Author Topic: Looking for a 65% keyboard without floating key design  (Read 4073 times)

Offline edlp456

Looking for a 65% keyboard without floating key design
« on: Thu, 05 April 2018, 23:37:53 »
Hello. I'm a newbie here and after reading for a while I think I decided on what kind of keyboard I want, although I still need to decide which one I'm gonna buy. The Tada68 is definitely one of my candidates but I want to see other options just in case I missed one. Like the title says, I was thinking of getting a 65% keyboard, but I noticed a lot of other models have that "floating key" design, which I'm not really a fan of. Are there any of these like that? Also, I'm not sure how I feel about DIY kits. I would prefer it if I didn't have to build it myself. :-X That's all, thanks in advance!

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Doing university was a mistake
Re: Looking for a 65% keyboard without floating key design
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 06 April 2018, 01:49:28 »
Leopold FC660M

current
Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs | Rukia Everglide Tourmaline Blue 58.5G Springs | MGA Standard Greetech brown |
Coming soon
Rest in peace Billy Herrington(William Glen Harold Herrington) 1969-2018
Rest in peace Byron Daniel 1989-2020

Offline enrique.aliaga

Looking for a 65% keyboard without floating key design
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 06 April 2018, 09:48:28 »
Either Leopold FC660M (if you want Cherry Mechanical switches) or Leopold FC660C (if you want Topre Capacitive switches).

I think Leopold makes fantastic boards. Very high quality. And they don’t have that floating-key design that you despise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ThoughtArtist

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 06 April 2018, 18:02:37 »
Yep. Floating design sucks if you don't have caps designed for it and don't mind stabbing your fingertips from time to time on the bottom edge of the caps.

Surprised this gets overlooked by all the GMk ****s (like myself who now knows better)

Offline zappysnap

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 06 April 2018, 20:24:28 »
Varmilo VA68M is my favorite....I had a pre-built one with clears, but just built another with box navies, and it's amazing.

« Last Edit: Fri, 06 April 2018, 20:27:56 by zappysnap »
YMDK96/XD96, Holy Panda, Infinikey Hive
DZ60RGB, 67g Zealio v2, SA Oblivion
Varmilo VA68M, Box Navy, SA Ashen
MA60 v2, Wood case, Novelkeys Cream, XDA Canvas
DZ60, 78g Zealios, Lambo case, DSA Geode (custom sublimated)
Leopold FC980M, MX Clear, EnjoyPBT 9009

Offline edlp456

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 07 April 2018, 23:29:36 »
Varmilo VA68M is my favorite....I had a pre-built one with clears, but just built another with box navies, and it's amazing.

Show Image

Show Image

Oh, that one actually looks good. I might look into it. Thanks :)

Either Leopold FC660M (if you want Cherry Mechanical switches) or Leopold FC660C (if you want Topre Capacitive switches).

I think Leopold makes fantastic boards. Very high quality. And they don’t have that floating-key design that you despise.

That one looks really nice also. Thanks :D
« Last Edit: Sat, 07 April 2018, 23:34:14 by edlp456 »

Offline Archedemus

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 08 April 2018, 02:30:25 »
You could go with KBD66 or KBD661 , high profile aluminum case, boi

Offline DMacKB

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 08 April 2018, 18:18:34 »
Tada68 from kbdfans is a lovely example with thick juicy keycaps too. They’re on aliexpress or MyShopify.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 08 April 2018, 21:20:56 »
Clueboard!
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline spiceBar

• ChessTiger.com
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 11 April 2018, 17:29:54 »
As others have already said, I would strongly advocate for an FC660C or FC660M (I own both).

The "C" is Topre, and unfortunately is not easily customizable. But it has this very pleasurable Topre signature "Thock".

The "M" has Cherry MX switches (different kinds available), and you can easily find keysets for it: all the keys are standard except the right Shift (it's the same as the left one), and the Win (Meta or Super) key, which is 1u wide (not hard to find).

I know some people dislike the shape around the Insert/Delete key island, but for me it's a valuable feature. Remember, your hands don't see. The right part of the keyboard is actually very well done, as it allows to find the navigation keys easily, by touch. It's something that you should not underestimate. I have other keyboards with more compact layouts and I am always annoyed by the fact that the navigation keys are lost in the pack.

Needless to say, the build quality is very good. You will have to work hard to get the same quality on a DIY.