Author Topic: Who uses their mouse with their left hand?  (Read 52797 times)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: Who uses their mouse with their left hand?
« Reply #50 on: Sat, 13 October 2018, 18:10:54 »
Tp uses two mice... now if only they would make a split mouse.

Tp really does use 2 Mice..  sometimes 3 Mice..

not simultaneously, but there is always at least 2 mice connected

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #51 on: Sat, 13 October 2018, 18:13:15 »
Tp uses two mice... now if only they would make a split mouse.

Tp really does use 2 Mice..  sometimes 3 Mice..

not simultaneously, but there is always at least 2 mice connected

Two feet mice, one hand mouse.

Offline iri

« Reply #53 on: Sun, 28 October 2018, 09:02:01 »
I'm right handed and use the mouse with the left hand.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline CrankyAI

« Reply #54 on: Sun, 16 December 2018, 00:50:57 »
I switched to left-hand mousing many years ago, and definitely still prefer that layout (although with trackball now). I felt that the position was more ergonomic and faster, as it was significantly closer to home row position of my left hand (using full size keyboard with number keys on right). I have never switched the "mouse" button layout, left click is still on the left but performed with ring or little finger, right click always with thumb. Current trackball is Logitech Trackman Marble, I've used in for over 10 years. At its best, the action is very good but it is finicky (mostly due to buildup of varieties of finger grime). Requires regular maintenance, ball and the ball glides get gummed up (and never touch the thing with a sticky finger or response becomes awful). Also, the Marble has no scroll wheel. Looking for better trackball, but a little shocked by the comparative price of something like the CST2545-5W (L-Trac) which is about a hundred and ten dollars more than a Trackman Marble:
(https://www.amazon.com/CST2545-5W-Ambidextrous-Performance-Ergonomic-Trackball/dp/B00ICQ6BZW).
However, am still considering an upgrade. I'm curious about the Hand-Trak device, but can find no reviews. Probably way more than you wanted to know, and wandering somewhat off topic.
Filco Majestouch(V1) MX Brown;  IBM M13 PS2 buckling spring w/ Trackpoint II;  Lenovo ThinkPad Compact USB scissors w/ TrackPoint;  Siig Premium Aluminum USB scissors;  Logitech Illuminated K740 scissors;  Adesso Win-Touch Pro USB membrane with Glidepoint touchpad;  Adesso EasyTouch 730UB USB membrane with touchpad;  Adesso EasyTouch 730PB PS2 membrane with touchpad;  Logitech Trackman Marble, etc.

Offline JeremyLLawson

• Jeremy Lawson [dot] com
« Reply #55 on: Sun, 10 February 2019, 17:19:23 »
Ambidextrous person here.  MX-518 mouse on the right, vertical scroll wheel and back/forward browser buttons on the left. I find myself unconsciously using a combination a both left and right without even thinking about it.
Resistance is Futile

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #56 on: Mon, 11 February 2019, 10:15:49 »
I have tried using a mouse with my left hand, but due to that little bump on my middle finger there's no comfortable way to hold it. I only use my left hand for using a thumbstick or doing typing work which it has a huge difference if i type with once hand since my left hand is weaker.
So i am mainly right handed, so no.

Offline qq

• A daydreamer of possibilities
« Reply #57 on: Sun, 24 February 2019, 01:37:48 »
As a left-hander, I always feel awkward when using a mouse/trackball/trackpad with my left hand. It's become much stronger as mechkeys grow on me, I much prefer to rest my dominant hand on the keyboard for handling WASD or custom shortcut keys while holding mouse with the other.

Ironically, that makes me think right-handers are better to use mouse with their left hands.

Offline iri

« Reply #58 on: Sun, 24 February 2019, 04:47:31 »
Ironically, that makes me think right-handers are better to use mouse with their left hands.
I am one of those right-handers.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline _GMK_

• not affiliated with GMK
« Reply #59 on: Sun, 24 February 2019, 05:27:19 »
The most used keyboard setup, that involves a keyboard with a numpad on the right, and the mouse on the right, is an inside job made by a left handed engineer working at IBM. He wanted to have a space on the left to scribbe and make calulations, while at the same time being able to input them in his spreadsheet with his right hand and mouse. So every time you use your keyboard, you should think that you've been living a lie. This setup is not made for you.

You keep saying you got a nice setup,
Something you call endgame but it's all a setup,
you've been keeping your mouse where you shouldn't 've been keeping,
And now someone lefthanded is getting all your bingadinging.

Offline xtrc

« Reply #60 on: Sun, 24 February 2019, 09:04:11 »
I'm left handed and use my mouse right handed. I'm thinking about changing that around to see if it would hold any benefits for me (since it's my stronger hand) I should theoretically be able to mouse better with it (in games for example) as opposed to my right hand. 

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #61 on: Sun, 24 February 2019, 10:02:44 »
What's really weird is although when I mouse with my right hand I can't rest my middle finger on the scroll wheel, it feels natural to do so when I mouse with my non-dominant left hand.

Offline Nerd

• Nerd (Aka Alex) Aka Garbage. Sister: @sintpinty
    • My Youtube channel!
« Reply #62 on: Mon, 25 March 2019, 10:28:23 »
I use my mouse with my left hand and right hand. If my right hands having a cramp, i use my left one. My mouse is a dell WM16, and its older then i am. The trackpad is quite bad, and at this current moment, i'm saving up to buy one.
"The world's nerdiest nerd that loves Youtube."

Consider subscribing to my channel, TanookiAlex. That would be greatly appreciated, thank you! Link is: Youtube.com/c/tanookialex.

*  Subscriber Goal - 735/1000 *

Offline jeaneallenn

« Reply #63 on: Sat, 06 April 2019, 10:41:42 »
What PieterGen said I can pretty much echo. Started using a regular mouse with my left hand (with no switching of the button configuration) about ten years ago, just to avoid the strain of using a mouse with one hand only. The funny thing is, now I prefer using my left hand, and it’s almost a chore to remember to switch it to the right side from time to time. However, switching is important to try to avoid imbalances.

The real revelation for me was when I got my Logitech T650 Touchpad almost two years ago. No more having to grip and move a mouse. No more clicking noises. Just sliding my fingers on a smooth surface, sometimes tapping or using multi-finger gestures. Probably would not work for a gamer. But since that’s not my cup of tea, I just can’t see myself going back to using a regular mouse, unless I absolutely have to.

Same here bro.

Offline _GMK_

• not affiliated with GMK
« Reply #64 on: Sun, 07 April 2019, 07:15:25 »
I'm left handed. The mouse on the right configuration is optimal for left handed because you can write and keep notes on the left of your keyboard. If you're right handed, you should keep your mouse on the left.

The perfect configuration for left handed is probably mouse on the right and numpad on the left.
« Last Edit: Sun, 07 April 2019, 07:20:15 by _GMK_ »

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #65 on: Sun, 07 April 2019, 07:18:21 »
Thanks Dad.

Offline RSanders

• DataHand Pro II > Maltron > Kinesis > Flat Boards
    • LinkedIn Profile
« Reply #66 on: Fri, 13 September 2019, 10:16:47 »
While I primarily use the right hand for pointing control, I tend to use my left hand in conjunction with the right for clicking, purely out of comfort, particularly when having to do a lot of work involving the pointing device. This is accomplished by using the integrated trackball on the Maltron or the built in mouse emulation on the DataHand. Cursor movement is controlled by the right hand on the track ball and the button clicks are handled by the left hand.  I find splitting the load, as it were, helps to significantly cut down on strain to the hand that is manipulating the track ball. As ergonomics tends to be subjective, find what works best for you and don't worry too much about what hand is doing what regarding the pointing device.
« Last Edit: Mon, 16 September 2019, 16:58:23 by RSanders »

Offline saint_james

« Reply #67 on: Sun, 06 October 2019, 20:46:57 »
I'm left handed. The mouse on the right configuration is optimal for left handed because you can write and keep notes on the left of your keyboard. If you're right handed, you should keep your mouse on the left.

The perfect configuration for left handed is probably mouse on the right and numpad on the left.

Hmm.  I'm right handed and can use the mouse on either the left or the right side of my keyboard. Quite frequently (perhaps majority of the time) I use the mouse on the left of my keyboard.  The reason I started doing this is because I want the alpha zone centered on my body, and the numpad and arrow cluster on full size keyboards were intruding into the mousing space on the right side.  I also wanted to keep a notepad handy on the right side, so it just made sense to start using the mouse with my left hand.  I don't think I agonized or overthought this.  Moreover, I switch mousing sides periodically just to stay in practice... or sometimes out of boredom. 

I do not remap mouse buttons when switching.  Seems like a bother.  When mousing lefty, button 1 is actuated by my ring or middle finger (depending on if I need to use mousewheel).

I'm also not "extremely" right handed.  I'm a righty for writing, softball, bowling, MMA and competitive handgun sports... but I'm ambidextrous for lots of other things (mousing, tenkey, competitive rifle and shotgun sports).  It seems I never felt constrained by "handedness"...
C = Q/V ≈ ε₀ (A/d)
Active: FC980C | FC660C Low-noise | RF 87u 55g | RF 23u
Inactive: WASD v2 | Pok3r | QFR | Aukey KM-G9 | Compaq RT101
Dead and buried: Microsoft Natural Keyboard Elite

Offline bukti

« Reply #68 on: Sun, 01 December 2019, 21:35:17 »
Software developer for 12 years, and got RSI 9 years ago in my right arm & hand.

So I'm currently:
- Left handed at work with a Death Adder
- Right handed at home for gaming (even it out)

I always use split keyboards, that are ideally tented & TKL.

People bag out Razer but this has been going for quite a few years now without issue.

I'd recommend doing it. It's not that expensive to trial out.

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #69 on: Tue, 03 December 2019, 07:40:13 »
Software developer for 12 years, and got RSI 9 years ago in my right arm & hand.

So I'm currently:
- Left handed at work with a Death Adder
- Right handed at home for gaming (even it out)

I always use split keyboards, that are ideally tented & TKL.

People bag out Razer but this has been going for quite a few years now without issue.

I'd recommend doing it. It's not that expensive to trial out.

Hope your DeathAdder is going strong

Offline NewbieOneKenobi

« Reply #70 on: Wed, 11 December 2019, 04:01:10 »
I'm viable, if I have to be, but it's not my preference. Probably wouldn't be too great with competitive RTS.

Offline ryahirv

« Reply #71 on: Tue, 17 December 2019, 12:40:31 »
Along the lines of this topic - do any of you have some great ambidextrous mouse recommendations?

Thank you in advance

Offline hactar

« Reply #72 on: Mon, 20 January 2020, 14:40:31 »
Nowadays, my desktop setup usually looks along the lines of this (except the keyboard is different and I switch to a better right-handed mouse, whenever moving the trackball to the left).

All right, what is that glorious keyboard?
Code: [Select]
  pfmlj
qbyurso
kcdtheaz
xgvwni