Author Topic: Should I consider Gateron Clears?  (Read 3172 times)

Offline Sgt_4Leaf

• Formerly Row009 and StarCraftII
  • I have hands
Should I consider Gateron Clears?
« on: Sun, 19 August 2018, 19:22:10 »
I'll keep this simple.
My favorite switch is Gateron Red!
For me, it is the most fun/exciting to type on. It sounds great (W/Thick PBT caps). And I type the fastest on it, with less errors than any other switch Iv'e ever tried.
I find that I tend to prefer lighter switches...
So I was wondering if I should consider Gateron Clear switches?

Offline killyou

Re: Should I consider Gateron Clears?
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 19 August 2018, 19:35:24 »
It sound like you are perfectly happy with Gat Red. Do not go into this rabbit hole if you are satisfied with what you have.

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Doing university was a mistake
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 19 August 2018, 21:58:21 »
nope if you like 45g switches stay with that weight.
current
Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs | Rukia Everglide Tourmaline Blue 58.5G Springs | MGA Standard Greetech brown |
Coming soon
Rest in peace Billy Herrington(William Glen Harold Herrington) 1969-2018
Rest in peace Byron Daniel 1989-2020

Offline Sgt_4Leaf

• I have hands
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 20 August 2018, 09:58:43 »
It sound like you are perfectly happy with Gat Red. Do not go into this rabbit hole if you are satisfied with what you have.

nope if you like 45g switches stay with that weight.

Oh well... If you guys insist.

Offline Merranza

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 20 August 2018, 10:17:32 »
I've used MX reds for the last 5 years. I enjoy my reds and I prefer linear to tactile (I have gat browns on one of my board and I like them but not as much as my reds).

Sometimes, I wish my reds would be even lighter so I took the dive and ordered a magicforce 68 with gat clears.

Can't wait to try them and I don't see why you couldn't try them :) If you really want to play it safe, get a hot swappable board and go back to gat reds if you don't like them.

Offline Sgt_4Leaf

• I have hands
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 20 August 2018, 12:40:14 »
I've used MX reds for the last 5 years. I enjoy my reds and I prefer linear to tactile (I have gat browns on one of my board and I like them but not as much as my reds).

Sometimes, I wish my reds would be even lighter so I took the dive and ordered a magicforce 68 with gat clears.

Can't wait to try them and I don't see why you couldn't try them :) If you really want to play it safe, get a hot swappable board and go back to gat reds if you don't like them.

Lets just say that once I went linear (only recently actually)- I stopped using clicky boards altogether.
In fact, I tried out my Cherry MX Blue board (which I used to like a lot) yesterday, just to see how it feels after a while on light linear switches...
It took me by surprise.
It was like torture... Absolutely atrocious!
The way it felt... AND THE SOUND! it nearly gave me a headache. I put it back in the closet, and I don't really see it coming back to my desk. EVER.
I blame the Hedonic Treadmill... A switch I used to swear by became something I don't ever see myself feeling pleasure using.

Offline killyou

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 20 August 2018, 13:21:43 »
If you like linears and you want to step up your game on a relatively inexpensive side try ZealPC Tealios or Kailh BOX Reds. Both of them should be an improvement from Cherry MX Reds.

Offline Sgt_4Leaf

• I have hands
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 20 August 2018, 15:43:44 »

If you like linears and you want to step up your game on a relatively inexpensive side try ZealPC Tealios or Kailh BOX Reds. Both of them should be an improvement from Cherry MX Reds.

Which of these two pieces of advice should I listen to?  :))

Offline killyou

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 20 August 2018, 17:15:27 »

Which of these two pieces of advice should I listen to?  :))

I think you already know what you want to do but you are looking for confirmation on the forum. If you are happy I would stay with the reds but if you insist on trying something new then Tealios or Kailh BOX Red.

Offline blighty

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 21 August 2018, 11:11:01 »
If you are referring to trying out 35g linear Gateron clear switches, and like a light, linear switch, go for it.  It was my go-to switch for a year or so, until Cherry released the silent red switches.  I thought about swapping in the 35g springs from the Gat clear switches into the Cherry silent reds, but I find that I make less mistakes typing on the 45g springs. 

As for the other switches mentioned above, aren't Tealios just rebranded Gat switches?  Also, don't Kailh BOX switches break non-OEM keycaps?  These questions aren't necessarily reasons not to try the switches, but they would give me pause.
LZ ergo (MX silent red) | JER - A06 (MX silent black-red springs) | Duck Lightsaver V2 (MX red) | Duck Octagon V2 (gateron clear) (lifted pads) | Duck Orion V2 (gateron red) | TKC 1800 (gateron silent reds) | Mistel MD770 (MX red with GMK silencing clips) | Realforce R2TSLA-US4-IV | Realforce R2TLSA-US4-BK | TX 75 (gateron clear) | KBDFANS 75 ("vintage" MX blues) | Kinesis Freestyle Pro (MX red) | MS Surface Ergonomic | MS Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 | Filco Majestouch 2 TKL (MX black) | Phantom (Filco case) ("vintage" MX blacks | Spr1t 75% PCB x 2 (MX black and gateron clear) | Cherry G80-1865 (MX browns with black springs)

Offline killyou

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 21 August 2018, 19:23:12 »
As for the other switches mentioned above, aren't Tealios just rebranded Gat switches?  Also, don't Kailh BOX switches break non-OEM keycaps?  These questions aren't necessarily reasons not to try the switches, but they would give me pause.

Tealios aren't just rebranded Gat switches and there is new Kailh BOX version already.