Author Topic: Ducky DK9087G2 Pro: Help Me Choose!  (Read 12154 times)

Offline cluny

Ducky DK9087G2 Pro: Help Me Choose!
« on: Wed, 31 October 2012, 21:41:24 »
Hey I'm new to GH and somewhat new to mechs.
     I'm shopping for a keyboard and I'm dead-set on making a purchase by tomorrow. My first choice was the new Leo fc700r but since I live in the states, it's proven too difficult to get my hands on one. I'm an FPS/RTS gamer and a bit of a blogger/tech writer so I already have an opinion about which features I'd like to see in my "daily driver" keyboard. Cherry MX Reds and preferably removable USB cable, Costar stabilizers, blank PBT caps. Not to say that I'm terribly picky; I know I'm not going to get the perfect keyboard.
     I've narrowed it down to 3 options, and detailed my worries about each below:

a. Ducky DK9087G2 PRO(http://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=190) I can't find much info on this particular model, but some of the new features I've noticed make me hopeful e.g. It looks like they changed the USB cable routing channels to be less damaging to the cable. Afaik, this is the first Ducky to sport PBT caps which is a BIG plus for me. Unfortunately I've heard talk of older ducky models that they just can't compete with Filco build quality. My chief worry about this board is that I can't tell what type of stabilizers it has. I tend to prefer the sound of a costar space bar. I'm also sort of enamored with the whole two-tone vibe the linked model above has going on.

b. Filco Majestouch 2 tkl(http://www.amazon.com/Filco-Majestouch-2-Tenkeyless-FKBN87MRL-EW2/dp/B0081FAFYC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1351736053&sr=8-2&keywords=filco+majestouch+2+tenkeyless) No features whatsoever!? It sounds amazing as a typist board and I don't like superfluous features like backlighting, but this thing doesn't even have a removable USB. Also, I can't seem to find it with my preferred combination of Cherry Reds, TKL, and blank caps(or "ninja").

c. Leopold fc200r (http://elitekeyboards.com/products.php?sub=leopold,tenkeyless&pid=fc200rrabn) Cherry stabilizers and ABS caps. other than that, it seems like a really solid board.

If anybody has info or advice that can help I'd deeply appreciate it. Tell me what you think.
Thanks a ton!
A mechanical keyboard engages all the senses but smell and taste. Which is why you should always type with a hot coffee at your side. -Shawn Blanc
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old & Busted: daskeyboard 3 Pro, Razer Lycosa
New Hotness: Ducky 9087G2 Pro

Offline furosuto81

• Facebook
Re: Ducky DK9087G2 Pro: Help Me Choose!
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 31 October 2012, 22:03:37 »
I don't have any of those specific boards, but all my Ducky boards have Cherry stabilizers, and so does my Leopold. I've never had a Filco board of any type, but I have a hard time thinking how the build quality could be any better on the Ducky or Leopold. Both have removable USB and good rubber pads.

No matter what board you can get, you could always get blank PBT caps for it separately. If you're willing to do that, you could also add the CMStorm Quickfire Rapid since that has Costar stabilizers and can be had with MX Reds.
« Last Edit: Wed, 31 October 2012, 22:09:23 by furosuto81 »
Keyboards: Matias Quiet Pro Matias Quiet Click  |  Apple Extended Keyboard II Dampened White ALPS  |  KBParadise V80 Olivette Matias Quiet Click  |  CMStorm QuickFire TK B&W Special Edition White LED Cherry MX Red  |  Ducky DK9087S Shine 2 TKL White LED Cherry MX Red

Offline cluny

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 01 November 2012, 02:54:29 »
Thanks, I needed that reassurance before picking up a Ducky, and that is an excellent idea for the CM Storm. I think what I'll do is order that Ducky first(mainly for the Ducky name), and if it turns out the stabilizers really do bother me I can return it for a minimal fee and do what you said with the CM Storm. They come out to a similar price when you add a cap set on top of the CM Storm.
A mechanical keyboard engages all the senses but smell and taste. Which is why you should always type with a hot coffee at your side. -Shawn Blanc
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline lazerpointer

• ya gotta stay phresh
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 01 November 2012, 03:15:48 »
The Cherry stabilizers are fine. They may be stiff to start off, but in my experience they get "worn in" and the only thing that bothers me now about my DKS2 that I have at home, is the squeakiness in the space bar. I'm contemplating a lube solution for the stabilizers that I don't have to order online... But yeah I think Ducky makes the best boards, and I've tried a ton of different brands..... The QFR I have at work is a bit louder and "clackier" than the Shine 2.
i type, therefore i geekhack

Offline cluny

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 03 November 2012, 09:37:33 »
Thanks for the input. I'll have my board by Thursday. Since it seems I'll be the very first G2 Pro owner in the universe, I'll be sure to share the important details and upload some worthwhile photos for those interested in the board. I know I had a hard time finding good first-hand reviews. It's strange because it seems like Ducky really made some big changes for the better with the PRO series.

Offline Vintage

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 04 November 2012, 19:31:40 »
Yeah Im a bit interested in this board. Still deciding what board I want to get but I really want PBT caps.
CM QFR w/ MX Reds  | Logitech G900

Offline KuhnTang

• Game of Thrones
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 09 November 2012, 17:01:43 »
Thanks for the input. I'll have my board by Thursday. Since it seems I'll be the very first G2 Pro owner in the universe, I'll be sure to share the important details and upload some worthwhile photos for those interested in the board. I know I had a hard time finding good first-hand reviews. It's strange because it seems like Ducky really made some big changes for the better with the PRO series.

It's Friday, where's the pics/review????

I ordered the same keyboard (Ducky DK9087G2 PRO, with white PBT key caps) and was also frustrated that their aren't any reviews on it out there yet.  I just checked and mine is at my door waiting for me.  I currently have a DAS Keyboard Professional (brown cherry mx switches), ordered (blue cherry mx) on the ducky though.  I know it's not a direct comparison considering the difference is switches and tenkeyless vs full size, however, I'll be comparing the Ducky DK9087G2 PRO to the DAS later tonight or this weekend.  I'll try to post pics if i can.  I'm also leaning on getting a RealForce for my rig at home, which will also get a comparason, but that's not until early next year, maybe Jan or Feb.

Offline KuhnTang

• Game of Thrones
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 09 November 2012, 22:03:43 »
This is what I had waiting for me at the door when I came home from work. 

Review:
first off I have to say that I wasn't super excited about the color scheme when I was looking at it on the computer, however I bought it because it had PBT keycaps and blue switches and I've been wanting to try both of them out.  That being said, looking at this keyboard with my own eyes is very pleasing and I'm very happy with how it looks.  On to the the PBT Keycaps.  They're pretty nice.  Their isn't that huge of a difference from ABS keycaps like other reviewers will have you believe, but there is a difference, and I do think I prefer the PBT.  All the keys are functional, there is no ringing in any of the keys, and it feels VERY solid and constructed very well.  I had to say that before this stipulation, with the feet propped up to give you a better angle to type, this keyboard slides all over my desk, I hate it, and I like to type with the feed up so that sucks for me.  This isn't a typical keyboard, and it has a slight angle even without the feet out, so I guess it's not a deal breaker, but on a (It buggs the hell out of me rating) I'll give it a 7.  I would go as far as to say that is my only gripe on this keyboard.  Ohh, I forgot, this isn't a big deal to me, but it has a detachable USB to mini USB cable.  Some people love it, some hate it, I'm truly indifferent. 

The comparison: Ducky dk9087g2 pro (cherry mx blue switches) vs DAS full size (cherry mx brown switches)
keycaps: 
The ducky has superior keycaps with the PBT plastic.  The ABS isn't bad on the DAS, but some complain of letters wearing off and keycaps getting shinny.  I've had the DAS for about a year and the keycaps look fine.  The PBT plastic just feels different/better.
Advantage: Ducky

Construction:
 Both are very solid keyboards, both constructed very well, but I hate one thing about each keyboard.  I hate the feet on the Ducky, has almost same feet as DAS, but DAS doesn't slide(as much) as the ducky with the feet out.  That being said, even as I'm typing this I think I'm getting used to not having them out because of the angle they already have.  The thing I hate about the DAS is the stupid shinny part on the keyboard that you have to clean constantly or it collects dust.  I don't even like the shine when it's clean.  Too flashy for me. 
Advantage: I wanted to give it a tie, but I have to give slight edge to Ducky

Size:
I didn't want to rate this since they are so different, but then I thought DAS doesn't even offer a tenkeyless which I prefer.  This is my first tenkeyless keyboard and I like having my mouse closer.  I know it's ever so close, maybe 4 inches, but it makes a surprising difference.  I know some people love and need their number pad, but they aren't writing this review.
Advantage: Ducky

both noise reviews are not a reflection of either manufacturer, rather the switches used in each, each manufacturer provides both blues and browns.  I prefer blues, the audible click is very pleasing, funny to say, but true.  The browns don't feel mushy like some people say, but now that I've tried blues, I'd say the browns don't provide as much of a tactile bump as the blues, even though it shows as almost identical on the pressure graphs shown on some websites. 
Noise(Quiet):
Some people say their isn't a difference in noise level, just pitch, with the blue switches having a higher pitch, they're wrong.  The blue switches really are noticeably louder. 
Advantage: DAS(brown switches)

Noise(pleasure to hear):
when I'm typing away, part of the reason I like to type on a mechanical keyboard is it involves your senses in the typing.  I hear a pleasurable (click clack), someone should copyright that, when I hit the keyboard forming words.  it pulls your senses in and makes you better connected.  I just like it.  A LOT.  This isn't a reflection on either keyboard as I chose which switches came on each keyboard, but I prefer the blues if noise is not a concern, like an open office environment.
Advantage: Ducky (blue switches)

With all that said.  I love the ducky and would still pick it above the DAS for all the reasons listed above.  The whole reason I was still looking for another keyboard is that I wasn't satisfied with the DAS.  The DAS is good and I'm sure some people will prefer it over the Ducky, I'm just not one of them.  If I can get over this feet propping thing, I think the Ducky might be the perfect keyboard (for me). 

I hope this helps.

Offline pitashen

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 09 November 2012, 22:44:55 »

With all that said.  I love the ducky and would still pick it above the DAS for all the reasons listed above.  The whole reason I was still looking for another keyboard is that I wasn't satisfied with the DAS.  The DAS is good and I'm sure some people will prefer it over the Ducky, I'm just not one of them.  If I can get over this feet propping thing, I think the Ducky might be the perfect keyboard (for me). 

Na, despite Das being well built, most of geekhackers tend to pick something else over Das. Its simply too fat and too shiny.
\\\\ DSI Mac Modular Keyboard (Brown) w/ Leo  Blank Keycaps //
\\\\ Leopold 87keys Keyboard (Brown) w/ Black CherryCorp + SP DoubleShots //
\\\\ Filco Majestouch 2 NINJA (Black) w/ White CherryCorp + SP DoublsShots //

Offline Skull_Angel

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 10 November 2012, 00:03:56 »
...simply too fat and too shiny.

So many jokes to be made from this quote...

Offline cluny

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 10 November 2012, 05:30:02 »
Hey all,

I started writing earlier, but postponed for a bit so I could include more detail. My apologies to kuhn if my tardiness caused the extra work of reviewing. I’ll include my review here anyway, and hopefully between the both of them we’ll provide an even more thorough resource.

I'm pretty new to mechanical keyboards, this community, and any serious typing in general, but I decided I should share my impressions of my new keyboard because there is so little info to be had concerning it. Since most of the info I found on the 9008G2 Pro goes for this board too, I'm going to try to limit this review to highlighting the differences.

Just today, I received my new Ducky 9087G2 Pro from Mechanicalkeyboards.com(Tiger Imports) with Cherry Red switches and blank white PBT caps on. It came in a typical Ducky box with the usual hard plastic protective cover and a 2-meter USB cable. The "User Manual" is actually for a 9008G2 Pro, but, aside from the illustration, it is accurate for this model too. There was no PS/2 adapter included because of a really neat new trick Ducky has taught this keyboard: full N-key rollover on USB! I can only assume this means they've worked some techno-magic with the buffer to funnel key presses down USB. What this means for response times on any key presses that don't immediately register, I don't know, but I imagine any lag caused by that effect would be negligible. What I know is that this means we get hot-swapping and OS controlled repeat rate combined with N-key rollover -- just heavenly.

This keyboard has 4 blue LEDs that, when activated with a combination of Fn+F9, will individually backlight the WASD keys. They aren't overly bright at all, and only a soft glow around the edges and through the upper-middle of the caps is visible even in the dark; this might make for a cool effect on keys with actual fonts. On the subject of lighting, the scroll lock and caps lock keys have small, round, clear plastic inserts in the upper-middle of the caps with a blue LED beneath that activates with the respective functions of each key. This is a TKL board so no numlock naturally.

Since my keycaps are blank, I had to refer to the "User Manual" for my media keys(basic media functions are performed with Fn+F1-F7).

While they weren't exactly what I was expecting as a PBT first timer, these keycaps feel brilliant, and are similar in looseness to my daskeyboard 3 Pro; Apart from that, they are different in every way, and I'm loving it. The das feels like it has a sort of coating on its black keys that makes them somehow slip resistant while these PBT caps feel raw and clean, and slide freely under hand. One thing I noticed while admiring the keycaps up-close was that unlike other keycap molds I’ve seen, these appear to have been poured from the rear, top corner just behind the edge. Invisible from normal typing position, there are tiny imperfections behind the tops of the keys where the plastic was poured.

Having now felt both Cherry and daskeyboard's costar-like stabilizers I finally understand what it is everyone is talking about, and I gotta say I have no problem with either type(no pun intended). It may be that since I'm using Red switches the stabilizers don't make as much of a tactile difference, but it seems to me that the Cherry style is a more robust and flexible design. However, I'll admit there is a tiny bit of squeakiness in my spacebar action. It hasn't bothered me yet, and I hear you can fix it with grease. But it is there.

It turns out the USB cable routing channels are just as bad as previous Duckys. There is so little space for the cable to turn entering and exiting the channel that removing the cable often could eventually damage it, and leaving it in the channel will eventually kink it. Also, it almost completely defeats the purpose of have routing channels when all they do is move your cable over a few inches. I expected these channels to route the cable out each side -- sadly not the case here. Thankfully, it is a standard USB cable, easily replaceable. This is why proper, modern boards have removable ones.

In conclusion, this is the finest board I have had the pleasure of sitting behind, and has completely replaced the rolls of both my Razer Lycosa for gaming and my daskeyboard for typing. I’ve even been bringing it to work with me these last couple of days as much for showing off as for practical use. I was going to include pics, but Kuhn beat me to it with a couple quality shots. If anyone wants more, pm or reply and I’ll be happy to post detailed pics. It looks like a Ducky...

Hope this has been helpful!

Offline KuhnTang

• Game of Thrones
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 10 November 2012, 09:30:21 »
Cluny, yours came with a manual?  mine didn't, only came with 4 red wasd keys and a key cap puller (crappy puller).  Also, I tried fn + f9 and mine don't light up?  the only keys that light up on mine are (caps lock) and (scroll lock), and both of those keys have the LED on the actual key cap.   Weird.

I decided to take another pic to show you guys the side profile so you can see why not having the legs proped out is not a problem on this keyboard.  The angle you get without legs on this keyboard is comparable to the angle you get with legs out on some cheep keyboards. 

And one last comment, the spacebar is kind of stiff on my board.  I heard they used green switches on the spacebar, which are just stiffer blues, but I haven't checked yet.

Offline MissMurd3r84

• In IRC wondering why Kmiller8 is yelling.
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 10 November 2012, 09:41:29 »
How does the led on the keycap work? o.0 Can't imagine how it would activate.
Unless you're confusing the small circle on the key that allows the light to shine through as the LED itself?
« Last Edit: Sat, 10 November 2012, 09:45:33 by MissMurd3r84 »
KBC Poker - Red switches. Noppoo Choc Mini - Black switches. Leopold FC700R (White) - Blue switches. Ducky YOTD - Brown switches. Razer BW - Blue switches and rusted.

Offline KuhnTang

• Game of Thrones
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 10 November 2012, 09:57:30 »
Unless you're confusing the small circle on the key that allows the light to shine through as the LED itself?

yeah, your right, just a small circle to let light through, activated upon depression of the key.

MissMurd3r.... I see you own the leopold FC700R.  That's the keyboard that I was trying to get, I don't think they have it available in US.  How do you like that one?

Offline MissMurd3r84

• In IRC wondering why Kmiller8 is yelling.
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 10 November 2012, 10:41:39 »

yeah, your right, just a small circle to let light through, activated upon depression of the key.

MissMurd3r.... I see you own the leopold FC700R.  That's the keyboard that I was trying to get, I don't think they have it available in US.  How do you like that one?
It's a nice solid feeling keyboard ^_^
KBC Poker - Red switches. Noppoo Choc Mini - Black switches. Leopold FC700R (White) - Blue switches. Ducky YOTD - Brown switches. Razer BW - Blue switches and rusted.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #15 on: Sat, 10 November 2012, 22:01:46 »
A good couple of reviews/comparisons, simple and to the point.

Hope you both enjoy your mechanical keyboards :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline cluny

« Reply #16 on: Sun, 11 November 2012, 04:55:30 »
That sounds like a pretty fundamental difference for keyboards with the same model name! Here are some pics of my board's backlighting and a detail shot of the scroll lock with its cap off:

You can see the LED nested in the upper edge of the switch itself.

All lights on under normal room lighting. The WASD LEDs are actually dimmer than the caps lock and scroll lock ones; it's not just the different caps.

Low light with the WASD Backlighting.

This is the user manual I found in the box. It details the media buttons and backlight toggle.

Just to clarify, the P/N printed on the back label is: Ducky KB 9087G2-R
And the S/N of my particular board is:SCDIZ10030
Theoretically, the only significant differences between our boards should be the S/N is a few digits off and the P/N should reflect you have Browns instead of Reds.

Offline KuhnTang

• Game of Thrones
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 29 November 2012, 11:56:37 »
UPDATE:

After only a couple weeks with my keyboard the freaking spacebar is squeeking.  Loudly!!!  It is soooooo annoying.  Does anyone know a way to fix this?

Offline lazerpointer

• ya gotta stay phresh
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 29 November 2012, 15:14:45 »
elitekeyboards.com has stabilizer lube.

Offline KuhnTang

• Game of Thrones
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 29 November 2012, 16:49:41 »
elitekeyboards.com has stabilizer lube.

Thanks Flip,

I see earlier that you had the same problem.  did you try the home remedy or did you order the stuff from elitekeyboards?  if either, did anything work?

Offline lazerpointer

• ya gotta stay phresh
« Reply #20 on: Thu, 29 November 2012, 22:20:57 »
TBH I think it will ease up over time - there was a point after I first bought it that it was loud as a mother. This lowered over time a lot. I have yet to try the grease sadly, out of pure laziness  ;D but I definitely know the squeak you're hearing is the cherry stabilizer.

Offline cluny

« Reply #21 on: Fri, 30 November 2012, 05:38:18 »
Couple weeks in, and I'm very happy with the board. I've found that I don't even use the USB routing channels, so their inferior design hasn't affected me as much as I feared. I got these O-rings: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0051XWXCE/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00, and put them on my 33 (qwerty - nm,./). The O-rings immediately helped my movement timing reliability in Counter-Strike, but bottoming-out just doesn't provide the same clacky satisfaction it used to. Definitely better to leave the O-rings off if not playing FPS games.

My Left Shift key, the button I use to "walk" in CS, feels a bit mushy, and I can't help but wonder if the Cherry stabilizer has something to do with that. I wonder if a bit of modding could solve it. Perhaps a more resistant spring is in order?

Spacebar has been pretty much fine. It has a distinctive squeak every once in a while; never loud or consistent enough for me to notice. Again, I imagine some silicone oil will fix that right up.
« Last Edit: Fri, 30 November 2012, 05:45:42 by cluny »