Author Topic: difference between Topre and HHKB  (Read 3305 times)

Offline brkim1324

difference between Topre and HHKB
« on: Fri, 22 April 2011, 16:31:40 »
From what I understand, Topre and HHKB use the same type of switches.
They are both great keyboards too.
I am looking to buy Topre or HHKB pro 2.
Topre Realforce are just standard layout keyboards and HHKB 2 has that
special layout easier to reach in more compact size.
Other than that, are there any major differences such as in feel?

How do they differ? And which do you recommend more? :P

« Reply #1 on: Fri, 22 April 2011, 17:05:02 »
Not to be a d!ck and just post a link but this topic is cover so well here already...

i have owned both boards and i recommend the realforce; one of the best built keyboards i have ever touched. Even with that i do like some of the other switches better than the topre and therefore i dont used the realforce as a daily driver.
/// Current
Leopold 87 White MX | Filco 104 Brown | BlackWidow | WhiteWidow  |  TG3 Deck | 2x NIB  Dell AT101W | NIB  Dell QuietKey | IBM 3278 | Logitech NetPlay | Logitech G15 v2 | Saitek Eclipse v1 | Apple A1314 | Logitech K700
/// Past
HHKB Pro 2 | Realforce 86UB

Offline Arc'xer

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 22 April 2011, 17:18:14 »
Both use the same topre switches though technically the HHKB offers the much desired 45g uniform that so many want on the realforce; which Topre seems to ignore except in certain models.

The primary difference is the quality and inspection(quality control team) of the realforce compared to the HHKB. The realforce is built better and has a metallic plate, not to say the HHKB is built bad it's just built for a different purpose. But either way both are quality boards.

Offline gilgam

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 22 April 2011, 17:19:03 »
Realforce : Very nice keyboard, heavy, solid, surdy, , the touch feeling is quite light, the keycap are very nice
HHKB : Less solid keyboard, Layout, i like better the touche feeling, Layout, small size, Layout, detachable cable , did i mention the layout ? ;-)

Unfortunately on the topre keybaord you can't have fun to change keycaps to fancy, original, ugly ones (except topre ones and Cliclack's)

Buy both ;-)
Realforce 105 FR, HHKB Pro 2 black, 1 Raptor K1 Black Cherry and 1 Raptor K1 Red Cherry , Compag MX 11800  tBrown Cherry, G80-3000 Clear Cherry , G80-1000 Blue Cherry / Ghetto red, Lexmark 1992 SSK Buckling spring, Unicomp 2011 Customizer 102 Buckling spring
and a few rubber dome/scissors keyboards from Apple/Logitech

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 22 April 2011, 17:39:03 »
There's a bunch of people here who prefer the feel of the RealForce boards over that of the HHKB Pro models. They're probably right, I can't compare them because I don't own a RealForce.

That said, there's a reason I own two HHKB Pros, and it's the layout. The keys are very well made and to me are probably the best I've ever used, but I'm not going to say they're the best in the world.

It's quite easy; if you want a seriously compact (and also very portable) keyboard with a unix/terminal/emacs-centric layout, then you're not going to go for a RealForce. The HHKB kicks ass in that domain, and it has Topre switches.
Current collection: HHKB Pro 2 black on black, HHKB Pro 2 white/grey blank, [strike]Dell AT101W[/strike] (sold to SirClickAlot), 1992 Model M, Key Tronic Ergoforce KT 2001, BTC 5100 C. Dead boards: MS Natural Elite, MS Natural 4000.

Offline brkim1324

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 22 April 2011, 23:18:12 »
ahhh thanks for all the comments! :)
I actually just ordered HHKB2 from elite keyboards.. Should I then change it to Realforce?
:( What do you think?

Offline n12

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 23 April 2011, 01:20:44 »
Quote from: brkim1324;335942
ahhh thanks for all the comments! :)
I actually just ordered HHKB2 from elite keyboards.. Should I then change it to Realforce?
:( What do you think?
There's no real definitive answer. Which do YOU like better? If you like the HHKB layout enough to buy one over a Realforce, stick with what you bought :]

Offline brkim1324

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 23 April 2011, 01:36:13 »
There's no real definitive answer. Which do YOU like better? If you like the HHKB layout enough to buy one over a Realforce, stick with what you bought :]

I never really tried the HHKB layout, but if I get used to it, I think I will be fine.. but in the price and quality wise, r they quite similar?
For normal usage like web browsing, typing, and gaming, does HHKB lack alot? :(

Offline gilgam

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 23 April 2011, 01:54:59 »
arrows...
Realforce 105 FR, HHKB Pro 2 black, 1 Raptor K1 Black Cherry and 1 Raptor K1 Red Cherry , Compag MX 11800  tBrown Cherry, G80-3000 Clear Cherry , G80-1000 Blue Cherry / Ghetto red, Lexmark 1992 SSK Buckling spring, Unicomp 2011 Customizer 102 Buckling spring
and a few rubber dome/scissors keyboards from Apple/Logitech

Offline n12

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 23 April 2011, 02:35:45 »
Quote from: brkim1324;335992
I never really tried the HHKB layout, but if I get used to it, I think I will be fine.. but in the price and quality wise, r they quite similar?
For normal usage like web browsing, typing, and gaming, does HHKB lack alot? :(
It depends on the person. Most games I play don't use the traditional arrow keys(most of the time WASD instead) or F1-F12, and I typically never use them for anything else, so it wouldn't be a problem for me. But you aren't me. No, using a HHKB for "web browsing" and "typing" won't cause you any problems. A HHKB can accomplish everything that most all keyboards can except you may have to use the Fn layer.

They are both similar in price.

Offline hcry4

• HHKB Hoarder
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 24 April 2011, 11:55:34 »
Quote from: ripster;336506
They are both stupidly expensive.  And both maybe 10-20% higher quality than Filcos/Leopolds.  In economics this is called, "Diminishing Returns".

I own a few and I definitely agree with "diminishing returns" to describe them. It's similar to buying $400+ earphones/headphones.

Offline noodles256

• le legendary
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 24 April 2011, 12:31:26 »
if you don't like your hhkb pro 2, I will trade you my 86uw
AF | Ducky YOTD |

Offline hcry4

• HHKB Hoarder
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 24 April 2011, 13:09:43 »
Quote from: noodles256;336603
if you don't like your hhkb pro 2, I will trade you my 86uw

Don't get me wrong, it's still my favorite keyboard; it's why I have 3 of them. Although things might change when I get the Poker.

Offline noodles256

• le legendary
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 24 April 2011, 13:40:42 »
Quote from: hcry4;336614
Don't get me wrong, it's still my favorite keyboard; it's why I have 3 of them. Although things might change when I get the Poker.

I meant to direct that to OP lol. I really want white lettered so I can use it with my mac
AF | Ducky YOTD |

Offline ironman31

« Reply #14 on: Sun, 24 April 2011, 22:32:20 »
I hated the feel of the HHKB compared to the Realforce so much that I had to sell it. The layout was great, but I couldn't justify spending that much money for sub-par feel. Of course, sometimes I do have sellers regret, but then it goes away when I realize I have a 91UBY, which is definitely the best keyboard I own.
Keyboards:
IBM Model M Space Saving Keyboard (Used), HHKB Pro 2 (White, Lettered), Realforce 87U all-45g in White, Filco Majestouch 2 TKL with Cherry MX Browns, Model F PC/ATNoppoo Choc Mini (MX Browns), Model F XT, IBM Model M 1397735 (bought NIB), (2) Siig Minitouch (GHSS) one with XM, one with complicated ALPs (modded),2 Dell AT101W, Cherry G80-11900HRMUS (modded with MX browns)

Pointing Devices:
Logitech G500, Evoluent VerticalMouse 3, Logitech G5, CST 2545W, Microsoft IntelliMouse Trackball, Logitech M570, Logitech MX revolution