Author Topic: Help me find my next keyboard?  (Read 2812 times)

Offline sashi

Help me find my next keyboard?
« on: Tue, 06 January 2015, 00:11:27 »
I want to find a keyboard.. well... that I use, keep and still works for more than... 5years..?

My very first mechanical keyboard was the Das Ultimate with MX Blues. I liked it then it was a huge dust and fingerprint magnet because of the glossy finish. Since then I've owned a couple of Filco Majestouches, Leopold Otaku and the Code Keyboard.
My list of keyboards are not very long compared to most users here but it seems like I go through keyboards every year.

Right now I have a Filco Minila and I like it very much but for gaming.. I quickly found out that it isn't the right gaming keyboard. A couple of games requires to use the F keys and on the Filco the FN keys sometimes stick or don't respond at all so I sometimes the game is registering the 1 or 2 key instead of F1, F2.

I'm thinking of getting a Coolermaster Quickfire TK with the blues but how are the keycaps? I've heard they shine fast.
Should I just save up and get a topre? If I do I'm thinking of getting the Coolermaster Novatouch.

My budget would be around $100-$150 but I am willing to spend a bit more for a Topre if it will last me for years to come.

Oh right as for switches I prefer Reds and Blues. Browns are okay they feel a bit mushy. Greens are really heavy and tire my fingers really quickly. I never tried Blacks or Clears. If I can.. I would get a model M spacesaver but they are so expensive :( Back in highschool the IT room had one model m and it was a pleasure to type on

Edit: Oh and I'm looking for TKL versions as my desk is too small to fit a full size keyboard a huge mouse pad :P
« Last Edit: Tue, 06 January 2015, 00:17:33 by sashi »

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
Re: Help me find my next keyboard?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 06 January 2015, 00:55:09 »
Why don't you just get a model M keyboard?

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 06 January 2015, 03:07:28 »
Most CM keycaps are ... not that spectacular.  Including the Novatouch, unfortunately.  That's the first thing many Novatouch purchasers would do - replace the keycaps, probably with a nice PBT set.

What happened to all your other keyboard?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 06 January 2015, 04:24:45 »
where'd you put it?
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline Defect

• I collect keyboards and keyboard accessories
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 06 January 2015, 08:03:09 »
Just go for the SSK.

Not pictured: KeyCool 84 [MX Red] | Focus 2001 [Complicated White Alps]
Endgame Board | Defect's Watermelon Board Build Doc

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 06 January 2015, 08:45:20 »
Edit: Oh and I'm looking for TKL versions as my desk is too small to fit a full size keyboard a huge mouse pad :P

I hear this a lot.  One thing that you can try is having a 2-tier setup.  Keyboard on desk and using the keyboard drawer underneath the keyboard for the mouse and huge mousepad.  Is that something you might consider instead?  I've done that before.
« Last Edit: Tue, 06 January 2015, 08:47:33 by Snowdog993 »

Offline sashi

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 06 January 2015, 09:05:24 »

I hear this a lot.  One thing that you can try is having a 2-tier setup.  Keyboard on desk and using the keyboard drawer underneath the keyboard for the mouse and huge mousepad.  Is that something you might consider instead?  I've done that before.

That seems awkward to use

Just go for the SSK.

SSK?

Why don't you just get a model M keyboard?

They are expensive for a mint one

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 06 January 2015, 10:24:38 »

That just seems uncomfortable
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 06 January 2015, 10:29:49 »

That just seems uncomfortable

Not really.  It does work nicely if you are hurting for space.  I've done that more than once.  Just try it.  If you don't like it, well, that's okay too.

Edit: Sometimes I just have my keyboard in my lap, and the mouse on the desk too.  That's what I call "kicking back".

Offline sashi

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 06 January 2015, 14:39:09 »
Anyways... what is a good keyboard? Should I just save up and grab a Realforce or something?

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 06 January 2015, 14:50:17 »
http://pckeyboard.com/page/category/Classic

Maybe you can get one of these.  I don't know how else to help you.  Get the 103 key layout if you can.

Offline Khers

• Schrödinger's box
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 06 January 2015, 14:57:42 »
« Last Edit: Tue, 03 July 2018, 08:09:38 by Khers »

Offline sashi

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 06 January 2015, 15:27:34 »

Maybe you can get one of these.  I don't know how else to help you.  Get the 103 key layout if you can.

Hmm hows the quality on those?

They don't do tenkeyless do they?

Offline Defect

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 06 January 2015, 15:28:28 »
Do you like the feeling of collapsing domes?  If so just get a realforce.  I have two and they're great.  A bit overpriced IMO (I think they have $150-180 build quality).  They're just smooth rubber dome keyboards (capacitive, though, not membrane)

If you prefer having upward force from springs, especially if you like Linear, go MX.  I prefer tactile Alps over Tactile MX but Tactile MX ain't bad.

However, If you like clicky, get an SSK (TKL model M) or ALPS board.

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 06 January 2015, 15:36:31 »

Hmm hows the quality on those?

They don't do tenkeyless do they?

These people still make the model M keyboards.  Very good quality, I have no complaints with mine.

No, they don't do tenkeyless yet.
I suppose if that's what you're looking for, it might be some time before they do.
I think that's a fair answer.

« Last Edit: Tue, 06 January 2015, 15:38:02 by Snowdog993 »

Offline inanis

• Truly Literally The Cloud
  • * Destiny Supporter
    • SEALWoodworking
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 06 January 2015, 15:59:10 »
Anyways... what is a good keyboard? Should I just save up and grab a Realforce or something?
I still don't understand what was wrong with all those other boards? If you like the SSK (Model M Space Saver) get one of those. They are great! If not, I don't know what to tell you. Some more trial and error I suppose. Maybe TKL just isn't for you....try a Poker!  :p
Some hearts are gallows, I'm not here for hangin' around

Offline sashi

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 06 January 2015, 18:17:46 »
The issue with the Spacesaver is that its so expensive... its like $300 on ebay

Offline Defect

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 06 January 2015, 18:27:20 »
The issue with the Spacesaver is that its so expensive... its like $300 on ebay

Can find decent/clean ones for 180-200

Offline sashi

« Reply #18 on: Tue, 06 January 2015, 20:48:56 »
Where can I find one of those for that price?

How big is the 103 keyboard in terms of length? I can probably fit one on my desk. Is it similar size to a cheap fullsize keyboard? I ask this is because some full sized kbs have more plastic around the edges and spacing is different.

Offline DrHubblePhD

• I am star stuff
  • Location: Observable Universe, Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way Galaxy, Solar System, Planet Earth
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 06 January 2015, 20:52:29 »
Maybe a kul with blues or browns? That said if you have owned a couple of MJ2s than you probably arent looking for that kind of design.

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 06 January 2015, 21:29:48 »
How big is the 103 keyboard in terms of length? I can probably fit one on my desk. Is it similar size to a cheap fullsize keyboard? I ask this is because some full sized kbs have more plastic around the edges and spacing is different.

The 103 key classic is 19" long and 8" deep.  It's a big keyboard.  The Ultra Classic is a bit smaller.  I don't have one to compare however.  You can get the Ultra Classic in 103 as well.  Someone here might have one.
http://pckeyboard.com/page/category/UltraClassic

Hope this helps!
« Last Edit: Tue, 06 January 2015, 21:33:04 by Snowdog993 »

Offline sashi

« Reply #21 on: Fri, 09 January 2015, 17:48:39 »
Well I sold my filco and got myself a noppo choc mini with mx reds

The keycaps feel pretty nice