Author Topic: Any way to de-shine stock Thermaltake Meka G1 keycaps?  (Read 4098 times)

Offline rootwyrm

• The Hands of Steel
    • My Website!
Any way to de-shine stock Thermaltake Meka G1 keycaps?
« on: Thu, 11 August 2011, 20:47:20 »
So one of my daily use boards is a Meka G1. I've only had it a few months, and it's already hit the point of driving me up a wall. I type so much that a number of keys already have a 'shine' problem. And I'm not talking just 'so shiny my monitors reflect in them' aesthetics, I'm talking 'slippery like freshly waxed floor' feel. (Two caps are actually bad enough that the top surface is noticeably more curved than others.) Anyone know of a way to salvage these keycaps before I lose the rest? Or should I just throw in the towel and plan on replacing all the keycaps every 6-9 months?
"I remain convinced I am the only person alive who has successfully worn out an IBM Model M mechanically."
Daily Drivers: Adesso 625 (NPKC PBT / Kailh Blue), Rosewill RK9000V2 (KC PBT / MX Brown), 1994 Model M13, Sun Type4, and the rare IBM 1394540.

Offline Atenacius

« Reply #1 on: Sun, 14 August 2011, 22:20:38 »
All keys will shine eventually at different rates. You could get yourself doubleshot keys and a sandblaster to rough it up when it shines and the legends won't wear out from abrasion. Sandblasting will however wear down the plastic so too many cycles will reveal the second color plastic underneath.
« Last Edit: Sun, 14 August 2011, 22:23:09 by Atenacius »

Keychron Q6 GATERON G PRO YELLOW
Vortex Pok3r CHERRY MX RED
Das Keyboard Model S CHERRY MX BLUE
IBM Model M
1391401 09 MAR 93

Offline rootwyrm

• The Hands of Steel
    • My Website!
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 15 August 2011, 22:51:39 »
Quote from: Atenacius;399055
All keys will shine eventually at different rates. You could get yourself doubleshot keys and a sandblaster to rough it up when it shines and the legends won't wear out from abrasion. Sandblasting will however wear down the plastic so too many cycles will reveal the second color plastic underneath.

Okay, then new keycaps it is. The wearing is so severe that it's not just shine - the keycaps are wearing through to the point where the most frequent keys? It's not just shine; they're actually physically wearing through. It looks like I took some 2000 grit and wet sanded the worn keys. It's a complete mess. And like I mentioned, this thing's only got about 6 months on it. I'll grant you, I am exceptionally hard on keyboards, but this is ridiculous.

Any recommendations on replacement Cherry MX Black caps that won't change the angles on the Meka G1? (Honestly I could care less about the color if they hold up to my typing.) I tried a few keycaps from one of my Cherry Browns, and they're just not quite right - too tall. :/
"I remain convinced I am the only person alive who has successfully worn out an IBM Model M mechanically."
Daily Drivers: Adesso 625 (NPKC PBT / Kailh Blue), Rosewill RK9000V2 (KC PBT / MX Brown), 1994 Model M13, Sun Type4, and the rare IBM 1394540.

Offline Arcanius

• Buckling Spring Lover
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 16 August 2011, 10:32:34 »
If you really dislike the wear, you'd best be getting PBT keys, since they're much more durable than ABS.

Offline rootwyrm

• The Hands of Steel
    • My Website!
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 16 August 2011, 15:00:29 »
Quote from: ripster;399644
Check the Key Ref Wiki.  I don't understand the "too tall" comment, looks to me like the Meka is using Filco compatible keys.

Can you take a pic of the bottom of the spacebar?

I can try when new memory card comes in. Not sure of the best way to describe it, but the Meka G1 I have is, shall we say, an interesting board to say the least. Spacebar row is expected height (though I really dislike the stabilizer for the record) but the remainder seem short. Other keycaps were feeling taller and like they were bottoming out significantly early. I'll grant you, might be psychosomatic due to the different curve on the indents.

Quote from: Arcanius
If you really dislike the wear, you'd best be getting PBT keys, since they're much more durable than ABS.

I loathe it; I'll have to look into PBT for Cherrys. I'd REALLY like what they used on the Focus FK2001, but I have NO idea what those are. Other than apparently impervious. Any suggestions where to get a full set of PBTs on a regular basis? I've got a feeling even those are going to be a 12-18 month replacement cycle. :(

Offline N8N

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 16 August 2011, 15:20:37 »
If you want shorter keys that wear longer, get some stock Cherry PBT lasered keys.  You'll need to mod the space bar...
Filco Majestouch-2 with Cherry Corp. doubleshot keys - Leopold Tenkeyless Tactile Force with Wyse doubleshots - Silicon Graphics 9500900 - WASD V1 - IBM Model M 52G9658 - Noppoo Choc Pro with Cherry lasered PBT keycaps - Wyse 900866-01 - Cherry G80-8200LPBUS/07 - Dell AT101W - several Cherry G81s (future doubleshot donors) (order of current preference) (dang I have too many keyboards, I really only need two)

Offline rootwyrm

• The Hands of Steel
    • My Website!
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 16 August 2011, 17:34:11 »
Quote from: N8N;400008
If you want shorter keys that wear longer, get some stock Cherry PBT lasered keys.  You'll need to mod the space bar...

Any suggestions where to get those? I only typically deal with stranger sorts of keycaps (IBM 2-piece, Alps whites) so I've not got the slightest idea who's selling PBT lasered keycaps. And I've got a feeling I'm going to need to order another set. :(