Author Topic: Can I sand off noppoo key caps?  (Read 2095 times)

Offline calavera

Can I sand off noppoo key caps?
« on: Fri, 22 April 2011, 16:21:02 »
Many of you noppoo owners are aware of their horrible prints on key caps. I was wondering if I could sand them off and still maintain their surface finish somehow?

I should be able to sand the letters off, correct? I'm thinking 200 grit sand paper for quick results then moving up to higher grit for the finish. I don't want them to be slippery smooth though.

I really like the thickness of the noppoo key caps and would like to turn them into semi-otaku key caps so they'll still have the secondary function letters on them. Has anyone tried this before?

Offline calavera

« Reply #1 on: Fri, 22 April 2011, 16:46:30 »
Quote from: ripster;335723
See my complete guide on Sandblasting.  In it are sanding recommendations and pics of results.

I'm not giving out links anymore to people over 100 posts.  

This will test the Search Function.  I think it's a bit buggy myself but am looking for feedback.

I'm not talking about sandblasting, nor am I going to buy equipment for it even if it's as cheap as your guide suggests. I didn't go through the entire discussion related to the guide though. Too lazy for that. :P
I'm going to use sandpaper only. Oh well, I think I'll just try it out and see what happens.

Offline gilgam

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 22 April 2011, 17:22:56 »
why ?

I use sandpaper on yellow double shots cherry keycaps, it works fine. It's time consuming but it works fine. I use 200-400 wet sandpaper (not soaked i have to test it thanks for the advice ;-)), and tested after some 80 sandpaper to get a rough texture like realforce pbt keycaps, not so bad.
Realforce 105 FR, HHKB Pro 2 black, 1 Raptor K1 Black Cherry and 1 Raptor K1 Red Cherry , Compag MX 11800  tBrown Cherry, G80-3000 Clear Cherry , G80-1000 Blue Cherry / Ghetto red, Lexmark 1992 SSK Buckling spring, Unicomp 2011 Customizer 102 Buckling spring
and a few rubber dome/scissors keyboards from Apple/Logitech