Author Topic: Modded Leopold FC660C experiences?  (Read 1973 times)

Offline kasakka

Modded Leopold FC660C experiences?
« on: Sat, 19 August 2017, 06:01:06 »
Going to Japan soon and planning to buy a FC660C with the intent on modding it to be MX keycap compatible and use a Hasu controller to make it fully programmable. I understand that you need two 2.25u Shift keys and apparently KBDFans Topre to MX sliders would be the best choice.

Any experiences making these mods? What should I know about the slider swap? How do I handle the spacebar or do stabilized keys need anything specific? I'm planning to put on a SA keyset on it.

Offline ghostjuggernaut

• * Curator
Re: Modded Leopold FC660C experiences?
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 19 August 2017, 07:08:58 »
I had one and swapped nova stems into it without an issue.  For the shifts, I changed out the entire slider housing to eliminate the need to drill anything.  One issue you may run into is the 6u spacebar.  I believe 6u mx spacebars are more readily available lately though. 

EDIT:  Not sure if KBDfans has mx compatible spacebar stabilizers, but if not that will be an issue.

Offline kasakka

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 19 August 2017, 09:26:05 »
I had one and swapped nova stems into it without an issue.  For the shifts, I changed out the entire slider housing to eliminate the need to drill anything.  One issue you may run into is the 6u spacebar.  I believe 6u mx spacebars are more readily available lately though. 

EDIT:  Not sure if KBDfans has mx compatible spacebar stabilizers, but if not that will be an issue.

The spacebar worries me a bit. I can get a Topre 6u spacebar that fits my color scheme but I wonder how it will work with a SA keyset as most seem to be OEM profile. Anyone got experience with a Topre spacebar and SA keys?

Offline scwoopz

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 19 August 2017, 10:48:58 »

The spacebar worries me a bit. I can get a Topre 6u spacebar that fits my color scheme but I wonder how it will work with a SA keyset as most seem to be OEM profile. Anyone got experience with a Topre spacebar and SA keys?
You shouldn't have an issue getting a topre SA spacebar, as Idea23 (busgamer on Reddit) makes them. For topre to MX stems I recommend you get the JTK sliders if you're going to use Cherry profile (ever) because the novatouch sliders aren't long enough for Cherry profile, for whatever reason. Whatever sliders you use you should lube them so add to their smoothness.

As well, all spacebars you for topre boards are topre profile, not OEM. OEM I'd significantly taller.
ortho or shmortho

Offline kasakka

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 19 August 2017, 11:24:02 »
I was thinking of the KBDFans sliders since they seem to be better (less wobbly and more like the originals) than the JTK but it seems they don't work for the modifiers. Any issues with the JTK sliders?