Author Topic: Has anyone tried a Dell 'maglev' keyboard?  (Read 5789 times)

Offline Kevadu

Has anyone tried a Dell 'maglev' keyboard?
« on: Wed, 11 April 2018, 23:02:41 »
So apparently Dell very recently came out with a new keyboard design for their laptops they're calling 'maglev'.  From the looks of it it's basically a scissor switch mechanism to hold the key in place only instead of a rubber dome or a spring to provide the return force they actually put small rare earth magnets on every key that I guess is repelling a similar magnet in the base.  This was done mainly for space reasons as it's being used for very low-profile keyboards competing with the likes of the MBP.  However the design at least promises a bit more travel (though don't expect too much) in a similarly slim machine.

It's kind of an intriguing idea.  In addition to the space issue consider that the force between two magnets is--unlike a spring--inherently non-linear so it ought to affect the key feel in...some way.  The press I've seen about this keyboard design has been positive but lacking any real in-depth discussion so I don't really know what it's like.

As far as I know the only laptop they're currently selling with this keyboard is the new XPS 15 2-in-1, though I'm sure they'll add more eventually.  But it just so happens that I'm thinking about buying that very machine (it's also one of the first laptops to have Kaby Lake G, the Intel-AMD collaboration processor with integrated GPU that offers some pretty compelling performance in a small package) and when I was researching it I obviously got interested in this new keyboard design too.  Unfortunately seeing how Dell mainly does mail order I don't know of anywhere I could actually try this thing in person.  It has been shown at trade shows I guess but it's not like I go to those...

So I thought I would at least ask here if there's anyone who's tried it.  It does sound...neat at least.

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Doing university was a mistake
Re: Has anyone tried a Dell 'maglev' keyboard?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 12 April 2018, 01:02:00 »
Why even use the laptop keyboard when you can bring a 60% :).
current
Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs | Rukia Everglide Tourmaline Blue 58.5G Springs | MGA Standard Greetech brown |
Coming soon
Rest in peace Billy Herrington(William Glen Harold Herrington) 1969-2018
Rest in peace Byron Daniel 1989-2020

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 12 April 2018, 01:05:20 »
Dell Magsep switches, interesting.... The idea isn't new, but still :) .
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline etatauri

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 12 April 2018, 03:14:44 »
Interesting. My first reaction was dismissive, but then I thought about it.. I wonder if it'd be possible to have the keys pop up with some kind of mechanism for more travel when the laptop is open. Since there is no rubber dome, there shouldn't be any restrictions on how far the keycap can come up depending on the strength of the magnets of course.
Input Club K-Type / Vortex Pok3r / Magicforce 21 / Razor Blackwidow
MX Clear / MX Blue / IC Halo Clear / NK Box Pale Blue / NK Box Navy
SP DSA HC Dolch / SP Dye Sub DSA / SP SA Dasher / MD MT3 /dev/tty / KC Strong Spirit

Offline Chevy_Monsenhor

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 13 April 2018, 07:55:37 »
Why even use the laptop keyboard when you can bring a 60% :).

Hellyeah, i agree fully, its one of the many uses of my little Anne Pro.
Keyboards: Leopold FC900R (Pinks), Logitech G613
Mice: Glorious Model O (Glossy), Logitech G305

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 13 April 2018, 09:13:33 »
Interesting. My first reaction was dismissive, but then I thought about it.. I wonder if it'd be possible to have the keys pop up with some kind of mechanism for more travel when the laptop is open. Since there is no rubber dome, there shouldn't be any restrictions on how far the keycap can come up depending on the strength of the magnets of course.

I don't think they want the screen pressing against the keyboard because that could scratch the screen over time.

The video says 25% thinner than dome.. that's pretty cool..