Author Topic: Need information on an odd find I came across today.  (Read 2617 times)

Offline RFJunkie

Need information on an odd find I came across today.
« on: Thu, 31 March 2011, 18:14:09 »

I came across a few mechanical keyboards today and was curious what switches might be used in them. The model of the keyboards is a Scorpious 305. They come with a trackball and rack mount drawer.

I picked one of them out to try. I may grab the whole lot of them and offer them on eBay if it turns out they are a good keyboard and people want them.

I just want to know what switch they use. I pulled a key cap and they look like they might be XM whites, but not 100% sure. They don't feel like XM's.

They actually sound like blue cherry xm switches and sort of feel like them too.

EDIT_____________________________________
I just posted some pictures of this keyboard I need info on.

And another question if someone can answer it..... Are these boards worth anything to anyone? I believe there are over 60+ of them available in rack mount drawers with matching track ball.
« Last Edit: Thu, 31 March 2011, 21:29:32 by RFJunkie »

Offline RFJunkie

Odd Find today.
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 31 March 2011, 21:31:08 »
Bump..................??? Anyone??? Ripster?? Do you have an answer for me???

Offline RFJunkie

Odd Find today.
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 31 March 2011, 22:34:37 »
Quote from: ripster;322456
You sir, have found an AMERICAN TREASURE!

Actually it's not April 1 yet.  Looks like a Taiwanese cherry clicky clone to me.  Not so hot.  See the Cherry Wiki for details.

Are these things worth anything? I can pick up the whole lot of them in rack mount drawers, with the track ball for $65 to $75 each... Maybe less if I can get them to keep the rack mount drawers.

And from what I saw, They all are in really good shape. I'd have to say the keys are about a 80% to 98% rating.  I think a couple of them that I looked at have never actually been used either.

I'm just debating if I should pick up half of what they have and see if anyone may want one or two for there collection... (I just hate using my Visa card for something that I might not be able to get rid of fast enough.)

Thoughts and or Ideas welcome!!!

Offline Ascaii

Odd Find today.
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 01 April 2011, 00:34:04 »
If you take these at all, you should haggle them down to 50e. No sense in buying a large lot if they wont give you a rebate.
"Mechanical keyboards are like pokemon:
you start with one, and then you wanna catch em all."

Offline REVENGE

Odd Find today.
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 01 April 2011, 01:11:22 »
A used keyboard with the soldering quality of an M10 and Cherry clone switches is NOT worth $50 (unless you enjoy the novelty?). I own the current version of this board, the Scorpius 35, and even with Cherry Blues, I imagine most people would not want to pay more than $50 for a brand new one. The trackball is a double fail: it makes the board longer than a G80-8200 and feels like crap (cheapo opto-mechanical mechanism inside). Not to mention, it has an L-shaped enter + tiny backspace.
◕ ‿ ◕

Offline .XL

• http://www.paokfc.gr/
Odd Find today.
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 01 April 2011, 01:12:06 »
Quote from: Ascaii;322536
If you take these at all, you should haggle them down to 50e. No sense in buying a large lot if they wont give you a rebate.

50e is $70...if he's going to buy any he should at least haggle down to $60. I doubt he'd be able to sell more than a couple.

OP you're best off not bothering if you're trying to pick these up for later resale :/
Keyboards: Filco Majestouch-2 87key Browns - Realforce 103UB 55g - Compaq MX11800 (ghetto clears + doubleshots)

Offline Ascaii

Odd Find today.
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 01 April 2011, 03:56:34 »
Quote from: .XL;322540
50e is $70...if he's going to buy any he should at least haggle down to $60. I doubt he'd be able to sell more than a couple.

OP you're best off not bothering if you're trying to pick these up for later resale :/

50e was referring to 50$ each, and that only if he has a few definite buyers. No point in hauling trash youll get stuck with.^^
"Mechanical keyboards are like pokemon:
you start with one, and then you wanna catch em all."

Offline False_Dmitry_II

Odd Find today.
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 01 April 2011, 10:30:18 »
I mean, I'd take one. But I wouldn't spend more than like $10-20 for it. So if they're wanting that much, I don't think they'll sell.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin (11 Nov. 1755)

Offline pitashen

Odd Find today.
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 01 April 2011, 22:44:58 »
If keycap is of good quality, it might be worth taking it in with a reasonable price.
\\\\ DSI Mac Modular Keyboard (Brown) w/ Leo  Blank Keycaps //
\\\\ Leopold 87keys Keyboard (Brown) w/ Black CherryCorp + SP DoubleShots //
\\\\ Filco Majestouch 2 NINJA (Black) w/ White CherryCorp + SP DoublsShots //

Offline spolia optima

Odd Find today.
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 01 April 2011, 23:23:06 »
Keycaps are pretty std thin ABS
I kinda like the switches themselves. They're like cherry blues but the click is more of a satisfying snap. Also, they're compatible w/ cherry originals.
keyboards!

Offline aegrotatio

Odd Find today.
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 01 April 2011, 23:31:15 »
Oof, I have clone Cherries like this, and if they are anything like mine, they are not good.  However, Scorpious did not make junk keyboards with trackballs on them so it might be a custom manufactured set of switches.  I bought my clone Cherry keyboard as a curiosity and it is so bad it can't even work with touch-typists.

I think those Scorpious with trackballs were popular for computer racks.  I vaguely remember that, depending on when you bought it, it would have clone Cherries or some kind of clicky ALPS.
Daily Drivers: Ducky DK1087XM || DSI ASK-6600 || Rosewill RK-9000 BL, BR, BL, and RE || ABS M1 || Das Keyboard Silent || HHKB Lite and Lite 2 || DSI Big Font (kids love it)
Yearning for: Any ALPS keyboard || Any tenkeyless mechanical keyboard
Permanent collection: Poker Blue and Brown || Adesso MKB-125B || SIIG MiniTouch Geek Hack Space Saver || Chicony 5181 Monterey Blue || Chicony 5191 Clone Cherry Blues || Key Tronic 3600 || Unicomp Endurapro & SmarTrex || A crate of IBM Model M and Model M Space Saving boards || NeXTstation Slab || Amiga 3000 || BTC-5100C black and beige || SIIG MiniTouch Plus black and beige
Retired collection: SIIG MiniTouch Monterey Blue || Razer BlackWidow