Author Topic: What is the most manly sounding keyboard?  (Read 4745 times)

Offline NormaJean

What is the most manly sounding keyboard?
« on: Fri, 22 April 2011, 10:47:41 »
Hey!

I recently got into keyboards and I've tried a few so far.

I have a board with brown mx, blue mx and topres. I also have a board with ALPS on the way, but I have never tried them.

I got my blue boards because I wanted to make a lot of noise and feel like I'm the destroyer while e-mailing customers and doing whatever I do at work(posting on forum!?!?!).

Now that I've played a little with my blue board I like the sound but I'm a little underwhelmed, I tought the clicking was going to be a little more... meaty.

What keyboard should I be getting if I want to bring down the thunder... I want something that'll go BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG!

Thanks!

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 22 April 2011, 10:49:53 »
I'm guessing model m or model f.

Offline noodles256

• le legendary
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 22 April 2011, 10:52:15 »
get a gun and use it to type on your keyboard

/thread
AF | Ducky YOTD |

Offline Oqsy

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 22 April 2011, 11:20:40 »
The keyboard don't make the man, son.
[sigpic]Currently in use: Rosewill RK9000 and CH DT225[/sigpic]
"Private misfortunes make for public welfare."

Offline NormaJean

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 22 April 2011, 11:23:14 »
Damn, I wanted to bring my board in bed and serenade my girl with the loud clacking of a mechanical keyboard... guess I'll have to think of something else to get her in the mood.

Offline HaveANiceDay

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 22 April 2011, 11:24:57 »
The most manly thing to do is to get a secretary to type stuff for you.
Filco Tenkeyless Brown with beige cherry doubleshots (home)
Realforce 86U (work)
Get you own Phantom NAO!

Offline Lpb45

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 22 April 2011, 11:44:11 »
Quote from: HaveANiceDay;335529
The most manly thing to do is to get a secretary to type stuff for you.

Good ole Maggie "Horseface" Gylenhallelelllaldlsdlsasdo
Topre - 86U   |   Filco - Tenkeyless Linear Red
Filco - Tenkeyless Blue       |   Filco - Fullsize Non NKRO Blue (Work)

Offline BaconKnight

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 22 April 2011, 11:47:21 »
I'm guessing the IBM Model M (or Unicomp Customizer, same thing) might be what you're looking for. As far as I know, they're the only other keyboards that give MX blues a run for their money in terms of noise. I kinda like the blues more for "showing off" the sound though. The lighter touch makes me type faster than on my IBM and the higher pitch clack sounds more like a machine gun to me. :-)
Leopold FC200RC/AB
Noppoo Choc Mini
TG3 Data911
Cherry G80-8113LRCUS
IBM Model M 1391401
SIIG Minitouch 1903
Dell AT101W GYUM90SK

Image Gallery

Offline NormaJean

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 22 April 2011, 11:53:59 »
I wouldn't be showing off... I'm just looking for personal satisfaction here, I won't use this keyboard when I'm with my coworkers because I'm respectfull of their work environment. But I understand what you mean I've only had the blues for a day and I'm loving them more and more, I just tought that the click would be a little louder and maybe a bit deeper.

Here's a similar question what cherry blue board is the best sounding?

Offline Chobopants

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 22 April 2011, 11:58:57 »
Now it just sounds like you're trying to start a fight! Asking what is the best sounding is going to be so subjective you'll never get a clear answer.

If you have a Filco blue you're using one of the nicest boards out there, just be happy with it. Das is pretty close and the BlackWidow isn't bad. I have no experience with Deck so I can't speak for those.
Realforce 87UW 45g - Filco Blue 87 - Filco Linear R - Filco Brown 104

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 22 April 2011, 11:59:47 »
The IBM Model F, by far.

See here.

Offline BaconKnight

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 22 April 2011, 12:05:30 »
Oh I see, I think I misinterpreted your original post. Hmm, I still think personally for me, I feel more "manly" (if that's the word) typing on the blues because it's a lighter switch. The IBM feels awesome, but the heavier switch makes me feel like I'm fighting the keyboard with each press. Not saying it's a bad keyboard to type with, I love it in fact, but it's like the IBM is this beast and I'm conforming to it. Whereas with the blues, I'm the master and it's the slave, I'm just slamming them down and they can't do anything about it! Wait, this is starting to sound creepy. :-)
Leopold FC200RC/AB
Noppoo Choc Mini
TG3 Data911
Cherry G80-8113LRCUS
IBM Model M 1391401
SIIG Minitouch 1903
Dell AT101W GYUM90SK

Image Gallery

Offline NormaJean

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 22 April 2011, 12:12:51 »
Quote from: BaconKnight;335557
Oh I see, I think I misinterpreted your original post. Hmm, I still think personally for me, I feel more "manly" (if that's the word) typing on the blues because it's a lighter switch. The IBM feels awesome, but the heavier switch makes me feel like I'm fighting the keyboard with each press. Not saying it's a bad keyboard to type with, I love it in fact, but it's like the IBM is this beast and I'm conforming to it. Whereas with the blues, I'm the master and it's the slave, I'm just slamming them down and they can't do anything about it! Wait, this is starting to sound creepy. :-)

... go on :D

Seriously I think I understand what you mean, you're trying to explain to me that I need a board with buckling springs :D

Offline jnsjr

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 22 April 2011, 13:17:06 »
+1 for buckling springs.. Unicomp spacesaver/customizer's sound great! Much more manly than cherry blues imo of course
Current Keyboards
Unicomp Space Saver (white) ~ HHKB2 ~ White Filco Red Cherry Limited Edition (Imsto Grey on White PBT + Group 3 keys + Awry keys)  ~ Realforce 87U 45g + Realforce 87U Variable + Realforce Numpad :biggrin1:+ MJ2 White Blue Cherry 87key

Keycaps
ClickClack Red Eye Skull *(2)* *(3)* *(4)*~ Black Eye Skull *(2)* *(3)* ~ Closeup ~  Topre WASD (Thanks Yak & DB!)

WTT & WTS
WTS White Filco Red Cherry Limited Edition (still deciding!)
Sold ~ Filco Blue Cherry; Majestouch 104 nonprinted keycaps; Noppoo Choco Mini 茶轴 (brown switches);  Topre 87u Variable ; Topre 87u 55g ; MY7000 Doubleshots ; Round 1 Doubleshots    
[/FONT]
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline CurtisLeon

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 22 April 2011, 13:27:44 »
IBM Selectric.
Currently Using

Space Invaders: NMB RTRT8255CW+
Black ALPS: Dell AT101W
Foam & Foil: BTC 5339SX

In Storage

White ALPS (complicated): Focus FK-2001, Reveal KB-7061 (Chicony rebrand), PC Concepts KB-7000 (Chicony rebrand)
Orange ALPS: Apple Extended Keyboard (modded to ghetto Blue ALPS)
Peerless: Fujitsu FKB4700
Foam & Foil: LR 69497 (unknown make, terminal keyboard)

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 22 April 2011, 14:05:16 »
Quote from: ch_123;335554
The IBM Model F, by far.

I would say Model F as well.  (don't think it is "by far" though) b

Offline MissileMike

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 22 April 2011, 14:15:23 »
OP: You should really get a Unicomp or IBM Model M.  You will feel like you're wrecking buildings as you massacre the keys.
BS: 5 Space Savers  ||  9 42H  ||  10 1391401 or similar  ||  1x 1390131  || AT&T 305b  ||  Dell Model M
Cherry: Leopold FC200RC/AB  ||  3 Ducky 1087  ||  PLU ML87 ||  Cherry G80-8113LUVEU-2  browns
Alps: Filco Zero Tenkeyless (fukka)  ||  ABS M1  ||  3x Dell AT101w  ||  Ancer KF-191  ||  6 Vivanco Compact
Misc: NMB RT6855T+  ||  NMB RT101 Space Invader  ||  Dell Quietkey  ||  Ge Fanuc Industrial Metal

Offline NormaJean

« Reply #17 on: Fri, 22 April 2011, 14:17:53 »
I believe I will be ordering a unicomp shortly, I don't think I would be happy witha used board and the NOS for those kind of boards is pretty ridiculous.

It's a shame tought that unicomp does not makes some kind of tenkeyless version of their boards with BS.

Offline drsauced

« Reply #18 on: Fri, 22 April 2011, 14:55:30 »
Yup, I do see those IBM M Space Saving going for $400+ on eBay and I cry a little.  A Unicomp Space-Saving would be a slaughter.

I posted elsewhere, this Leopold with blues sounds like an old daisy wheel printer; very meaty, in a John Holmes kind of way.
Filco Ninja 104 Tactile w/Imsto PBT caps | Deck Legend Ice Linear | FC200RT Clear w/Danger Zone | Topre 87U 45g EK | '89 & '93 1391401 | Ping is Life

Offline NormaJean

« Reply #19 on: Fri, 22 April 2011, 15:01:24 »
^^^ Really so you're saying that the leopold might sound quite a bit better than my PLU 87?

I would have a hard time justifying another board with blues but if there's a noticeable difference I might just go for it :p

I do love the feel of cherry blue, I just think that the pitch of the click is a little high and thin

Offline drsauced

« Reply #20 on: Fri, 22 April 2011, 16:00:38 »
I detect some kind of tension in that video.  I mean, what those boys need is a good game of tennis to burn off some of that energy.  If it's not too cold outside, I guess.

I should record this thing, I am totally digging it.  Which also raises the question, I haven't heard what a PLU 87 sounds like, just Ripter's Mega Keyboard Sound Roundup, so it may sound to me like I'm ordering a cruise missile strike, but it may sound high and thin to you.

Edit: Well, scratch that, just listened to an ML-87 on Youtube.  About the same, just a bit more mechanical clickety-clackity.  I do notice that this Leopold has a ringing coming from the backplate, or the springs, which is interesting.
« Last Edit: Fri, 22 April 2011, 16:11:14 by drsauced »
Filco Ninja 104 Tactile w/Imsto PBT caps | Deck Legend Ice Linear | FC200RT Clear w/Danger Zone | Topre 87U 45g EK | '89 & '93 1391401 | Ping is Life

Offline myglc2

« Reply #21 on: Sat, 23 April 2011, 21:53:02 »
I would say the most studly keyboard I ever used was a Teletype Model ASR-33 attached to a PDP-10 mainframe used for helicopter flight simulations at Sikorsky aircraft in 1973.

Check it out: http://www.pdp8.net/asr33/videos.shtml

Offline chongyixiong

« Reply #22 on: Sun, 24 April 2011, 03:31:06 »
I dunno, to me the 'thock thock thock' of the Topre keycaps sound very manly and very heavenly to my ears.

Like a real gentleman at work, pounding away at the keys to create a better world. Ha.

Offline Keylamity

« Reply #23 on: Sun, 24 April 2011, 09:49:17 »
Buy this guy's old police cruiser keyboard.