Author Topic: [IC] SA Metro - A 'blank' PBT dye sublimated set (Live on Massdrop!)  (Read 7501 times)

Offline Oblotzky

• Backspace is for people that make mistakes.
Hello again!

while I am patiently waiting for SA Oblivion to come to Massdrop later this year, I tinkered on second set that can make use of the much shorter PBT dyesub production line. The idea came from a discussion about 'striped' designs, and how to make one without copying 1976 straight away. The design is obviously inspired by metro maps that use pretty much the same style all around the world.

I have tried to maximise compatibility while keeping the number of keys low as I did not want to make this another set where you have to grab multiple kits to complete your keyboard. So unless you are a special snowflake, one set will have you covered!

Timeline:
Sending in 2 legends for test printing tomorrow, results hopefully soon
Slated to hit Massdrop in March
5-6 Weeks production time! Since this is dyesubbed PBT, it is not part of the ABS double shot queue that is currently booked through to November this year. Source: http://pimpmykeyboard.com/whats-new/

Any feedback is welcome!

Massdrop Drop Page

Covers a lot of special stuff, more info @ https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-x-oblotzky-metro-sa-custom-keycap-set/talk/1616970

« Last Edit: Thu, 09 March 2017, 10:08:30 by Oblotzky »

Offline kustom3

• bonjour
Re: [IC] SA Metro - A 'blank' PBT dye sublimated set
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 26 February 2017, 20:56:24 »
Really digging the concept, good alternative to blank sets. Not a big SA fan but I'm looking forward to seeing how the printing tests turn out. With the possibilities of dye-sub there's probably the possibility to design a few sleek novelties such as maintenance or a roadblock.

And now I want to play Mini Metro.

Offline ns90

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 26 February 2017, 20:57:59 »
I'm not really a fan of SA, but I would possibly go in on this, because this is a truly unique idea, and well executed! My only request would be to have extra keys for a split backspace layout, but an otherwise great job!

Offline imprevade

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 27 February 2017, 16:14:44 »
I love this idea. It really instills that minimalist Swedish inspired design that Massimo Vignelli was famous for. I do think the design needs some help though.

First, you need to do something about the white "stops" icon. Right now, it's very ugly. I suggest referencing the iconic Vignelli subway map from 1972. Maybe the dots aren't black, but white—just contained inside the lines so you can lose that nasty stroke. The one you have now just doesn't do this design justice.

Second, you need another design element. More nostalgia. How about some custom legends? I'm thinking metro icons, or borough names. Enter, shift, backspace could turn into Manhattan, Queens, The Bronx. I don't want you to get away from the clean look you're going for, but I really believe it needs some extra flare.

Lastly, another idea I have; what if you had the modifiers or alphas as an off-white or tan color? Sort of like the rivers on the referenced map are. I think doing this would add some needed contrast.

If you're interested in collaborating, I'd be willing to lend my hand—as I'm very interested in this project! Great idea!

161603-0

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 27 February 2017, 17:35:24 »
I love this idea. It really instills that minimalist Swedish inspired design that Massimo Vignelli was famous for. I do think the design needs some help though.

First, you need to do something about the white "stops" icon. Right now, it's very ugly. I suggest referencing the iconic Vignelli subway map from 1972. Maybe the dots aren't black, but white—just contained inside the lines so you can lose that nasty stroke. The one you have now just doesn't do this design justice.

Second, you need another design element. More nostalgia. How about some custom legends? I'm thinking metro icons, or borough names. Enter, shift, backspace could turn into Manhattan, Queens, The Bronx. I don't want you to get away from the clean look you're going for, but I really believe it needs some extra flare.

Lastly, another idea I have; what if you had the modifiers or alphas as an off-white or tan color? Sort of like the rivers on the referenced map are. I think doing this would add some needed contrast.

If you're interested in collaborating, I'd be willing to lend my hand—as I'm very interested in this project! Great idea!

(Attachment Link)

Hey, thanks for your input. The station symbol is designed after what you can see on the Cologne Metro map, which is my main reference as I have traveled it quite a bit over the years. It's used there in places where multiple tracks share a station

I definitely want to stay away from text on this set, I do however have an idea for a small novelty kit to add some flare to the blank spots, will hopefully have that drawn out over the next weekend (hint: check the image above and I'm sure you can figure out what I'm thinking here). Tinted blank keys though, I'm not sure, maybe gray if anything or a slight blue (BFC color code) to mimic a body of water. But I feel there is not enough space to make those shapes justice.
« Last Edit: Mon, 27 February 2017, 17:37:00 by Oblotzky »

Offline Delirious

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 27 February 2017, 17:53:58 »
I wish the green track on Metro would fork up on 5 instead of 6, better break up on the number: 1-5 = green track, 6-0 = blanks. You prolly have to move the continuation to F4 instead of F5 if you do that.

Offline simonyunhe

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 27 February 2017, 17:58:23 »
How about we add some city or countries name besides the station to replace some blank keys?
KeyBs:|RS96-Brown|GS-87-White|DIYer60-Red|VA68M-Brown|GS-ALT71-Blue|IKBC-108-Black|
KeyCs:|SA Carbon R1+2|SA Camping|SA Amazing Chocolatier|SA Commando 88 Ghost|SA Hyperfuse|SA Penumbra|SA Doom|SA Creamy Orange|SA Ocean Dolch|SA Lotus*72|SA Trouble Minds R2|DSA Granite|GMK TA|GMK Soware|XDA Mailstone|GM Ember|

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 27 February 2017, 18:00:31 »
I wish the green track on Metro would fork up on 5 instead of 6, better break up on the number: 1-5 = green track, 6-0 = blanks. You prolly have to move the continuation to F4 instead of F5 if you do that.

I don't quite get what you want to achieve here? The track can't continue into F4 though as that would require a 90 degree turn on the 5 key, a no-no in Metro Maps. Btw, the F5 key with the station icon can be turned 180 degrees to line up again if you have 0.25 distance between numbers row and function row as is common for custom boards. The key above F5 is for condensed layouts such as 75% or 96key.

How about we add some city or countries name besides the station to replace some blank keys?

As mentioned before, I don't want any text on this set. The novelty set I'll work out soon will cover up a few of the blank 1U keys though.

Offline ricyuyc

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 27 February 2017, 18:30:34 »
I love the design, I think to keep simple and generic would be good.
The station legends could use much bolder line and more rounded like rectangle with half circle at the both end.
About novelty keys, to add "Esc" and "Enter" with simple exit and metro sign would be clean and pretty.

Offline Parva Ovis

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 27 February 2017, 21:27:02 »
It's interesting how simultaneously universal and not this design is. On one hand, the clean angles and colors are obviously Metro; on the other hand, the station symbols seem to vary a lot from place to place. To me, the thick-lined circles of D.C.'s metro map are much more iconic, though obviously this is subjective and probably relative to which metro one is most familiar with!

Offline imprevade

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 28 February 2017, 10:05:49 »
It's interesting how simultaneously universal and not this design is. On one hand, the clean angles and colors are obviously Metro; on the other hand, the station symbols seem to vary a lot from place to place. To me, the thick-lined circles of D.C.'s metro map are much more iconic, though obviously this is subjective and probably relative to which metro one is most familiar with!

Show Image

Hey, thanks for your input. The station symbol is designed after what you can see on the Cologne Metro map, which is my main reference as I have traveled it quite a bit over the years. It's used there in places where multiple tracks share a station

Show Image

I definitely want to stay away from text on this set, I do however have an idea for a small novelty kit to add some flare to the blank spots, will hopefully have that drawn out over the next weekend (hint: check the image above and I'm sure you can figure out what I'm thinking here). Tinted blank keys though, I'm not sure, maybe gray if anything or a slight blue (BFC color code) to mimic a body of water. But I feel there is not enough space to make those shapes justice.

This iconic style of subway/metro map design was originated by Massimo Vignelli in the 70's. Anything else is just an imitation. Vignelli had a very clear understanding of minimalist design. Many people mistake design as art—it is not. Design is a solution, that can (and usually does by nature) have artistic appeal. The variation of station symbols comes from less experienced designers taking arguably the best solution for metro maps, and trying to adapt it to their own version. I highly recommend revisiting the
"station symbols" in your design, as they would never hold up in the professional world of design.

As far as the "tinted blank keys" as you call them, or Modifiers as I was calling them—I think it would be best to go with an off white/grey color. This was actually one of the controversial parts of the original Vignelli design. When asked why he chose a neutral color for the bodies of water and parks he said, "Of course, I know the park is green and not gray. Who cares? You want to go from Point A to Point B. The only thing you are interested in is the spaghetti." For the same reasons he made this design choice, I think it would serve you well in your design. He didn't want you to pay too much attention to the bodies of water because they are very low on the hierarchy of importance. Their purpose is to give you a subtle reference to the geological features of the NYC area. For your keyset design, they would give the user a subtle reference to the "geological features" of their keyboard.

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 01 March 2017, 19:42:56 »
This iconic style of subway/metro map design was originated by Massimo Vignelli in the 70's. Anything else is just an imitation. Vignelli had a very clear understanding of minimalist design. Many people mistake design as art—it is not. Design is a solution, that can (and usually does by nature) have artistic appeal. The variation of station symbols comes from less experienced designers taking arguably the best solution for metro maps, and trying to adapt it to their own version. I highly recommend revisiting the
"station symbols" in your design, as they would never hold up in the professional world of design.

But that's the thing, I don't try to do something here that needs to hold up in a professional world of design, it does not need to be as practical as possible, it just has to be nice to look at on your keyboard. And this is where personal preference comes in, because to me, the style is spot on as it resembles what I've seen for the better part of 20 years in my local metro system.

In other news, test print was completed within 4 hours of submission!

I think I'll add a slight blank line/gap between crossing tracks to avoid color bleed, I think that's the case here just a teeny tiny bit, but the quality of the picture could also be a factor here (according to EXIF data it's an iPhone 7). I'll see how that looks from a design standpoint.

Offline Captainbuttmonkey

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 05 March 2017, 16:07:32 »

Show Image

Show Image

This iconic style of subway/metro map design was originated by Massimo Vignelli in the 70's. Anything else is just an imitation.

Sorry mate but I'm going to have to disagree with you there > http://londonist.com/2016/05/the-history-of-the-tube-map

I really like this idea Oblotzky, but atm I think it is lacking. I'm probably biased towards the London underground as it is the one I am most familiar with (and it was the first =P). I also think the design of the underground looks way better but again I am biased and it's also very british, which most of the people interested in the set aren't. So I'm not too sure I can personally offer much in the way of constructive criticism unfortunately =S. You have got me thinking maybe I should make a London themed keyset or something however.......

Offline Oblotzky

Offline simonyunhe

Also got the email from MD and this is happening! Just one quick question that you mentioned you will add some gap between the cross track, will it be added?
KeyBs:|RS96-Brown|GS-87-White|DIYer60-Red|VA68M-Brown|GS-ALT71-Blue|IKBC-108-Black|
KeyCs:|SA Carbon R1+2|SA Camping|SA Amazing Chocolatier|SA Commando 88 Ghost|SA Hyperfuse|SA Penumbra|SA Doom|SA Creamy Orange|SA Ocean Dolch|SA Lotus*72|SA Trouble Minds R2|DSA Granite|GMK TA|GMK Soware|XDA Mailstone|GM Ember|

Offline Oblotzky

Also got the email from MD and this is happening! Just one quick question that you mentioned you will add some gap between the cross track, will it be added?

Yes, I hope to have an update on that in the coming days.

Offline Oblotzky

Stepped Capslock has been added to the Metropolitan kit, and if you wanna find out what layouts you can cover with it while keeping the artwork intact, check out my detailed post on Massdrop! https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-x-oblotzky-metro-sa-custom-keycap-set/talk/1616970

Offline Parva Ovis

Is the keycap color PBT WAN, or another white? I ask because I'm considering getting some extra blanks from PMK.

Offline Oblotzky

Is the keycap color PBT WAN, or another white? I ask because I'm considering getting some extra blanks from PMK.

It will be the same as SA Ice Cap, which I believe is WAN yes. I will double check with Melissa to make sure.

Offline Oblotzky