Author Topic: Recommandation  (Read 4148 times)

Offline bxt

Recommandation
« on: Tue, 10 May 2011, 15:50:46 »
Hi guys,

I am looking to buy a mechanical keyboard with cherry mx blue or cherry mx brown switches. I have been using Blackwidow for couple of days, but i dont really like the keyboard due to macro key placement and gimmicky design. I have pretty much ruled out XArmor as well, due to questionable quality and build design.

Features i am looking for:

- mx blue/brown switch
- multimedia keys (important)
- no macro keys
- no backlit
- wrist wrest (optional)
- european layout - large enter/shift/backspace (optional)

I am not sure if a keyboard with such a feature mix even exists, you guys will surely know ;)

(meh, typo in the thread title)
« Last Edit: Tue, 10 May 2011, 15:53:38 by bxt »

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
Recommandation
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 10 May 2011, 16:02:46 »
A filco full would do you fine, except for the multimedia key requirement. I've always gotten around that by using AutoHotkey and assigning Win+Numpad combinations for media playback.

Offline M4R5

Recommandation
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 10 May 2011, 16:05:03 »
I haven't seen it mentioned here much, but you might like the SteelSeries 7G.

Offline HaveANiceDay

Recommandation
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 10 May 2011, 16:12:19 »
It all depends on your budget.
Filco Tenkeyless Brown with beige cherry doubleshots (home)
Realforce 86U (work)
Get you own Phantom NAO!

Offline NimbleRabit

Recommandation
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 10 May 2011, 16:18:33 »
I don't think there's a lot of options with mediakeys in blue/brown, although I'm not sure.  If I were you I'd just use autohotkey instead, but if you must have media keys I believe the Zowie Celeritas might fit the bill.  You could also check out the Adesso.
« Last Edit: Tue, 10 May 2011, 16:21:57 by NimbleRabit »

Offline M4R5

Recommandation
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 10 May 2011, 16:43:45 »
You could ask The Oracle. I'd like to see his answer.

http://deskthority.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=49

Offline bxt

Recommandation
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 10 May 2011, 18:54:12 »
Quote from: M4R5;344587
I haven't seen it mentioned here much, but you might like the SteelSeries 7G.
7G uses cherry mx black switches

Quote from: HaveANiceDay;344589
It all depends on your budget.

no budget really, i'd be happier if it was reasonably priced though

Offline BaconKnight

Recommandation
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 10 May 2011, 19:14:06 »
Yeah the multimedia keys make that a hard find. Closest I can think of is a mx brown or blue Noppoo Choc Mini. It has volume control/mute/skip forward and back buttons but it doesn't have every single function like play/pause, stop, etc. Also some people don't like the dark printing of the keys. I actually like em and like the feel of the keys better than I do on my other keyboards, so it's all subjective.

If you can get over the media keys, I'd probably just recommend what other people have said and just get a Filco or Leopold. I'd recommend the tenkeyless variant personally unless you need the tenkey for work/school. Once you get used to the closer mouse position and go back to a full size keyboard, you realize how off center you have to hold your right arm out for regular keyboard mousing.
Leopold FC200RC/AB
Noppoo Choc Mini
TG3 Data911
Cherry G80-8113LRCUS
IBM Model M 1391401
SIIG Minitouch 1903
Dell AT101W GYUM90SK

Image Gallery

Offline pitashen

Recommandation
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 10 May 2011, 20:32:02 »
Given the mediakey being important, this crossed my mind: DSI Mac Modular.

It is what I am using, on both mac and pc, but I don't think it will look appealing to you, so are many others here.
\\\\ DSI Mac Modular Keyboard (Brown) w/ Leo  Blank Keycaps //
\\\\ Leopold 87keys Keyboard (Brown) w/ Black CherryCorp + SP DoubleShots //
\\\\ Filco Majestouch 2 NINJA (Black) w/ White CherryCorp + SP DoublsShots //

Offline Zet

Recommandation
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 10 May 2011, 23:52:50 »
by european layout, which one in specific do you have in mind?

I been around the same lines for months, and thought a lot about, the best option, which is no longer an option anymore is to try to get an old Das keyboard III not the model S with the european layout 105 keys. It haves the media keys support, and everything you want, but this is no longer sold, and the whole series was dragged back to DAS due some problems, and then they released model S but without the media keys.

Depending on how important is the layout for you, I would recommend to get a regular keyboard, and beforehand test autohotkey functions for media control, so that is no longer a requirement at the time of your search.

Offline bxt

Recommandation
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 12 May 2011, 09:04:51 »
I have noticed people on this forum refer to european layout, when the keyboard has large enter. It is not requirement, but i never used a keyboard with small enter, and it might take me a while to get use to it.

Zowie Celeritas seems like an ideal mix. Anyone here have experience with this keyboard? How is it for typing?

Offline noodles256

• le legendary
Recommandation
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 12 May 2011, 09:17:20 »
just get s topre
AF | Ducky YOTD |

Offline The Solutor

Recommandation
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 12 May 2011, 09:29:15 »
Quote from: bxt;344579
I have pretty much ruled out XArmor as well, due to questionable quality and build design.

It's an urban legend, btw one of the two limits of Xarmor is the linear enter.

Personally i found that the stupid enter is balanced the other great features, and I bought it.

I have noticed people on this forum refer to european layout, when the keyboard has large enter. It is not requirement, but i never used a keyboard with small enter, and it might take me a while to get use to it.

European layout has 105 keys has the reversed L Enter key, the one found on zowie celereitas or steelseries 6gv2 is the one nicknamed big asian.
The problem with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are true  (Abraham Lincoln)

Offline Zensuji

Recommandation
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 12 May 2011, 09:41:19 »
Quote from: bxt;345320

Zowie Celeritas seems like an ideal mix. Anyone here have experience with this keyboard? How is it for typing?

I was typing on UK layout for 25 years but much prefer US layout after switching. Took no time at all to get use to.

Offline The Solutor

Recommandation
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 12 May 2011, 10:10:54 »
Quote from: Zensuji;345335
I was typing on UK layout for 25 years but much prefer US layout after switching. Took no time at all to get use to.

Exactly the opposite I did.

I always used the IT layout for everyday usage and the US for shell/programming applications, then i discovered the UK one which is way better of both: way better than US international to write accented letters, way better than IT to use the shell symbols.
Now I'm forced to use an ansi keyboard but I modded the layout to get it working as the UK one.
The problem with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are true  (Abraham Lincoln)

Offline mmmty

• bang! bang!
Recommandation
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 12 May 2011, 10:11:28 »
Quote from: bxt;344579
Hi guys,
Features i am looking for:

- mx blue/brown switch  :smile:
- multimedia keys (important)  :smile:
- no macro keys :smile: have some extra keys above num lock
- no backlit  :smile:
- wrist wrest (optional)  :smile:
- european layout - large enter/shift/backspace (optional)

Get Ducky. It has everything you want except the european layout.
Keyboardless