Author Topic: Are you buying an EK Leo? Discussion...  (Read 19862 times)

Offline Engine

Are you buying an EK Leo? Discussion...
« Reply #50 on: Thu, 24 March 2011, 22:05:47 »
Quote from: muchadoaboutnothing;318132
We're getting this info from where exactly? I'm curious because I only preordered recently.

http://www.elitekeyboards.com/index.php?sub=news&id=19
(For some reason, I can't get this link to turn "HOT".  Just copy/paste into your browser search window.)

Sorry, I didn't mean to alarm anyone.  Just read the above news update from the Leopold page on EK.  I was only wondering about things, not sure.
Read the News Update and decide for yourself.  For one thing, the $99 price tag IS introductory to answer an earlier post in this forum.  Also, he mentions "first come first serve" for "this batch".  But he also mentions some possible additions to the Leo series, like full size keyboards, more switches, etc but not for "8 weeks out".
Me personally, I wasn't whining but just wondering period.

Oh, and by the way, I emailed EK about "us" getting an updated news letter to let us know how the kb shipping is going, especially if there's a delay?  
His reply:
Everything is on schedule. We plan to start shipping pre-ordered
products before the end of the month, as planned and promised. If any
delays are discovered ahead of time, we will send a special e-mail to
all customers with a pending pre-order, but I wouldn't justify one
product being delayed by a week as global "newsletter" worthy material.
We are working on an ATOM feed feature to our website, but I don't have
a date on the launch yet.

Thanks for your support!

Best Regards,
Brian
http://elitekeyboards.com

The month is almost over and haven't heard anything negitive, so must be ok.  Plus, I'm not so sure that enough people pre-orderd to make it necessary to hit a second batch of pre-orders.
« Last Edit: Thu, 24 March 2011, 22:33:58 by Engine »
In order of purchase:
Unicomp Space Saver(Black) - Topre Realforce 103U-UW -   Topre Realforce 103UB - Leopold Tenkeyless MX Blue - Leopold Tenkeyless MX Brown - Filco Majestouch 2 MX Blue - Filco Majestouch 2 MX Brown

Offline Variable

« Reply #51 on: Thu, 24 March 2011, 23:54:31 »
I hope not! I don't blame EK at all for whatever goes down, I'm new to this, but I really want my tenkeyless

Offline jomiyo

« Reply #52 on: Sat, 26 March 2011, 06:25:35 »
Quote from: neo;314755
Why practically all keyboards nowadays need to have "disco-balls and lasers"?

Well, amongst tons of other things (cars, clothes, etc.), it's similar with computer towers for example. You pretty much have to decide whether you want it to look like a computer tower or an alien's refridgerator. I used to be a bit obsessed with the wank of the latter, but now I love my plain Lian Li. Although, admittedly, if I were filthy rich and had the time, I'd probably go all-out on a thoroughly modded $5k+ gaming monster system just because.

On 'boards, it's the same with hype/needs. E.g. backlights when gaming in the dark a lot, extra media/macro keys and screens for their obvious uses, and generally when one couldn't care less about space-saving and of course personal definitions of 'cool'.
« Last Edit: Sat, 26 March 2011, 07:42:10 by jomiyo »

Offline jomiyo

« Reply #53 on: Sat, 26 March 2011, 10:26:09 »
lol, agreed.

Offline asfogh

« Reply #54 on: Sat, 26 March 2011, 11:00:58 »
I would be all over a Leo if I didn't already have a filco tenkeyless otaku. replaceable cable, cable track = awesome. my only complaint is the LEDs and the bubbled windowed key but those are probably replaceable. all for ~60$ less than I paid. maybe I'll sell this and get a new one :-)

Offline Surly73

« Reply #55 on: Sat, 26 March 2011, 12:13:03 »
I know that would certainly appreciate the removable cable on the Leo compared to my Filco.  At home I have a desktop USB hub 6" from my keyboard/mouse area which I connect to.  It would be nice to order a 1' USB cable for the keyboard instead of tying up a ball of cabling in a fancy Filco velcro strap.

Offline duckyduck

« Reply #56 on: Tue, 29 March 2011, 10:07:26 »
2 more days! I'm excited :)

Offline Variable

« Reply #57 on: Tue, 29 March 2011, 15:30:07 »
Quote from: harrison;318931
the features and wank are for the people who feel the need to flaunt.  it's not function, it's barely a feature.  but then, we're talking on a mechanical keyboard forum.  function function function.

different people have different aesthetic preferences. doesn't mean they need to flaunt, perhaps they just like the look.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #58 on: Tue, 29 March 2011, 15:36:00 »
Quote from: Variable;320899
different people have different aesthetic preferences. doesn't mean they need to flaunt, perhaps they just like the look.

Agreed.  I fall into this group.  I buy the nicest looking thing that has the features and function I want.  It has to have both function and aesthetics, though.

It's like women.  If she has a great personality but is dog-ugly, then she's just a friend.  If she's hot but is a real *****, then she's just a ****-buddy.  GF or wife has to have both.

Offline jomiyo

« Reply #59 on: Sat, 02 April 2011, 10:06:06 »
Just got mine. Everything is in perfect working order and I absolutely love it. Will be getting another with Blues soon!
« Last Edit: Sat, 02 April 2011, 10:57:22 by jomiyo »

Offline jomiyo

« Reply #60 on: Sat, 02 April 2011, 10:54:40 »
Can't help, but surely others will. Obviously can't do a proper review because of that and the fact that I'm a lowly newb.

However, the only 'negative' I can find is with the key alignment. The right shift, alt, and windows are each a bit off, and there are a few lesser, hardly noticeable ones elsewhere. Although none of it is a bother to me and it's not as bad as other instances I've seen posted.

Anyway, yeah, I'm well chuffed :biggrin:
« Last Edit: Sat, 02 April 2011, 14:43:00 by jomiyo »

Offline EZjiji

« Reply #61 on: Sat, 02 April 2011, 11:22:38 »
OMG, this mechanical keyboard feels so different than my rubber dome. The not bottoming out is really cool, but I love the sound of it bottoming out though <3.

I don't really know how to give a review since I don't really have much to compare with. The keys feel really smooth, a really small bump from the lettering. The LED lights are good brightness. One minor annoying I have is that the spring on the spacebar echos a little bit when you hit it a little harder.

Oh, and about the rounded edges, unless you have a Filco right next to it, you can't really notice it.

The sound, I've adapted pretty well to not bottoming out so the sound isn't so bad, but when I play some starcraft or stepmania, I can see why some people are really bothered by the sound. It's acutally quite loud despite being a brown not a blue.

You get no Leopold sticker either. I was a little sad about that too.

I only have a camera phone so I won't be able to take photos. No scale on me either. :o
« Last Edit: Sat, 02 April 2011, 13:26:45 by EZjiji »

Offline jomiyo

« Reply #62 on: Sat, 02 April 2011, 14:41:50 »
Quote from: EZjiji;323326
OMG, this mechanical keyboard feels so different than my rubber dome. The not bottoming out is really cool, but I love the sound of it bottoming out though <3.

Heh, same.

Quote from: EZjiji;323326
You get no Leopold sticker either. I was a little sad about that too.

Hmm, just realised that. Ah well, I wasn't gonna use it anyway, as it would've just been added to my pile of other unused stickers. For the collection's sake, tho, I'll make sure to get one next time.
« Last Edit: Sat, 02 April 2011, 15:02:34 by jomiyo »

Offline mooremanifestation

« Reply #63 on: Sat, 02 April 2011, 15:08:31 »
My digital kitchen scale says 917g, without the cable or clear plastic cover.  It's a lettered Leopold w/browns, if that matters.

Quote from: ripster;323287
Congrats!!!

If anybody gets a chance I'd like for the Wiki:

- Picture of keys (focus as close as you can and crop to 640x480)
- Weigh it
Realforce 103U
Unicomp SpaceSaver
Cherry G80-8113HRBUS-2 (clears)
Northgate Omnikey/102

Offline EZjiji

« Reply #64 on: Sat, 02 April 2011, 15:12:37 »
917g? That can't be right. This keyboard is heavy as hell. Fedex labeled the package as twice that value, 1.8kg

Offline pm_

« Reply #65 on: Sat, 02 April 2011, 15:52:40 »
Finally got my browns a few hours ago. Some initial thoughts:

Negatives:
1. The rubber feet do not work well at all when you are using the legs.  I'm not a heavy typer, nor do I really push on the keyboard in any way, so it's not an issue for me, but might be to some.  If you don't use the legs, the keyboard adheres to the desk pretty well.

2.  The spacebar sounds clicky, a little similar to a blue switch, if I depress it right of center.  If I depress it left of center, the clickiness isn't there and it sounds fine. I think something must be loose/faulty/not attached properly.  It's annoying and I hope it's not too difficult to fix.

Positives:
Feels and sounds MUCH better than the Cherry G80-8113 with browns I was using for the last few weeks. I attribute this to the following:
* Plate mount and smaller, better made housing.  Together, keystorkes feel sturdier, and sound better; echo in the housing is substantially reduced
* Better key caps.  I haven't used a lot of different keycaps, but the fingertips grip the key caps well and don't slip

Misc:
Make sure to push the USB cable into the keyboard all the way. It requires a little bit of a push to get it in.

Overall:
Great keyboard so far and worth it, provided I can resolve this clicky spacebar issue.  

Question: Are there any tricks to removing the spacebar on these keyboards?

Offline RiGS

« Reply #66 on: Sat, 02 April 2011, 17:45:09 »
The spacebar sounds clicky, a little similar to a blue switch, if I depress it right of center. If I depress it left of center, the clickiness isn't there and it sounds fine. I think something must be loose/faulty/not attached properly. It's annoying and I hope it's not too difficult to fix.

That's the reason why I hate the cherry style stablizers.
Last edited by RiGS; Jan 2011

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
« Reply #67 on: Sat, 02 April 2011, 18:17:07 »
Never had that issue with mine...

Offline MrSneis

« Reply #68 on: Sat, 02 April 2011, 18:22:14 »
That's funny one of my major likes about Filco is the extra rubber on the fold out feet, I recall reading somewhere that the rubber is not necessary on the Leo because it's more stable overall.  Looks like it's still a good thing to have!
Filco Tenkeyless Brown | Filco Tenkeyless-2 Blue | Leopold Tenkeyless Blue

Offline Surly73

« Reply #69 on: Sat, 02 April 2011, 18:47:55 »
Quote from: MrSneis;323526
That's funny one of my major likes about Filco is the extra rubber on the fold out feet, I recall reading somewhere that the rubber is not necessary on the Leo because it's more stable overall.  Looks like it's still a good thing to have!

My home office desk has glass on top and my Filco is stuck like glue - love it.

Offline Lophostrix

« Reply #70 on: Sat, 02 April 2011, 20:45:38 »
My spacebar is a little noisier on the right side than the left, but certainly no noisier than bottoming out a key.

I see what you mean about the keyboard sliding. It's definitely more stable with the feet up than down. It doesn't move while I type though, and I'm always repositioning my keyboard anyway.

Offline EZjiji

« Reply #71 on: Sat, 02 April 2011, 21:23:31 »
I don't think you can really hear the spacebar squeek anyway when your actually typing and not spamming the spacebar.

Offline EZjiji

« Reply #72 on: Sat, 02 April 2011, 23:13:38 »
o.o How hard do you hit your spacebar? I don't even know what a mouse sounds like, but I can't even think about how a echo-like spring sound would sound like a mouse.

Offline godofdeath

« Reply #73 on: Sun, 03 April 2011, 00:42:08 »
not until they got full sized

Offline MrSneis

« Reply #74 on: Sun, 03 April 2011, 01:09:20 »
So I'm hearing some of the larger keys are noiser and the board likes to move around... anything else?
Filco Tenkeyless Brown | Filco Tenkeyless-2 Blue | Leopold Tenkeyless Blue

Offline Chobopants

« Reply #75 on: Sun, 03 April 2011, 01:15:40 »
Quote from: kalrykh;323569
i can hear my backspace. i thought there was a damn mouse or something in the room. so i'd stop typing, and look around and it would get quiet.  took me a few minutes to realize it was only happening when i hit my backspace key :P whatever the case, i just voided the hell out of my warranty trying to get this thing open. i've renamed it "donor."

Hmm, sounds similar to the insert/0 key on my numpad on my filco brown when I first got it. That key is Jump for me in FPS games (I mouse left handed). The part of the key that was rubbing around wore in or something along those lines so now no more squeaking. Wondering if the same will happen for you.
Realforce 87UW 45g - Filco Blue 87 - Filco Linear R - Filco Brown 104

Offline Lophostrix

« Reply #76 on: Sun, 03 April 2011, 01:40:03 »
Quote from: MrSneis;323603
So I'm hearing some of the larger keys are noiser and the board likes to move around... anything else?

Arg, I had a big list of things typed, and it all went away when I accidentally refreshed :( :(. So short version:

- Large keys aren't that loud. You can hear the stabilizers in certain spots but the noise just gets lost in the background when you are typing fast.

- The keyboard does slide fairly easily when the risers, but only if you push it. It hasn't moved at all on me while just typing. I actually like that I can move it around without too much trouble.

- The lettering is very clear. (I did exchange my Otaku that was wrongly sent for the lettered version. I'm glad I did.) It's the type where you can feel the letters with your fingers if you try, but you really have to feel for it. Hopefully it doesn't wear off.

Ok, those are the downsides. Don't let it get to you. Overall the keyboard is great. The rounded bevel looks much better in person than it does in pictures, as do the windowed caps lock / scroll lock keys. The blue LEDs are pretty bright but not blindingly so. The detachable USB cable is great. There are three channels so it can come out the back either to the left, right, or straight back. The rubber feet are solid and the lifter things make a nice clicking sound when you move them.

But the most important part: it feels great to type on. Maybe I'm just used to rubber domes (this is my first mechanical keyboard). I don't think you can beat it for the price.

Offline Lophostrix

« Reply #77 on: Sun, 03 April 2011, 16:19:59 »
Quote from: kalrykh;323803
There is actually a space between "back space" on the backspace key, where as there is no space between S and L in capslock :P

I noticed that too. When I saw that I said outloud hmm...maybe they should have used backspace between back and space.

Offline wideyes

« Reply #78 on: Mon, 04 April 2011, 12:45:56 »
I would second the notion that the Leopold looks better in person. It's hard for me personally to imagine anyone faulting the look (it's no-frills), but then this is geekhack, Home of the Picky. The lack of logo and the no-wasted-space ethic of the board give it a simple elegance. The Leopold Otakus are probably some of the stealthiest boards around.

Offline Chobopants

« Reply #79 on: Mon, 04 April 2011, 13:00:30 »
Live-Foruming (lol?) my impressions of the Leopold Blue in this thread today:
http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?p=324365
Realforce 87UW 45g - Filco Blue 87 - Filco Linear R - Filco Brown 104

Offline wideyes

« Reply #80 on: Mon, 04 April 2011, 13:26:06 »
Quote from: ripster;324393
I've come to the conclusion that Leopold users don't have cameras.

Hah! I do, and I was planning on posting some pics. Unfortunately, I'm an amateurish photographer, so it might take me a little while to get some that really highlight the attractiveness of the board.

We can't all be gods of the forum jpg like Ripster :hail:

Offline meeekus

« Reply #81 on: Mon, 04 April 2011, 17:18:29 »
Once my lettered browns arrive I'll take some photos in the lightbox at work.

Also, first time poster.

Offline reaper

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #82 on: Mon, 04 April 2011, 17:22:08 »
^ welcome to Geekhack and let see those pics. =D
Att fly är livet, att dröja, döden.
Din Eli

Offline omf

« Reply #83 on: Mon, 04 April 2011, 17:22:25 »
I received a Leo from EK on Saturday and have a camera... any special requests?

Also - I'm thinking of returning it, as switching between it and the Topre I bought a couple of months ago may be too jarring...  :\

Second time poster...

Offline meeekus

« Reply #84 on: Mon, 04 April 2011, 17:30:04 »
Quote from: reaper~;324536
^ welcome to Geekhack and let see those pics. =D

Sadly nothing shows up yet on my fedex tracking. Could be 1-2 days more. Order #547x

Offline reaper

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #85 on: Mon, 04 April 2011, 17:32:30 »
Quote from: omf;324537
I received a Leo from EK on Saturday and have a camera... any special requests?

Also - I'm thinking of returning it, as switching between it and the Topre I bought a couple of months ago may be too jarring...  :\

Second time poster...

Welcome aboard and I think ripster wants it in 640 x 480 in this format below (borrowed from toast) so he could add it to wiki, if he hasn't done it already:

^ this pic is good but kinda dark so bright, natural light would be best. =)

Quote from: meeekus;324543
Sadly nothing shows up yet on my fedex tracking. Could be 1-2 days more. Order #547x

We can wait a few more days. =P
Din Eli

Offline reaper

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #86 on: Mon, 04 April 2011, 17:54:38 »
Quote from: ripster;324552
Hey, that'll work!  Thanks!

Don't thank me...  thank toast.  It's from his thread. =P
Din Eli

Offline spolia optima

« Reply #87 on: Mon, 04 April 2011, 18:07:26 »
I'm buying a 10keyless Leo w/browns as soon as I have an extra hundred bucks. Can't wait. and I really hope EK decides to stock sets of PBT or POM keycaps.
keyboards!

Offline digitalleftovers

« Reply #88 on: Mon, 04 April 2011, 18:15:23 »
Quote from: spolia optima;324578
I'm buying a 10keyless Leo w/browns as soon as I have an extra hundred bucks. Can't wait. and I really hope EK decides to stock sets of PBT or POM keycaps.

I'm surprised that EK hasn't jumped on the custom cap (full sets) market. I realize that it is just begining in the states, but it seems like it will take off eventually, even if the mechanical board market doesn't grow much beyond what it is now.  From a business support perspective, though, if I were a small company, I may shy away from having to deal with inquiries like "I accidently pulled out one of my stems! Now what...?"

I hope EK is able to offer at least some basic choices in the future.
Keyboards:
Filco 104 MX Brown (Otaku) - FKBN104M/NPEK 黒い空
Ducky TKL MX Brown/Blue 80% (White) - 1087-F 白の空
KBC Poker MX Red with PBT Key Caps - PFCN6000

"Consumers use touch screens.  Producers use keyboards."

Offline spolia optima

« Reply #89 on: Mon, 04 April 2011, 18:25:49 »
Quote from: digitalleftovers;324582
I'm surprised that EK hasn't jumped on the custom cap (full sets) market. I realize that it is just begining in the states, but it seems like it will take off eventually, even if the mechanical board market doesn't grow much beyond what it is now. From a business support perspective, though, if I were a small company, I may shy away from having to deal with inquiries like "I accidently pulled out one of my stems! Now what...?"

I hope EK is able to offer at least some basic choices in the future.

Well, they come with keypullers, so I imagine majestouch gets emails like that all the friggin' time.

But yeah, Cherry Corp keycaps feel like tits on a filco. Wish I could get a full matching set :(
keyboards!

Offline omf

« Reply #90 on: Mon, 04 April 2011, 18:42:23 »
Here are some alternate POV pictures for those interested...

Offline omf

« Reply #91 on: Mon, 04 April 2011, 19:34:33 »
Quote from: ripster;324623
This cracks me up.

Is the manual in Japanese or Korean or Chinese?

Yeah, I was going to comment on that and forgot to!  Do you see where it says "Licensed by Microsoft" at the bottom-left of the label?  I imagine they copied text from some other product...

Mine didn't come with a manual at all, but the label on the box says "Made in Taiwan".  No other "Engrish" on the packaging, as far as I can tell.

EDIT: Oh, I see it says "Logo key licensed by Microsoft" now.  Still seems awkward, if not outright wrong.

Offline omf

« Reply #92 on: Mon, 04 April 2011, 19:37:57 »
I was surprised to see the little 'navels' at the top edge of the keycaps.  Is that pretty common?

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #93 on: Mon, 04 April 2011, 20:50:26 »
Great pics!!! Makes me want one even more. Although with the Filco in stock at Amazon it makes it a bit tough to wait :(

Offline omf

« Reply #94 on: Mon, 04 April 2011, 21:00:01 »
I'm planning on returning mine, as I've decided I can't live without the keypad.  If anyone's interested, I'd be up for selling it to someone instead of returning it.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #95 on: Mon, 04 April 2011, 21:19:47 »
Quote from: omf;324700
I'm planning on returning mine, as I've decided I can't live without the keypad.  If anyone's interested, I'd be up for selling it to someone instead of returning it.

Which one do you have? I'd only be interested in the Otaku brown :-\

Offline muchadoaboutnothing

« Reply #96 on: Mon, 04 April 2011, 21:23:44 »
The pics he posted are of labeled browns.

omf: I wouldn't give up yet, but it's your choice. I thought the same thing, but I gave up my numpad for a week and now I'm doing fantastic without it. Worth it to get the mouse closer to the home row, IMO.

Offline omf

« Reply #97 on: Mon, 04 April 2011, 21:50:32 »
Quote from: daerid;324703
Which one do you have? I'd only be interested in the Otaku brown :-\

It's the non-Otaku brown.  :\

Quote from: muchadoaboutnothing;324706

omf: I wouldn't give up yet, but it's your choice. I thought the same thing, but I gave up my numpad for a week and now I'm doing fantastic without it. Worth it to get the mouse closer to the home row, IMO.

Thanks - I'm giving it a couple more days to see if I get used to it, but I hadn't realized that several of the programs I use frequently have special key combinations for the keypad.  (e.g. Ctrl+Keypad-9 does something special).  I've been using these so long that it had become an unconscious action.

I do like the keyboard, though - and the price is certainly much nicer than the Realforce units.