Author Topic: Ducky 1087XM with Green XM switches  (Read 4368 times)

Offline jkercado

• Green XM clickclacker
Ducky 1087XM with Green XM switches
« on: Wed, 12 June 2013, 12:50:29 »
So it's been a couple of weeks already with my Ducky 1087XM. Got it for $44 shipped from PCHome. At that price it would've been silly not to buy it. I'm using it to type this review, by the way.

Keeping in mind that this is not a top-of-the-line unit, it's actually pretty good. The plastics feels a teeny bit chintzy--hard, and thin, although the texturing of the case is nice. Mine came in with the panel above the cursor keys lifted up. After studying the whole thing I figured out that the fix for this is to push in the side of the case while holding the panel in position--that'll make it snap into place. I know some other people have had this same thing happen to them. Once it snapped, the panel remains solid.

The key caps look good. I've read that they're apparently thin, but I haven't pulled any of them out to see--I'm deathly afraid of pulling ALPS keycaps. It's a phobia, the doctor told me. I really don't know what kind of labeling method was used for the key caps--definitely not tampo, maybe laser? I would let that for the experts. The labeling is done in a brownish/gold color that looks kinda neat. I like it. It's kinda strange that you can see the labeling better at an angle than head-on. Works for me, though. I got the one with all the Chinese characters, so the keys definitely look unique. The key cap casting looks sharp and I haven't seen any molding errors or sprue bits.

How does it feel to type on it? Pretty swell, I might say. There's a lot of that ALPS key wobble (yes, I know these are not "real" ALPS, but bear with me). So if you place your fingertips on the keys lightly and rock them side to side, the keys will follow. Does that bother me? Nope. I actually like the loose feel--nothing feels like it's binding. They keystroke action is so light and fluffy. I really love it.

And that's what I really like about this keyboard. Typing on it is so smooth. I like the fact that I get the switch click and activation very early on, so if you're a light typist, you'll definitely enjoy it. As a buckling spring user for years, it feels very light and I have to admit there's less strain on my fingers at the end of the day. Is it noisy? Unless you slam the keys, it's no louder than a Cherry keyboard. There's definitely some pinging going on, but again, it's very low and doesn't bother me. Oh, and the in-key Caps Lock and Num Lock lights are bright. You can't miss them.

It's definitely a very good typing experience for me. Plus the fact that it's a tenkeyless is an additional bonus; now I can place my trackball close to me and not in another zip code.

So do I recommend this keyboard? Yes. Even if the price was a bit higher, it would still be worth the cash. At $33, it's downright absurd not to get one. PCHome does a great job fulfilling the orders fast.

Get one if you can!

Ducky 1087XM Green | Unicomp Ultra Classic Black | IBM M4 | 1989 IBM Model M | Genius i200 | Cherry G84-4100 | Microsoft Arc Keyboard

Offline kmiller8

• Banned
  •  Post Reporting Timeout
  • Who is that kmiller8 guy?
Re: Ducky 1087XM with Green XM switches
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 12 June 2013, 12:57:29 »
I love these ducky Green XM switches. Good review, but be wary of the fragility(?) of the caps. As I've mentioned in a few previous posts, I've had these caps snap off their stems on multiple occasions.

Still, very recommended buy at a sub-$50 brand new mech board, and if anything get it to try out the best switches I've ever used OuO.

Offline jkercado

• Green XM clickclacker
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 12 June 2013, 13:12:13 »
I love these ducky Green XM switches. Good review, but be wary of the fragility(?) of the caps. As I've mentioned in a few previous posts, I've had these caps snap off their stems on multiple occasions.

I could see how that could happen. ALPS are notoriously hard to remove, plus the plastic in these units feels a bit hard. I'm not planning on removing any caps, unless I find a red key for Esc. Other than that, it's staying as is. I like the keycaps with all the Chinese character all over. Very unique look!

Ducky 1087XM Green | Unicomp Ultra Classic Black | IBM M4 | 1989 IBM Model M | Genius i200 | Cherry G84-4100 | Microsoft Arc Keyboard

Offline kmiller8

• Banned
  •  Post Reporting Timeout
  • Who is that kmiller8 guy?
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 12 June 2013, 13:14:36 »
I could see how that could happen. ALPS are notoriously hard to remove, plus the plastic in these units feels a bit hard. I'm not planning on removing any caps, unless I find a red key for Esc. Other than that, it's staying as is. I like the keycaps with all the Chinese character all over. Very unique look!

They broke off while typing, lol.

Granted, I do love to slam on keys when I type, the louder and more annoying, the better.

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 12 June 2013, 13:24:38 »
Wow km, no cap removal cycles before breaking them by typing?  I've got 2 broken, 1 was in transit and 1 was during removing after same messed up transit...

See my sig ;)
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline jkercado

• Green XM clickclacker
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 12 June 2013, 13:39:07 »

They broke off while typing, lol.

Granted, I do love to slam on keys when I type, the louder and more annoying, the better.

DAAAAAAANG! I'm a pretty light typist. I like the "floating fingers" technique, basically avoid bottoming out at all costs. At the end of the day my hands feel less tired. And it's especially easy to do with these switches since the activation point is so high.

Offline Tarzan

• formerly known as Greystoke
  • * Maker
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 12 June 2013, 14:03:49 »
Nice write-up!  I tried one of these same boards, but couldn't take to the switch feel.  I tend to really mash the keys, and with the initiation point at the top of the key press, I always felt like it was <click>BANG!

By the way, I replaced the keycaps a couple of times on that board, no issues whatsoever with broken stems.  I always tried to rock them gently side to side, never up and down. 

Offline y0fate

• The Holy CBass.
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 13 June 2013, 02:27:19 »
Got mine about a week ago, and so far so good. But I have noticed some unevenness of the caps printing. Out of the box a few of the cap's labels seemed to have been misprinted (or lasered whatever they were) and has a different texturing and off color to them. After just a week of moderate-heavy use my W, A, S, D, Q, E, C, N, Tab key are fading. WASDQE and Tab are used the most, and are already fading a decent amount. Overall I still enjoy the board and it is worth the $45

EDIT: Just to add the first time I laid the keyboard on my desk it was very uneven... Almost unable to even type on it. All rubber feet where in place and everything looked fine but it was very wobbly. Needless to say it was a quick and easy fix, I tried flexing it back into place (not the greatest idea) but I finally decided to fold a piece of paper and place it under the bottom left corner and just like that the problem was solved. After a day or two I took the paper out from under the keyboard and it was magically even for the first time.
« Last Edit: Thu, 13 June 2013, 02:33:17 by y0fate »
"No"- Greed