Author Topic: Cherry red to white Alps -- keys and boards lost and found  (Read 1686 times)

Offline opensecret

• 公开的秘密
Cherry red to white Alps -- keys and boards lost and found
« on: Tue, 14 February 2017, 13:30:24 »
This is a boring post that you’ll probably wish you hadn’t read, and the Alps connection won’t be obvious at first, nor even particularly interesting when it arrives.

A few months ago, my non-RGB Corsair K95 failed after about 2 years use (something went wrong in the electronics, and the board began to go off on auto-typing sprees that I could only stop by unplugging it).  Since I actually liked the board and its o-ringed Cherry red switches, I went on eBay and bought another one.   The new one lasted about 6 weeks before the 9 ( key in the number row flat-out stopped working.  It was only one key, and I could still get a 9 from the numpad, but I figured a board that can’t produce a left parenthesis wasn’t going to work.  I wouldn’t know how to use a soldering iron if I owned one so repairing it myself was not an option.  Corsair wouldn’t honor the warranty because, they said, the seller wasn’t authorized, but the eBay seller did the honorable thing and took the board back.  Now that I’m twice-bitten, I won’t be getting another Corsair board.

So last night I was happily typing away on my fairly ancient but beloved Omnikey Ultra (pine white Alps) when I suddenly found that the ;: key would produce a colon, with or without shift engaged, but no way to get a semi-colon.  Every other key seemed to be working except that one.  Well, a 25-year-old board is probably out of warranty, particularly when the manufacturer is out of business.  Could this be the end of a long relationship?  I plugged in another keyboard (Plum 84), which generously poured out semi-colons. Things were looking bleak, but finally I tried the obvious -- unseated and reseated the multi-cable usb which is the most obvious point of failure for the Omnikey.  Praised be the God of mechanical keyboards – the semicolon was back and all is well.  Until the next glitch.
IBM Model M |Matias Mini Quiet Pro|Plum 84EC-S|RealForce 103U-UW & 87U-UW|Omnikey Ultra T| 2 Omnikey Ultras| WASD V2| Xmit Hall Effect|

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
Re: Cherry red to white Alps -- keys and boards lost and found
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 14 February 2017, 14:20:59 »
The Ultra has a semicolon lock or something like that. It might be that that's engaged. Try switching it off and see if that fixes it.
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline gmcenroe

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 24 March 2017, 22:08:19 »
You can search for Omnikey keyboard manual, it explains all the quirks with this keyborad, how to set the dipswitches for differant options. I remember there is something in there about the colon, semicolon key. I just bought a Northgate Omnikey Ultra-T that is supposed to be in good working order, but it needs a lot of cleaning. I am looking forward to restoring it hope I don't need any new switches.

Glenn

Offline opensecret

• 公开的秘密
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 28 March 2017, 20:03:18 »
You can search for Omnikey keyboard manual, it explains all the quirks with this keyborad, how to set the dipswitches for differant options. I remember there is something in there about the colon, semicolon key. I just bought a Northgate Omnikey Ultra-T that is supposed to be in good working order, but it needs a lot of cleaning. I am looking forward to restoring it hope I don't need any new switches.

Glenn

The Ultra-T is a great board.  Good luck with it!  (My Ultra has been fine since I re-seated the cable.  I should have tried that first, because with three different cables between board and PC, one connection or another occasionally gets loose.  The surprise for me was that a loose connection could cause a problem with one and only one key.)
IBM Model M |Matias Mini Quiet Pro|Plum 84EC-S|RealForce 103U-UW & 87U-UW|Omnikey Ultra T| 2 Omnikey Ultras| WASD V2| Xmit Hall Effect|