Author Topic: What's Bothering You? (The thread about what is bothering you.)  (Read 4184256 times)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: What's Bothering You? (The thread about what is bothering you.)
« Reply #26450 on: Wed, 13 March 2019, 15:36:16 »

I've avoided some things (like tube amps) just because I know it'll only lead down a wallet hole.

It's not nearly as bad as Photography.

With photography, you'd also have to go outside, which is awful..

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #26451 on: Wed, 13 March 2019, 16:38:17 »
I've been an uncle for 20+ years.  And during that time I've watched these kids grow up in world of internet and can't help but feel a bit envious.  Granted, a lot of the underlying tech existed when I was a wee lad of the mid to late 80s, but the infrastructure wasn't nearly as developed as it was in the mid to late 90s.  At least, no one I knew had heard of BBSs or newsgroups.  And if they had heard of those technologies or used them they never talked about it in privately owned public open spaces.  I guess this explains part of the reason as to why I've started to use Invader Zim avatars. Plus Gir reminds me of my military brat background.  I'm intelligent (debatable) enough to know I don't want to be these kids (not exactly kids anymore), but I am envious of their generation as a whole if that makes sense.  Maybe part of this stems from the fact that I never had children during the time when most of my generation started families.. I have no idea (it was the smart choice in my case).  But yea, after I finally 100%'d Dragon Warrior 1 I started thinking about things without the rose colored glasses.  I didn't have patience as a kid, the game is pretty easy to 100%--just takes time.  I'm not quite at the age of owning a wallet that's old enough to drink but I'm definitely headed in a direction that facilitates me reaching that point in life.  Anyway..
« Last Edit: Wed, 13 March 2019, 16:39:54 by csmertx »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #26452 on: Wed, 13 March 2019, 16:42:53 »
If you don't procure progeny..

Here is the signup for #Ronery4ever..

Comes with ample time to 100% as many RPGs as you like.

Offline iri

« Reply #26453 on: Wed, 20 March 2019, 16:05:46 »
looks like it's ****ing no deal
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline Lanrefni

« Reply #26454 on: Fri, 22 March 2019, 10:29:16 »
Got carpal tunnel surgery yesterday and having to type one handed sucks. What makes it worse is the knowledge I'll be getting the same surgery on my other hand in a month or two. :/

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #26455 on: Fri, 22 March 2019, 10:37:10 »
Got carpal tunnel surgery yesterday and having to type one handed sucks. What makes it worse is the knowledge I'll be getting the same surgery on my other hand in a month or two. :/

ERGODOXssssss

Offline Lanrefni

« Reply #26456 on: Fri, 22 March 2019, 10:47:50 »

ERGODOXssssss

BFO-9000

Sadly the damage was done before I got a split board.  :(

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #26457 on: Fri, 22 March 2019, 13:26:52 »

ERGODOXssssss

BFO-9000

Sadly the damage was done before I got a split board.  :(

Are u Tented @ 55 Degrees ?

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #26458 on: Sat, 23 March 2019, 09:30:28 »
Got overtaken by a MAMIL with poor technique and couldn't catch him.
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #26459 on: Sat, 23 March 2019, 10:22:00 »

LOL,  overall MAMIL is a good thing,  at least they're not @ home playing WOW.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #26460 on: Sat, 23 March 2019, 11:28:07 »
Bodyglide saves.. lives

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #26462 on: Sat, 23 March 2019, 14:27:34 »
Bodyglide saves.. lives

this what the pr0 gamrs use ?

Yessir, xpecially when they're tryin' to be like Austin Keen

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #26463 on: Sun, 24 March 2019, 03:47:52 »

LOL,  overall MAMIL is a good thing,  at least they're not @ home playing WOW.

Methinks you misunderstand the problem - poor form (his left leg stuck out at least 15° on every downstroke) should lead to poor performance and he looked significantly older than me, yet he was still quicker on a flat road.  I guess any time that could be saved by dressing up would be more than offset by the time needed to get those leggings on though :))
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline iri

« Reply #26464 on: Sun, 24 March 2019, 06:04:22 »
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #26465 on: Mon, 25 March 2019, 03:27:57 »
There are two things you should be able to trust a vending machine to do - give you what you ask for and rotate the stock so it's nicely chilled.  How then did I just press fanta only for a warm sugar free cherry coke to pop out? :confused:

As it's not even an option I guess my problem is with the guy filling it up, but still...  To make it worse I can't complain because it's a machine!

Edit: Just noticed it's dated 31/3/2019 too - guess no-one likes fanta here, wonder if it would sell better with the right label?!
« Last Edit: Mon, 25 March 2019, 03:30:42 by suicidal_orange »
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #26466 on: Mon, 25 March 2019, 08:43:43 »
There are two things you should be able to trust a vending machine to do - give you what you ask for and rotate the stock so it's nicely chilled.  How then did I just press fanta only for a warm sugar free cherry coke to pop out? :confused:

As it's not even an option I guess my problem is with the guy filling it up, but still...  To make it worse I can't complain because it's a machine!

Edit: Just noticed it's dated 31/3/2019 too - guess no-one likes fanta here, wonder if it would sell better with the right label?!

What flavor fanta ?

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #26467 on: Tue, 26 March 2019, 05:07:16 »

What flavor fanta ?

Should have been original orange.  I'd have preferred the pink one but that wasn't an option, perhaps I should have picked standard coke no 4 then I might have got one :))
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #26468 on: Tue, 26 March 2019, 20:57:20 »

What flavor fanta ?

Should have been original orange.  I'd have preferred the pink one but that wasn't an option, perhaps I should have picked standard coke no 4 then I might have got one :))

Probably have still gotten a warm one though.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
« Reply #26469 on: Wed, 27 March 2019, 07:12:05 »
Hmm... One of the thinks that pisses me off is ... chalaza.
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
« Reply #26471 on: Wed, 27 March 2019, 17:17:24 »

Oooh, tp4 - now you suggesting that I should give up eggs entirely? ;)

Well, maybe you are right... But chalaza is something that drives me nuts! I just mastered makingmy own poached eggs. You can imagine how hard is ti clean up the egg from those chalaza or blood spots, or whatever I find in the eggs. I'm like a magnet to those things, my wife jokes about me that whatever can be founf in eggs, I will definitely find it!  :D
And believe me, I found load s of crap in eggs, I even satrted to make photos of those things as people don't believe me when I tell them what I saw there :))
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #26472 on: Wed, 27 March 2019, 19:07:18 »
Just realizing and coming to terms with the fact I'll never be able to accomplish my long-term dreams and will never really be happy or satisfied. It's a difficult notion to wrestle with knowing you can never under any normal circumstances be able to even partially fulfill your lifelong goals, but I think it's healthy to be pragmatic about these things.
I'm going to be working myself to the bone doing something I don't really care about for the rest of my life, and that's just the way it is. How disappointing.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #26473 on: Wed, 27 March 2019, 19:33:39 »
The lucky ones have a lifetime goal in the first place :)

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #26474 on: Wed, 27 March 2019, 19:52:53 »
I'm not sure whether it's worse to be frustrated/apathetic due to having nothing to chase or purely frustrated at having a target you're unable to reach.  Pretty sure everyone falls one side or the other so no-one can answer this.

I'm going to be working myself to the bone doing something I don't really care about for the rest of my life, and that's just the way it is. How disappointing.

Do you really need to?  Doing an easy job which pays the bills, has set hours leaving you plenty of free time and which can be instantly dropped from your mind when your workday is over is surely better than working yourself to the bone.  If you don't need to make millions because you've accepted your goal is unreachable why work hard.
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #26475 on: Wed, 27 March 2019, 20:21:45 »
I'm not sure whether it's worse to be frustrated/apathetic due to having nothing to chase or purely frustrated at having a target you're unable to reach.  Pretty sure everyone falls one side or the other so no-one can answer this.

Do you really need to?  Doing an easy job which pays the bills, has set hours leaving you plenty of free time and which can be instantly dropped from your mind when your workday is over is surely better than working yourself to the bone.  If you don't need to make millions because you've accepted your goal is unreachable why work hard.

Bleak.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #26476 on: Wed, 27 March 2019, 20:58:07 »

Sorry, I thought that was this one for a sec ...

"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #26477 on: Wed, 27 March 2019, 20:58:12 »

It's either that or get paid $20 less an hour. I'd need just about $3.5 million to follow my dreams, and I only really have one so that's likely never going to happen.

And I LIKE working hard, so long as I care even a little about the project. A spoonful of drive can fuel you for a long time.
« Last Edit: Wed, 27 March 2019, 21:00:35 by noisyturtle »

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #26478 on: Wed, 27 March 2019, 21:02:28 »

Sorry, I thought that was this one for a sec ...

0_0

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #26479 on: Wed, 27 March 2019, 21:07:37 »

It's either that or get paid $20 less an hour. I'd need just about $3.5 million to follow my dreams, and I only really have one so that's likely never going to happen.

And I LIKE working hard, so long as I care even a little about the project. A spoonful of drive can fuel you for a long time.

Perspectives can change greatly over time.

For example. Dreamjobs,  Tp4 used to think fighter pilot, and Pro G4m3r were kewl.

But Now that AI decimates starcraft pros 5 to 0,  and fighter pilots ALWAYS LOSE against pilot AIs,    Welp,  that's that..

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #26480 on: Wed, 27 March 2019, 21:20:56 »

Hmm... I think we're too different to discuss this - with my complete lack of drive I don't even make $20 an hour and won't anytime soon.  Given $3.5 million I'd probably give half of it away to buy my way out of my life and live off the rest until I got bored, at which point I could kill myself without having a guilty conscience.  I can't even guess what your dream may be if it costs that much!

Currently my job (and especially my chosen method of commuting) is physically draining so I sleep lots and don't have much time to think about how pointless it all is.  It kinda works...
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #26481 on: Wed, 27 March 2019, 21:27:41 »

Hmm... I think we're too different to discuss this - with my complete lack of drive I don't even make $20 an hour and won't anytime soon.  Given $3.5 million I'd probably give half of it away to buy my way out of my life and live off the rest until I got bored, at which point I could kill myself without having a guilty conscience.  I can't even guess what your dream may be if it costs that much!

Currently my job (and especially my chosen method of commuting) is physically draining so I sleep lots and don't have much time to think about how pointless it all is.  It kinda works...

I can't even guess what your dream may be if it costs that much!

My dream for the past 15 years or so has been to start a game studio that specifically hires very talented people right out of school or with no schooling at all to have nearly full creative reign over a standing long-term project. So SO many extremely talented people get hired on as some cog-in-the-wheel that essentially kills their full potential by the time they are allowed to explore it. I want to make a safe place for game developers of extreme talent to be able to live out their dreams without first proving themselves in the industry.

Granted that it takes about 2 years to develop and polish a AAA game, $3.5 million is approximately the amount it would cost to float 2 dozen developers on 2 separate projects for 2 years.

Never ever going to happen for me.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #26482 on: Wed, 27 March 2019, 22:02:43 »

My dream for the past 15 years or so has been to start a game studio that specifically hires very talented people right out of school or with no schooling at all to have nearly full creative reign over a standing long-term project. So SO many extremely talented people get hired on as some cog-in-the-wheel that essentially kills their full potential by the time they are allowed to explore it. I want to make a safe place for game developers of extreme talent to be able to live out their dreams without first proving themselves in the industry.

Granted that it takes about 2 years to develop and polish a AAA game, $3.5 million is approximately the amount it would cost to float 2 dozen developers on 2 separate projects for 2 years.

NT, it is never a good idea to hire fresh graduates or non-graduates unless they demonstrate a dire need of the occupation.

If you have someone in an important position, it's critical that this person be BOUND by something, Children/Mortgage -Debt-.   

If you hire someone with no roots, who can just say I-Quit with a snap, that is far too risky.

What if you had a General, who just said, the enemy is too strong, rolled over, quit and surrendered ?

What did KINGS of the past do,  They held the General's family hostage, and they made sure POLITELY that at the back of the general's minds, failure/betrayal is NOT an option.

There are multiple ways to achieve similar motivations,  But the value you place on Youth/Spontaneity/ Creativity  MUST NOT exceed the condition by which they can BE Controlled and Manipulated..

//Leadership

Offline Starius

« Reply #26483 on: Wed, 27 March 2019, 22:10:21 »

I can't even guess what your dream may be if it costs that much!

Your dream plan doesn't seem to put merit on talent honed by experience, or industry veterans.  Don't confuse that kind of experience with your perceived faults of the game industry's production system.  Without that experience, your predicted game title production schedule would probably be worthless.

I think I know your reasoning though, hypothetically speaking, so take a look at Intrepid Studios for example.  A nobody (from the gaming industry's perspective) raised a dream's worth of capitol to make his dream MMORPG (Ashes of Creation), unhindered by those very same traditional game developer foibles.... but he filled his studio with lots of experienced industry talent.  The result, for him, has been game development that has (largely for the most part) been advancing ahead of schedule.   Yet, if Intrepid Studios had simply relied on people without this rich melting pot of game development experience, I don't think they'd be anywhere near to reaching their goal as they are now. 

In the broader sense of this conversation, though.... I feel I should point something out.  There is a difference between "dream" and "fantasy." 
If you truly have a great idea, something to help create and bring into reality.... and you worked hard at it, you can make it happen.  In this modern day and age, anyone with a compelling idea can create a video and start a crowdsourced campaign.... and if that idea catches on to the cultural zeitgeist and instills the same excitement you feel for that idea into many others - then capital could be raised to help make that dream a reality. 
However, if all you ever do is think about the idea, and never doing anything else about it other than think about it.... then it is just a "fantasy."   There's nothing wrong with fantasies, they have their place.   But in order to turn dreams or fantasies over to reality, they must cross over a "bridge of practicality," so to speak.  And the pylons on such a bridge would be priorities.  Priorities of your life.  Should other things be more important in your life?  What things in your life are you willing to change, sacrifice, or work towards?   If you work through such existential questions, you can at least start to narrow down a path you might want to work towards in life.  But keep in mind, life will never go "according to plan."  Its more of a great river that you have to navigate through, but it's up to you to pick and choose what shores to settle on. 

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #26484 on: Wed, 27 March 2019, 22:36:42 »
The entire idea is to let very creative people explore design ideas they would never have a chance to explore at larger studios. The structure would have veteran producers on each team acting as project managers and mentors. I wouldn't expect anyone to stick around after their first project, in fact the entire philosophy of the studio is to consistently be cycling in brand new never before heard from talent for each project. It's giving college kids and outsiders a chance to focus their talent in one short burst before being hammered into a specific way of doing things.
« Last Edit: Wed, 27 March 2019, 22:39:01 by noisyturtle »

Offline Starius

« Reply #26485 on: Thu, 28 March 2019, 00:52:55 »
That makes it sound like a cooperative/collaborative studio environment workspace.  Kind of like Maker Spaces, only for game development. That does sound intriguing.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #26486 on: Thu, 28 March 2019, 01:15:26 »
That makes it sound like a cooperative/collaborative studio environment workspace.  Kind of like Maker Spaces, only for game development. That does sound intriguing.

Like, what if a small driven team that were hand-selected and hungry to prove themselves in a professional environment of like-talented individuals were put in an office space for 2 years with a huge budget to create whatever game they wanted with no limits. Sounds like a reality show...

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #26487 on: Thu, 28 March 2019, 06:00:05 »
Oh that is interesting

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #26488 on: Thu, 28 March 2019, 21:32:23 »
So I found out that my dad plans on leaving his current wife's daughter he's known less than 15 years(and is not his daughter, and she's already got a wealthy father who is likely leaving her a good chunk of change) the same amount he's leaving me, his actual son. I feel personally attacked by this information and don't really know what to make of it. Frankly I don't know why he feels obligated to leave her anything at all, and I'm trying real hard not to sound petty and unsympathetic, but the facts and that she and her husband are already pretty well-off while I languish in poverty just feels like more salt in the wound. Can someone help me reason this, I'm really trying to understand why he'd do this but I just cannot make sense of it.  :confused:

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #26489 on: Thu, 28 March 2019, 21:44:15 »
So I found out that my dad plans on leaving his current wife's daughter he's known less than 15 years(and is not his daughter, and she's already got a wealthy father who is likely leaving her a good chunk of change) the same amount he's leaving me, his actual son. I feel personally attacked by this information and don't really know what to make of it. Frankly I don't know why he feels obligated to leave her anything at all, and I'm trying real hard not to sound petty and unsympathetic, but the facts and that she and her husband are already pretty well-off while I languish in poverty just feels like more salt in the wound. Can someone help me reason this, I'm really trying to understand why he'd do this but I just cannot make sense of it.  :confused:

Hahahahhahahahahaha

In Patriarchal Societies (Asia),  often, daughters will get a dowry of some sort, but sons will inherit the business, most land, apartments, house.

So, disproportionate treatment/ inheritance stress that you're feeling is very common in other countries.  And those are all genetic children, not glued on family.

Your father however, in modern america, could not split it any other way, because if he gave you more than her, that would make him look bad and selfish.

The inheritance isn't a reflection of YOU, it's a reflection of Your FATHER.. He's making the correct call as a father figure, loving attached children equally.

I wouldn't say how you feel is petty,  but you are being a bit narrow in defining alliances.

That said, Tp4 is #Ronery4ever,  but if that ever changed, and Tp4 had offspring (Highly Improbable),   Tp4 would be traditional about it, dowry for female offspring, most accomplished male offspring takes everything. Middle accomplished offspring receives financial seed money dispensed at discretion of most-accomplished offspring. Any unaccomplished male offsprings will be neglected, develop a drug habit, disowned and perish. <before the SJW speeches, this has worked for 1000s of years>

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #26490 on: Thu, 28 March 2019, 21:53:19 »
But she already has a wealthy father. So she's getting much more already, and having been 'in the family' for about a quarter of the time I've been. This just rubs my pet peeve of "the rich get richer" mentality. I don't understand why he feels as if she should be considered a part of his legacy at all. It's probably the adorable grandkid she gave him. As a terminally single and depressed man I probably don't have the same natural appeal.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #26491 on: Thu, 28 March 2019, 22:01:09 »
But she already has a wealthy father. So she's getting much more already, and having been 'in the family' for about a quarter of the time I've been. This just rubs my pet peeve of "the rich get richer" mentality. I don't understand why he feels as if she should be considered a part of his legacy at all. It's probably the adorable grandkid she gave him. As a terminally single and depressed man I probably don't have the same natural appeal.

Legacy is more than genetics. There are cases where the genetic offspring receives NOTHING.

In THIS specific NTurtle case,  it's probably fairly simple,  your father does not want either children to believe they are LESS LOVED. (Disney influenced)

In more complex cases, it's possible a parent may feel that one set of children genetic or not possess a better composition of (inherited) ideals/values/intellect/philosophy.

What if one offspring is a doped up problem child, a completely utilitarian model would appropriate 0-inheritance.

Overall,  if we're talking less than $1 million,   There's nothing to whine over.. It's fine, nothing you can't make for yourself.

If it's something like 1+ million..  You might consider suing on some loophole. This is your right, and being antagonistic is a part of genetic fitness,  Perfectly legal move in the dog-eat-dog world. (If you believe you have the capacity to take more -or all, you should), that's capitalism. Socialism is really the same thing, slightly different, you would only want that money if you have a good utility for it, or at least a better utility than your (not sister).

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #26492 on: Thu, 28 March 2019, 22:09:25 »
iunno

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #26494 on: Thu, 28 March 2019, 22:23:02 »
iunno

how would mertx appropriate inheritance.

Tp4 gets csmertx GTX gpu ?

three tacos

Offline iamtootallforthis

• Something a lot Funnier
  • * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #26495 on: Thu, 28 March 2019, 22:23:21 »

Have you spoken to your dad about it?

I mean if they have a good relationship and he sees her as his daughter, can you really blame him?

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #26496 on: Thu, 28 March 2019, 22:28:36 »

Have you spoken to your dad about it?

I mean if they have a good relationship and he sees her as his daughter, can you really blame him?

They never seemed close at all to me, but then again I've been on the other side of the country for the last 15 years and only see him about once a year. I get the impression lately if my dad could cut me out completely and forget about my mom and I forever he would.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #26497 on: Thu, 28 March 2019, 22:28:47 »

How NT feels is genetically correct,  Technically the not-sister and her mother are interlopers challenging the genetic fitness of the Original Family Pact.

The Father is in breach of contract.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #26499 on: Thu, 28 March 2019, 22:46:01 »
NT If it's 3-4-5 million kind of money,  Definitely have your mother sue.. even if there's no legitimate reason, invent one.