Author Topic: Ducky 1087XM with Black switches  (Read 5442 times)

Offline Demofly

Ducky 1087XM with Black switches
« on: Mon, 18 February 2013, 16:24:21 »
First I would like to say that I am not good at reviews lol.

Specs of the keyboard that I think are of interest:
-45g Linear switches
-Numlock that creates a number pad in the middle of the letter keys
-Only 15g required to actuate...seriously

Pros:
-Inexpensive
-TKL format
-Still has a numpad if you really need to do some hardcore data entry
-Pretty nice to type on once you get used to the actuation point

Cons:
-Key noise sounds hollow and plastic
-Very common casing defects
-Actuation point is too high for most people
-Key cap printing is fading within 3 days
-Spring weight inconsistent, some keys feel like they are heavier than others (excluding the white switches on caps, tab and numlock)
-The Tab key is 80g and I want to kill myself every time I use it
-Removable USB cable

http://global.pchome.com.tw/english/?mod=item&func=exhibit&IT_NO=DCAH0X-A59130655&SR_NO=SBAE0W&ROWNO=1&tm=e

« Last Edit: Mon, 18 February 2013, 16:27:32 by Demofly »
i5 2300 - 7870Ghz - 8GB DDR3-1600 - 21.5" Acer 1080p
HPE 87 MX Brown + Ducky PBT (purchased from Flip!) | Ducky 1087XM Xiang Min Black ALPS clones.

Offline kboardvintage

Re: Ducky 1087XM with Black switches
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 19 February 2013, 07:07:50 »
removable usb "cons"?

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
Ducky 1087XM with Black switches
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 19 February 2013, 07:42:03 »
removable usb "cons"?

I think the con of having it removable is the chance of damaging the connector from constant removal and insertion.

Offline FoxWolf1

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 17:26:24 »
removable usb "cons"?

I think the con of having it removable is the chance of damaging the connector from constant removal and insertion.

And even if you never remove the connector, the possibility of damage is still increased in most implementations: the USB cable plugs directly into a connector attached to the PCB, so there is less opportunity for stress relief than in an implementation where the cable can wrap around a post or something internally before attaching to the PCB.
Oberhofer Model 1101 | PadTech Hall Effect (Prototype) | RK RC930-104 v2 | IBM Model M | Noppoo TANK | Keycool Hero 104

Offline Demofly

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 21 February 2013, 04:49:03 »
After 5 days of use the W printed on the W key is gone.

RIP.

I have got more used to the switches and their actuation point. I'm back up to 110wpm like I usually am. Perhaps these switches have made me a more accurate typer because I have to be so careful to not accidentally nudge a key. However, if I go back to my cherry switches I am slower than I used to be. This keyboard definitely changed the way I type and it makes the 55g MX blues feel heavy.
« Last Edit: Thu, 21 February 2013, 04:51:31 by Demofly »
HPE 87 MX Brown + Ducky PBT (purchased from Flip!) | Ducky 1087XM Xiang Min Black ALPS clones.

Offline OnTheBrink

• Work Hard. Play Harder.
    • Wired In Store
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 25 February 2013, 19:11:44 »
removable usb "cons"?

And even if you never remove the connector, the possibility of damage is still increased in most implementations: the USB cable plugs directly into a connector attached to the PCB, so there is less opportunity for stress relief than in an implementation where the cable can wrap around a post or something internally before attaching to the PCB.

Since there is routing on the bottom of the keyboard, any tugging or play will not pull on the PCB but the plastic. Which is actually better than having something connected directly.

Also, being able to remove something isn't a con because you have the 'ability' to remove it a lot of times and break it, lol. That is like saying wireless headphones are a con because you may lose the battery.

Offline Demofly

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 25 February 2013, 22:38:17 »
I haven't opened the keyboard yet, so I don't know if its PCB mounted or not. But I've accidentally pulled the USB cable out by re-adjusting my feet and tugging on the cable. Also the USB port itself is wobbly. The only reason I could see removable USB being practical is if you have multiple USB cables (not provided) already set up on multiple computers, or if you had a bunch of keyboards that connect through the same mini USB type fashion.

Otherwise you still have to remove and tote the cable when you move the keyboard...

Offline OnTheBrink

• Wired In Store
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 26 February 2013, 11:38:25 »
What?

I'm saying it is beneficial especially if you want to hot swap keyboards. If you have two boards that have a removable USB, all you have to do is unplug right at your desk and attach the second keyboard without re-routing through your desk and/or attaching a new cable.

Much quicker and easier especially if you like using different boards for different tasks.

I'm sorry, I just can't gauge a removable cable being a con, especially since you can route it and revert any play to the chassis. Unless of course it's a reach to compensate for an overpriced/overhyped Filco.

Offline FoxWolf1

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 26 February 2013, 15:14:51 »
removable usb "cons"?

Since there is routing on the bottom of the keyboard, any tugging or play will not pull on the PCB but the plastic. Which is actually better than having something connected directly.

What routing? My 1008XM certainly didn't have any...the USB plugged directly into a connector at the back (not bottom) of the keyboard, and the connector attached straight to the PCB. By the pictures, it looks like the 1087XMs are the same way. No stress relief to speak of...not that mine lasted long enough for the USB connector to break, but it may well have done so, had it lasted longer.
« Last Edit: Tue, 26 February 2013, 15:16:31 by FoxWolf1 »
Oberhofer Model 1101 | PadTech Hall Effect (Prototype) | RK RC930-104 v2 | IBM Model M | Noppoo TANK | Keycool Hero 104

Offline Demofly

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 26 February 2013, 15:54:29 »
What?

I'm saying it is beneficial especially if you want to hot swap keyboards. If you have two boards that have a removable USB, all you have to do is unplug right at your desk and attach the second keyboard without re-routing through your desk and/or attaching a new cable.

Much quicker and easier especially if you like using different boards for different tasks.

I'm sorry, I just can't gauge a removable cable being a con, especially since you can route it and revert any play to the chassis. Unless of course it's a reach to compensate for an overpriced/overhyped Filco.
You're confusing the practicality of a removable USB design with the ****tiness of it's implementation on this keyboard.

Plus it's personal preference.

Offline OnTheBrink

• Wired In Store
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 27 February 2013, 15:48:14 »
What?

You're confusing the practicality of a removable USB design with the ****tiness of it's implementation on this keyboard.

Plus it's personal preference.

Ahh I got you.