Author Topic: Will Win7 accept Win2000's keyboard drivers?  (Read 1471 times)

Offline BucklingSpring

Will Win7 accept Win2000's keyboard drivers?
« on: Fri, 22 April 2011, 11:19:59 »
The short story is in the subject.

I learned to type in French in the 80's when to do a >è< you had to hit >'< first, then >e<
same for >à<. But é was assigned to a single key >/<.

This French driver was carried over until Windows 2000. MS changed it in XP while keeping the same driver filename. Since XP >à<, >è< and few others are assigned to a single key.

I was able to overwrite XP's by 2000's and get the legacy layout to work properly.

My new work laptop will come with Windows 7 and I was wondering if I'm going to be able to import the same old keyboard drivers in it.

I'm no AutoHotkey programmer but I guess I'll have to learn how to convert a sequence of keys to produce a single one. Ie creating a "longcut".

Otherwise do you know a Windows 7 application able to make custom Keyboard drivers?

Thanks.
In memory of smallfry 1996-2013
Boards I own, click ->
More
Ducky x2 (9008G2 Pro PBT/MX Green and Mini MX Red), Matias x2 (QP and Mini QP Dampened ALPS), Topre RealForce x4 (87U 55g/Digilog case, 103U-UW & 104UG High-Profile x2), Filco Majestouch x2 (TKL MX Blue & V2 AI 104 MX Blue), IBM-M x2 (BS & RD), Unicomp-M x5 (BS black on black x2, BS Ivory x2, QT Ultra-Classic), Deck x4 (Legend MX Black & MX Clear, Hassium & Francium w/ MX Brown), DAS III (MX Blue), KBT Pure Pro 60% (MX Red), NMB-RT8256CW+ x2 (black space invader), XArmor U9BL-S (MX Brown) given for free to someone I hate, CM X2 (Trigger/MX Green + Storm TKL/NovaTouch), TVS GOLD (MX Blue) and a many many more (NMB, DELL, MS, ATT, KeyTronic, Etc...)

Offline IanS

« Reply #1 on: Fri, 22 April 2011, 12:12:16 »
Do you know about the US-international keyboard layout? It sounds similar to what you're used to:
Code: [Select]
Press this key Then press this key Resulting character
'(APOSTROPHE) c, e, y, u, i, o, a ç, é, ý, ú, í, ó, á
`(ACCENT GRAVE) e, u, i, o, a è, ù, ì, ò, à

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306560

Offline BucklingSpring

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 22 April 2011, 12:28:09 »
Quote from: IanS;335563
Do you know about the US-international keyboard layout? It sounds similar to what you're used to:
Code: [Select]
Press this key Then press this key Resulting character
'(APOSTROPHE) c, e, y, u, i, o, a ç, é, ý, ú, í, ó, á
`(ACCENT GRAVE) e, u, i, o, a è, ù, ì, ò, à

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306560

Thank you, that's the spirit... But not what I'm looking for.

eg I need '(APOSTROPHE) e, resulting in è not é
and for that matter }c, resulting in ç

And since I type mostly in English, I don't use the French AZERTY layout. I type of standard US keyboards. It's also easyier for me because I have small hands and the wide LEFT-SHIFT is very good for me. The French AZERTY has a key between the LEFT-SHIFT and the Z which is very anoying.

Back to my question. Do Win7 (32bit) will accept a Win2000 legacy keyboard dll?
This quick and dirty work around worked for me like a charm.

I might as well go with the flow and relearn how to type differently. :(
Boards I own, click ->
More
Ducky x2 (9008G2 Pro PBT/MX Green and Mini MX Red), Matias x2 (QP and Mini QP Dampened ALPS), Topre RealForce x4 (87U 55g/Digilog case, 103U-UW & 104UG High-Profile x2), Filco Majestouch x2 (TKL MX Blue & V2 AI 104 MX Blue), IBM-M x2 (BS & RD), Unicomp-M x5 (BS black on black x2, BS Ivory x2, QT Ultra-Classic), Deck x4 (Legend MX Black & MX Clear, Hassium & Francium w/ MX Brown), DAS III (MX Blue), KBT Pure Pro 60% (MX Red), NMB-RT8256CW+ x2 (black space invader), XArmor U9BL-S (MX Brown) given for free to someone I hate, CM X2 (Trigger/MX Green + Storm TKL/NovaTouch), TVS GOLD (MX Blue) and a many many more (NMB, DELL, MS, ATT, KeyTronic, Etc...)

Offline Culinia

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 22 April 2011, 12:48:57 »
Hi there. Have you tried the Microsoft Keyboard Layout Creator?

I would imagine you could just load up the US International layout and just replace it with the chars you said...

File - load exiting keyboard - US International - right-click on the apostrophe key - 'properties for vk_oem_7 in all shift states... then click advanced view then click on the ... thing on the right.

This will take you here which I think you want

« Last Edit: Fri, 22 April 2011, 12:59:25 by Culinia »

Offline The Solutor

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 22 April 2011, 12:55:56 »
Look here, i had a similar problem.

My keymap uses `, then e to get è and alt graph+e to get é.

http://geekhack.org/showwiki.php?title=The+Solutors+UK+like+ANSI+Keymap+easy+diacritical+with+the+ANSI+keyboards
The problem with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are true  (Abraham Lincoln)

Offline BucklingSpring

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 22 April 2011, 14:02:04 »
@Culinia - Thanks that might be the way... Will it be compatible with the ALT-SHIFT shortcut to switch between keyboard layouts ie US<->French for that matter?
@The Solutor - Thanks as well, was this for Windows 7?

I'll get my Win7 Laptop Monday and will start experimenting with those options.
Boards I own, click ->
More

Offline The Solutor

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 22 April 2011, 18:44:15 »
It works for sure on win 7, win vista, win xp, x86, x64 or ia64, likely also win 2k is supported.
The problem with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are true  (Abraham Lincoln)

Offline False_Dmitry_II

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 22 April 2011, 22:07:58 »
I'd say to go ahead and try your old solution first. Then if it doesn't work, do the other stuff. Make a backup of the win7 original files.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin (11 Nov. 1755)