Author Topic: [IC] GMK Oregon  (Read 6171 times)

Offline HungHingDaiLo

• 無間道
[IC] GMK Oregon
« on: Wed, 24 April 2019, 01:46:20 »
[IC] GMK OREGON (name subject to change)

Rev.2 Colorway, with greek alphas

Previous/Initial Color combination
All current renders are from Keycaprenders.com (Thanks MyKeyboard)!

Update (2019):
- Apr 24 : Ideas for Interest check (Very rough render on keys, moodboard posted). Still need render, inputs and suggestions.
- May 3 : Revision posted. Switched the colors entirely that greatly differs from initial combination. Removed CR as complimentary color. Still need render, inputs and suggestions.

Heavily inspired by University of Oregon and state of Oregon colorways where I graduated from, this set (if it comes to GB) might be the first yellow-heavy appearance amongst many available GMK keysets. However, this keyset is NOT a institutional representative of UofO, so I won't be using their brand logos nor signatures anywhere on the keyset.

The yellow (CV) alphas might appear too abrasive, daring or even confusing for many. I found it to be bold, striking and vivid, yet maintaining clarity and readability for the legends. Combined with Green which is Pantone 3435/C87 M45 Y78 K49 (Oregon green) and few bit of white (CP) accent color, in my opinion, the colorway yields natural yet sporty visual when incorporated to your keyboard, ideally fitting many case colors such as sage green, dark grey, black, white, copper and even orange.

Complimentary colors are CP and Pine Green (N7) for accents. *Previously, there are CR*

Mood board is as follow :

The Latin alphabets are combined with Greek alphabets (as it matches perfectly with campus theme) similar to Greek Olivetti. (Layout pictured are not accurate to the final render, they're just for picturing the color combination in general. Colors may even vary)

As for right now, I need to gather inputs and suggestions from the community as well as renders before I started an external IC form.
Hope you guys like it!

« Last Edit: Fri, 03 May 2019, 04:18:27 by HungHingDaiLo »

Offline stuey138

Re: [IC] GMK Oregon
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 24 April 2019, 02:11:43 »
Came here expecting to see Oregon Trail, surprised with something else. A bit bright for me but good luck!

Offline HungHingDaiLo

• 無間道
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 24 April 2019, 02:26:39 »
Came here expecting to see Oregon Trail, surprised with something else. A bit bright for me but good luck!

Thank you!

Offline Xynerorias

• Lubin' with glicerin
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 24 April 2019, 06:36:13 »
That's not really for me but as a UX/UI student, I'm so happy to see someone use a moodboard, we need more of these in the community! So many sets are born from someone just messing with colors on a set and finding a nice looking combination. But there's something about sets with a real inspiration, a story behind it and some work done beforehand, and not just "I like x so here you go, a set about x". Hope some people like it, that's really great, nice work dude!
« Last Edit: Wed, 24 April 2019, 06:40:07 by Xynerorias »

Offline MikeTheTiger

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 24 April 2019, 08:56:11 »
Love the colors...we need more college themed sets.

Offline HungHingDaiLo

• 無間道
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 24 April 2019, 09:14:52 »
That's not really for me but as a UX/UI student, I'm so happy to see someone use a moodboard, we need more of these in the community! So many sets are born from someone just messing with colors on a set and finding a nice looking combination. But there's something about sets with a real inspiration, a story behind it and some work done beforehand, and not just "I like x so here you go, a set about x". Hope some people like it, that's really great, nice work dude!

Thanks for the good wish and compliment, Xynerorias!
This IC is officially my first, and I hope anyone else who also share my enthusiasm towards this set could help polish it into perfection! 

Since I started brainstorming & color picking here and there, either the overall visual kinda replicates/similiar to other set already available, or gets derailed further than the base concept of what I had in mind because of 'playing it safe' considerations of using 'community-preference' base colors that kept being used over and over again. Then I made up my mind introducing 'unorthodox' color combinations :)

Quote from: MikeTheTiger

Thank you! Since you mentioned it, crossed my mind that another University in Corvallis, OR (Oregon State University (Beavers)) already have their color theme imprinted on GMK Skidata lol
« Last Edit: Wed, 24 April 2019, 09:24:05 by HungHingDaiLo »

Offline vicissitude

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 24 April 2019, 09:15:03 »

Same opinion.  :thumb:

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 24 April 2019, 10:09:32 »

Offline hineybush

• * Maker
  • student of error
    • hineybush keyboards
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 24 April 2019, 11:17:48 »
I'd prefer to see CV legends on the CR caps

Offline HungHingDaiLo

• 無間道
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 24 April 2019, 11:43:21 »
I'd prefer to see CV legends on the CR caps

Color combos not listed/not on current render like CV on CR will be on novelties/extras kit ;)
I planned to work on novelties/extras right after I create external IC form. Stay tuned!

Just buy the cheap version and spare us another GMK run :)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tai-Hao-2017-New-OEM-ABS-Green-Yellow-Orange-ANSI-104-Keycap-Cherry-Mx-/273553502859

Nooo lol

Offline Xynerorias

• Lubin' with glicerin
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 24 April 2019, 12:23:46 »
Since I started brainstorming & color picking here and there, either the overall visual kinda replicates/similiar to other set already available, or gets derailed further than the base concept of what I had in mind because of 'playing it safe' considerations of using 'community-preference' base colors that kept being used over and over again. Then I made up my mind introducing 'unorthodox' color combinations :)

That's really cool, even if some of them look nutty, just as you said many sets replicate the same pattern. I wish more people would experiment like that, step outside of the usual GMK set confort zone. So what if people don't like it and it doesn't end up in a GB? That's what ICs are for!  :thumb:

Offline dubious

• 쏘쿨
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 24 April 2019, 12:29:16 »
go beavs  :))

Offline Zeimus

• zeim.us
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 30 April 2019, 14:08:23 »
Not a fan of calling this set Oregon.

Offline HungHingDaiLo

• 無間道
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 03 May 2019, 04:14:52 »
go beavs  :))

Go Ducks! :))

Not a fan of calling this set Oregon.

I currently have three options for names. As for now I'd still rather call this set Oregon.

Offline hineybush

• * Maker
  • student of error
    • hineybush keyboards
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 03 May 2019, 10:11:28 »
new version is sick as hell

consider breaking the non-base colored caps into an add-on set?

i'd also rather see yellow spacebars instead of white
« Last Edit: Fri, 03 May 2019, 10:15:20 by hineybush »

Offline zekkin

• my entire life was unlimited zekk works
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 03 May 2019, 10:14:13 »
New version of the set looks really cool.

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 03 May 2019, 10:52:42 »
The new version looks much better. I'd even go as far as suggesting that you remove the old mockup from the OP, or at least make the pic smaller (a thumbnail), so that a person skimming the thread doesn't get the wrong idea at a glance that the old version is one of the kits.

I don't like that you're mixing upper and lower case Greek letters in the sublegends. I suggest making them all uppercase. Currently, λ, θ and π are lowercase. I realize that the lowercase variants of these letters are more recognizable, but mixing case like this doesn't make any sense, looks odd, and I'm sure that the college fraternities/sororities in Oregon don't do it either.

Also, the PrtSc, ScrLk, Pause legends are inconsistent. Either use one-line legends (Print or PrtSc, Scroll or ScrLk, Pause), or two-line/split legends for all of them.
« Last Edit: Fri, 03 May 2019, 10:55:56 by constexpr »

Offline hineybush

• * Maker
  • student of error
    • hineybush keyboards
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 03 May 2019, 11:08:17 »
The new version looks much better. I'd even go as far as suggesting that you remove the old mockup from the OP, or at least make the pic smaller (a thumbnail), so that a person skimming the thread doesn't get the wrong idea at a glance that the old version is one of the kits.

I don't like that you're mixing upper and lower case Greek letters in the sublegends. I suggest making them all uppercase. Currently, λ, θ and π are lowercase. I realize that the lowercase variants of these letters are more recognizable, but mixing case like this doesn't make any sense, looks odd, and I'm sure that the college fraternities/sororities in Oregon don't do it either.

Also, the PrtSc, ScrLk, Pause legends are inconsistent. Either use one-line legends (Print or PrtSc, Scroll or ScrLk, Pause), or two-line/split legends for all of them.

Agreed with this stuff. Consider using the obelus and X for divide/multiply on the numpad as they're cleaner and more correct imo. One-line mods are better with muted/9009/modern dolch style kits as they're a bit cleaner.

Also in for a Quack novelty

Offline coffeeshopcoder

« Reply #18 on: Fri, 03 May 2019, 11:16:35 »
GMK GreenBay Packers ???