Author Topic: [Oddforge] VE.A  (Read 237909 times)

Offline JDragon

Re: [Oddforge] VE.A
« Reply #350 on: Tue, 11 October 2016, 13:05:14 »
I planned on refinishing mine a different color. As long as the B-stock damage isn't harsh (deep dent, a mark that refinishing cannot repair), I would be okay with that. I've always wanted a VE.A in another color, one not offered in the GB.

That's a great idea. I'd love to pick up a B-stock one and do some mods to it - really give it some personality and make it mine. :D

Which color would the best for something like re-anodizing or powder coating? Or does it not matter?

Offline tripandfall426

« Reply #351 on: Tue, 11 October 2016, 13:47:14 »
Do you only have b-stock cases left over? or are these full kits that are marked as b-stock? If its a kit that at least supplies the PCB and case, I'd definitely be interested.

b.mini

Offline E3E

« Reply #352 on: Tue, 11 October 2016, 14:06:31 »
I planned on refinishing mine a different color. As long as the B-stock damage isn't harsh (deep dent, a mark that refinishing cannot repair), I would be okay with that. I've always wanted a VE.A in another color, one not offered in the GB.

That's a great idea. I'd love to pick up a B-stock one and do some mods to it - really give it some personality and make it mine. :D

Which color would the best for something like re-anodizing or powder coating? Or does it not matter?

I'm no expert, but to reanodize, it shouldn't matter. They strip the anodizing down and you can have the surface refinished before anodizing. Ever noticed how evangs' Van keyboards have a glossy finish? That would be polished aluminum. I think media blasting is the most typical finish. I've always wanted a board with a light brushed finish myself.

As far as powder coating, I think they can probably apply that over the anodized layer, but I'm not sure about the adhesion. There's also the option of cerakote too, which is cheap but very durable and comes in a ton of colors.

Offline jal

• I can't believe it's not gravy!
« Reply #353 on: Tue, 11 October 2016, 14:59:04 »
I'm no expert, but to reanodize, it shouldn't matter. They strip the anodizing down and you can have the surface refinished before anodizing. Ever noticed how evangs' Van keyboards have a glossy finish? That would be polished aluminum. I think media blasting is the most typical finish. I've always wanted a board with a light brushed finish myself.

As far as powder coating, I think they can probably apply that over the anodized layer, but I'm not sure about the adhesion. There's also the option of cerakote too, which is cheap but very durable and comes in a ton of colors.

Having it powder coated will involve stripping the anodization, too. There's a sand-blasting step to get everything aside from the raw metal off. Same with Cerakote.

In my experience, Cerakoting costs more than powder coating by maybe 50% or so - I guess that's the power of a brand name.

Offline E3E

« Reply #354 on: Tue, 11 October 2016, 15:10:18 »
Thanks for the clarification! Would you say that an anodized finish is the most durable of the three?

Offline dead_pixel_design

• IIIV is not a Roman Numeral. Positive Vibes.
« Reply #355 on: Tue, 11 October 2016, 15:30:00 »
+1 for b-stock buys

Offline TerryMathews

« Reply #356 on: Tue, 11 October 2016, 16:25:53 »
Thanks for the clarification! Would you say that an anodized finish is the most durable of the three?

Cerakote would be most durable if done right. On aluminum you don't have access to as many whiz bang finishing options as you do with steel.

Offline jal

• I can't believe it's not gravy!
« Reply #357 on: Tue, 11 October 2016, 16:33:33 »

Another wrinkle is that there are two types of anodization - type II and type III. Type III is the stronger of the two. (There is a type I, called "chromic", but I haven't heard of that being done much.) Type III also costs more, because it requires better process control.

And in comparing different treatments, it also helps to think about what they actually are. Anodization is a chemical process, that actually transforms the surface of the aluminum. (Check the wikipedia page for more; this isn't my specialty.) Cerakote is a hard surface coating. My understanding is that Cerakote is better for scratch resistance, whereas type III anodized surfaces withstand general wear better. (And type II is nice for appearance, but too thin to add much protection.)

Offline ceflame

« Reply #358 on: Tue, 11 October 2016, 22:53:50 »
Announcement from oddforge

Anyway, there was 6~7 batches and there's always some parts which contains minor issues.
Which contains minor dents of scratches, or slight color difference on each parts.
We didn't sent back parts with issues to factory yet.
That's what I meant by B-stock.

We need to check out your interests about it.
We will release those with discount if there's somebody who wants it. (around 20% from our MSRP)

I joined the GB for full group buy price (plus tax), and my case has a dent in it from shipping. Feels bad :(

Offline iamtootallforthis

• Something a lot Funnier
  • * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #359 on: Tue, 11 October 2016, 22:58:10 »

Anyway, there was 6~7 batches and there's always some parts which contains minor issues.
Which contains minor dents of scratches, or slight color difference on each parts.

We will release those with discount if there's somebody who wants it. (around 20% from our MSRP)

I joined the GB for full group buy price (plus tax), and my case has a dent in it from shipping. Feels bad :(

Did you send them photos of the dent? Any word on replacement?

Offline ceflame

« Reply #360 on: Tue, 11 October 2016, 23:09:57 »

I've posted it in this thread but I haven't asked for any kind of replacement. It's pretty small and unnoticeable during use, but just the fact that I paid GB price while B-stocks are being planned for -20% off MSRP bothers me a little.

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #361 on: Tue, 11 October 2016, 23:11:34 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 13:58:39 by alienman82 »

Offline ceflame

« Reply #362 on: Tue, 11 October 2016, 23:13:50 »

I've posted it in this thread but I haven't asked for any kind of replacement. It's pretty small and unnoticeable during use, but just the fact that I paid GB price while B-stocks are being planned for -20% off MSRP bothers me a little.

RMA with massdrop man.  no reason for that.

Alright, I'll send in a support ticket and see what comes of it.

Offline adamski07

• * Maker
  • adamskimodz|fudorekz12
« Reply #363 on: Tue, 11 October 2016, 23:48:51 »
i need help with my ve.a. everything was working fine til today after i finished installing the switches only one rgb led is working on the right board. i tried changing number of leds on bmc, but it didn't work. it was working just fine last night. i also tried using different usb cables.

Offline hkf

• your #1 fan
« Reply #364 on: Tue, 11 October 2016, 23:52:03 »
i need help with my ve.a. everything was working fine til today after i finished installing the switches only one rgb led is working on the right board. i tried changing number of leds on bmc, but it didn't work. it was working just fine last night. i also tried using different usb cables.
Show Image

It's likely the next LED in sequence to that one, so the one down-left from the picture. Check soldering on that one.

Offline E3E

« Reply #365 on: Tue, 11 October 2016, 23:56:12 »
Show Image

It looks like you're using holtite sockets, correct? Did you check to see if the PCB was functioning after you installed the sockets? I can only imagine that socketing could've lifted pads or traces, but the issue you're having sounds more like a bridging issue. If you didn't use solder though, then I'm not sure what to tell you.

Holtite sockets can cause stress to the PCB, but I'm more experienced with Alps in that regard, which already entails a pretty destructive procedure to install them. These sockets don't seem to be very wide so I don't see them putting much stress on the PCB.

Are the keys registering? Is the problem ONLY with the RGB LEDs?

« Last Edit: Wed, 12 October 2016, 00:00:26 by E3E »

Offline adamski07

• * Maker
  • adamskimodz|fudorekz12
« Reply #366 on: Wed, 12 October 2016, 00:06:03 »
Show Image

It looks like you're using holtite sockets, correct? Did you check to see if the PCB was functioning after you installed the sockets? I can only imagine that socketing could've lifted pads or traces, but the issue you're having sounds more like a bridging issue. If you didn't use solder though, then I'm not sure what to tell you.

Holtite sockets can cause stress to the PCB, but I'm more experienced with Alps in that regard, which already entails a pretty destructive procedure to install them. These sockets don't seem to be very wide so I don't see them putting much stress on the PCB.

Yes, all leds were workingng before isntallation on holtite sockets. All keys are registering. Everything looks fine, but I have no idea why suddenly they stopped working. I also tried different SATA cables and plugging the keyboard on different USB sockets, but none of them worked.  :'(

Offline E3E

« Reply #367 on: Wed, 12 October 2016, 00:21:16 »
Show Image

Yes, all leds were workingng before isntallation on holtite sockets. All keys are registering. Everything looks fine, but I have no idea why suddenly they stopped working. I also tried different SATA cables and plugging the keyboard on different USB sockets, but none of them worked.  :'(

Hmm, then I really don't see how the sockets could have affected your VE.A.

Like hkf mentioned, I'd check the contact points on the LEDs. I'd personally use a continuity tester to see if there's a broken or bridged  path somewhere or something not quite right.

Offline zefyr

• Oddforge
« Reply #368 on: Wed, 12 October 2016, 00:31:48 »

RMA with massdrop man.  no reason for that.

Alright, I'll send in a support ticket and see what comes of it.

Hello,

We are very curious about dent you got.
Our quality check is done by 2~3 steps.
Every parts have checked with at least 6 eyes.
If you have noticeable dent, that must be caused during shipping.
We have faith on our quality check about aluminium surfaces.

And only with this faith, we can decide to sell our B-stock, because its' quality are different.
Still, our quality line for B-stock is also high, we don't want to sell out ****ty things.
That's why we are very concerned about some matters, and considering leave B-stock marking on inner surface.

PS : Contact our support email if you need any help from us :)
« Last Edit: Wed, 12 October 2016, 01:04:03 by zefyr »
ZeFyr "Vermillion" J.

Vergo type.T / alpetit / alpetit II / VE.A with Vergo type.T-II

Offline zefyr

• Oddforge
« Reply #369 on: Wed, 12 October 2016, 00:39:25 »
Show Image

Hmm, then I really don't see how the sockets could have affected your VE.A.

Like hkf mentioned, I'd check the contact points on the LEDs. I'd personally use a continuity tester to see if there's a broken or bridged  path somewhere or something not quite right.

Hello,
First of all, RGB LEDs are very very fragile and easily broken with small shock or overheat.
RGB LEDs are linked in a chain traces. So, one LED is down, rest of it will down too.
It looks second (or first) LED is broken or soldering were detached.
Touch soldering part of first and second LED for "one second"(DO NOT SOLDER IT TOO MUCH, IT'S REALLY FRAGILE) to make sure about solder.
ZeFyr "Vermillion" J.

Offline adamski07

• * Maker
  • adamskimodz|fudorekz12
« Reply #370 on: Wed, 12 October 2016, 00:47:24 »
Everything is good now. Just reheated all the solder points of the leds. thank you guys.  :thumb:

Offline E3E

« Reply #371 on: Wed, 12 October 2016, 00:50:05 »
Bravo! Glad you didn't give up.  :thumb:

Offline zefyr

• Oddforge
« Reply #372 on: Wed, 12 October 2016, 01:05:18 »
Everything is good now. Just reheated all the solder points of the leds. thank you guys.  :thumb:

Show Image

WOW!
Love your mix'n match of LED settings with keycaps!
ZeFyr "Vermillion" J.

Offline tripandfall426

« Reply #373 on: Wed, 12 October 2016, 08:23:53 »
Hello,

And only with this faith, we can decide to sell our B-stock, because its' quality are different.
Still, our quality line for B-stock is also high, we don't want to sell out ****ty things.
That's why we are very concerned about some matters, and considering leave B-stock marking on inner surface.

In regards to the B-stock sale that has been mentioned, do you only have b-stock cases left over? or are these full kits that are marked as b-stock? If its a kit that at least supplies the PCB and case, I'd definitely be interested.
« Last Edit: Wed, 12 October 2016, 08:27:11 by tripandfall426 »

b.mini

Offline zefyr

• Oddforge
« Reply #374 on: Wed, 12 October 2016, 09:29:06 »
Hello,

In regards to the B-stock sale that has been mentioned, do you only have b-stock cases left over? or are these full kits that are marked as b-stock? If its a kit that at least supplies the PCB and case, I'd definitely be interested.

Basic Kit it is :)
All case parts including aluminium case, polynate carbonate frame, switch mounting plate.
Of cource PCB and marking plate also included.
Only SATA Cable and USB mini cable will not be included.
ZeFyr "Vermillion" J.

Offline wodan

« Reply #375 on: Wed, 12 October 2016, 09:33:32 »

All case parts including aluminium case, polynate carbonate frame, switch mounting plate.

Yes please!

Offline tripandfall426

« Reply #376 on: Wed, 12 October 2016, 10:02:27 »
Hello,

That sounds perfect, is there some sort of email notification list we can get on for when this is available?

b.mini

Offline zefyr

• Oddforge
« Reply #377 on: Wed, 12 October 2016, 10:30:27 »
BUMP
Quick Question About Price for B-stock.

- We will mark with small intentional dent on inside (totally invisible when assembled)
- Our MSRP is 450 USD, we will discount over 20% for B-stock. which will be around 350USD for Basic Kit + misc
---- Case, PCB, Plate
---- SATA cable, 3Lock LEDs with matching resistors (will not be pre-soldered) for your convenience.
- We will charge paypal fee to you.
- We will use EMS with tracking number. package weight is under 2.5kg (those who uses pounds, do your math by yourself)
----You can check your shipping cost at following link.
----http://ems.epost.go.kr/front.EmsDeliveryDelivery09.postal
- We will not accept any undervalue request.

How's this sounds?
Any good?
ZeFyr "Vermillion" J.

Offline wodan

« Reply #378 on: Wed, 12 October 2016, 10:32:05 »
BUMP

- We will mark with small intentional dent on inside (totally invisible when assembled)
- Our MSRP is 450 USD, we will discount over 20% for B-stock. which will be around 350USD for Basic Kit + misc
---- Case, PCB, Plate
---- SATA cable, 3Lock LEDs with matching resistors (will not be pre-soldered) for your convenience.
- We will use EMS with tracking number. package weight is under 2.5kg (those who uses pounds, do your math by yourself)

How's this sounds?
Any good?

yes, where can i order?

Offline E3E

« Reply #379 on: Wed, 12 October 2016, 10:39:23 »
BUMP

---- Case, PCB, Plate

How's this sounds?
Any good?

Are tenting stands unavailable through b-stock purchase?

Offline zefyr

• Oddforge
« Reply #380 on: Wed, 12 October 2016, 10:45:51 »
BUMP

---- Case, PCB, Plate

How's this sounds?
Any good?

We removed that option because that thing is really heavy (heavier than VE.A)
I don't have any idea about minimal shipping cost for that.
ZeFyr "Vermillion" J.

Offline TerryMathews

« Reply #381 on: Wed, 12 October 2016, 10:47:26 »
BUMP

---- Case, PCB, Plate

How's this sounds?
Any good?

Seems totally fair to me.

Offline E3E

« Reply #382 on: Wed, 12 October 2016, 10:53:59 »

I see! Well, it is layered acrylic correct? Would it be possible for the file to be released so that users may create there own locally? I understand if not. Thanks for your responsiveness, as always.  :thumb:

Offline Saiph

« Reply #383 on: Wed, 12 October 2016, 11:04:32 »
Were the plate files ever released? I would like to have an aluminum plate instead of the default steel one :)

Offline dead_pixel_design

• IIIV is not a Roman Numeral. Positive Vibes.
« Reply #384 on: Wed, 12 October 2016, 11:15:25 »
BUMP

---- Case, PCB, Plate

How's this sounds?
Any good?

I think this is very reasonable.
Aside from the dent to show it is a B build, what are the differences between B stock and the A run? are they less functional or aesthetically different for any reason?
« Last Edit: Wed, 12 October 2016, 11:23:47 by dead_pixel_design »

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #385 on: Wed, 12 October 2016, 11:22:35 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 13:58:30 by alienman82 »

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #386 on: Wed, 12 October 2016, 11:35:02 »
will we be able to just order pcb + plate? or is it just full kits?

Offline Saiph

« Reply #387 on: Wed, 12 October 2016, 11:44:26 »
use linears bb
I guess I do have some Gat Yellows lying around.

Offline zefyr

• Oddforge
« Reply #388 on: Wed, 12 October 2016, 11:53:55 »

I see! Well, it is layered acrylic correct? Would it be possible for the file to be released so that users may create there own locally? I understand if not. Thanks for your responsiveness, as always.  :thumb:

It already shared in public on kbdlab. We will update our website someday haha.
ZeFyr "Vermillion" J.

Offline JDragon

« Reply #389 on: Wed, 12 October 2016, 11:54:08 »
BUMP

---- Case, PCB, Plate

How's this sounds?
Any good?

Sounds good! Looking forward to grabbing one. :D

Offline zefyr

• Oddforge
« Reply #390 on: Wed, 12 October 2016, 11:57:09 »
Were the plate files ever released? I would like to have an aluminum plate instead of the default steel one :)

We shared plate design for alps on our website.
But did not shared MX plate design for some reasons.
But there are tons of free resources on public so you can draw yours very easily.
That's how this geeky community is running, isn't it?
ZeFyr "Vermillion" J.

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #391 on: Wed, 12 October 2016, 11:59:44 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 13:58:27 by alienman82 »

Offline MandrewDavis

• Chasin' That Neon Rainbow
« Reply #392 on: Wed, 12 October 2016, 12:04:33 »
DXF files for the Alps plate and tenting stand can be found here on oddforge :thumb:

Any chance that the acrylic housing design files are public?
« Last Edit: Wed, 12 October 2016, 12:14:49 by MandrewDavis »
I've come to view humanity as predominantly monkey business.

My Classifieds Thread

Offline hkf

• your #1 fan
« Reply #393 on: Wed, 12 October 2016, 16:51:19 »
BUMP

---- Case, PCB, Plate

How's this sounds?
Any good?

Can we buy plate + pcb only?

Offline zefyr

• Oddforge
« Reply #394 on: Thu, 13 October 2016, 04:51:11 »
BUMP

---- Case, PCB, Plate

How's this sounds?
Any good?

I don't see why not at this point.
But as always, nothing set firmly yet.
ZeFyr "Vermillion" J.

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #395 on: Thu, 13 October 2016, 13:53:15 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 13:57:47 by alienman82 »

Offline RobotMalcolmX

• hackerman
« Reply #396 on: Thu, 13 October 2016, 14:22:29 »
I'd be interested in a b-stock kit. Following this as more information is available.

Offline iamtootallforthis

• Something a lot Funnier
  • * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #397 on: Thu, 13 October 2016, 14:35:18 »
Still interested in B-stock.

Offline KetchyKech

• ∴∵∴◇❖◇∴∵∴
« Reply #398 on: Thu, 13 October 2016, 14:42:12 »
I wonder if any ALPS ppl plan to do a mini group buy of sorts for a alu ALPS Plate  :-[

I wouldn't know the first place to look...Ofc if no one is up to task I just may have to endeavor to do so !!
∴∵∴◇Time TKL--VE.A--F&T 1916--Cajal--Octagon v2◇∴∵∴

Offline hkf

• your #1 fan
« Reply #399 on: Thu, 13 October 2016, 16:50:59 »
BUMP

---- Case, PCB, Plate

How's this sounds?
Any good?

I don't see why not at this point.
But as always, nothing set firmly yet.

F5ing like crazy for me :D