Author Topic: So I maed this :3 FacU replica + handmade acrylic case  (Read 2044 times)

Offline lolpes

So I maed this :3 FacU replica + handmade acrylic case
« on: Tue, 26 May 2015, 11:14:45 »
The reason why i joined geekhack, (asside from looking at all the pretty boards everyone has) was to learn how to build and build a keyboard for myself. And so finnally here it is :)

The board is a FaceU - Replica that i got from Paranoid over at deskthority.
The switches are gateron blues from shadovved's group buy with 100g gold springs on the modifiers and spacebar that i got from zeal :)

The case is an aluminum sheet(1.5mm) + 1.5 cm acrylic frame, milled by hand by my father and neighboor, who where carpinteers for many years.

To top it all off i got a blank galaxy class keyset from massdrop on their may bazaar, but i have plans for a keycap set in the future which involve the gmk electric bluegaloo gb that's going on :)

So not really a build log but just some photos along the build process :)

The PCB and the acrylic frames where the first things i got, and then i waited a bit more for the gaterons to arrive :)

AAAnd here they are :) really love the blue ones! best switch i've tried so far!

Here is a quick pic of them on the board before soldering

In the future if i make another board i will use a steel plate, as this one is to flimsy, and i have to be more cafull with the plate when handeling the pcb, than with the pcb itself which is a bit stupid....

As for the case, here it is finished, and like with any handmade product, a few scratches are bound the happen, and some nicks on the frame were made during its cutting. I don't mind though, after polishing, they look cool and also, my dad made it, so there is that :3

It is really sturdy and adds some weight and stability to the board, now onlye thing left to do is install rubber feet as i have been using it over a foam mouse mat :)

And finished product here, i think it matched the galaxy class set very well, especially with the leds on! Also i like the blank set more than the dyesub one :p

« Last Edit: Sat, 30 May 2015, 07:56:40 by lolpes »

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
Re: So i maed this :3 FacU replica + handmade acrylic case
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 26 May 2015, 11:17:55 »
Very nice, looks like you put a ton of work into it. I look forward to seeing more pictures!

How are you liking the 100g mods?
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
Re: So I maed this :3 FacU replica + handmade acrylic case
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 26 May 2015, 11:19:20 »
I'd love to see more pictures of the case :). Nice work so far.

Offline lolpes

Re: So i maed this :3 FacU replica + handmade acrylic case
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 26 May 2015, 11:29:08 »
Very nice, looks like you put a ton of work into it. I look forward to seeing more pictures!

How are you liking the 100g mods?

I love them :D i'm a heavy typer so they fell very nice and i love the contrast in weights to diferentiate the keys, especially with a blank set :) i need to use them more to get a better opinion(finished the board yesterday), maybe i'll consider replacing every spring if i find it better :)

Offline lolpes

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 26 May 2015, 11:29:58 »
I'd love to see more pictures of the case :). Nice work so far.

Sure! i will post more pictures when i get a chance :)

Offline lolpes

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 30 May 2015, 07:57:41 »
finnaly got a chance to upload an album of the board :) hope you enjoy it :D

Offline Evo_Spec

• (╯°ヮ°)╯︵⌨
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 30 May 2015, 08:18:54 »
Very cool! it's nice to see handmade stuff since pretty much everything is laser/CNC now.
.                 .  
GON NerD TKL DTA Edition