack of stock >_>

Offline spzz

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 20 September 2011, 08:33:57 »
:O, I'm surprised you went for a BW even though price isn't an issue, since Razer BW are usually considered to be lower quality than Filco or Leopolds. Unless you use the macro keys for Sc2, of
course.

Offline Mr. Perfect

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 21 September 2011, 15:23:51 »
Quote from: Perseverance;419026
I went ahead and bought the Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth edition. I like having the back lighting and I figured Razer would be tailoring their keyboards 100% to gaming.

To an extent, they do. The reprogrammable keys are a unique feature that quite a few people buy them for, though they didn't do much in the way of NKEY. Depends on what you need. Their marketing is 100% gaming though. :biggrin1:
Mr. Perfect - A name fraught with peril.

G80-8113HRBUS MX Clears, FC200R MX Clears, RK-9000v2 MX Blues.