Author Topic: What's really 'the best' / some general questions  (Read 10423 times)

Offline .XL

• http://www.paokfc.gr/
What's really 'the best' / some general questions
« Reply #50 on: Wed, 06 April 2011, 11:30:58 »
Quote from: BucklingSpring;325638
I rest my case.

Er...you didn't rest anything. He makes a valid point there.
Keyboards: Filco Majestouch-2 87key Browns - Realforce 103UB 55g - Compaq MX11800 (ghetto clears + doubleshots)

Offline RiGS

« Reply #51 on: Wed, 06 April 2011, 11:35:41 »
.XL is one of my sockpuppets.
Last edited by RiGS; Jan 2011

Offline .XL

« Reply #52 on: Wed, 06 April 2011, 11:37:27 »
Quote from: RiGS;325643
.XL is one of my sockpuppets.

I WILL destroy you...

Sockpuppet my ass!
Keyboards: Filco Majestouch-2 87key Browns - Realforce 103UB 55g - Compaq MX11800 (ghetto clears + doubleshots)

Offline Chobopants

« Reply #53 on: Wed, 06 April 2011, 11:45:12 »
So here's the thing. When we say "gaming" it seems everyone is ONLY talking about FPSs here.

As far as I can tell browns are AWESOME for me general gaming (including FPS) and literally PERFECT for RTS. I've played with my friends SteelSeries, it's ok, didn't love it. I can feather the actuation on my Topre better than the black if you want to go that far.

For me:

FPS - Topre > (Brown = Black) > Blue
RTS - Brown > (Blue = Black) > Topre

So...yeah. That's why my desk looks like this:

For WoW/TF2/CS I use the Realforce.
For SC2/HoN, or if I'm too lazy to switch back to the Realforce, I use my Filco.
« Last Edit: Wed, 06 April 2011, 11:48:09 by Chobopants »
Realforce 87UW 45g - Filco Blue 87 - Filco Linear R - Filco Brown 104

Offline .XL

« Reply #54 on: Wed, 06 April 2011, 11:48:54 »
Quote from: Chobopants;325648
So here's the thing. When we say "gaming" it seems everyone is ONLY talking about FPSs here.

As far as I can tell browns are AWESOME for me general gaming (including FPS) and literally PERFECT for RTS. I've played with my friends SteelSeries, it's ok, didn't love it. I can feather the actuation on my Topre better than the black if you want to go that far.

For me:

FPS - Topre > (Brown = Black) > Blue
RTS - Brown > (Blue = Black) > Topre

So...yeah.

I covered that point earlier...I haven't played an fps in months. For rts I like my browns, and the blues are nice too. I think RiGS has a point - rts are more like typing. I think the browns and reds are the all around board, with blues best for rts and blacks for fps. Really, it comes out to personal preference. O HIGHLY doubt any of us here are at the level where the keyboard actually makes a difference in our performance. We'd all be equally as mediocre on a scissor or a rubber dome :p

@chobo...add me on hon :p AlkaXL

Offline RiGS

« Reply #55 on: Wed, 06 April 2011, 11:55:54 »
LOL, It took me months to get the most out of my mx blacks.
I mean constantly holding the switch at the activation point while not buttoming out.
The 45g Topre is actually awesome for double tapping, but the mx blacks are still a tad better when you need to actuate twice a different key very quickly.

BTW FPS are not  keyboard sensitive games. Those are more about tactics and mouse precision.

Offline Chobopants

« Reply #56 on: Wed, 06 April 2011, 12:29:38 »
Quote from: RiGS;325658
LOL, It took me months to get the most out of my mx blacks.
I mean constantly holding the switch at the activation point while not buttoming out.
The 45g Topre is actually awesome for double tapping, but the mx blacks are still a tad better when you need to actuate twice a different key very quickly.

BTW FPS are not  keyboard sensitive games. Those are more about tactics and mouse precision.

So we're not talking about FPS or RTS then. What the hell genre of competitive PC game are you talking about? Minesweeper?

Offline RiGS

« Reply #57 on: Wed, 06 April 2011, 12:41:57 »
I'm not game specific. I'm talking about the general capabilities of the switches.

Here's a good analogy from majestouch:
A great chef can cook good food with poor tools, but you give him a great set of tools and he can work magic. Give an amateur cook those same great tools and you still get amateur food...

...but that amateur might just learn the nuances of those great tools over time.

When you're playing an FPS game, every extra frame, bit of mouse sensitivity, and reduction in latency = the difference between life or death in certain situations. So, to maximize your potential to make the most of every situation, you need the best tool for the job. No; from top to bottom, linear switches cannot be pressed in faster succession than a tactile switch, but near the point of actuation, a linear switch has finer control of when the actuation occurs.

Offline snowball

« Reply #58 on: Wed, 06 April 2011, 12:44:16 »
Quote from: RiGS;325658
are not  keyboard sensitive games. Those are more about tactics and mouse precision.

Double jumps and direction changes. I feel that I'm about 25% keyboard 75% mouse.
Mice: Zowie EC2, SS Xai, Deathadder Black Edition, Imperator, MX 518, G9
Mousepad: Artisan KAI.g3 HARD, QCK+, SX, 9HD, I-2, NP+, QCK Heavy, Zowie G-TF
Keyboard: G6v2, Mini Choc (blue), Leo Otaku (brown), Poker (Red on order)

Offline Chobopants

« Reply #59 on: Wed, 06 April 2011, 13:04:37 »
Ok so we ARE talking about FPSs?

Saying "general capabilities" doesn't apply. An RTS has different requirements than an FPS. Blanket statements don't work. I switch to my Topre for FPS and my Filco Brown for RTS.

I've competed (and done quite well in) some of the biggest Warcraft 3 tournaments in the world (pre-MLG). I played on an old Logitech rubber dome and an Intellimouse 1.0 with a generic rubber and cloth mousepad.

I used to train with fatal1ty and others back in the day in Quake2 and won many Ut2k3 instagib tournaments. I played with a Dell branded Model M and some ball mouse I don't even remember the brand of.

As has been stated above, the SC2 players that are in the top 1% in the GSL use everything from a rubber dome to cherry blues.

I firmly argue that, given a couple weeks of adjustment, any top 5% player of a game can operate at their full potential with nearly any hardware that you throw at them. Look at the fact that many pro-FPS players still greatly prefer the Intellimouse to all the new-fangled 85,000dpi mice out there.

All these opinionated and immature "blues are useless, blacks are best" type comments just make me sad.

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #60 on: Wed, 06 April 2011, 13:09:10 »
Quote from: Chobopants;325690
Ok so we ARE talking about FPSs?

Saying "general capabilities" doesn't apply. An RTS has different requirements than an FPS. Blanket statements don't work. I switch to my Topre for FPS and my Filco Brown for RTS.

I've competed (and done quite well in) some of the biggest Warcraft 3 tournaments in the world (pre-MLG). I played on an old Logitech rubber dome and an Intellimouse 1.0 with a generic rubber and cloth mousepad.

I used to train with fatal1ty and others back in the day in Quake2 and won many Ut2k3 instagib tournaments. I played with a Dell branded Model M and some ball mouse I don't even remember the brand of.

As has been stated above, the SC2 players that are in the top 1% in the GSL use everything from a rubber dome to cherry blues.

I firmly argue that, given a couple weeks of adjustment, any top 5% player of a game can operate at their full potential with nearly any hardware that you throw at them. Look at the fact that many pro-FPS players still greatly prefer the Intellimouse to all the new-fangled 85,000dpi mice out there.

All these opinionated and immature "blues are useless, blacks are best" type comments just make me sad.

I'll have to agree.
The quote from Majestouch that RiGS posted earlier does have a point, but all that is just on paper. In a real situation I'd say player skill is the deciding factor no matter what equipment they use.

Offline snowball

« Reply #61 on: Wed, 06 April 2011, 13:15:45 »
Skill of the player is the key. But look at Rapha who stopped using a Xai despite his Steelseries sponsorship. He went back to a Intelimouse (now with a big steelseries sticker on it) because he plays better with it.

I doubt we could quantify that the Intelimouse is "better" but we can say that in the end player preference is what matters.

Offline RiGS

« Reply #62 on: Wed, 06 April 2011, 13:24:32 »

Frankly, I think the same about your comment.

Blues are only good for RTS and typing, and not for general gaming.
I didn't bash other switches.

And yes, I'm still thinking mx blacks are a tad better for double tapping than the topre.

Offline AcidSouL

« Reply #63 on: Wed, 06 April 2011, 13:27:59 »
thanks to this forum one man of my country pm me here..says he can sell me brand new Filco FKBN87M/EB Brown Cherry... but the price is like 115 euro...but i can buy brand new Razer Black Widow with warrancy for 80 euro... what u think guys..is it worth it.. i really dont think so... if i am honest..
Black Widow Elite - Quiet Modification
Logitech G3

Offline RiGS

« Reply #64 on: Wed, 06 April 2011, 13:29:16 »
Go for the Filco!

Offline Chobopants

« Reply #65 on: Wed, 06 April 2011, 13:31:18 »
Quote from: snowball;325699
Skill of the player is the key. But look at Rapha who stopped using a Xai despite his Steelseries sponsorship. He went back to a Intelimouse (now with a big steelseries sticker on it) because he plays better with it.

I doubt we could quantify that the Intelimouse is "better" but we can say that in the end player preference is what matters.

Right. At a certain point hardware is not the limiting factor, just player preference.

I will agree that blues are sub-ideal for gaming in general just because of the actuation/repeat problem. Any attempt at lightly holding down the key and toggling it will get you: wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww. (I'm on a blue right now and that was my attempt).

All other switches that I've used, however, are just fine. Really doesn't matter if its a rubber dome or an MX Black Game Supreme. I prefer my Topre over a Black and honestly don't think it would make one lick of difference which one I used in a tournament once I got adjusted to it.

Offline Chobopants

« Reply #66 on: Wed, 06 April 2011, 13:33:11 »
Quote from: RiGS;325713
Go for the Filco!

Agreed! It is 100% worth it, trust me. You don't want blues if you're looking to buy a gaming-centric board. Also Filco > Razer. It's just a much nicer board.

Offline Chobopants

« Reply #67 on: Wed, 06 April 2011, 13:37:25 »
So to fully summarize:

Short of blues and buckling springs probably being subideal (but not "useless") for gaming, the rest is a pure wash of preference. All you can do is make a best guess as to what you think you'll like and buy them and try 'em out.

None of us can predict what you will fall in love with, we can only give passionate advice. Try them out as best you can. Who knows, you might just end up agreeing with Rigs and think the Black is the bee's knees.

Or hell, you could be the first guy to win a CounterStrike tournament with a Realforce board.

:)

Offline snowball

« Reply #68 on: Wed, 06 April 2011, 13:41:58 »
BTW: telling me that you enjoy gaming on a realforce is not going to help my wallet/collecting problem at all.

I should really hold out for my reds though. I love the linear blacks, but like the force of the browns.
« Last Edit: Wed, 06 April 2011, 13:44:29 by snowball »

Offline Chobopants

« Reply #69 on: Wed, 06 April 2011, 13:46:16 »
Quote from: snowball;325721
BTW: telling me that you enjoy gaming on a realforce is not going to help my wallet/collecting problem at all.

I should really hold out for my reds though. I love the linear blacks, but like the force of the browns.

Hehe yeah. RF's resell fast and for nearly full price on here though...might not hurt too much to try it out just so you know. :)

There's a non-zero chance that I'm going to buy a Linear R some time in the future also. Trying to hold out myself though I guess it would complete my Cherry collection.

Offline .XL

« Reply #70 on: Wed, 06 April 2011, 14:47:26 »
I made that 'personal preference' post and the 'hardware doesn't matter as much as skill' post at the top of the last page! I swear, no one gives a **** about my posts unless I'm selling something >.<

I hate you all!

Oh, and go for the Filco piderast :p

Offline bhtooefr

• this switch can tick sound of music
    • bhtooefr.org
« Reply #71 on: Wed, 06 April 2011, 15:16:51 »
Quote from: Chobopants;325674

So we're not talking about FPS or RTS then. What the hell genre of competitive PC game are you talking about? Minesweeper?

Racing games? Except the really competitive ones REQUIRE a wheel.

Offline Chobopants

« Reply #72 on: Wed, 06 April 2011, 15:20:26 »
Quote from: .XL;325759
I made that 'personal preference' post and the 'hardware doesn't matter as much as skill' post at the top of the last page! I swear, no one gives a **** about my posts unless I'm selling something >.<

I hate you all!

Oh, and go for the Filco piderast :p

<3

How about flight sims? Requires minimum 6 monitors and a custom built cockpit!

Offline .XL

« Reply #73 on: Wed, 06 April 2011, 15:38:30 »
Quote from: Chobopants;325783
<3

How about flight sims? Requires minimum 6 monitors and a custom built cockpit!

Only 6? I find my 8 monitor setup feels just right. Oh, and I bought a filco with blacks for it cause, ya know, it's a video game and if I'm not using blacks I must be a noob!

Offline Chobopants

« Reply #74 on: Wed, 06 April 2011, 15:46:24 »
Quote from: .XL;325789
Only 6? I find my 8 monitor setup feels just right. Oh, and I bought a filco with blacks for it cause, ya know, it's a video game and if I'm not using blacks I must be a noob!

Haha. Real pros mod their authentic F-14 control sticks with black switches for that true linear feel.

Offline .XL

« Reply #75 on: Wed, 06 April 2011, 15:55:45 »
Quote from: Chobopants;325795
Haha. Real pros mod their authentic F-14 control sticks with black switches for that true linear feel.

Ain't no tactility in fighter jets