Author Topic: Flipping Commodore 64s  (Read 4251 times)

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Typing on: Brutal60, Lavenders Linears, GMK Jamon
Flipping Commodore 64s
« on: Mon, 05 November 2018, 09:58:55 »
Has anyone considered flipping C64's for a little spare cash.  I've seem the busted ones go cheap and the refurbished ones bring in a pretty penny.

With the physical skills we've all picked up (myself because of keyboards), I feel like it's not all that difficult. There are only so many things that can go wrong with those boards anyway....

Even if it's not financially viable, it still looks fun! Someone on here has to have experience with this.
ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: Flipping Commodore 64s
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 05 November 2018, 10:41:46 »
This is like selling Crack..

Given enough time,  you end up hoarding all the crack.. getn' high on your own supply.

More precisely..

-- Begin collect Commodore

-- Begin Researching Commodore History

-- Begin Researching Commodore Hardware / Pricing / Rarity

-- Begin Appreciating Commodore

-- Buy Low, Sell High

-- Buy Low, Refurbish, Paint / Sand / Solder

-- Deeper attachment to the Commondores in your stock..

-- You Only sell to Knowledgeable Collectors, because only they can truly Appreciate them at the same lvl you do.

-- You begin to feel, The World At Large,  Doesn't DESERVE the Commodore..

-- You only know 3 people who do deserve it,  your friend Tp4,  and Jack and Jill from the Internet in Estonia..

-- You run out of customers who you believe can Love the Commodore as much as you do.

--  You begin to see greatness potential in EVERY commodore, even beat up ones..

-- You begin to collect EVERYTHING commodore.

-- You now haz ALL THE COMMODORE,   Only YOU can love them to the fullest..

-- And.. here we are, a room full of Commodores.. Divorce, Custody battle.. etc ... etc..

All too common !!!

Offline JP

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 05 November 2018, 13:58:07 »
Omg this is too close to home. What did I ever get myself into. I skipped the marriage bit altogether though.
About Me | The Collection
Therapy is expensive so I buy keyboards and bike parts.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 05 November 2018, 14:47:31 »
Omg this is too close to home. What did I ever get myself into. I skipped the marriage bit altogether though.

Tp4 / Omniscience ++

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Typing on: Brutal60, Lavenders Linears, GMK Jamon
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 05 November 2018, 19:43:10 »

Given enough time,  you end up hoarding all the crack.. getn' high on your own supply.

More precisely..

-- Buy Low, Sell High

-- You Only sell to Knowledgeable Collectors, because only they can truly Appreciate them at the same lvl you do.

-- You only know 3 people who do deserve it,  your friend Tp4,  and Jack and Jill from the Internet in Estonia..

-- You run out of customers who you believe can Love the Commodore as much as you do.

--  You begin to see greatness potential in EVERY commodore, even beat up ones..

-- And.. here we are, a room full of Commodores.. Divorce, Custody battle.. etc ... etc..

All too common !!!

You know... sometimes after dealing with the general public, that doesn't sound like a bad alternative...
ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 05 November 2018, 21:52:05 »

You know... sometimes after dealing with the general public, that doesn't sound like a bad alternative...

Tp4 can not in good conscience as Chairman of Gekha #Ronery4ever  recommend Hobbies which lead to #Ronery4ever..

Offline TacticalCoder

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 15 November 2018, 18:45:46 »
I know people who do that with Commodore Amiga. The Amiga typically need recapping because if a capacitor gives up it destroys the board and the board is hard to repair. Keyboards on the Amiga are also quite an issue (funny for GH that keyboards may be an issue).

I don't know about the C64: I think they're easier to repair / future-proof compared to Amiga but really not sure about that.

In any case I'd certainly love to have one working again. Mine (which I have since more than 30 years) is dead.

I'll probably just buy one fully working one day.
HHKB Pro JP (daily driver) -- HHKB Pro 2 -- Industrial IBM Model M 1395240-- NIB Cherry MX 5000 - IBM Model M 1391412 (Swiss QWERTZ) -- IBM Model M 1391403 (German QWERTZ) * 2 -- IBM Model M Ambra -- Black IBM Model M M13 -- IBM Model M 1391401 -- IBM Model M 139? ? ? *2 -- Dell AT102W -- Ergo (split) SmartBoard (white ALPS apparently)

Offline Little4Real

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 25 November 2018, 17:31:00 »

More precisely..

-- Buy Low, Sell High

All too common !!!

This alone makes me want to start flipping C64's

Offline impaktor

• Blog on emacs & keyboards
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 26 December 2018, 16:11:39 »
Two great gateway drugs to get into C64 is the youtube channel "8 bit guy", and amibay.net for trading commodore C64 (and amigas).

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 29 December 2018, 02:09:00 »
Perifractic (Retro Recipes) does a bit of C64 stuff foo.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ