Author Topic: [IC] GMK JIS | Last Week | Live until December 14th  (Read 114347 times)

Offline Jinho

• hello
    • i used to build keyboards
Re: [IC] GMK JIS (Japanese Industrial Standards) WoB
« Reply #50 on: Wed, 04 November 2020, 12:57:30 »
1u 英数 and かな are included in the updated base kit, and 1.5u System keys are in the extension kit. :)

I see the 1U 英数 and かな keys now. Great!

What are "System keys," though? I don't see Command or Option.

Super?
iu / jinsoul / xiyeon / ogre / nunu / 378 / x60 v2 / derivative / unikorn hk / lamy / calliope / dolice / harbour / xeno / 87u

Offline 2Moons

« Reply #51 on: Thu, 05 November 2020, 19:43:20 »
1u 英数 and かな are included in the updated base kit, and 1.5u System keys are in the extension kit. :)

I see the 1U 英数 and かな keys now. Great!

What are "System keys," though? I don't see Command or Option.

This was changed to System. I updated the set to the current mock-up. I will be finishing off vectors off hopefully Sunday and submitting them to my main vendor.

I'm happy to report that the 4.5u spacebar will be made. JIS spacebars for everyone!  :)

Offline HungHingDaiLo

• 無間道
« Reply #52 on: Fri, 06 November 2020, 06:28:55 »
Can't wait for GB to happen,
Good luck 2moons!

Offline equalunique

« Reply #53 on: Fri, 06 November 2020, 14:11:52 »
Woohoo! Excited for the best JIS keyset ever!

Offline 2Moons

« Reply #54 on: Wed, 11 November 2020, 21:04:35 »
Woohoo! Excited for the best JIS keyset ever!

Can't wait for GB to happen,
Good luck 2moons!

Thank you so much. I've updated the set to it's latest version. Buying a base kit and an alphas kit will allow you put caps on 2 keyboards. Accent keys were added and an accent spacebar kit. I have completed vectors for all new molds. Personally, I'm hyped.

Offline tsundeoku

• 積読工房
« Reply #55 on: Wed, 11 November 2020, 21:43:23 »
This was changed to System. I updated the set to the current mock-up. I will be finishing off vectors off hopefully Sunday and submitting them to my main vendor.

Any chance for Command keys in the Extensions kit? GMK has done them for other sets, so they should have the molds already.

Offline 2Moons

« Reply #56 on: Wed, 11 November 2020, 21:56:51 »

Any chance for Command keys in the Extensions kit? GMK has done them for other sets, so they should have the molds already.

If you provide a couple examples of sets that have them, I'll take it to a couple people and ask what they think. Otherwise I don't see much benefit considering system, blank caps, and JIS mac specific caps are already included. Can you provide some documentation for the use of command keys as well? I would appreciate it.

Offline yrneh

« Reply #57 on: Wed, 11 November 2020, 23:08:30 »
What's the difference between using this set on ANSI layout compared to other sets that use Japanese as an aesthetic? Not meant to be criticism or anything, just curious.

Offline 2Moons

« Reply #58 on: Wed, 11 November 2020, 23:28:34 »
What's the difference between using this set on ANSI layout compared to other sets that use Japanese as an aesthetic? Not meant to be criticism or anything, just curious.

No problem.

Nothing because it's fully ANSI compatible along with the (in) correct ANSI hiragana keys. So you're getting a correct JIS set and a correct ANSI with and/or without hiragana sublegends.

Offline kidviddy

• 駄日記
« Reply #59 on: Thu, 12 November 2020, 01:27:12 »

You get correct ANSI-JP hiragana sublegends on an ANSI board, which thanks to konstantin’s efforts is becoming more common but is still far from universal. You might say that if it’s just for the aesthetic correctness doesn’t matter, but there is a satisfaction, I think, that comes with knowing a set is correct, and if you ever decided to enable kana input mode on your machine just to see what happens you’ll be pleased to see that each key you press comes out correctly with no weirdness.

You also get the extra JIS modifier keys like 無変換, 変換, かな, etc. Not many sets include these. You might not need them, but if you’re going for the Japanese aesthetic you may be able to find a use for them.  If you really want to experiment, there is nothing stopping you from exploring a JIS-style bottom row with an ANSI layout for your alphas and punctuation! I personally think the smaller space bar with a 1.25U key to either side opens up a lot of possibilities and is a more convenient layout than the other popular split-spacebar options out there! You could use them as raise/lower keys to enable two different layer options like the Planck, for example.

Other than that, it’s a fairly standard WoB colourway by GMK. If you happen to be in the market for white-on-black with hiragana sublegends it’s exactly what you’re looking for!

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #60 on: Thu, 12 November 2020, 07:07:10 »
Thank you so much. I've updated the set to it's latest version. Buying a base kit and an alphas kit will allow you put caps on 2 keyboards. Accent keys were added and an accent spacebar kit. I have completed vectors for all new molds. Personally, I'm hyped.

One additional thing to point out is that, with the current configuration, not only can you cover two keyboards if you get Base + Alphas, but you can cover them in any of the following configurations (and have correct legends, of course):
  • one ANSI, one JIS or ISO
  • both ANSI
  • both JIS or ISO

The following form factor combinations are supported:
  • two full 60%/65% boards in any layout*
  • one 75%/TKL/1800/96-key/full-size, one 60%/65%/66-key
* The only limitation is that the two boards you're covering have to use different spacebar sizes, but since we put four different spacebars in the base kit, this hopefully shouldn't be a problem. Otherwise, both boards are free to use things like 1.75u Shift, split Backspace, ISO/ANSI Enter etc.

Offline yrneh

« Reply #61 on: Thu, 12 November 2020, 11:57:33 »

You get correct ANSI-JP hiragana sublegends on an ANSI board, which thanks to konstantin’s efforts is becoming more common but is still far from universal. You might say that if it’s just for the aesthetic correctness doesn’t matter, but there is a satisfaction, I think, that comes with knowing a set is correct, and if you ever decided to enable kana input mode on your machine just to see what happens you’ll be pleased to see that each key you press comes out correctly with no weirdness.

You also get the extra JIS modifier keys like 無変換, 変換, かな, etc. Not many sets include these. You might not need them, but if you’re going for the Japanese aesthetic you may be able to find a use for them.  If you really want to experiment, there is nothing stopping you from exploring a JIS-style bottom row with an ANSI layout for your alphas and punctuation! I personally think the smaller space bar with a 1.25U key to either side opens up a lot of possibilities and is a more convenient layout than the other popular split-spacebar options out there! You could use them as raise/lower keys to enable two different layer options like the Planck, for example.

Other than that, it’s a fairly standard WoB colourway by GMK. If you happen to be in the market for white-on-black with hiragana sublegends it’s exactly what you’re looking for!
Hey man, thank you for the thorough explanation. It really helped my understanding of this set that there's more to it compared to sets that Japanese as an aesthetic. I think I'll consider picking it up if there's a group buy.

Offline nihonjam

« Reply #62 on: Thu, 12 November 2020, 18:57:58 »
I looked at the icons which I assume represent roundabouts but they don't really exist here and also, since driving here is on the Left Hand Side the direction of the arrows are wrong.

Offline kidviddy

• 駄日記
« Reply #63 on: Thu, 12 November 2020, 19:20:26 »
I looked at the icons which I assume represent roundabouts but they don't really exist here and also, since driving here is on the Left Hand Side the direction of the arrows are wrong.

The icons don’t represent roundabouts, they just represent the idea of “convert” (変換) or “don’t convert” (無変換), following a convention used in a few different Japanese icon-based keycap sets, notably the Happy Hacking Keyboard and the Filco MiniLa.  For this purpose, either direction would be fine, I think, but if you look at the photos of the Filco MiniLa and the HHKB in the first post you’ll notice that both adopt an anti-clockwise convention, so it seems reasonable to do the same here.

EDIT: Could’ve sworn the OP included a photo of the HHKB!  Here it is, for reference: https://www.pfu.fujitsu.com/direct/hhkb/detail_hhkb-pro-jp.html
« Last Edit: Thu, 12 November 2020, 19:22:42 by kidviddy »

Offline 2Moons

« Reply #64 on: Thu, 12 November 2020, 20:14:51 »

The icon, a circle and a circle with an x was originally designed by Filco. Filco decided not to copyright the icon and instead make it open source for anyone to use. Realforce uses it on nearly all their JIS keyboards and HHKB as well. It's pretty universal.

I even called Realforce to make sure it was ok to use. I'm so happy that we could include it in the set.

Offline tsundeoku

• 積読工房
« Reply #65 on: Sun, 15 November 2020, 10:45:01 »
If you provide a couple examples of sets that have them, I'll take it to a couple people and ask what they think. Otherwise I don't see much benefit considering system, blank caps, and JIS mac specific caps are already included. Can you provide some documentation for the use of command keys as well? I would appreciate it.

GMK Modern Dolch is the first that comes to mind, although I have seen others.

Is there a particular reason for the "System" legend used in these mockups instead? I'm not aware of any operating system that refers to a modifier as the "System" key.
« Last Edit: Sun, 15 November 2020, 19:55:40 by tsundeoku »

Offline 2Moons

« Reply #66 on: Sun, 15 November 2020, 17:40:34 »

GMK Modern Dolch is the first that comes to mind, although I have seen others.

Is there a particular reason for the "System" legend used in these mockups instead? I'm not aware of any operating system that refers to a modifier as the "System" key.

Sure it's quite common among all GMK sets. Usually it's System, Super, Code, etc. Your links didn't work but lets stake a look at the Modern Dolch GB. https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=106764.100

It looks like Moden Dolch had its own command kit. Is that what you're looking for? Among the 7100 base kits sold, only 252 command kits were sold. That's not very encouraging. In addition to this, Modern Dolch separated numpad and everything was sold separately. I don't personally want to go that route.

I think the biggest factor is this:

30+ new molds and a new space bar. I think an R2 could defiantly support more keycaps but for now I'm not sure. I will take this information to some people though and ask. Once these caps are made, future sets will be much easier to make. Here are the new ones:

« Last Edit: Sun, 15 November 2020, 17:52:26 by 2Moons »

Offline tsundeoku

• 積読工房
« Reply #67 on: Sun, 15 November 2020, 19:58:16 »
Fair enough. Being GMK, it should be easy to mix and match with other sets, anyway.

Offline 2Moons

« Reply #68 on: Sun, 15 November 2020, 22:13:26 »
Fair enough. Being GMK, it should be easy to mix and match with other sets, anyway.

Strawpoll completed.
« Last Edit: Mon, 16 November 2020, 03:41:25 by 2Moons »

Offline lush_bunny

• TBR Prime | 7V | Pandora | Kaze
Re: [IC] GMK JIS (Japanese Industrial Standards) WoB - Kit Straw Poll In Comments
« Reply #69 on: Sun, 15 November 2020, 22:31:12 »
Will there be a black version of the space bars kit?

Offline 2Moons

Re: [IC] GMK JIS (Japanese Industrial Standards) WoB - Kit Straw Poll In Comments
« Reply #70 on: Sun, 15 November 2020, 23:14:24 »

A base kit and an extensions kit is all black spacebars except 6.0 and 6.25.

Offline lush_bunny

« Reply #71 on: Mon, 16 November 2020, 00:53:05 »

Yes I wanted a a black 6.0u bar haha
But either way, I'm in.

Offline Howgii

« Reply #72 on: Thu, 19 November 2020, 06:50:57 »

Why would you add a white 6u if there is no black 6u? Makes no sense to me especially since this is supposed to be a WoB set. Or am I misunderstanding?

Offline 2Moons

« Reply #73 on: Thu, 19 November 2020, 07:05:52 »

Why would you add a white 6u if there is no black 6u? Makes no sense to me especially since this is supposed to be a WoB set. Or am I misunderstanding?

It's true, there is no black 6u. Also there is no offset 6u found in most kits either. Personally 6u is not a thing I have ever used, but a white version is in the space kit just in case. Is a 6u black also something you would want? Personally I'd rather have at least the white in there for someone who might want it.

Offline 2Moons

Re: [IC] GMK JIS (Japanese Industrial Standards) WoB (Render Update)
« Reply #74 on: Wed, 23 December 2020, 03:03:04 »
New renders. Thanks to King22. Thank you so much for your work. Glad I can help with your project as well.

Next Steps
Finalize kits for the last and final time.
Final pricing.
Finalize vendors.
Fix problems with some Kanji to GMK specs.
Mark Rows and sizes.

Offline yh

• hyurinkb
« Reply #75 on: Wed, 23 December 2020, 04:50:58 »
Wow, what a unique name and set! Looks like it will be quite successful! Thank you for this, and GLWIC!

Offline Howgii

« Reply #76 on: Sat, 26 December 2020, 06:17:52 »

It's true, there is no black 6u. Also there is no offset 6u found in most kits either. Personally 6u is not a thing I have ever used, but a white version is in the space kit just in case. Is a 6u black also something you would want? Personally I'd rather have at least the white in there for someone who might want it.
I know that some international layouts use 6u. I do also have keyboards that use 6u with offset stems, but I’m not in a great need of it. I just found it strange that the spacebars were white since the theme of the set was WoB

Offline yoot

• none
« Reply #77 on: Sun, 27 December 2020, 14:57:12 »
excited to see this happen (hopefully  ;D)

Offline lush_bunny

« Reply #78 on: Wed, 30 December 2020, 07:39:43 »

My current board (Timber Wolf) and a future board (Bushwacker) have these really nice symmetrical bottom row that utilizes centered 6u bars. I would really love a black option...

Offline moonexe

« Reply #79 on: Mon, 04 January 2021, 22:48:52 »
I just ordered a Japanese filco board, so I'm very interested in this.
The only additional caps I'd want that are not currently included are the separate numpad top row... But I suppose that has nothing to do with JIS. :rolleyes:

G80-3000, MX brown           -           Filco Majestouch 2 HAKUA TKL+TK, MX brown, JIS Layout

Offline sup3r170va

« Reply #80 on: Tue, 05 January 2021, 09:39:12 »
Interested. Will u consider a BoW kit too? :)

Offline kezess

« Reply #81 on: Tue, 05 January 2021, 20:34:59 »
Really really looking forward for this one, I hope you can manage to achieve the desirable accuracy. I'm totally in.

Offline Kingjunguhn

« Reply #82 on: Tue, 05 January 2021, 23:46:25 »
This looks Incredibly clean, Just what I was after
url=https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=107845.0][/url

Offline swangful

« Reply #83 on: Wed, 06 January 2021, 13:45:41 »
i need this

Offline DERBS

• N E 3u bars avail?
« Reply #84 on: Thu, 07 January 2021, 01:20:56 »
N E Black 3u bars available?

Offline boyjun

« Reply #85 on: Mon, 11 January 2021, 17:17:09 »
hoping for a canadian vendor, ty

Offline moonexe

« Reply #86 on: Mon, 11 January 2021, 18:20:06 »
+1 for a Canadian vendor.

G80-3000, MX brown           -           Filco Majestouch 2 HAKUA TKL+TK, MX brown, JIS Layout

Offline 2Moons

« Reply #87 on: Mon, 11 January 2021, 21:26:53 »
+1 for a Canadian vendor.

I'll contact Apex.  :D

Offline jagger27

• ne 1.5U supers???
« Reply #88 on: Tue, 12 January 2021, 12:46:15 »
Yes

Offline ryukomatoi

« Reply #89 on: Tue, 12 January 2021, 14:55:21 »
Renders have improved. Looks great!

Offline lush_bunny

« Reply #90 on: Wed, 13 January 2021, 07:18:02 »
any luck with a black spacebars kit?  :)

Offline CookieFlow

« Reply #91 on: Fri, 22 January 2021, 14:06:18 »
I guess it's too late for an Artisan / Rama to happen?

Offline 2Moons

« Reply #92 on: Fri, 22 January 2021, 17:49:50 »
I guess it's too late for an Artisan / Rama to happen?

Not too late. If you have any suggestions for artisans, I will try to reach out to them. If you're an artisan maker, message me.

I can have my vendor reach out to Rama.

any luck with a black spacebars kit?  :)

Between the base kit spacebars and the extensions kit, I believe only 6u in black is missing.
« Last Edit: Fri, 22 January 2021, 18:07:20 by 2Moons »

Offline lush_bunny

« Reply #93 on: Fri, 22 January 2021, 18:13:04 »
Between the base kit spacebars and the extensions kit, I believe only 6u in black is missing.

Unfortunate, but I respect your decision if this is final.

Offline CookieFlow

« Reply #94 on: Fri, 22 January 2021, 18:19:11 »
Yay so there is still hope that an Artisan could happen.
Sadly I am not a maker myself.

I think a Rama "Ensō circle" ( 円相 ) could be really nice with the minimal / clean look and it's very fitting for a Japanese theme.
Black circle on a white key (Maybe some people would prefer reversed colors. Personally I love the contrast of White Escape/White Enter and White Spacebars. Also it's the traditional representation with black ink on white paper).
I don't know if Rama can achieve the same look as one done by hand with a brush, but I feel it could look awesome.
« Last Edit: Fri, 22 January 2021, 18:33:39 by CookieFlow »

Offline moonexe

« Reply #95 on: Sun, 24 January 2021, 11:46:40 »
If we're still adding to it... Top row tab/back/= for numpads in the extension kit?  :D

Offline Coby

« Reply #96 on: Thu, 04 February 2021, 09:33:40 »
 Been here since the beginning can't wait to get a set on hand  :p

Offline Shiba1337

« Reply #97 on: Thu, 04 February 2021, 15:52:55 »
If this is truly meant to be Japanese, I would expect to see a full hiragana alphas kit.

Offline haystack

« Reply #98 on: Thu, 04 February 2021, 16:18:14 »
If this is truly meant to be Japanese, I would expect to see a full hiragana alphas kit.

Actual LOL. Thank you for that.

Offline Coby

« Reply #99 on: Thu, 04 February 2021, 16:40:20 »

Actual LOL. Thank you for that.

I agree as well.