Author Topic: 660C Owners! I have a question!  (Read 3635 times)

Offline Duckyreddy

• Better skadoodle, poodle.
660C Owners! I have a question!
« on: Thu, 12 October 2017, 23:06:29 »
Hey all, Hope you're enjoying your day!
I'm looking into a 660C and I'm aware that the 660C has a metal backplate, unlike the HHKB which is case mounted.

Does anyone have any experience with their 660C steel backplate corroding and starting to rust?
I've heard a 2 or 3 people complain about that, what is that all about?

Cheers  :thumb:

Ducky One Cherry MX Silent Reds

Leopold FC660M MX Blue
Logitech G403/ Razer Naga 2014

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Re: 660C Owners! I have a question!
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 12 October 2017, 23:10:31 »
How is the 660C any different than any other keyboard with a steel backplate?

I would wager one of two things, either the environment people having this type of issue are in is corrosive, i.e. near the ocean etc, and/or they are slobs.

Offline sodiumjoe

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 12 October 2017, 23:10:33 »
It probably depends on your local climate. I have two and haven't had any rust (I live in the Pacific Northwest).

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Offline Duckyreddy

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 12 October 2017, 23:17:07 »
How is the 660C any different than any other keyboard with a steel backplate?

I would wager one of two things, either the environment people having this type of issue are in is corrosive, i.e. near the ocean etc, and/or they are slobs.

My exact thoughts! The Ducky boards at home have been doing just fine, no rust what so ever.
Someone from Reddit mentioned: "The plate was made from a non-corrosion resistant alloy of steel with a thin coat of paint on top"

I'm sure most boards aren't either and he added: "any bare metal that's exposed to the air will rust especially at the mounting holes and any scratches through the paint."

It probably depends on your local climate. I have two and haven't had any rust (I live in the Pacific Northwest).

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Yes, Weather plays a huge part, glad I moved away from the tropical humid Asia, phewww!!   :p

Leopold FC660M MX Blue

Offline yuppie

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 13 October 2017, 00:03:22 »
I'm looking into a 660C and I'm aware that the 660C has a metal backplate, unlike the HHKB which is case mounted.

Does anyone have any experience with their 660C steel backplate corroding and starting to rust?

I've never checked.
"Overall, it's a good community..  wish you well on your Pokemon Journey.." - TP4
Current Trades -- Wishlist

Offline Duckyreddy

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 13 October 2017, 00:32:51 »

I've never checked.

Never check, never find out  ;)

Leopold FC660M MX Blue

Offline clickityClackity

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 13 October 2017, 16:44:44 »

I've never checked.

Never find out, never have a problem

Offline Duckyreddy

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 13 October 2017, 18:06:08 »

I've never checked.

Never find out, never have a problem, never be worried.  ;)

Leopold FC660M MX Blue

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 02 January 2018, 21:59:16 »

I've never checked.

IOW ignorance is bliss.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Duckyreddy

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 03 January 2018, 00:15:01 »

I've never checked.

IOW ignorance is bliss.

ignorance is bless

Leopold FC660M MX Blue

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 03 January 2018, 03:56:08 »

I've never checked.

IOW ignorance is bliss.

ignorance is bless

Ingorance is bloss.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Erikdayo

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 05 January 2018, 06:27:39 »
My kinda relevant but not really very useful info. I opened my FC660C a while back to install BKE Redux domes. No rust.  :thumb:

Offline Duckyreddy

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 05 January 2018, 14:12:26 »
My kinda relevant but not really very useful info. I opened my FC660C a while back to install BKE Redux domes. No rust.  :thumb:

awesome, thanks!  :thumb:

Leopold FC660M MX Blue

Offline derb2k2

• Something of a Topre ****..
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 05 January 2018, 17:23:46 »
i briefly had an 660c so can't give you a verified response, but how exactly did this corrosion occur and after how long? Something doesn't compute here and as someone mentioned, those users may have been doing something wrong.  :)
HHKB | RF 45UB | Novatouch | Poker II Blue | QFR Browns | Rosewill RK-9000RE