Author Topic: PBT 104/105 set ROUND 3 (COMPLETED)  (Read 468596 times)

Offline MsYutai

Re: PBT 104/105 set ROUND 3 [The Pitch BLACK edition] NEW choices
« Reply #500 on: Thu, 16 January 2014, 14:08:00 »
I might change my order from blanks to side printed.
I red somewhere people reporting problems with thick PBT with Costar stabilizers, if this is the case how can we prevent/fix it?

I have the Imsto Thick PBT caps on my Costar stabilizers now but not having any problems... What problems are you talking about?
CM Storm Quickfire XT - MX Reds

Roccat Kone Pure Optical|Kana v2|Zowie FK|Logitech g500s|Mionix Naos 7000|CM Spawn|Logitech Performance MX

Offline Dreamre

• kbdlife
« Reply #501 on: Thu, 16 January 2014, 14:37:18 »
Oooo...if there's side print...I may need to buy another set :o...

Offline Candyflip

• ★★★
« Reply #502 on: Thu, 16 January 2014, 14:42:40 »
I red somewhere people reporting problems with thick PBT with Costar stabilizers, if this is the case how can we prevent/fix it?

I have the Imsto Thick PBT caps on my Costar stabilizers now but not having any problems... What problems are you talking about?
I am not sure where but I heard that they feel scratchy, maybe it is just wrong I don't know either way I ordered a set :))
This sucks more than anything that has ever sucked before.

Offline taylordcraig

• New Keyboard Enthusiast [needs to learn to solder]
« Reply #503 on: Thu, 16 January 2014, 17:53:17 »
I check back now and then, still waiting to throw money at this when it goes into production.

Offline KaLam1ty

« Reply #504 on: Thu, 16 January 2014, 18:57:50 »
I have yet to experience Cherry profile and everyone seems to say they're better than OEM.

Sure, they look a lot nicer, but do any of you guys find that they have a better typing experience?
Also, since they are lower in profile, will O-rings not work with them? Do the stems sink in lower in the switches? Or are they as long as OEM?
Lastly, will there be any Modifier-Only sets? I would like to get the letter keyset, but most of my modifier layouts have been changed (i.e. CapsLock -> Backspace)
and would like to keep my keyboard consistent with my own typing experience by keeping them blank.

I'm tempted to pick up a set, but I want to know a little more about the set before I commit.

Offline Latin00032

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #505 on: Thu, 16 January 2014, 19:04:51 »
Better typing experience IMO.

The cross supports under the cherry cap are generally the same distance to the top of the mx housing as oem.

I don't think the stem lengths are too different. Their might be a marginal difference.

Offline LechnerDE

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #506 on: Fri, 17 January 2014, 00:43:59 »
I have yet to experience Cherry profile and everyone seems to say they're better than OEM.

Sure, they look a lot nicer, but do any of you guys find that they have a better typing experience?
Also, since they are lower in profile, will O-rings not work with them? Do the stems sink in lower in the switches? Or are they as long as OEM?
Lastly, will there be any Modifier-Only sets? I would like to get the letter keyset, but most of my modifier layouts have been changed (i.e. CapsLock -> Backspace)
and would like to keep my keyboard consistent with my own typing experience by keeping them blank.

I'm tempted to pick up a set, but I want to know a little more about the set before I commit.

1. The typing experiene is way better in my opinion, but that is personal preference of course. I never had problems with OEM height until I tried Cherry profile. Now it feels really awkward to type on higher keys.

2. Certain O-Rings will work. IMSTO offers smaller O-Rings for Cherry profile and bigger O-Rings for OEM profile.

3. There won't be any Modifier sets. It's only the full set or nothing. Of course you can order a full set and sell the Alphas in the classifieds later.

Offline atlas3686

• HHKB Elite
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Preacher at the church of Thorpe
« Reply #507 on: Fri, 17 January 2014, 01:35:58 »
Side printed black on black dyesubs would be something out of the ordinary! Might have to change my order if that happens. Any word on an option to get extra ctrl & caps lock so they can be switched like Realforce boards?

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #508 on: Fri, 17 January 2014, 14:06:57 »
The only way you can get some alternate layout is if you want to meet the minimum 20set tier. If you can do that I will do the set up to print any layout in any font you would like.

Offline carlo

« Reply #509 on: Sat, 18 January 2014, 09:02:14 »
I'm in for dvorak layout (18 to go)

Offline TheSoulhunter

• Thorpelicious!
« Reply #510 on: Sat, 18 January 2014, 11:05:28 »
I'm for HHKB layout,
I'd buy 3 sets :3

Offline TheSoulhunter

• Thorpelicious!
« Reply #511 on: Sat, 18 January 2014, 11:11:41 »
Btw, how about asking vendors like EliteKeyboards, MechKeyboards, WASD Keyboards, etc. to join?
People were always asking em for thick PBT caps, and if one or two join we would probably hit the MOQ!

Offline TheSoulhunter

• Thorpelicious!
« Reply #512 on: Sat, 18 January 2014, 11:16:59 »

Some people reported the wire of the stabs would grind on the inside of the cap when you press the key.
Perhaps the combo of thick PBT caps in Cherry profile + new (LED friendly) style Costar stabs...

Offline strict

• TKL Zealot
« Reply #513 on: Sat, 18 January 2014, 13:52:31 »

Some people reported the wire of the stabs would grind on the inside of the cap when you press the key.
Perhaps the combo of thick PBT caps in Cherry profile + new (LED friendly) style Costar stabs...

From what I've read the grinding/hanging issue is pretty hit or miss and only affects costar stabs. Some people don't have any issues and others claim the afflicted keys border on unusable. The fix is usually to lightly sand down the inside wall of the keycap that rubs on the stabilizer.

This post has some good info and even some pictures to illustrate this - http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=26454#msg497261
« Last Edit: Sat, 18 January 2014, 13:59:03 by strict »

Realforce EK45 (Silenced)  |  Realforce 87UW (45g)  |  Realforce 87UWS (Variable)
Filco MJ2 TKL (Cherry Clears)  |  Phantom 87 (78g Gateron Clears)  |  Phantom 86 (67g Zealios)

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #514 on: Sat, 18 January 2014, 13:56:12 »
I've made vendors aware some time ago. There are a few interested but they have not made a 100% commitment yet. Once I find out about pricing and such from Plum and pricing for alternate add on option with GMK ABS I can probably get them to finalize.

Offline mooswa

« Reply #515 on: Sat, 18 January 2014, 16:02:40 »
The only way you can get some alternate layout is if you want to meet the minimum 20set tier. If you can do that I will do the set up to print any layout in any font you would like.

Are you saying that for example if out of the folks already in on the black on black set, 20 would ask you to have Control instead of Caps Lock you would add this as an option? Sorry if am being dense.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #516 on: Sat, 18 January 2014, 17:52:07 »
This offer is more geared towards a reseller. Basically it's an incentive so they can have some 'unique' set to avoid competition with other reseller selling 100% identical set otherwise. It's just something to give a differentiation. Say for example they could get some sets made with US/KO layout and use Gulim typeface. While another reseller could have sets in some edgier font like Knarf Art.

However if a group of people want to pool together to have something specific made I won't stop you of course.

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #517 on: Sat, 18 January 2014, 18:12:35 »

From what I've read the grinding/hanging issue is pretty hit or miss and only affects costar stabs. Some people don't have any issues and others claim the afflicted keys border on unusable. The fix is usually to lightly sand down the inside wall of the keycap that rubs on the stabilizer.

This post has some good info and even some pictures to illustrate this - http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=26454#msg497261

I had a set of Imsto thick PBT that would get stuck when I bottomed out the enter and shift keys. But after about 2 days of good use they were broken in and stopped sticking.
Some of Ye ole  Keyboards -->
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline reziak

• Topre/60% Enthusiast
« Reply #518 on: Sat, 18 January 2014, 22:20:34 »
Is there a deadline for this buy? Or does it just go when the MOQ is met? Sorry if this answered somewhere already.

HHKB Pro 2 | FC660C | HHKB Pro 2 Type-S

Offline WinterIsle

« Reply #519 on: Sun, 19 January 2014, 01:22:18 »
Is there a deadline for this buy? Or does it just go when the MOQ is met? Sorry if this answered somewhere already.
No deadline yet, this gb only need to met the MOQ.

Offline reziak

• Topre/60% Enthusiast
« Reply #520 on: Mon, 20 January 2014, 11:25:45 »
No deadline yet, this gb only need to met the MOQ.

Cool, thanks :)

HHKB Pro 2 | FC660C | HHKB Pro 2 Type-S

Offline geogga

• gosh dang GH and their GBs
« Reply #521 on: Mon, 20 January 2014, 20:27:32 »
Tis a shame it hasn't hit MOQ already; I see tons of people asking for blank PBT sets all the time and not taking this opportunity is gonna hurt people in the long run..

Offline 1pq

• Hipster Doofus
« Reply #522 on: Mon, 20 January 2014, 21:24:14 »
indeed. I hope we reach MOQ soon!
main kbs:  87UB (55g)  Custom Filco TKL (62g clears)

WTS JD40, Custom Ergoclear Filco

WTB ROHS Red BBv2 (Topre), OG EK Tri-Color Skull (TOPRE)

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #523 on: Tue, 21 January 2014, 12:29:18 »
Some good news, some bad news... in regard to PLUM their MOQ is 100 sets lower which is the good news. The bad news is imsto says there is some problem with 1.5 mods and 1.75 shifts so they won't make those available to us at this time. So I will go with the original idea to offer blank ABS adapter kit from GMK. GMK promised to have the quote for that and the EDOX kit to me in a few more days so I should be able to get all options finalized and update accordingly by end of week.

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #524 on: Tue, 21 January 2014, 12:43:28 »

Some good news, some bad news... in regard to PLUM their MOQ is 100 sets lower which is the good news. The bad news is imsto says there is some problem with 1.5 mods and 1.75 shifts so they won't make those available to us at this time. So I will go with the original idea to offer blank ABS adapter kit from GMK. GMK promised to have the quote for that and the EDOX kit to me in a few more days so I should be able to get all options finalized and update accordingly by end of week.

Is the issue with 1.5 mods and 1.75 shifts an issue at Plum factory? Or at imsto's factory? Or are we still working with imsto to go through plum? I am confuse.

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Church of the Ergo Clear
« Reply #525 on: Tue, 21 January 2014, 12:49:50 »

Is the issue with 1.5 mods and 1.75 shifts an issue at Plum factory? Or at imsto's factory? Or are we still working with imsto to go through plum? I am confuse.

I don't think Plum offers those sizes, if Imsto can't offer them then we're SOL. GMK blanks aren't the worst thing in the world though!
It's a good width!  If it's half-width it's too narrow, and full-width is too wide. 

[WTT] bueller's trade thread - CLACKS WANTED

Offline taylordcraig

• New Keyboard Enthusiast [needs to learn to solder]
« Reply #526 on: Tue, 21 January 2014, 13:00:25 »
I'll take GMK blanks. Honestly my problem is owning keyboards with dumb layouts.

Offline strict

• TKL Zealot
« Reply #527 on: Tue, 21 January 2014, 13:09:47 »

Forgive my ignorance, but can you give us some more info about the issue with the 1.5 and 1.75 keys? From what I understand that means we would have three GMK ABS keys and the rest PBT? Personally I would much rather have a higher MOQ if it meant we would have a full PBT set rather than a mixed PBT/ABS set. I use tab and backslash non-stop and for those keys to be ABS would be very close to being a deal-breaker for me.

Edit - Is this graphic correct for which keys would be ABS? http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/media/keycap_layout.jpg
« Last Edit: Tue, 21 January 2014, 13:30:54 by strict »

Realforce EK45 (Silenced)  |  Realforce 87UW (45g)  |  Realforce 87UWS (Variable)
Filco MJ2 TKL (Cherry Clears)  |  Phantom 87 (78g Gateron Clears)  |  Phantom 86 (67g Zealios)

Offline Latin00032

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #528 on: Tue, 21 January 2014, 13:39:46 »
I think the pbt is going to be the standard layout in the OP pictures. But, ABS keys are going to be added to support the other modifiers and the iso kit.

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #529 on: Tue, 21 January 2014, 13:42:43 »

Forgive my ignorance, but can you give us some more info about the issue with the 1.5 and 1.75 keys? From what I understand that means we would have three GMK ABS keys and the rest PBT? Personally I would much rather have a higher MOQ if it meant we would have a full PBT set rather than a mixed PBT/ABS set. I use tab and backslash non-stop and for those keys to be ABS would be very close to being a deal-breaker for me.

Edit - Is this graphic correct for which keys would be ABS? http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/media/keycap_layout.jpg

The keys affected as far as I know are the 1.75 right shift, 1.5 ctrl/alt (not a problem unless you have an old keyboard or Korean custom) and possibly ISO keys.
It's a good width!  If it's half-width it's too narrow, and full-width is too wide. 

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #530 on: Tue, 21 January 2014, 14:27:57 »
OK... sorry for being confusing. I have explained this before but it's spread around the thread in several posts so I will just summarize the situation.
Originally we were going to have them made with KBC Cherry thicks like my previous PBT groupbuys, and the OP still reflects that. Then I found out it was possible to get PBTs from another source, PLUM. Plum makes their own keycaps, and uses Cherry thick on the Neo Zelia, and Plum96 models. They also make the Choc mini - which is where the 1.5 and 1.75 would have come from. Unfortunately they won't offer those keys to other customer at this time... I guess the molds are owned by/exclusive for Noppoo or something like this.

Regardless if go with KBC or PLUM... now we have the same key selection, same limitation there... but PLUM has a smaller MOQ which is helpful. The dyesubbing is actually like a 3rd party service with imsto, so it dosen't really matter to them where the keycap is from.
Now where GMK comes in, is neither PBT source can supply us with 1.5 mods, 1.75 shifts, ISO enter, 7x spacebar or nice windowed lock keys. So either we can use a few ABS keys to make the set work for some more keyboards or have nothing... I will let buyer decide by offering a choice. If you want the GMK ABS extras, it will be separate item for extra cost so you can get them if you need/want them.

I hope this explains better what is going on and makes sense to you all.

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #531 on: Tue, 21 January 2014, 14:30:37 »
How thick are the PBT caps from SP?

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #532 on: Tue, 21 January 2014, 14:31:15 »
I refuse to use SP for any reason. I ****ing HATE DCS.

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
PBT 104/105 set ROUND 3 [The Pitch BLACK edition] NEW choices
« Reply #533 on: Tue, 21 January 2014, 14:52:24 »
Thank you very much for the clear explanation, Ivan  :thumb: . You answered all of my questions.

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #534 on: Tue, 21 January 2014, 15:38:53 »

You preach the truth. I am thankful to find a like-minded individual.
Quickfire TK MX Blue Corsair K60 MX Red Ducky Shine 3 Yellow TKL MX Blue Leopold FC660C
Current best: 162 wpm.

Offline fuus

• All Year Christmas!
« Reply #535 on: Tue, 21 January 2014, 16:34:40 »
order submitted! Thanks Lysol. I mean, erm, Ivan  :cool:
Filco - Browns

Past: Ergodox - Reds / IBM SSK / Spirit 87% - Clears / Dell AT101W

Offline Latin00032

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #536 on: Tue, 21 January 2014, 16:57:10 »

I have two dcs sets. After using dsa and gmk, I can't go back to dcs.

I can't get past the thinness and the bottom two rows of the dcs profile.

Offline strict

• TKL Zealot
« Reply #537 on: Tue, 21 January 2014, 17:02:14 »
The keys affected as far as I know are the 1.75 right shift, 1.5 ctrl/alt (not a problem unless you have an old keyboard or Korean custom) and possibly ISO keys.

Thank you for clarifying that. So for a Filco board it is essentially a non-issue? I could have a complete PBT set?

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #538 on: Tue, 21 January 2014, 20:48:57 »

I have two dcs sets. After using dsa and gmk, I can't go back to dcs.

I can't get past the thinness and the bottom two rows of the dcs profile.

Ah, I know what you mean now. I just thought that aesthetically the DCS seemed rather ugly compared to Cherry and OEM profile, could just be me.
How do spherical caps feel? I've always been scared away because they aren't sculptured, but what do you think of them in typing?
Quickfire TK MX Blue Corsair K60 MX Red Ducky Shine 3 Yellow TKL MX Blue Leopold FC660C

Offline tbc

« Reply #539 on: Tue, 21 January 2014, 23:42:04 »

Thank you for clarifying that. So for a Filco board it is essentially a non-issue? I could have a complete PBT set?

yes. your filco will 100% pbt.

How do spherical caps feel? I've always been scared away because they aren't sculptured, but what do you think of them in typing?

if you're really precise with your typing (always hitting the center) OR you're so unprecise that you end up hitting the corner/side edges of the top surface anyways (me), DSA won't be a problem if you can hold a iphone 4 nicely (so if you're not a tiny asian girl, you're fine), except possibly the f-row.  people who are 'medium' accurate will find that they hit the edge of the cap since the top is smaller.

you DO feel like the lack of sculpting in the number row and to a lesser degree, the spacebar row.  will that affect typing?  for a 60wpm typer, not an issue (for more than that, i can't say).  also something to note, for some reason, DSA caps FEEL like there is more than 4mm of tracal, making it easier to not bottom out.
« Last Edit: Tue, 21 January 2014, 23:48:43 by tbc »
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #540 on: Wed, 22 January 2014, 01:41:50 »

yes. your filco will 100% pbt.

if you're really precise with your typing (always hitting the center) OR you're so unprecise that you end up hitting the corner/side edges of the top surface anyways (me), DSA won't be a problem if you can hold a iphone 4 nicely (so if you're not a tiny asian girl, you're fine), except possibly the f-row.  people who are 'medium' accurate will find that they hit the edge of the cap since the top is smaller.

you DO feel like the lack of sculpting in the number row and to a lesser degree, the spacebar row.  will that affect typing?  for a 60wpm typer, not an issue (for more than that, i can't say).  also something to note, for some reason, DSA caps FEEL like there is more than 4mm of tracal, making it easier to not bottom out.

Hmm, I couldn't imagine that lack of sculpting would be that bad, but I imagine that it would be noticeable in a somewhat unpleasant sense. Spherical as you describe it seems quite good, perhaps I'll give it a try in my spare time.

As far as not bottoming out, that's not a problem, haha. Typing without bottoming out on OEM caps isn't too bad, even at 150 wpm+.

Offline naasfu

• The Curator
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • CURSE YOU HE-MAN
« Reply #541 on: Wed, 22 January 2014, 01:51:46 »
Just a placed an order for black on black.  ;D
a cute stray cat combination that comes out happily when you look at your face is cute

WANTED: gib clacks        post your mspaints!        post your rubber domes!

Offline Nithix

« Reply #542 on: Wed, 22 January 2014, 02:05:42 »
Still haven't placed an order quite yet. Was there any more word on doing a Filco Ninja-Style side print dyesub? If so, how much are we looking at? I really want to place an order for these, but I'm a bit tight on cash and am not sure if I'm good enough a typist for the complete blanks. I can touch type fine outside of some of the lesser used ones like brackets and what not, lol.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #543 on: Wed, 22 January 2014, 07:50:13 »
If I placed an order using the form already, can I use the form again to add another set to my order?

Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline LechnerDE

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #544 on: Wed, 22 January 2014, 07:57:20 »
If I placed an order using the form already, can I use the form again to add another set to my order?

If you saved the link from your first order you can edit it.

Otherwise you have to place a new order, but keep in mind that you overwrite your first order if you place a second one. So in your case the second order has to contain two separate sets and not just one.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #545 on: Wed, 22 January 2014, 08:22:11 »

If you saved the link from your first order you can edit it.

Otherwise you have to place a new order, but keep in mind that you overwrite your first order if you place a second one. So in your case the second order has to contain two separate sets and not just one.

Great! Thanks for the info :)

I didn't save the old link, so I'll make a new order with both sets.

I really hope this meets MOQ soon.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline ynrozturk

« Reply #546 on: Wed, 22 January 2014, 09:02:50 »
Me too. The printing on my stock Poker II keys are beginning to fade..
IBM Model F | IMB Model M | Poker II MX Brown | Poker II MX Clear | Filco TKL MX Brown | Bastardized Razer Blackwidow TE MX Blue | Logitech G602 |  Cyborg R.A.T. 7 | | Logitech MX518 | Icemat  | Artisan Hien

Offline eujin1994

« Reply #547 on: Wed, 22 January 2014, 09:15:07 »
Wish I can have my own layout. But meh, I need at least 20 sets to get them. :(

Question, legends are still black if I'm able to have my own layout?

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #548 on: Wed, 22 January 2014, 12:03:52 »
With dyesub you can only have a darker color than the keycap, so on a black set that does limit you to an even darker black for legends. If you want to order 20+ for a specific layout can also have laser option if you would rather to get a lighter legend color. Laser is same price as dyesub.

Still some discussion going on about doing sideprint. It may become an option, just keep an eye on the OP if it appears there. Sideprint dyesub would be same price as rest of printed set.

Offline t2russo

« Reply #549 on: Wed, 22 January 2014, 12:28:50 »

I would be very down with getting one each of a blank, Cherry replica, and side-print makeup.