Author Topic: OMRON PRES Switch  (Read 3731 times)

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
OMRON PRES Switch
« on: Sat, 07 April 2018, 23:22:59 »
So today I swing by our local computer store just for fun (yupe it's what guys do sometimes).

I came across this keyboard: https://us.creative.com/p/peripherals/sound-blasterx-vanguard-k08

To be honest..... It look kind of tacky very 12 year old gamer looking. But hey since there is a demo unit so I'm just gonna press a few keys for no apparent reason. But woahhhhh..... These switches..... Actually feels really great! Very quiet and solid and not much wobble, granted it has a shorter travel but not too bad. They sound good too.

Obviously I had to look up what switch is in them, so turns out they are OMRON's PRES switch. The exterior look pretty much identical to Romer G switch but the key feel is day and night compare to Romer G, so I don't know what they modified to make it different but whatever they did feels great!

Anyone else have tried this yet? And now I hope they release a more "normal" looking version.

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline Daniel Beardsmore

• RIP
    • Boring twaddle
Re: OMRON PRES Switch
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 08 April 2018, 15:18:47 »
I am waiting to see a close-up, to see the part numbers written on them — I want to see if they are also B3K series like Romer-G is.

Same for Das Keyboard Gamma Zulu.

I cannot group all three on the wiki under Omron B3K series until I've seen the part numbers for the other two types, and so far I've been unable to either find detailed photos, or obtain the switches. (With Romer-G, I was able to buy some for inspection.)
Bore Awards
Most Boring Person on the Planet – 2011 Winner

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 08 April 2018, 15:39:29 »
WTH 1. The product's web page draws a lot of CPU power while I keep it open.
WTH 2. Light-bleed galore when Logitech's keyboard doesn't have it.

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 08 April 2018, 23:32:44 »
I am waiting to see a close-up, to see the part numbers written on them — I want to see if they are also B3K series like Romer-G is.

Same for Das Keyboard Gamma Zulu.

I cannot group all three on the wiki under Omron B3K series until I've seen the part numbers for the other two types, and so far I've been unable to either find detailed photos, or obtain the switches. (With Romer-G, I was able to buy some for inspection.)

LOL omg I didn't realize there is a Gamma Zulu version.  Why is OMRON making all those different versions.

However I can't comment on the Gamma Zulu since I've never seen one in person yet.  But PRES feels really solid on top that the keyboard itself is very solid and sturdy too.

I tested the keyboard after a keyboard meetup (consists mostly of Korean customs and custom swithces) so my expectations were quite high at the time, but I was still impressed by the Vanguard K08's build quality and typing feel (again, design is another story).

WTH 2. Light-bleed galore when Logitech's keyboard doesn't have it.

If I remember correctly I think the top switch cover on the PRES version is transparent similar to Cherry RGB, hence the light bleed galore.  I pulled one key off at the store just to check.

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden