Author Topic: [IC] Single switch PCB  (Read 33083 times)

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
[IC] Single switch PCB
« on: Mon, 10 March 2014, 01:54:31 »
This is only an interest check for single switch PCB's.  I am currently working with some other members to develop (read I can't run KiCad) a single switch PCB for people who want a custom layout but:

• Don't want to pay for a single PCB or 3 from OshPark
  • Don't want to or don't have the ability to solder the rows and columns directly to the pins of the switches
  • Want to have a more secure method for back lighting
  • Want to try something a little bit different

We currently have a design but I am also looking for someone to check over the files when the final touches are finished.  Right now I think it is a couple silk screen details getting touched up.

As of right now the design will allow for MX with in switch or SMD diodes, LED's, and Alps switches.  There are also inter connect pads (SMD style) to connect both the switch and the LED's to the next and previous switches in the row and/or column.  These PCB's also only measure .5 inch x .5 inch so only the inter connect pads need to be desoldered to pull the switch.  No through hole desoldering needed unless LED's are installed without modding the top half of the switch housing.  This should work with MX switches however I have no idea what the dimensions are in the plate for Alps switches.

Images will be released upon finalization of last couple details.  If you are interested in ordering a set as a guinea pig for these or be willing to look over the files (please have PCB design experience) please send me a PM.  These will be released open source so if there is any interest for a GB on these it will probably only be one.

Here are a couple images of the PCB's.  I just ordered a batch of 9 for a total of 3.75 with free shipping.

(Attachment Link)

After I receive these I will build them up into a small matrix for testing and depending on what happens I will probably open up a group buy.

If we can hit 600 units the price drops from $5 per square inch to $1 per square inch.  At the reduced price it would only cost $26 to do a full 104 key layout.  Other goodies are possibly in the future as well.

Group buy is live.
« Last Edit: Fri, 25 April 2014, 10:17:04 by Melvang »
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
Re: IC Single switch PCB
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 10 March 2014, 02:14:08 »
Interested. Seems like a fun project to work with, and if all fails, you have PCB mounted switches for fun

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 10 March 2014, 03:31:10 »
Dimensions of Alps switches are 12.8x15.5mm, so the PCB should work as you have mentioned, it is 12.7x12.7mm (0.5x0.5in).

Interested.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 10 March 2014, 07:30:02 »
Are we going for something like this?

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=41004.0

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 10 March 2014, 07:33:15 »
I'd be interested if Alps support comes to fruition.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 10 March 2014, 07:42:54 »
Are we going for something like this?

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=41004.0

There will still be desoldering to be done but it will just be 4 wires that are soldered to a pad.  No through hole to remove switches.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 10 March 2014, 11:57:41 »
Here are a couple images of the PCB's.  I just ordered a batch of 9 for a total of 3.75 with free shipping.

57059-0

After I receive these I will build them up into a small matrix for testing and depending on what happens I will probably open up a group buy.

If we can hit 600 units the price drops from $5 per square inch to $1 per square inch.  At the reduced price it would only cost $26 to do a full 104 key layout.  Other goodies are possibly in the future as well.
« Last Edit: Mon, 10 March 2014, 12:01:03 by Melvang »

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 10 March 2014, 12:08:42 »
Color me interested :D

Offline regack

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 10 March 2014, 12:14:56 »
oh... uhh, I a few of these that I received a couple of weeks ago, but I haven't gotten the chance to play with it yet...

57065-0

But of course, this is a completely different thing... I just like that everyone is independently coming up with crazy stuff :D
« Last Edit: Mon, 10 March 2014, 12:17:06 by regack »

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 10 March 2014, 12:19:55 »
(Attachment Link)

Oh, wow, those look great! What is the dimension on those?

I think we can use this opportunity to expand the MegaTroller. What do you say?

How about including a version that includes 2 AS1115 for LED control.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 10 March 2014, 12:22:36 »
Why do I get the feeling that this thread is about to get hijacked?  I don't mind though given the direction it is going.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 10 March 2014, 12:28:22 »
oh... uhh, I a few of these that I received a couple of weeks ago, but I haven't gotten the chance to play with it yet...

(Attachment Link)

But of course, this is a completely different thing... I just like that everyone is independently coming up with crazy stuff :D

What happened with Rev1? :P :D

Offline regack

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 10 March 2014, 12:37:39 »
Why do I get the feeling that this thread is about to get hijacked?  I don't mind though given the direction it is going.

Sorry, not trying to threadjack... but now I know what the secret project was :D ...
and it was close to this thing, so I posted it, even if this is actually an IC. 

Anyway, you can count me as interested...

(Attachment Link)

Oh, wow, those look great! What is the dimension on those?

I think we can use this opportunity to expand the MegaTroller. What do you say?

How about including a version that includes 2 AS1115 for LED control.

It's 19.05mm x 19.05mm - it could probably be made just a little bit smaller with some work.   I have the micronucleus firmware running on the 2-key version, but I have yet to actual stick another program on top of that.

What happened with Rev1?

That's a pretty good question actually, and is more representative of my workflow than anything else.   Basically any time I touch something and I have to hit save (even if it's moving a silkscreen to the other side or something, I make a new revision. 

Offline Misterorjoe

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 10 March 2014, 13:12:14 »
You can count me in for this.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 10 March 2014, 14:40:37 »
Boards have been sent to the fabricator.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 10 March 2014, 20:04:30 »
wwww

(Attachment Link)

love the silkscreening. hah!

gonna need a lot of chording to get 100 effective keys out of that ;)

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline pichu23

• ୧༼ಠ益ಠ༽୨ FITE ME
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • ʕ ͡·ᴥ ͡· ʔ
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 10 March 2014, 20:55:30 »
These looks cool. :O
Collection(s) : Ducky Shine 2 TKL x Poker II x 62g FaceW x 62g Gateron Black GON NerD TKL x 65g Z GON NerD 60

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 17 March 2014, 23:48:15 »
My set of 9 PCB's are in the mail.  Will get them soldered up with both MX and Alps switches and get em soldered to a teensy in a simple matrix and get it going.  This will be interesting as it will be my first attempt at actually programming a Teensy.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
Re: [IC] Single switch PCB
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 20 March 2014, 20:07:08 »
Just arrived today.  I still need to get them broke apart and cleaned up and soldered to some switches, and check if the PCB fits through cherry and alps holes.  I am planning on making a 3x3 matrix with them and a firmware made up.

58139-0

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 20 March 2014, 20:09:25 »
Just arrived today.  I still need to get them broke apart and cleaned up and soldered to some switches, and check if the PCB fits through cherry and alps holes.  I am planning on making a 3x3 matrix with them and a firmware made up.

(Attachment Link)

Sweetttt

Offline WinterIsle

« Reply #20 on: Thu, 20 March 2014, 20:16:54 »
Interested :-X

Offline regack

« Reply #21 on: Thu, 20 March 2014, 21:05:08 »
Woo hoo! looks good!

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #22 on: Thu, 20 March 2014, 21:08:13 »
I will get the PCBs soldered to some switches tonight and then mount them in the plate.   :eek:

I am not going to be able to get anything as far as a matrix wired up tonight since I have to work in the morning.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #23 on: Thu, 20 March 2014, 23:52:37 »
Here is a link to my imgur album for these PCBs.  I have not had time to really look at these for soldering to a matrix yet but that is the next step.

http://imgur.com/a/0LBiB#0

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #24 on: Fri, 21 March 2014, 00:11:36 »
Looking good thus far.

Any problems you faced up until now?

Offline WinterIsle

« Reply #25 on: Fri, 21 March 2014, 00:37:08 »
I'm thinking to use this pcb to make switch tester with a battery and on/off switch for the led, then a keychain perhaps :-X

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #26 on: Wed, 02 April 2014, 14:40:37 »
I have the matrix wired up and am working on writing firmware for it.  This is my first programming experience so it might be a bit compared to the vets here.  I have also submitted some ideas for a slight revision to address ease of wiring issues.  If those pan out I will order another 9 piece set and see how those go.

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #27 on: Wed, 02 April 2014, 14:43:03 »
Are you using a Teensy?

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #28 on: Wed, 02 April 2014, 18:57:13 »

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #29 on: Wed, 02 April 2014, 19:01:05 »
Why not use TMK then?

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #30 on: Wed, 02 April 2014, 19:46:42 »
Why not use TMK then?

That is what I am using but this is my first custom firmware and first attempt at programming anything more than a Ti-82 to puke out answers for physics problems.  And that was 15 years ago.

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #31 on: Wed, 02 April 2014, 22:15:58 »
Best of luck

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #32 on: Thu, 03 April 2014, 04:51:08 »
Why not use TMK then?

That is what I am using but this is my first custom firmware and first attempt at programming anything more than a Ti-82 to puke out answers for physics problems.  And that was 15 years ago.

I recommend soarer's firmware. I was able to figure it out no problems for my LH ergodox project.

I also recommend using an LED or in switch diode to anchor the PCB well, though it doesn't matter so much if you're plate mounting and because the PCB mass is so small WRT the switch. Still, I consider it "best practice" unless you are working with a plate.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #33 on: Thu, 03 April 2014, 08:40:22 »
Why not use TMK then?

I recommend soarer's firmware. I was able to figure it out no problems for my LH ergodox project.

I also recommend using an LED or in switch diode to anchor the PCB well, though it doesn't matter so much if you're plate mounting and because the PCB mass is so small WRT the switch. Still, I consider it "best practice" unless you are working with a plate.

I am going to stick with TMK firmware for this because it has options that I am going to need in the future, mostly the dual role keys.  Since my custom project won't have any modifier keys physically.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #34 on: Thu, 03 April 2014, 08:47:05 »
Crap...did I miss out on this?

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #35 on: Thu, 03 April 2014, 11:51:56 »
Crap...did I miss out on this?

Not yet, I am still working on getting a functioning matrix working for this.  I have it all soldered up right now and am working on getting a firmware built for this.  I have submitted some revision requests to Moz but he is pretty busy right now so it might be a bit.  The revisions are not functional changes just to address ease of soldering issues.  When it is ready I will post a group buy.

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #36 on: Thu, 03 April 2014, 17:58:02 »
v2: Now support upto 19ga wire, better identification of LED cathode, diode cathode

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #37 on: Thu, 03 April 2014, 19:28:53 »
v2: Now support upto 19ga wire, better identification of LED cathode, diode cathode

Show Image

I have to ask what is going on with the 3 holes on the LED pad?  I would assume this is for inter PCB connect.  Looks amazing Moz.  After I get the firmware finished up and functioning for my current 3x3 bed, I will order another 9 pack of them and test them.  Thanks tons again Moz.

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #38 on: Thu, 03 April 2014, 19:43:59 »
Yeah, that is for the interconnect. As for the silkscreen, for the diode, the bar on the diode goes on the side with the bar, and for LED, long leg goes on the longer leg shown.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #39 on: Thu, 03 April 2014, 20:04:37 »
This is pretty cool. I would be interested in a bunch of these when you are ready to order in quantity. Love what you guys are doing here. Moz, nice attention paid to the silkscreen. 

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #40 on: Thu, 03 April 2014, 20:08:46 »
Out of curiosity, how are these expected to be mounted to anything? Quarter round cut outs on the corners maybe?

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #41 on: Thu, 03 April 2014, 20:27:12 »
Out of curiosity, how are these expected to be mounted to anything? Quarter round cut outs on the corners maybe?

The pcb mounts to the switch only.  The switch will have to be plate mounted.

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #42 on: Thu, 03 April 2014, 20:36:36 »
Quarter round cut outs on the corners maybe?

You scared of sharp edges?

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #43 on: Thu, 03 April 2014, 20:39:40 »

The pcb mounts to the switch only.  The switch will have to be plate mounted.

Oh ok...  I guess that makes sense...  :P

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #44 on: Thu, 03 April 2014, 20:40:52 »
Quarter round cut outs on the corners maybe?

You scared of sharp edges?

I was thinking more along the lines of PCB mounting (ish) these and using a single bolt to hold the corner of 4 of these in place.  It would be a lot of bolts...  :)  It would be hard to wire these up and do that though.  I was considering the possibility of having these at different angles and not on a single plane.  Not sure if that is realistic at all though...
« Last Edit: Thu, 03 April 2014, 20:43:56 by swill »

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #45 on: Thu, 03 April 2014, 21:11:09 »
Well it is smaller than the base of a switch, so it will be the switch which will be the bottleneck in flexibility, but still:

« Last Edit: Thu, 03 April 2014, 21:16:14 by MOZ »

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #46 on: Thu, 03 April 2014, 22:22:37 »
You have my attention
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #47 on: Thu, 03 April 2014, 22:32:07 »
I'm down for anything that regack makes :P
I love Elzy

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #48 on: Thu, 03 April 2014, 23:01:21 »
Lol, I made these. The names on the silkscreen are for thise that have been instrumental in some way or another, regack is my mentor, lowpoly was the one who started the hand wired stuff, komar really brought the whole open source pcb thing, and bpiphany started it off with the phantom.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #49 on: Thu, 03 April 2014, 23:02:21 »
Your name wasn't very noticeable on it whoops. Still down for one
I love Elzy