Author Topic: TKL Alps keyboards kits?  (Read 4253 times)

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Doing university was a mistake
TKL Alps keyboards kits?
« on: Fri, 30 March 2018, 12:12:54 »
I am in search for a TKL Alps kit that doesn't cost me a arm. Or is it best to buy a ALPS KBP V80 and replace the switches?
current
Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs | Rukia Everglide Tourmaline Blue 58.5G Springs | MGA Standard Greetech brown |
Coming soon
Rest in peace Billy Herrington(William Glen Harold Herrington) 1969-2018
Rest in peace Byron Daniel 1989-2020

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
Re: TKL Alps keyboards kits?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 30 March 2018, 12:13:12 »
I am in search for a TKL Alps kit that doesn't cost me a arm. Or is it best to buy a ALPS KBP V80 and replace the switches?

Oops lol
current
Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs | Rukia Everglide Tourmaline Blue 58.5G Springs | MGA Standard Greetech brown |
Coming soon

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 30 March 2018, 12:14:50 »
Alps kits are pretty uncommon and the ones that are around are typically quite pricy. The usual recommendation is to just get a V80 and switch swap, with a Vortex aluminum case if you are so inclined.
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 02 April 2018, 18:51:36 »
I started with a V80 rebuild, it is not easy getting that board desoldered but I feel like its still worth it. I've done a bunch of them now - probably worth the same desoldered as it is new with matias just because of the work and risk to do it and not destroy the pads. My go-to laptop board for work was a V80 with cream dampened skcm in it. (I'm willing to sell it... or sell you a desoldered v80.. or a v80 with matias QC if thats something you're interested in).

To my knowledge, the only other TKL PCB out there thats worth anything is the Leeku ALPhaS board which can be used in a bunch of the expensive aluminum TKL boards out there. I have one in my LZ CLS and its superb (albeit a bit of work to solder in all the diodes and stuff).

There are a bunch of inexpensive kits that "that_canadian" and "bakingpy" have made for things that are split ortholinear. I'm pretty sure all of their designs are MX and ALPS compatible. MiniDox, Iris, Nyquist, ECO, Lets Split w/ onboard controller... just to rattle off a few from the top of my head. http://keeb.io and http://www.maple-computing.com

-Dana

Offline Chevy_Monsenhor

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 04 April 2018, 08:37:19 »
Kinda want one myself, buy i want a 90%-esque layout, sorta like the new Input Club Kira.
I think i'm going to handwire mine.
Keyboards: Leopold FC900R (Pinks), Logitech G613
Mice: Glorious Model O (Glossy), Logitech G305

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 04 April 2018, 09:48:50 »
If you can solder SMD, my XMMX supports ALPS and fits a Filco MJ2/CM QFR case.
My opensource projects: GH80-3000, TOAD, XMMX. Classified: stuff

Offline ppp

• KappaKeepoKoopa
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 04 April 2018, 10:11:05 »

Looks like I need to learn how to solder SMD...

Side note, TalkingTree you are insanely cool in PCB design. I see you everywhere helping people out and I love your work.  :thumb:

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 04 April 2018, 11:42:54 »

Thats a great project! What do you do for plates though?
-Dana

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 04 April 2018, 13:54:17 »
Side note, TalkingTree you are insanely cool in PCB design. I see you everywhere helping people out and I love your work.  :thumb:
Very kind of you to say, much obliged my good sir.

What do you do for plates though?
Usually I have them laser cut out of custom designs made with KLE and swill's builder.

My opensource projects: GH80-3000, TOAD, XMMX. Classified: stuff

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 05 April 2018, 00:53:44 »
Matias/Fukka V80 + Switch Swap and Tai-Hao caps would be the best way to go.

V80's are very annoying to de-solder though. Not sure why. Even when the joint looks clean the switches just wont come out of the PCB.

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 05 April 2018, 05:25:25 »
I started with a V80 rebuild, it is not easy getting that board desoldered but I feel like its still worth it. I've done a bunch of them now - probably worth the same desoldered as it is new with matias just because of the work and risk to do it and not destroy the pads. My go-to laptop board for work was a V80 with cream dampened skcm in it. (I'm willing to sell it... or sell you a desoldered v80.. or a v80 with matias QC if thats something you're interested in).

To my knowledge, the only other TKL PCB out there thats worth anything is the Leeku ALPhaS board which can be used in a bunch of the expensive aluminum TKL boards out there. I have one in my LZ CLS and its superb (albeit a bit of work to solder in all the diodes and stuff).

There are a bunch of inexpensive kits that "that_canadian" and "bakingpy" have made for things that are split ortholinear. I'm pretty sure all of their designs are MX and ALPS compatible. MiniDox, Iris, Nyquist, ECO, Lets Split w/ onboard controller... just to rattle off a few from the top of my head. http://keeb.io and http://www.maple-computing.com

Are the pins bend on the V80? I desolderd a AEK II once and some of the pins where bend then solderd making it super annoying to get all the solder out with a solder sucker. I would be interested in a desolderd board but i changed my plans. If my plans don't go trough i will send you a PM.
current
Coming soon

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 06 April 2018, 10:04:53 »
One of the reasons they are such a pain to desolder is that the solder is lead-free. With a desoldering station they aren't too hard to remove though.
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170