Author Topic: Advice for first mech. keyboard  (Read 6194 times)

Offline AllNight

Advice for first mech. keyboard
« on: Sat, 19 March 2011, 11:37:08 »
Dear forum,

After lurking for a while on this board I decided to register and participate.
I typed on an old model M at a friend's place (he didn't even know that it was such a famous and good keyboard) and I loved the mechanical feel. Now I decided that I want to invest in a mechanical keyboard after punishing myself with scissor switches and rubber domes for 17 years.
Ofcourse I did some research and I hope you guys can help me with my first buy.

I'm a student on the university and type alot of essays and papers on my pc. The keyboard and the HDD are the last low-end pieces in my mid to high end PC. I also play games when I have time and at the moment alot of Starcraft 2. Those are the primary uses of the keyboard. Now I did some research and it seems that the Cherry MX Brown switches are the best hybrid for gaming and typing, and alot of RTS players seem to recommend them.

I live in Holland and i can get a Filco Majestouch for 150 euro in Belgium (live close to the border).
I can also get a Zowie Celeritas for 110 euro.
I think I can also get a Razer blackwidow or a Steelseries 6gv2 somewhere but ofcourse they have other switch types.

Now I'm wondering what would be the best choice for me and maybe someone has another option for me. I prefer not importing and prefer to buy from a web-shop close to my city but if things are legit, importing is an option. Does anyone have advice for me?

Thanks in advance!

Offline Shuki

« Reply #1 on: Sat, 19 March 2011, 12:29:59 »
I think Cherry brown or cherry red switches would probably be the best choices. Both are ~45g however the cherry brown has a tactile bump (which is quite subtle) at the actuation point whereas the cherry red does not. The cherry red provides an analogue feel which progressively increases in resistance as you get closer to bottoming out.

You can't really go wrong with either to be honest, both are nice to type and game on.

Offline AllNight

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 19 March 2011, 16:23:44 »
Thanks for the reply!
Basically I was wondering what brand to get, whether the price premium for the filco is worth it and whether someone perhaps knows another store where to get one for cheaper.

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 19 March 2011, 16:28:50 »
Check out the 'ready to buy?' link in my sig.

Welcome to GeekHack!

Offline noodles256

• le legendary
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 19 March 2011, 16:31:39 »
^^^
AF | Ducky YOTD |

Offline NumberJ

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 19 March 2011, 16:32:13 »
As far as I've heard the Zowie is a great keyboard; of course Filcos are a big name too. You can't go wrong with either though, and I'll give yet another recommendation for browns as the best typing/gaming hybrid switch.

Offline AllNight

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 19 March 2011, 16:38:46 »
Thanks for your link and for the warm welcome.
I already checked that link in my research. For example, shipping from elitekeyboards to my country costs like 40 dollars or something. Shipping from keyboardco would be acceptable.

Offline strum4h

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 19 March 2011, 16:49:40 »
I got a filco majestouch tenkeyless with browns and I love it. I really want a board with blues though.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Filco Tenkeyless with Browns  - SIIG minitouch GHSS

Offline pitashen

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 19 March 2011, 23:33:46 »
Filco on amazon
Leopold on EK

you should be happy with either one.
\\\\ DSI Mac Modular Keyboard (Brown) w/ Leo  Blank Keycaps //
\\\\ Leopold 87keys Keyboard (Brown) w/ Black CherryCorp + SP DoubleShots //
\\\\ Filco Majestouch 2 NINJA (Black) w/ White CherryCorp + SP DoublsShots //

Offline AllNight

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 21 March 2011, 07:12:45 »
Is the filco's price premium worth it?

Offline RiGS

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 21 March 2011, 07:50:39 »
Probably not. I don't think there's anything better in the Filco. Get the Zowie instead..
Last edited by RiGS; Jan 2011

Offline Ascaii

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 21 March 2011, 08:23:33 »
Check out the KBC Poker buy over at deskthority.
Alternatively, troll ebay for a Model M or Cherry g80 board, those pop up decently often.
"Mechanical keyboards are like pokemon:
you start with one, and then you wanna catch em all."

Offline AllNight

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 23 March 2011, 17:11:46 »
small bump

Offline RiGS

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 23 March 2011, 17:15:36 »
You should have bought the Zowie by now.
Last edited by RiGS; Jan 2011

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 23 March 2011, 17:51:52 »
Ask Webwit over at Deskthority.net. He's Dutch as well :D

Offline Chobopants

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 23 March 2011, 23:01:53 »
Quote from: Ascaii;315188
Check out the KBC Poker buy over at deskthority.
Alternatively, troll ebay for a Model M or Cherry g80 board, those pop up decently often.

As a gamer I'd just want to say that a full size Filco/Other is probably your best option. Next to that a tenkeyless version. Something like a Poker is not workable for games and even for some heavy use situations. As a programmer/gamer I use the F keys and Home/End/Page Up/Down keys a LOT and anything less than a tenkeyless just absolutely would not work for me.
Realforce 87UW 45g - Filco Blue 87 - Filco Linear R - Filco Brown 104

Offline pietro

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 24 March 2011, 00:03:53 »
If you loved the model M, why not get one of those?

Offline AllNight

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 24 March 2011, 03:41:09 »
Quote from: Chobopants;317383
As a gamer I'd just want to say that a full size Filco/Other is probably your best option. Next to that a tenkeyless version. Something like a Poker is not workable for games and even for some heavy use situations. As a programmer/gamer I use the F keys and Home/End/Page Up/Down keys a LOT and anything less than a tenkeyless just absolutely would not work for me.

I was thinking about the same actually when investigating that offer. I could initially live without the F-keys but might miss them after a while.

I liked the model M but it seemed a little stiff, required more pressure to push the keys, I couldnt imagine me micro'ing on that although typing seemed to be pretty nice. That's why I researched it a little online and decided probably browns are the best option. Will try to contact the guy on deskthority.net

Thanks for the replies everyone and more thoughts about this subject are much appreciated, especially because the filco i wanted to order is out of stock, and there's more time for decisions.

Offline Chobopants

« Reply #18 on: Thu, 24 March 2011, 03:46:54 »
Yeah man, I'm typing to you right now after getting out of a good SC2 match on my Filco Brown. You absolutely will fall in love with them for games.
Realforce 87UW 45g - Filco Blue 87 - Filco Linear R - Filco Brown 104

Offline AllNight

« Reply #19 on: Thu, 24 March 2011, 03:51:55 »
Yeah I figured that switch is best for my needs. Still, don't know what brand and keyboard to choose. They are so rare, only a few options. And there's also the prices and availability.
I sent a few Dutch people on deskthority a PM to ask for some advice.

Chobopants, thanks for your sharing your thoughts and help, much appreciated.

Offline javifast

« Reply #20 on: Thu, 24 March 2011, 04:57:05 »
If the model M was pleasant for you. Try to buy one. After that...try a cherry switch...and after that....and after that.. :D
Too many keyboards....

Offline AllNight

« Reply #21 on: Thu, 24 March 2011, 05:28:21 »
Quote from: javifast;317520
If the model M was pleasant for you. Try to buy one. After that...try a cherry switch...and after that....and after that.. :D

I liked the keyboard for typing but couldn't imagine myself microing on it.

Offline Tony

« Reply #22 on: Fri, 25 March 2011, 00:48:31 »
Don't worry, you will end up buying all of these available keyboards anyway, so any keyboard you listed is ok for your first one.

If I were you, I'd get the Filco.
Keyboard: Filco MJ1 104 brown, Filco MJ2 87 brown, Compaq MX11800, Noppoo Choc Brown/Blue/Red, IBM Model M 1996, CMStorm Quickfire Rapid Black
Layout: Colemak experience, speed of 67wpm

Offline AllNight

« Reply #23 on: Sun, 27 March 2011, 12:43:50 »
Hmm, hunting a Model M now, think I'm hooked with the keyboard virus?

(may get a Filco later, it's out of stock now at the webshop where I was going to buy)

Offline Culinia

« Reply #24 on: Sun, 27 March 2011, 12:57:54 »
Quote from: AllNight;319619
Hmm, hunting a Model M now, think I'm hooked with the keyboard virus?

(may get a Filco later, it's out of stock now at the webshop where I was going to buy)

Hey if you really wanted that Filco then why not import it from the UK (keyboardco) -- no import duties for fellow EU members AFAIK..

Model M sounds good though, I think I will get a Unicomp one day/next keyboard purchase. Ya the virus is contagious I know ;)
« Last Edit: Sun, 27 March 2011, 12:59:55 by Culinia »

Offline AllNight

« Reply #25 on: Sun, 27 March 2011, 15:02:59 »
Oh really, no import duties. Seems like the situation's changed then.

Offline AllNight

« Reply #26 on: Fri, 01 April 2011, 13:07:00 »
So received my model M. First impression is good. Typing is really good and the sound is lovely. Have to get used to the upward angle of the keyboard though. Will report here later how it works for starcraft. I think it's a good starting point to get used to mechanical boards and maybe based on my experiences with the model M maybe in the future some of the experts here can recommend me another board.

Offline Culinia

« Reply #27 on: Fri, 01 April 2011, 17:41:34 »
Quote from: AllNight;319676
Oh really, no import duties. Seems like the situation's changed then.

Ya well I don't know about Holland (that's where you're from right?) but here is some information from IR:

Customs Duty

Customs duty is a tax charged on importation of goods produced outside the European Union (EU). You won't have to pay Customs Duty if you're travelling from the EU, or buying, ordering or sending goods to the UK from the EU for your own use. For a list of countries in the EU, see the guide under 'More useful links'.

I'm assuming here it is European Union-wide.

Enjoy your Model M! Post a pic if you can so we can see your set-up :D

Offline Variable

« Reply #28 on: Fri, 01 April 2011, 19:39:38 »
Quote from: Chobopants;317502
Yeah man, I'm typing to you right now after getting out of a good SC2 match on my Filco Brown. You absolutely will fall in love with them for games.

blues are the only way to play sc2!

:D

I think I'll end up with a brown board eventually, at least to try, though I'm still waiting for my blue tenkeyless leo from EK

wish I knew some other keyboard people irl so I could actually try these things out... geekhack wiki is GREAT but nothing beats actually using something. stuck with blues cause I know I love em

Offline AllNight

« Reply #29 on: Sat, 02 April 2011, 06:45:56 »
Will post pictures later of the model M sitting nicely on my desk. Not at home atm.
Love typing on it and the sound is amazing.

Offline AllNight

« Reply #30 on: Sun, 03 April 2011, 15:23:14 »
Here's the pic. My winning team atm.

Razer Mantis control
MX518
And the new Model M 1396790