Author Topic: Das Keyboard Normal vs Silent / other question  (Read 6346 times)

Offline brkim1324

Das Keyboard Normal vs Silent / other question
« on: Mon, 18 April 2011, 03:33:58 »
Hi
I currently own DasKeyboard Ultimate, Blue Switches.
So far I love the keyboard and the sound, but I am interested in brown switches too.
Here's my question.
1. How does brown feel compared to blue? Is it lighter?
2. In terms of the sound, is it any louder? does it sound as good as in youtube videos? like Clack Clack? (I want it to be louder and strong sound feel of clack..)

3. Other question, my Daskeyboard came in as kinda... scratched and dusty.
It keeps getting dust and white stains in the specific parts of the keyboard.
And in the sides of the keyboards, there are minor brown hairs at the little gaps.

Do your daskeyboards get lots of stains and scratches? Mine came with it a little, and not been a month. about 3 weeks.
I requested for a EMA but didn't ship yet.. I don't know if I can hold for 2 weeks without that keyboard :), and not even sure if they r gonna replace mine to new one.
But my keyboard is already in package and ready to be shipped.

Please answer my questions! :( I am so curious!
and any advice and commnets too please!!

I appreciate it!!

Offline nhwhaup

« Reply #1 on: Mon, 18 April 2011, 04:41:08 »
Hello there - I have the Das but in the "silent" version.  I like the feel of the browns - very light in feel but definitely not silent.  Even with light typing and no bottoming out - it drives my husband nutty and I have to go in the other room.  My Das was definitely new but i had the same issue with it developing a white film. I would wipe it down and by the next day - it would be all white filmy again.  Not attractive at all to have the black shiny parts all filmy in white.  I also am waiting for a RMA to return it.  Sounds like I'm in the same boat as you although I'm not going for a replacement just a return for refund.  I liked the keyboard and think it seemed very well made except for the white film and the fact that it wasn't quiet enough not to be annoying.  I did purchase the Filco Majestouch with the linear reds off of Amazon and like that keyboard much better.  It is more narrow with no extras but the key feeling is awesome.  Very light touch but quieter if you can type without bottoming out.  Probably not for you as you like more of the noise.  Now while I do like the red switches - I think my favorite is still my Realforce with the topre switches.  Feels like butter - not as light as a touch as with the reds but awesome lower pitched sound.  Good luck with your return.  Let me know how you make out.  How long have you been waiting for a RMA to return?  I sent my request in to the help desk on Friday.
Current in order of preference:  RealForce 87U Silent White with variable weighted keys X 2, Filco Majestouch 2 Tenkeyless with Linear Reds, Filco Number-pad, Poker with Linear Reds

Sold or returned:  Multiple Microsoft and Logitech keyboards, Das Keyboard Silent, Cherry 6140, RealForce 103UB, RealForce 86U, Filco Majestouch 2 full sized with Linear Reds

Offline brkim1324

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 18 April 2011, 07:19:56 »
Thanks for the reply. I actually just took out my keyboard back out again.. haha. It turns out my other normal membrane keyboard gets white filmy too.. :( Maybe it's how my room is.. I did get minor scratches on my upper right side of the keyboard where the Das Keyboard is written. Not a big deal, since it's gonna get some scratches anyway in the future, but yes.. it is a little annoying.. Like u said, I was looking for Majestouch too, but they seem to be hard to get. Can you tell me where you got your majestouch?? And for the browns.. hmm.. so it's not that quiet? Definitely wanna try out.. but I don't know if I can just EMA it just for a different model without any specific reason... and also worries what if I wanna get back my blue back.. :( I did my EMA almost last week, and got fast response in few hours. I did put it in "Urgent". I really wanna try out all the different types of keyboards, like the Topre, but where I live doesn't really allow it unless I purchase them all just to try it out. Anyway, I appreciate your reponse. Before u go, can you give me the link where u purchased the majestouch? :) Thank you

Offline HoboBob

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 18 April 2011, 07:34:03 »
From what I've read, the glossy layout is a dust magnet and a smudge lover. Glossy might be good for a display unit, but not for something you keep touching.

You hinted on "the specific parts of the keyboard. ", if you are talking about the arrow keys, yes, they will get smudged.

For the white film you are talking about, is it a layer of fine dust or finger prints? Many people have an issue with sweat and greasy hands. Purist will suggest that you take regular break from your desk to go the the bathroom to clean your hands and at the same time, to relax your eyes. Others will say to have a bottle of hand sanitizer, but it usually dries up your skin if used regularly.

Offline brkim1324

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 18 April 2011, 07:53:52 »
It's both the keycaps and the texture. The bottom of the keycaps get white smudges, and the glossy part gets white.. filmy thing... I just tested another of my rubber dome keyboard with similar textures, and it still gets it too... So I guess it's my room.. :( So now, I just took it out from my packaging and decided to keep using it. I do clean my hands quite often for that reason. To keep my keyboard clean! :) But the weird thing is the smudges stack up where I don't touch them. Where I type, is fine, which is the left side of they keyboard. It's the right side which I don't use as often... And 1 more question! Have u tried browns? How do they feel? compared to blues? Thinking about changing mine to browns :)

Offline HoboBob

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 18 April 2011, 08:01:12 »
Well, it depends on what you do and with whom... err that went well... I mean, is it for gaming or for typing? Are you alone in the room or do you have a significant other?

If it's you answered gaming and not alone (and plan to stay like that) I'd say, go for brown. If you are not playing fps, SCII (or just feel like typing) and are alone, go for blue.

Don't get me wrong, I like noise when I type, but, I would go brown for gaming and just switch to a Model M when I need to hear high pitched noise.

Offline brkim1324

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 18 April 2011, 08:05:10 »
hmm hmm... I currently own blues. I play lots of games and typing. I do play both FPS,RTS. I do computer when I'm alone. Talking about typing feeling, so brown and blue typing feel differ? I never tried them, so I just heard they feel the same but just the clicky noise is not there. I did also hear brown do sound a little like rubber dome keyboards but 1.5 times louder. My question is, so when it comes to typing feeling, it's not the same? and it's not that quiet? :)

Offline HoboBob

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 18 April 2011, 08:13:38 »
Fast typists love the click feedback of the blue. Knowing that the key correctly was entered is a plus. I'm not a typist myself, so for me, the touch type + click is not an option.

On the blue you feel the bump a bit better and it's slightly stiffer (actuation/peak force).

The only issue with the blues would be double-typing, since the release point is above the actuation point.

IMO, stick with blues if you already have them and love them. The only reason for you to switch would be to go brown BUT in another brand, like a FILCO Tenkeyless or something like that.

Hope it helps. I'm fairly new here, but if the pros want to add something they are more than welcomed!

Offline brkim1324

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 18 April 2011, 08:23:47 »
thanks alot. that helped alot :) do u know any website that I can purchase FILCO brands? Its quite hard to find... I do love blue switches but just looking for something better :) What I'm thinking now is... Purchase brown key switch daskeyboard then refund if I don't like it...

Offline HoboBob

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 18 April 2011, 08:33:42 »
I'd look at the Wiki under http://geekhack.org/showwiki.php?title=Geekhack+WorldWide+Shopping+Links

If it doesn't help. Check Army Group threads or PChome in Group Buys sub-forum.

Offline skyblue

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 18 April 2011, 18:15:33 »
In response to the OP, my Das didn't come with any scratches or stains on it. I've only had it for a couple weeks now but love it even though it needs to be wiped down every now and then.. not something for me to complain about.

The das is my first mechanical but thanks to geekhack I'm already thinking of picking up a Filco tenkeyless brown as a second keyboard to carry around with my laptop. HMMMMMM............
Das Professional S | Filco Majestouch-2 104

Offline nhwhaup

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 18 April 2011, 20:26:53 »
My Das Keyboard the "Silent" one with the cherry brown switches had a really milky white film that would keep returning on the shiny part of the keyboard.  The keys were fine but I would continually have to wipe down the black shiny part.  My other cheap Microsoft keyboard also was the glossy black but it didn't have or get that milky film so I tend to think my Das had an issue with it.  I did send mine back.  For both reasons - that it was too noisy and also the whole milky film that wouldn't stay away.  

In answer to your question on the Filco Majestouch - the one I purchased on Amazon is the limited edition (so they say) with the cherry red linear switches. See below for the address. http://www.amazon.com/Filco-Majestouch-2-NKR-ASCII-Switch/dp/B004OX4HWG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1303176261&sr=8-1
Current in order of preference:  RealForce 87U Silent White with variable weighted keys X 2, Filco Majestouch 2 Tenkeyless with Linear Reds, Filco Number-pad, Poker with Linear Reds

Sold or returned:  Multiple Microsoft and Logitech keyboards, Das Keyboard Silent, Cherry 6140, RealForce 103UB, RealForce 86U, Filco Majestouch 2 full sized with Linear Reds

Offline Tallon

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 19 April 2011, 00:45:49 »
Hmm - I have a Das keyboard, and though I've only had it for 8 days - I've noticed no scratches or white film or anything like that. If I look closely, though, I can see finger prints. But even that is not noticeable with where the keyboard is compared to the light sources in the room...

Offline nhwhaup

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 19 April 2011, 05:11:15 »
Quote from: Tallon;333243
Hmm - I have a Das keyboard, and though I've only had it for 8 days - I've noticed no scratches or white film or anything like that. If I look closely, though, I can see finger prints. But even that is not noticeable with where the keyboard is compared to the light sources in the room...

I think I must have gotten a Das that had defective plastic.  It started getting the milky film immediately after removing the shipping plastic.  Originally I thought it was just dusty but after lightly wiping the dust, the white film was still there so I had to wipe harder with the microfiber cloth the get the film off.  The next day the film would re-appear.  For the price of the keyboard you would expect it to be perfect at least at the start.  Mine wasn't.  It's in the mail returning to Das for a refund.  I'm hoping their 30 day return policy is non-hassle.

Offline brkim1324

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 19 April 2011, 05:42:52 »
Thanks for all the comments :) I actually requested for RMA now. will return mine and get filco or leopold instead. This is a very good keyboard indeed. I am typing it right now. Its blue switches without lettering. I am very happy with it, but as you guys said, the white filming, some cosmetic problems gets annoying. If you are kind of person who really loves your thing and wants to be shiny and good looking, this will annoy you. I like the design overall and also the glossy finish, but the white filming, and not very durable design.. is annoying :( I hope they would fix this design soon. I am now gonna get Majestouch tenkeyless otaku version (no lettering) :). I just bought it from used from the classfied forum XD can't wait!

Offline patrickgeekhack

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 19 April 2011, 08:19:21 »
I don't seem to have a white film on mine, unless I my definition of "white film" is different. A bit of dust does not bother me now. Before, dust would drive me crazy on any of my black keyboards (Filco, Cherry G80-3000, Topre Realforce), but not so much anymore. I figured out that dust is just part of life. This is even a bigger problem during winter months for me because my hands are very dry in winter. Also I would not complain too much as far as my Das is concerned for it was a gift from Metadot :-)

Offline n19htmare

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 19 April 2011, 12:47:46 »
I ordered the Das professional yesterday for my work. I have the Filco blue mx at home and I really like it. So I went with the Das professional for work.

Now I'm thinking if it's going to be too loud... I've heard the DAS is very similar in sounds to the Filco Blue. And Filco Blue mx is pretty chittary.

But I love the tactile feel of the Blue mx. It feels just right for typing, Will I lose out on some of that tactile-ness if I go with the Silent version with the Brown MX.

DAS is going to check and see if my order shipped and call me back so I can make the change if needed....

Those who have used both or have both, how does the tactile feel differ in the two?

Offline patrickgeekhack

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 19 April 2011, 12:53:11 »
Quote from: n19htmare;333502

Those who have used both or have both, how does the tactile feel differ in the two?

The tactile feeling is very very subtle on the brown Cherry, but is definitely there on the blue Cherry. This is why it's my favourite switch so far.  If you think it's too loud for the office, you can always place a towel underneath the keyboard. It helps cut down the noise. I've used even a Model M at work :-)

Offline Chobopants

« Reply #18 on: Tue, 19 April 2011, 13:07:46 »
They are quite different! Brown is nearly linear until you get used to it, then red will be even more [truly] linear. The funny thing is, as you go backwards, the brown feels quite tactile in comparison to red.
Realforce 87UW 45g - Filco Blue 87 - Filco Linear R - Filco Brown 104

Offline n19htmare

« Reply #19 on: Tue, 19 April 2011, 13:27:33 »
i kept my order with DAS and stayed with the blues. I dont think i Can get rid of the tactile feel. I hardly bottom out my keys, so the noise is not as bad as with some typists. With the blue mx, I feel the key press themselves. I think down the road I might pickup the browns to try out....

Offline patrickgeekhack

« Reply #20 on: Wed, 20 April 2011, 05:31:43 »
Quote from: n19htmare;333521
i kept my order with DAS and stayed with the blues. I dont think i Can get rid of the tactile feel. I hardly bottom out my keys, so the noise is not as bad as with some typists. With the blue mx, I feel the key press themselves. I think down the road I might pickup the browns to try out....

Although I enjoy using all of my keyboards, I do prefer the blue Cherry because I feel it offers the right balance between audio and tactile feedback. It's not as loud as a Model M for example. For some reasons, I tend to make more noise with my brown Cherry Filco at work than at home. I guess, at work, I have to be faster. At home, I tend to work on a nice rythm rather than speed.

Offline n19htmare

« Reply #21 on: Fri, 22 April 2011, 12:46:09 »
I just got the Das M Pro (Blue mx). Its not as loud as I thought it was going to be. If you bottom out every keypress, then it might get loud (As will any other mechanical keybaord), but other then that its not that loud. I've learned to type without bottoming out so the the only thing you hear is the clicking of the switch and not the keys banging on the board.

It's a very very nice keybaords, and a pleasure to type on, I would definitely say it's on par with the Filco  10 keyless I have at home.

Love the feel of the keycaps. I could have done without the shiny faceplate. A matte finish would have given this keyboard just that much edge over the others. Nonetheless, a VERY nice keyboard.

Offline patrickgeekhack

« Reply #22 on: Fri, 22 April 2011, 16:28:16 »
Quote from: n19htmare;335579

It's a very very nice keybaords, and a pleasure to type on, I would definitely say it's on par with the Filco  10 keyless I have at home.

Glad you like yours. I never thought I would find a keyboard which would threaten the G80-3000 on my preferred keyboards list, but the Das certainly does that. I like the sound of plate-mounted blue Cherry switches.

Offline brkim1324

« Reply #23 on: Fri, 22 April 2011, 16:43:02 »
I own both Filco blue tenkeyless and Das blue ultimate. They feel little bit different from both. Das has a bigger board in height also, so when u type, it is easier to type without bottoming out. Therefore, it feels softer and don't have the clack sound of bottoming out most of the time you type. Filco's board is lower, meaning it has shorter distance from u type to the bottom of the keyboard. It feels more firm, and bottoming out most of the time. For me, my hands get tirder when typing Filco tenkeyless blue, since I type to the bottom most of the time. I am not a hard typist, but your fingers will feel like click, tacticle, good feedback, than hitting on the stone.. To me I prefer Das more in the typing feeling. It just feels softer. But in sound wise, Filco sounds better, also in board quality too. The board is made more solid,  and the sound kinda echoes when you type too, so it just sounds better. To me, Das is much quieter than Filco. Personally, I don't understand what's so loud about Das.. Maybe I am just loving the sound so much that I ignoring the loudness :P
I decided to return the Das blue, and get a Filco.. and HHKB.. I'm gonna miss Das, it just feels better than Filco in my respect. But the build quality aspect kinda disappointed me in that price and luxury level.. But still a great keyboard.