Author Topic: What's the going rate for a bag of switches?  (Read 2955 times)

Offline Jim66

What's the going rate for a bag of switches?
« on: Fri, 13 May 2011, 09:58:08 »
I was just wondering how much people pay for a complete set of switches.

I'm after a complete set of Cherry browns and I also have a two sets of hardly used orange ALPS that I want to sell.

I take it Orange ALPS will be worth more than Cherry browns?

Thanks,

Jim.

Offline ironman31

« Reply #1 on: Fri, 13 May 2011, 10:01:14 »
might depend on the condition
Keyboards:
IBM Model M Space Saving Keyboard (Used), HHKB Pro 2 (White, Lettered), Realforce 87U all-45g in White, Filco Majestouch 2 TKL with Cherry MX Browns, Model F PC/ATNoppoo Choc Mini (MX Browns), Model F XT, IBM Model M 1397735 (bought NIB), (2) Siig Minitouch (GHSS) one with XM, one with complicated ALPs (modded),2 Dell AT101W, Cherry G80-11900HRMUS (modded with MX browns)

Pointing Devices:
Logitech G500, Evoluent VerticalMouse 3, Logitech G5, CST 2545W, Microsoft IntelliMouse Trackball, Logitech M570, Logitech MX revolution

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 13 May 2011, 10:14:02 »
The cost usually goes down significantly when you simply buy an old board and strip them out yourself. Compaq mx11800 would be my first choice for browns.

Offline Jim66

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 13 May 2011, 14:12:06 »
Ok, well I'll have a couple of sets of Orange ALPS in the for sale section in the next couple of days if anyone is interested.

Offline False_Dmitry_II

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 13 May 2011, 14:53:46 »
Did you ever look at the internals of pink alps to see why its a thing?
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin (11 Nov. 1755)

Offline Jim66

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 13 May 2011, 15:04:45 »
Quote from: False_Dmitry_II;345840
Did you ever look at the internals of pink alps to see why its a thing?

It's a thing? I don't get what you mean?

Offline False_Dmitry_II

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 13 May 2011, 15:08:10 »
Why it exists. It's a phrase I use, could be just american.

All the other alps colors have at least one difference on the inside of the switch. There is no information on pink alps in the wiki, because nobody has taken one apart yet to look for it apparently. You had said earlier that you would. So I was asking about that.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin (11 Nov. 1755)

Offline Jim66

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 13 May 2011, 15:10:27 »
Ohhhh yeah now I remember, no I didn't get around to that. I'll do it tomorrow and post up some pictures.

Offline Jim66

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 14 May 2011, 11:09:43 »
Quote from: False_Dmitry_II;345851
Why it exists. It's a phrase I use, could be just american.

All the other alps colors have at least one difference on the inside of the switch. There is no information on pink alps in the wiki, because nobody has taken one apart yet to look for it apparently. You had said earlier that you would. So I was asking about that.

I opened up some pink ALPS this morning and there is nothing special about them. The switch plate is just the same as the white/cream ones (that is, it doesn't go all of the way to the bottom of the switch). So it appears as though the orange and blue ALPS are the only ones to have the full length switch plate.

I couldn't get any decent pictures as my camera is crappy and it would not focus in that close for some reason...

So there you have it.

Offline Jim66

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 14 May 2011, 11:24:11 »
The orange seems to be a tiny little bit longer than the cream and blue, which both appear to be the same size.

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 18122[/ATTACH]

Difficult as I can't really count the coils, they all look to have to same to me. The Orange spring is determinately a mm or so longer that the other two though.

The pink spring is more of a brassy colour than the other two too..
« Last Edit: Sat, 14 May 2011, 11:29:36 by Jim66 »

Offline Soarer

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 14 May 2011, 11:40:36 »
Length is a major factor too. Once you put a spring in a switch, it's compressed to about 10mm. Obviously that's the same for all Cherry switch types, not sure about Alps. A longer spring will be compressed more, which has the effect of moving the whole trace on the force graph upwards. It's the 'c' in y = m * x + c.
« Last Edit: Sat, 14 May 2011, 11:44:47 by Soarer »

Offline False_Dmitry_II

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 14 May 2011, 11:43:23 »
Could just be the material of the spring is different then. Since its the only one with a different color.