Author Topic: Lootkeys Keycap Project  (Read 64953 times)

Offline whizzard

• whizzard got ur gizzard
    • LOOTKEYS BLOG
Lootkeys Keycap Project
« on: Thu, 09 April 2015, 20:16:42 »

Keycap Crafting Project

First time here?  A little about myself and this project....

Main reason I make these?  I LOVE THIS COMMUNITY AND ALL YOU GUYS!!  It is great to contribute to it in my own way.

I started crafting keys in March 2015.  First thing to know is that I am a one man outfit, and this makes my keys a little hard to come by.  This is something I am trying to fix... but I can be a bit of a perfectionist, and would rather scrap a key with a minor defect than ever sell it to the community.  The members that look for these things have a quite discerning eye,  and want quality caps to collect and display on their boards.  I am this way myself!  So if I wouldn't be happy with a key on my board, I wouldn't sell it.

I have spent a LOT of time selecting the best possible materials as far as resins and molds.  Through trial and error I have come to what I believe is the best materials for a given key.  This was expensive to say the least, but I really think it was worth it.  This way you get a really high quality key that will last forever, and I can be proud of making.  For instance, one single key depending on the mold can take me up to 16 hours just to cast.  After casting I do finish work to make sure the key looks tip top before I can sell them.  This involves a lot more work, but I want to be proud of my productions so that anyone who gets one will wonder where it came from and come find me.

I am known for producing some really funky caps.. this is because I might come up with an idea and need to see it through.  Most of these I do not mass produce because they are so unorthodox.  An example would be my campfire key, flux keypacitor, space race, angry face, and more.  But if someone expresses an interest in a key,  that is when I will make a few of them and put on a sale or giveaway.  I do this as a hobby,  and not as a reliable source of income, so my sales and giveaways are few and far between.  But if you watch this thread you are sure to get every update.

FAQ:

Q:Why are you in "Making Stuff Together" instead of the Artisan forum?[
A: I have a thread there too but it is mainly now for sales.

Q: You said you spend a lot on this, why don't you do more sales?
A: As I said earlier, this is more of a hobby than something I can do full time.  I really love making caps, but with other stuff on my plate it takes a back seat from time to time.  If I ever start going into full time you all will be the first to know.  I also really value input so if  you see something you like, tell me!

Q: How can I buy one of your keycaps?
A: The best way is to watch this thread regularly.  Because we are in this forum you have a bit more time to respond and can get a key you will likely want.  If I do small sales / giveaways here and I don't have enough traffic to my thread to get rid of them all,  I may consider doing my future sales in the Artisan forum.  But as I said, right now it is more of a collaboration with the community here and trying to get myself a good reputation as a crafter.  I also run a loyalty program called "lootscore" so the more you do business with me the better chance  you have of grabbing something you would want.

Q: I have a question about one of your earlier keys,  and want to buy one, but will it ever go on sale again?
A: Best thing to do is post on this thread.  I would prefer that to private messages,  and if someone is really interested in a cap and I still have the mold I can certainly do my best to accomodate.

Q: What are your most popular keys?
A:  Right now people seem to really like the simplicity of my "Ice Cube" which is a semi transparent key with a nice texture and lights really well on LED boards.  I am now making them in different colors but mostly blue and clear.  My other most popular has been my "Äbductor" keys which are the alien head ones with the bumps on the sides.  Feel free to scan this thread and you will see almost every prototype I have come up with, most of which I still have the molds for.

Welcome to LOOTKEYS and enjoy your stay!

Current Status:   *** SEE LATEST POSTS ***

Popular Key - Ice Cube Sub Zero

Check latest posts for project updates.
« Last Edit: Mon, 15 February 2016, 21:47:46 by whizzard »

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
Re: New Crafted Keycaps
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 09 April 2015, 20:34:06 »
Wow, pretty amazing for just starting out. Are you using pressure, vac, or both?  Seems bubble free.
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 09 April 2015, 20:51:18 »
I'm loving the dude in the second pic.
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline whizzard

• LOOTKEYS BLOG
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 10 April 2015, 17:31:41 »
Thanks... I am using vacuum degassing with a little pump I got and a chamber I made using air tool parts and a cookie jar with a seal...  I just got a pressure tank that is normally used for painting houses but I made it into a pressure chamber because what I am using now is a product that should use pressurization.

Thanks for the kind words, I am trying new designs and working on getting the keys looking as good as I can.

When you said you like the dude in the second pic do you mean the multi-color alien or the biggie smalls key? hehe

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 10 April 2015, 19:07:32 »
I thought the alien looked huge but biggie definitely wins that contest!  Is the alien designed to go with tall SA caps or does it just look tall because of the angle?  I like it anyway :)

I'm also intrigued what the burgundy and green ones next to biggie are, especially the green one with spots?

Keep up the good work!
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline whizzard

• LOOTKEYS BLOG
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 11 April 2015, 01:31:16 »
Thank you!  It was not designed to go with any specific type of cap, I just happen to have the Deep Space on the keyboard it has been living on.

The one you are talking about in the pic with the spots was one of my first sculpts, I liked it as well but thought it may be too simple for most people, but it does have a kinda cool look so maybe I will work on it again.

I am going to post works in progress a bit more just for fun and feedback... I have been just doing this in my spare time and was too lazy to post about it :P

So what I am working on right now is my shield key.  It is a sculpt that I have been working on lately, and the reason I wanted to make it was because with all the zombies, skulls, killer robots and whatnot on our keyboards... I thought it would be nice to  have something positive to protect ourselves with!  What better than a shield with a cross on it? 

Anyhow, the pic in the first post was the inside part and I just finished with the outside of it.  This part will be cast, centered, and hopefully finished.  This kinda shows my design process.  Sometimes I make one part and build on that.  I am also going to use silver for the shield part with a red or white cross.  Anyhow, this is where it is for now ready to be cast and fixed up hopefully tonight or tomorrow.

Offline whizzard

• LOOTKEYS BLOG
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 14 April 2015, 13:37:30 »
Next step:

This is the cast of the outer part of the key.  Next step is to modify and carve this to look more sharp and detailed.... getting closer to the final product.  Very bright white, made the pic not easy to see, but just a potato to show progress.

Offline whizzard

• LOOTKEYS BLOG
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 20 April 2015, 22:44:24 »
Carved the shield a bit, also working on making some "face keys" as I call them.  This one will be scrapped but I learned some good stuff working on it.  Still really enjoying crafting these.  Of course, these are just tests, and are not cleaned up.

Offline whizzard

• LOOTKEYS BLOG
Re: Keycap DIY Cap Crafting Log
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 29 April 2015, 00:13:04 »
Here are my latest cap creations.  Still working out a few bugs, but very close to how I think they should be.

As you can see.... little pieces missing here and there and the color needs to be a bit tighter but I am getting there I think.

Offline whizzard

• LOOTKEYS BLOG
Re: "Lootkeys" Cap Crafting Log
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 30 April 2015, 09:20:30 »
I have gotten the "Abductor" alien style key finished and decided to use the first post in the thread to update my finished designs.  Now I am working on the key that looks like the grimacing face.  I am still not 100 percent happy with the shield key and I am going to modify the symbol on the front a bit more as well before considering that one finished.  But these two are definitely going to be key numbers 2 and 3.  I am trying to keep things numbered because it makes them fun to collect if there ends up being an interest in them... as well as a way to check the names and design types.  As long as I keep having fun making them I might end up with a lot of different and unique key designs, and that will help me keep track of them all.

I had a strange idea of making a campfire key... you know little logs with a flame on it, only transparent in the middle so it lights up from a LED.  Might be a bit too intricate but when I start a new design I might give it a shot anyhow!

Offline rm-rf

Re: "Lootkeys" Artisan Keys Crafting Log
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 04 May 2015, 14:40:29 »
these are quite awesome!
every time i see hand made keycaps, i think to myself... "i should try this"
i am excited to see more of your work in the days to come!

Offline tigersharkdude

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 04 May 2015, 17:04:08 »
First thoughts after seeing this ..

Offline whizzard

• LOOTKEYS BLOG
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 07 May 2015, 08:55:31 »
Show Image

Show Image

Hahahha!!  Yes, very angry key.

I have a new process that makes the eyes and mouth completely transparent,  I really like the way it looks on a lit up keyboard.  This is a blurry phone potato pic but I have a lot of pics of keys to take with my good camera later.  This is the latest thing that I have learned how to do, basically a 3 shot,  a few pupils + base + transparency.

« Last Edit: Thu, 07 May 2015, 09:03:46 by whizzard »

Offline whizzard

• LOOTKEYS BLOG
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 08 May 2015, 14:58:31 »
I am very excited today because after testing quite a few different materials I have found what I will make all my caps out of from now on.  It has only one drawback, it takes a long time and multiple steps to get it right.  But because I would rather make a small amount of really quality caps instead of a ton of mediocre ones, I am going to stick with this material.  It is very strong, dense, and tough... even with the small thickness of most keycap walls.  I was pretty amazed when I finally took it out of the mold and I couldn't tell the difference between this cap and a standard injection molded one from a factory.

I will post a bunch of pics of all the caps I made using various materials later.  I really feel like I am starting to make quality progress with this project.  :thumb:

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 09 May 2015, 05:55:43 »
Sounds good :)

Most of the good artisan keycap makers seem to make a small quantity of very high quality keycaps, so you must be on the right road!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline whizzard

• LOOTKEYS BLOG
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 14 May 2015, 00:57:17 »
Sounds good :)

Most of the good artisan keycap makers seem to make a small quantity of very high quality keycaps, so you must be on the right road!

Thanks for the encouragement!   It is nice to hear, this is a tough hobby.. but really fun and addictive once you get into it.  I am working on it a little every day even though I don't post in this thread often.  Really fun to do these.  So I am posting a bunch of prototypes of a few designs.  They are made with different materials and colors as well as different attempts at trying new things.

Abductor Keys:

Angrys:

I made some with translucent eyes and teeth so it looks cool on a LED lit switch.  They came out OK but are hard to capture in a photograph properly ... :

This is just a clear keycap that I call an icecube.. I like it as my FN key... :

And yes... I am strange enough to make a campfire key.. I have no idea why I had the desire to make this, but it was fun!  Also looks better in person, this photo didn't get the detail on the logs, so it looks like a flaming pile of dog crap in this pic LOL ... but the firey translucent flame part came out well.  The white granite base is a new effect I have just learned how to do.

Through all this I am getting better and better at working with the materials to get the look I want, and the right material to use.  As I said in my last post, I have a great strong material that I am using from now on.  I am going to work on some new sculpts and possibly a new tool for switches next.  Really enjoying this project!  I also have a new idea to make the base for the "Abductor" alien key that will be black with white dots (to look like space).  Anyhow, thanks geek hackers, I will update again soon!

Offline GenKaan

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Mer caps, mindre käbbel
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 14 May 2015, 03:20:37 »
Heey they look pretty sick :) Love the alien one
|| @Home:: Shine 3 TKL (Mx Red / Deep Space)  || @Work:: G2Pro (Mx Clear / Dye Sub PBT) ||
@Reserve:: HHKB (Topre 45g / Mixed PBT) // Das v3 (Mx Brown / Blank PBT)

Offline whizzard

• LOOTKEYS BLOG
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 14 May 2015, 12:07:27 »
Heey they look pretty sick :) Love the alien one

Thank you very much  ;D

I will take a pic when I get the one with the "Outer Space" base. (black with white dots)

Offline cmadrid

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 14 May 2015, 12:51:53 »
I think the fire looks sweet, they all look pretty good!

Offline whizzard

• LOOTKEYS BLOG
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 14 May 2015, 23:45:24 »
I think the fire looks sweet, they all look pretty good!

Thanks I appreciate it... next time I shoot photos hopefully I can get it in better focus.  Right now I am working on a key I am going to call the "Flux Keypacitor" ... I always loved BTTF...  88 MILES PER HOUR!!!!    :thumb:

Offline 27

• The Maple Man
« Reply #20 on: Fri, 15 May 2015, 23:26:56 »
I have a background in 3D modeling, and plan to eventually add a 3D printer that can make micron size designs in the future.

I could help out with that, depending on where you're located.
IG: https://www.instagram.com/27mechs/                                        Website: http://www.mech27.com/

Offline whizzard

• LOOTKEYS BLOG
« Reply #21 on: Sun, 17 May 2015, 20:12:20 »
I have a background in 3D modeling, and plan to eventually add a 3D printer that can make micron size designs in the future.

I could help out with that, depending on where you're located.

What kind of machine do you have?  I am planning on getting a stereo-lithographic unit because they have really good resolution and I can make my prototype with it, then use conventional methods to copy it.

Offline whizzard

• LOOTKEYS BLOG
« Reply #22 on: Wed, 20 May 2015, 13:29:24 »
When this baby hits 88 words per minute... your gonna see some serious s#*%.

"Flux Keypacitor"

Really fun to make, lots of work though!  The key is flat, the top is clear in case anyone was wondering.   :thumb:

Offline whizzard

• LOOTKEYS BLOG
« Reply #23 on: Fri, 29 May 2015, 10:26:24 »
Just an update... I now have found a really nice method for casting clear "icecube" caps.  I am also going to do a giveaway soon of a bunch of caps, so stay tuned for that!  I was thinking of giving some of my test keys away, but I want to give you guys the result of all my testing and madness by using the method and material that I prefer for rigidity and quality.

The giveaway will be "Abductor" keys as well as the clear "Ice Cube" keys as well as my newest sculpt that I am very excited about.  I have 3 different "Ice Cube" molds for both DSA, DCS, and another custom size.  If anyone is interested in any of the more esoteric and strange keys I have made (flux keypacitor, madface, campfire) just let me know on this thread and I will include a few of those too.

Thanks for your feedback and thanks for stopping in!

Offline unipsykal

• ghostly lurker
« Reply #24 on: Fri, 29 May 2015, 11:11:47 »
I like the simplicity and functionality of the icecube, nice work!

Offline retrochick

• goodbye my wallet
« Reply #25 on: Fri, 29 May 2015, 11:54:05 »
I love the angry face that's white with the transparent eyes and mouth. Awesome job with that triple cast  :p also the shield with the transparent base and white/red is dope as well. Off to a solid and impressive start.

Cherry is love. Topre is life. ~raymogi

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #26 on: Sun, 07 June 2015, 08:40:20 »
Man, your stuff is looking awesome!  Love the Flux, brings back so many fond memories of those movies!
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline nmur

• ಠ_ಠ
« Reply #27 on: Sun, 07 June 2015, 09:11:18 »

Just an update... I now have found a really nice method for casting clear "icecube" caps.  I am also going to do a giveaway soon of a bunch of caps, so stay tuned for that!  I was thinking of giving some of my test keys away, but I want to give you guys the result of all my testing and madness by using the method and material that I prefer for rigidity and quality.

The giveaway will be "Abductor" keys as well as the clear "Ice Cube" keys as well as my newest sculpt that I am very excited about.  I have 3 different "Ice Cube" molds for both DSA, DCS, and another custom size.  If anyone is interested in any of the more esoteric and strange keys I have made (flux keypacitor, madface, campfire) just let me know on this thread and I will include a few of those too.

Thanks for your feedback and thanks for stopping in!

Man I hope I'm around for this, I love the Ice Cube!

Offline retrochick

• goodbye my wallet
« Reply #28 on: Sun, 07 June 2015, 11:23:12 »
I was lucky enough to receive some keycaps from whizzard. They are awesome. Here's a quick write up of the keys.

Abductor:
This key is really fun. The colors are great and visually it's great. I noticed that the plastic is quite soft, I'm able to squeeze my thumb and forefinger and the sides of the keycaps bend. Still, for a tri-colored cap it's amazing.

Alienssssssss

Angry face:
One of my all-time favorites! The style and the expression is funny/scary/crazy, and I love how they look on a board! They are all triple cast, which just boggles my mind. For an artisan just starting out, this is indeed quite an accomplishment and I can't wait to see what you'll come up with next!

So rad on my keyboard:

It glowssss:

NEW keycap, I like to call it the Punisher, heh
This one is really fun, similar in style to the Abductor key. It too is triple cast and unlike the Abductor key the plastic is firm and the black and white color is really solid. Viewed from the top, this key looks really neat.

Ice Cube:

My other favorite of whizzard's creations. Simple, clean, beautiful. It has a permanent place on my SPRiT 60% board. Whizzard was generous enough to send me a few of these, I can see the growth and experimentation of his craft in them. The first couple of ice cubes are a bit soft, the second batch better, and the third batch is solid. I do like the diffused glow of the second, harder plastic better than the third batch, however the 3rd batch in terms of keycap feeling and smoothness is awesome. Whizzard if you're reading this, I'd really like to know which resisn/plastics you ended up using for your respective batches. I'm looking into making some teal/aqua topre keycaps for my HHKB and I think you've basically got a solid formula here with these Ice Cubes. :thumb:

#ice4daze

Keep up the great work Whizzard, you're making amazing progress!

#LOOTKEYS
« Last Edit: Sun, 07 June 2015, 11:26:37 by retrochick »

Offline apathy3cs

• Glorious Leader
  • その目だれの目?
« Reply #29 on: Sun, 07 June 2015, 17:29:24 »
When this baby hits 88 words per minute... your gonna see some serious s#*%.

"Flux Keypacitor"

Show Image

Show Image

Really fun to make, lots of work though!  The key is flat, the top is clear in case anyone was wondering.   :thumb:
This is really cool - does the center Y light up when on a backlit keyboard?  If not that would be something cool to try.

Nice job!

Offline whizzard

• LOOTKEYS BLOG
« Reply #30 on: Tue, 09 June 2015, 11:32:08 »
I want to thank retrochick for her generosity in posting such an extensive review of the samples I sent!  Seeing that really makes me proud of the work I have put into this project.

As far as the keys reviewed,  the final material that I am using for the keys (other than ice cubes) is the one used in the "Punisher" style key.  As stated it is very solid and has a great feel.  The casting time however is much longer as it takes a day or so for each key to be made, but it is worth it for the quality of the final product in my opinion.  So for new keys and the upcoming giveaway I will be sending out only keys made with that material.

As far as the ice cubes,  I tested 3 different types of resin for those.  One was called "Crystal Clear" with a 24 hour set time, and it came out fairly solid but with a bit more of an amber tone to it.  The other one was cast with "Epoxacast 690" and that came out similar to the "Crystal Clear" with a bit of an amber tone.  I ended up preferring the last material I used called "Color Pro Clear" which gave that pure white ice cubish color.  That is what I am planning to use as the material for the clear ice cube caps... because it looks very clear and is very solid when finished.  The work time is short, but keeping any bubbles or stains out of the final key is a challenge.  Unless retro gives me an argument the other way I am going to stick with that.

As far as the project goes it will slow for this week as I  have a lot of CG work I need to get done, but once I have made about 15-20 quality keys of different types using the material I have decided as the best quality I will do the giveaway.  I want to send out the final product and what you can expect from my keys in the giveaway.  They take a while to make but getting the feedback will be worth it.  I sent retro the "Punisher" key in the final material along with some beta test keys and ice cubes.

Anyhow thanks again retro for your work and all of you posting the kind words here... it really makes me want to push on with this hobby!

Offline Sn0_Man

« Reply #31 on: Tue, 09 June 2015, 11:54:04 »
These look really cool.  I'm a fan of the "punisher" in particular.

I wonder if you'd consider doing a WASD set of the Ice Cubes? I guess its kinda hard since wasd sets aren't a uniform profile etc. 
« Last Edit: Tue, 09 June 2015, 11:57:30 by Sn0_Man »
Pok3r w/Clears & blank PBT

Offline catdogpaw

« Reply #32 on: Tue, 09 June 2015, 12:42:26 »
Show Image

Show Image

Hahahha!!  Yes, very angry key.

I have a new process that makes the eyes and mouth completely transparent,  I really like the way it looks on a lit up keyboard.  This is a blurry phone potato pic but I have a lot of pics of keys to take with my good camera later.  This is the latest thing that I have learned how to do, basically a 3 shot,  a few pupils + base + transparency.

Show Image

Reminds me of:

The Red/Green Abductor is so tasty looking. I'll wait for the giveaway, but I'd buy that one in a heartbeat.
« Last Edit: Tue, 09 June 2015, 12:47:40 by catdogpaw »

Offline whizzard

• LOOTKEYS BLOG
« Reply #33 on: Thu, 11 June 2015, 02:04:40 »

I wonder if you'd consider doing a WASD set of the Ice Cubes? I guess its kinda hard since wasd sets aren't a uniform profile etc.

That is a pretty good idea.  I could do that, not as hard as you might think.  I would probably go with the OEM profile... 3 keys (ASD) of row 3, the W row 2... and then the one that I already have for the "esc" key that normally comes with WASD gamer sets (row 1).

I am surprised at the demand for the ice cubes.  It makes sense though... the clean and polished look is popular, and as much as we like collecting the artisan novelties... not all of them get a place on our everyday keyboards it seems. 

The ice cubes are both easier and harder for me to craft.  On one hand I can make them in a shorter time than the other artisans, but making sure they are perfectly clear and free of bubbles or defects can be a trouble.  Rest assured though, I am not afraid of adding to my giant jar of tests and duds.  Must be 100 keys or more in there.

Luckily, since keycaps are so small, you can afford a lot of trial and error without breaking the bank.

On another subject... I am going to stick with the lineup of keys I have made so far until I get my SLA 3d printer.  Since I work with 3D artist programs all the time it will greatly open up my creative avenues.  A mixture of 3D printing and conventional sculpting will hopefully enable me to make some really neat keys.  3D is much like sculpting with a computer, but this project has taught me a ton about the basics of physical sculpture and I have grown to enjoy it.

Because sculpting can take so long for me on each key,  I am going to go into more of a production mode and build an inventory for the giveaway that I am hoping to do very soon.  So stay tuned folks!  And thanks again for the encouragement.  Every positive comment makes me want to keep at it more and more.

Offline nmur

• ಠ_ಠ
« Reply #34 on: Thu, 11 June 2015, 02:16:05 »
I am surprised at the demand for the ice cubes.  It makes sense though... the clean and polished look is popular, and as much as we like collecting the artisan novelties... not all of them get a place on our everyday keyboards it seems. 

Yeah at lot of people like blanks and other artisans whose shapes don't deviate from the general shape of a keycap too much, because you can retain the clean look of a board while adding some colour. That being said, I don't mind having a funky designed key as an esc key, because it's pretty segregated from the rest.

Looking forward to what you can do with a 3d printer!

Offline catdogpaw

« Reply #35 on: Sat, 13 June 2015, 10:39:51 »

That is a pretty good idea.  I could do that, not as hard as you might think.  I would probably go with the OEM profile... 3 keys (ASD) of row 3, the W row 2... and then the one that I already have for the "esc" key that normally comes with WASD gamer sets (row 1).

The ice cubes are both easier and harder for me to craft.  On one hand I can make them in a shorter time than the other artisans, but making sure they are perfectly clear and free of bubbles or defects can be a trouble.  Rest assured though, I am not afraid of adding to my giant jar of tests and duds.  Must be 100 keys or more in there.

Luckily, since keycaps are so small, you can afford a lot of trial and error without breaking the bank.

On another subject... I am going to stick with the lineup of keys I have made so far until I get my SLA 3d printer.  Since I work with 3D artist programs all the time it will greatly open up my creative avenues.  A mixture of 3D printing and conventional sculpting will hopefully enable me to make some really neat keys.  3D is much like sculpting with a computer, but this project has taught me a ton about the basics of physical sculpture and I have grown to enjoy it.

Because sculpting can take so long for me on each key,  I am going to go into more of a production mode and build an inventory for the giveaway that I am hoping to do very soon.  So stay tuned folks!  And thanks again for the encouragement.  Every positive comment makes me want to keep at it more and more.

Not to be a creep but  just noticed you are in Boston. Me also! Is there some local meetup that I could go to once in a while?

Offline whizzard

• LOOTKEYS BLOG
« Reply #36 on: Mon, 22 June 2015, 08:43:15 »

Not to be a creep but  just noticed you are in Boston. Me also! Is there some local meetup that I could go to once in a while?

Not that I know of, let me know if you find something!  I am not right in Boston, about 45 min from the city.

Also, I wanted to give everyone a quick update on my project.  I am sorry the giveaway is taking so long for me to get going..  I don't mean to be a tease!  I got my SLA 3D printer last week and I have been tinkering with it a lot in my spare time.  The good news is that it will be a great tool for me as an artist to make the keys even better. 

For the upcoming giveaway I am planning on doing Punishers, Abductors, and Cubes.  I was wondering if you guys would rather have one standard color scheme for the Punishers and Abductors or would you rather have a bunch of different colors.  I want everyone to get a key they will like, just not sure if I should keep them all looking the same or make a big variety.  For example a purple abductor head with green eyes and a black base?  A Punisher with a Blue face Orange eyes , ect.

I am planning on making around 15 keys for the giveaway.  If there is a higher demand, I am going to do something fun!  I have some geeky 20 sided dice and I will have you "roll" for your keys kinda like a MMO or something if there are too many requests for keys in the giveaway.  I will start an email just for the giveaway and allow people to enter for a day or two, because I want people to have a chance at a key even if they don't always have time to search the forums like some of us.

Let me know what you guys think about the colors being standard and the same or wide variety.

Offline catdogpaw

« Reply #37 on: Mon, 22 June 2015, 14:01:11 »

Not that I know of, let me know if you find something!  I am not right in Boston, about 45 min from the city.

Also, I wanted to give everyone a quick update on my project.  I am sorry the giveaway is taking so long for me to get going..  I don't mean to be a tease!  I got my SLA 3D printer last week and I have been tinkering with it a lot in my spare time.  The good news is that it will be a great tool for me as an artist to make the keys even better. 

For the upcoming giveaway I am planning on doing Punishers, Abductors, and Cubes.  I was wondering if you guys would rather have one standard color scheme for the Punishers and Abductors or would you rather have a bunch of different colors.  I want everyone to get a key they will like, just not sure if I should keep them all looking the same or make a big variety.  For example a purple abductor head with green eyes and a black base?  A Punisher with a Blue face Orange eyes , ect.

I am planning on making around 15 keys for the giveaway.  If there is a higher demand, I am going to do something fun!  I have some geeky 20 sided dice and I will have you "roll" for your keys kinda like a MMO or something if there are too many requests for keys in the giveaway.  I will start an email just for the giveaway and allow people to enter for a day or two, because I want people to have a chance at a key even if they don't always have time to search the forums like some of us.

Let me know what you guys think about the colors being standard and the same or wide variety.

As long as there are some red/green abductors!

It might be fun to mix and match, but perhaps only 2-3 types of each in order to make them unique, rather than a bunch of colors for the sake of simplicity?

Thanks for the update. Looking forward to trying my luck!

Offline whizzard

• LOOTKEYS BLOG
« Reply #38 on: Thu, 02 July 2015, 20:32:45 »
Hey guys... just providing an update.  I added Punisher to the official keys index at the top of the thread... the picture came out a little blurry so I will re-take it at some point.

Giveaway news:

The giveaway is right around the corner,  I only have a few more keys to produce to be completely ready for it.  I hope you will all be happy with what you get if your in on it.  All I ask is that for the free key shipped to you is that you give me some feedback and/or post pics on this thread of the key.  I have some unique ideas about how this will all work that should make it more fun to get these and collect them, even if they aren't on your everyday board.  And keep in mind this giveaway is a sort-of beta run for future keys and sales so lets hope it goes smoothly.  I also have a new 3D printer that will make things very interesting for this projects future!

Please keep an eye on this thread, the giveaway will probably be within the next 7-10 days!  Thanks everyone!

Offline retrochick

• goodbye my wallet
« Reply #39 on: Thu, 02 July 2015, 22:46:01 »
Just wanted to chime in and say that I whizzard's caps are awesome, esp. the ice cubes. Thanks for the reply by the way - it was really informative! I considered making my own, but you know, there's also the thing called time that I never seem to have enough of. Anyway, you should look into making some colored ice cubes - maybe an awesome trans blue or CMY set?! I'm totally into blanks right now. Keep up the good work!

Offline whizzard

• LOOTKEYS BLOG
Re: "Lootkeys" Artisan Keys - NEW: Giveaway Details!
« Reply #40 on: Sun, 05 July 2015, 06:06:53 »
**moved to top post**

« Last Edit: Sun, 05 July 2015, 20:56:05 by whizzard »

Offline nmur

• ಠ_ಠ
« Reply #41 on: Sun, 05 July 2015, 06:12:52 »
More
LOOTKEYS FIRST GIVEAWAY DETAILS

The giveaway is going to be a beta test for possible future key sales.  It should give me an idea for demand as well as the process of running a sale.  While not a requirement, I would really appreciate pictures of the keys or a fast review on this thread if you do get a free giveaway key. 

The keys are nearly completed and I am just waiting for a few packing materials, so my cost is lower and the presentation is nice.  I want it to be fun even just opening your loot, and add some little details that make it more interesting.  I also want these to be as fun to collect and trade as they are to put on a keyboard.  I am going to try a system that makes sales and giveaways more fair for those who don't get what they want, and rewards everyone for being involved! (more on this below)

HOW IT WILL WORK:

I will post in the subject of this thread when the giveaway is actually on.  An email address to send a message to as well as instructions just like most key sales will be provided.  If you mark this thread as watched/notify I will also make sure I post so that members can get notified of the new activity.  I will ask for your geekhack account name as well as your address.  I am footing the bill for shipping so I will not need paypal accounts this time around but will use paypal in the future when I do key sales.  If you are not located in the USA or Canada, I may need your paypal to cover the extra cost of shipping.  I will figure that part out by the start of the event.  I will put the email and instructions for entry in the top post of this thread here in "MST" when I begin the giveaway.

LETS MAKE IT INTERESTING:

I want everyone who may want a key to get a chance at winning.  Instead of having a countdown and cutoff, I am going to take all the entries for a few days and I will determine the winners by doing a roll off.  The roll off will be a dice roll for each eligible member of two twenty-sided dice.  If I only get a few entries, those few will still roll against each other.  40 being the highest score of course.

When the sale starts I will post a picture with the keys avaliable numbered in the photo.  In your message to me you will put the keycap number that you want the most, and I will do my best to give you that one.  The person with the highest roll in the giveaway will win both their preferred keycap as well as a one-per-sale and one of a kind golden keycap!  The worst roll will get a special "donkey" prize of the key they won as well as a unique strange keycap.  Each sale and giveaway I will include these exclusive keys.   

I will also include a message in the shipment of what you rolled for all winners.  This will add some fun and excitement to entering.  The higher you roll, the better chance you have of getting the key you choose.  But as usual, if the key you wanted was won by someone that rolled higher than you, you will get a similar or possibly completely different key.  I will do my best to determine what you may want most.  If you had bad luck, you will get a bonus on the next sale/giveaway.  The method for this will be clear after the giveaway.

The idea of the lottery was to give people a bit of more of a fair chance, and reminds me of rolling for "loot" in online games and lottery contests.  Just stuff I always think is fun.  I hope everyone who gets a key enjoys it, and sees the large amount of effort I put into getting the keycaps to where they are now... and I promise you they will even better.  I have a few extra tools that I didn't when I designed these that will make them even more unique.  Nevertheless, I am proud of the caps I have created thus far.  Plus they are totally free this time so be nice :)

Keep an eye out this week (hopefully), it only depends on when I get the packing materials I still need.  Then the giveaway will kick off.

Lastly I want to say thank you to all of the supporters of my little project.  I would not have gotten this far and had the motivation to do so without it.  Also thanks to the GH community and operators for giving us a place to enjoy this niche hobby.

GOOD LUCK :)

-whizzard

Can't wait!

Nice idea for the mechanics of the giveaway as well.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: Sun, 05 July 2015, 06:32:06 »
For some reason I haven't checked this thread for a while - I've missed a lot!  That highlighter orange Abductor is awesome.

As long as you stay hidden away in MST you should be fine with your selection method as many people don't come in here, but if you go outside you might find yourself rolling dice all day.  Just a friendly warning :))
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline whizzard

• LOOTKEYS BLOG
« Reply #43 on: Sun, 05 July 2015, 07:45:18 »
For some reason I haven't checked this thread for a while - I've missed a lot!  That highlighter orange Abductor is awesome.

As long as you stay hidden away in MST you should be fine with your selection method as many people don't come in here, but if you go outside you might find yourself rolling dice all day.  Just a friendly warning :))

Yeah, I was thinking that... I am thinking this giveaway will give me an idea of what I am getting myself into.  Right now the lottery seems like a lot of fun to me, lets hope it doesn't become a chore :) I just hope everyone who wins is happy with their keycap.

Offline cmadrid

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #44 on: Sun, 05 July 2015, 12:50:21 »

Yeah, I was thinking that... I am thinking this giveaway will give me an idea of what I am getting myself into.  Right now the lottery seems like a lot of fun to me, lets hope it doesn't become a chore :) I just hope everyone who wins is happy with their keycap.

Who doesn't like rolling a couple d20s around!  Sounds like a cool idea.

Offline whizzard

• LOOTKEYS BLOG
« Reply #45 on: Mon, 06 July 2015, 22:55:02 »
Good news,  tracking says I will have the last of the packing stuff I need for the giveaway so it will be sooner rather than later.  I still need to go over the new keys I made for the giveaway and clean them up and smooth them a bit more and thats it!  I am excited to get these out into the world and hope plenty of you want them :)

Other good news is I have gotten the 3D SLA printer I got working pretty well... just a few more small bugs to work out and I can start using zbrush to help model keys.  I am going to use both 3D and sculpting putty for future designs because I have gotten a bit attached to the physical sculpture.

More updates soon!

Offline RoastPotatoes

• * Maker
    • RoastPotatoes Keyboard Blog
« Reply #46 on: Mon, 06 July 2015, 23:06:35 »
New photos are looking incredible!

Offline whizzard

• LOOTKEYS BLOG
Re: "Lootkeys" Artisan Caps - FREE CAP Giveaway now LIVE!
« Reply #47 on: Fri, 10 July 2015, 11:35:11 »
"Alpha" Giveaway is now LIVE... see 1st post for entry and details... thanks!!

Offline nmur

• ಠ_ಠ
« Reply #48 on: Fri, 10 July 2015, 11:42:06 »
Email sent  :thumb:

Thanks for doing a giveaway!

Offline retrochick

• goodbye my wallet
« Reply #49 on: Fri, 10 July 2015, 11:59:39 »
Good stuff here! Good luck to everyone!  :thumb: