Author Topic: First Mechanical Keyboard - Das? / keycap replacements?  (Read 1618 times)

Offline dethredic

First Mechanical Keyboard - Das? / keycap replacements?
« on: Fri, 13 May 2011, 09:39:04 »
I am looking to upgrade from my G15 to a mechanical keyboard. Currently I was thinking of the Das model S because I can get it for $100 shipped in Canada, and I kinda like the look (although I know it will get fingerprinty) and I want the numberpad. I will probably go with the brown switches because I don't think I will like the clicky noise although I am thinking of going to best buy and picking up a blackwidow then return it after trying out the blue switches.

I am wondering if there are any blank coloured keycap replacements for the Das (for more than just wasd/esc). I have seem some for flicky keyboards, but I am not sure how compatible they are.. I know they will fit but what about height / shape etc? Any other opinions or thoughts?

Offline mmmty

• bang! bang!
Ultimate Das Vader
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 13 May 2011, 11:10:11 »
Why don't you just get the Ultimate version that already has all the blank keys? I just ordered one from Newegg. I've been wanting a Das since the first version. 20% off plus $60 from the Unicomp I just sold made me pull the trigger.
Oh! you probably meant coloured keycaps like white, red, or other colors. In that case, you can try a dye job. I'm still waiting for my Rit dye order so I can try it.
« Last Edit: Fri, 13 May 2011, 11:15:51 by mmmty »
Keyboardless

Offline dethredic

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 13 May 2011, 11:14:09 »
I will get the ultimate, but it would be nice to have pretty coloured blank keys as well.

Offline mmmty

• bang! bang!
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 13 May 2011, 11:24:48 »
I found the thread here. Supposedly Ducky or Filco keycaps will work. Nice to know.
« Last Edit: Fri, 13 May 2011, 11:27:39 by mmmty »
Keyboardless

Offline noodles256

• le legendary
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 13 May 2011, 13:39:33 »
wlcm 2 gh
AF | Ducky YOTD |

Offline brkim1324

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 14 May 2011, 00:26:25 »
filco ones just work fine. Leopold ones I heard are little bit lower.. or maybe it was higher. It does fit, but the height is a little bit out of the place I heard.
I had Ultimate, and I loved it. Although the build quality didn't satisfy me so I returned it. But it's still a great keyboard.