Author Topic: What's Bothering You? (The thread about what is bothering you.)  (Read 4201108 times)

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
Re: What's Bothering You? (The thread about what is bothering you.)
« Reply #5500 on: Thu, 06 August 2015, 15:08:57 »
My dad's car was vandalized this morning. My dad is openly in a couple of demographics that are subject to hate crimes, so it has me really really freaked. :( Especially since both our cars were parked out front and there was nothing on mine.

This is really terrible. I just don't understand how people can be so closed minded.  :-[

In my opinion, it's lack of education and/or poor family environment (read: ****ty parents) about 95% of the time. 5% of the time the person is just a natural bastard, though possibly exacerbated by lack of education and poor family environment.

lack of education and poor family environment are just common consequences of "being poor" (economically)...

In the modern world, theoretically, no one should be poor, and yet here with are... Income disparity hundreds of billions to 1..

We really must look inward as the majority of us has silently accepted that inequality by submitting to personal greed.

everything you said up to that last sentence actually made sense...
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #5501 on: Thu, 06 August 2015, 15:09:27 »
one of my mouse buttons stopped working  >:D

Offline ttzhou

• in your base, belonging
« Reply #5502 on: Thu, 06 August 2015, 15:10:12 »

excuse to buy a new mouse :D

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #5503 on: Thu, 06 August 2015, 15:13:17 »

Were you the one who recommended the Anker? I have had mine for half a year and I love it, even more than the Wow Joy. And build quality is much higher, too.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #5504 on: Thu, 06 August 2015, 15:24:22 »
I currently have an iPhone 5S through work.  A few days ago, the home button stopped working.  I called IT today to see what my options are.  They will replace my phone with an iPhone 6.

This would be great news if I hadn't bought a new case from Third Man Records that I absolutely love (and is the first case I actually wanted to put on my phone).  They do not offer any cases for the iPhone 6.

RIP iPhone 5S case 2015/08/02-2015/08/06

:'(

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #5505 on: Thu, 06 August 2015, 15:25:01 »

Were you the one who recommended the Anker? I have had mine for half a year and I love it, even more than the Wow Joy. And build quality is much higher, too.

It's always possible but I heard about the anker from binge, I'm currently using a G700s however.

excuse to buy a new mouse :D

But its still under warranty, I'm rough on mice because this one was a warranty replacement itself  :))

• * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #5506 on: Thu, 06 August 2015, 15:26:11 »
I currently have an iPhone 5S through work.  A few days ago, the home button stopped working.  I called IT today to see what my options are.  They will replace my phone with an iPhone 6.

This would be great news if I hadn't bought a new case from Third Man Records that I absolutely love (and is the first case I actually wanted to put on my phone).  They do not offer any cases for the iPhone 6.

wow... we only give the high-up executives iPhone 6's at my company... everyone else is still on the 5S...

can't you request another 5S? don't they have spares lying around?
tp thread is tp thread

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #5507 on: Thu, 06 August 2015, 15:31:44 »

wow... we only give the high-up executives iPhone 6's at my company... everyone else is still on the 5S...

We switched everyone over to the 6 soon after release, and I don't think they have any left.  It's not really the end of the world, I think I'll like the 6, I just really liked that case.   :-X   :))

Offline beehatch

• baehatch
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #5508 on: Thu, 06 August 2015, 15:35:50 »

We switched everyone over to the 6 soon after release, and I don't think they have any left.  It's not really the end of the world, I think I'll like the 6, I just really liked that case.   :-X   :))

Turn the case into a fridge magnet. Boom!

• * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #5509 on: Thu, 06 August 2015, 15:36:50 »

must be nice to have modern technology in the workplace...

the internal phone system in my company still runs on a Pentium III and Windows Server 2000 :eek:

and despite the fact that our voicemail system runs on a greenscreen and is going to self-destruct by mid-November, they won't replace any of it due to budget concerns...
« Last Edit: Thu, 06 August 2015, 15:38:23 by Computer-Lab in Basement »
tp thread is tp thread

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #5510 on: Thu, 06 August 2015, 15:43:30 »

Turn the case into a fridge magnet. Boom!

I do have a fridge...  :D  Might do this.

the internal phone system in my company still runs on a Pentium III and Windows Server 2000 :eek:

and despite the fact that our voicemail system runs on a greenscreen and is going to self-destruct by mid-November, they won't replace any of it due to budget concerns...

Haha, sometimes nice, sometimes not.  :P  Seems like we're quick to upgrade some things like this, but not other things that are actually production-relevant. 
* HoffmanMyster shrugs
All part of working for a large corporation.   :rolleyes:   (really don't mind it)

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #5511 on: Thu, 06 August 2015, 16:43:44 »
« Last Edit: Tue, 11 August 2015, 15:12:51 by esoomenona »

Offline jerue

• (Whenever that happens :P)
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #5512 on: Thu, 06 August 2015, 17:14:04 »
http://www.amazon.com/Satechi%C2%AE-Bluetooth-Button-Series-Samsung/dp/B00RM75NOW

I am now bothered by the media button as this could have saved me quite a bit of trouble (and money).

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #5513 on: Thu, 06 August 2015, 17:31:48 »
More

I'm with you there.  I still have to use my personal phone for work when I'm not in the office.  Our database software was also made in either the '90s or early 2000s, so it's utter **** that constantly crashes, locks us out, has interface and network errors, and lacks a lot of basic functionality that would streamline my work.  I cannot tell you how many times I've had to print something out from a page so that I could then scan it into the same database.  When it gets really crazy is e-Faxes.  We sometimes have to print something out, scan it in, convert that image scan (jpgs or pngs) into a Word Document, sometimes convert that into a PDF, then go through the whole process of attaching it to the fax.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #5514 on: Fri, 07 August 2015, 01:22:16 »
The average time I spent on one task at work yesterday before I got interrupted to do something else was 17 minutes.

Our timesheets have 15 minute granularity (i.e. time is recorded in 15 minute intervals).

It's usually somewhere nearer 30 minutes (although sitting at 19 minutes so far today).

Productivity?  We don't need any of that around here!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #5515 on: Fri, 07 August 2015, 02:07:05 »
not-much

jus'surfin

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #5516 on: Fri, 07 August 2015, 05:27:46 »

We are currently trialing our new work desktop which has only just gone out to the IT guys. It's Windows 8... Most people are still using Blackberry Curve models as their work phones, although we have just had a rollout of Glaxy S5s.

The Windows 8 roll out is awful, because we are moving from IE9 to IE11 and still have the same ****ty thin clients which means that all the new crap running on websites nowadays just doesn't work because the complete lack of processing power. It's really really terrible.
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #5517 on: Fri, 07 August 2015, 05:28:14 »
not-much

Show Image

jus'surfin

HAHAHAHAHAHA
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #5518 on: Fri, 07 August 2015, 07:28:23 »
not-much

Show Image

jus'surfin

But...how did you upload to imgur?  :))

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #5519 on: Fri, 07 August 2015, 07:35:10 »
not-much

Show Image

jus'surfin

I had to switch to someone else's network (one of the features of being a BT customer is that with your account details you can login to a 'BT-Open Zone' wireless network from someone else's router and share the wifi of other BT customers (who allow it) and connect that way), it's the only way I can get a secure connection atm.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #5520 on: Fri, 07 August 2015, 07:36:13 »
not-much

Show Image

jus'surfin

I had to switch to someone else's network (one of the features of being a BT customer is that with your account details you can login to a 'BT-Open Zone' wireless network from someone else's router and share the wifi of other BT customers (who allow it) and connect that way), it's the only way I can get a secure connection atm.

Oh wow, that's interesting.  Strange that a neighbor has a fine connection and yours went to ****.  :confused:

Offline osi

« Reply #5521 on: Fri, 07 August 2015, 07:36:29 »
not-much

Show Image

jus'surfin

Still better than the 56k I had to use until I got to college :D :D

Offline Fire Brand

• Keeper of Rainbows
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • BISCUITS!
« Reply #5522 on: Fri, 07 August 2015, 07:37:31 »
not-much

Show Image

jus'surfin

You are having issues too that's good to hear the. I hope it's bt  mine was down and up last night ended up running around changing all the filters as the line noise is like 9Db and it should only be 6 .-. Hope they fix this soon :x
My Youtube Channel ~
More
Keyboards owned
More
Poker II - MX Black, Poker II ISO - MX Blue :c QFR ISO - MX Black, HHKB Pro 2 Black, VA68M - Gat Blacks w/68g Gold springs
My classified thread :3
More

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #5523 on: Fri, 07 August 2015, 07:38:37 »
not-much

Show Image

jus'surfin

Oh wow, that's interesting.  Strange that a neighbor has a fine connection and yours went to ****.  :confused:

Yup, if there's had gone to **** then I'd chalk it up to BT being ****, but there connection is fine while mine, isn't. So yeah... going to be having a fun 'online chat session' with them when I get back home from work...

Offline Goggles2114

• Cheapie Theatre
« Reply #5524 on: Fri, 07 August 2015, 07:43:11 »
The fact intel graphics are **** and that the 'new' computer Igot basically for my birthday is eight years old (and still a hell of a lot nicer than the eleven year old heap I'd been using) since basically it isn't just me that's broke but my entire family is broke.

I'm bothered by how people took to the streets not to put congress's heads on pikes for threatening the economy and using terroristic tactics to try getting their way to defund the ACA but to boycotte the healthcare act.. not for legitimate reasons but instead laying it all at Obama's feet, when it's congress that took an existing framework 'their' team came up with in Massachusits and then shat all over it to make it as distasteful as possible.

It bothers me we don't have universal healthcare on par with canada and england.

It bothers me because my family has been hovering on broke for twenty years due to medical bills associated with both of my special needs siblings and most recently my mom having heart problems.

It bothers me worst of all I haven't been able to do a goddamned thing about any of it.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #5525 on: Fri, 07 August 2015, 08:53:40 »
Came home late. Woke up early. Hate today.
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline ttzhou

• in your base, belonging
« Reply #5526 on: Fri, 07 August 2015, 09:34:47 »
The fact intel graphics are **** and that the 'new' computer Igot basically for my birthday is eight years old (and still a hell of a lot nicer than the eleven year old heap I'd been using) since basically it isn't just me that's broke but my entire family is broke.

I'm bothered by how people took to the streets not to put congress's heads on pikes for threatening the economy and using terroristic tactics to try getting their way to defund the ACA but to boycotte the healthcare act.. not for legitimate reasons but instead laying it all at Obama's feet, when it's congress that took an existing framework 'their' team came up with in Massachusits and then shat all over it to make it as distasteful as possible.

It bothers me we don't have universal healthcare on par with canada and england.

It bothers me because my family has been hovering on broke for twenty years due to medical bills associated with both of my special needs siblings and most recently my mom having heart problems.

It bothers me worst of all I haven't been able to do a goddamned thing about any of it.

that sucks man...  :( as a canadian, I admit that sometimes I get fed up with the high taxes I have to pay for healthcare I almost never use, but it's stories like this that make me understand why we have it.

all I can say is hang in there - it will get better! (empty words, I know, but hopefully I can send some positive energy and luck your way)  :thumb:

Offline PunksDead

• hspernks
  • keyboard poser
« Reply #5527 on: Fri, 07 August 2015, 09:35:16 »
TL;DR of my last 3 months, Job hunting and Apartment searching to no avail,

now my issue

I have an upcoming interview with a dispatching company in two weeks for a fulltime + Benes for $22 an hour, but the job wont start until October/November.

I just received an interview for a fulltime + Benes bank position for $12 an hour, and the job would be starting in a week.

my current situation is a parttime frozen warehouse  loader $11 an hour part time (fulltime hours) no benes.

If i take the bank job i can only work there for about a month or two before i swap to the higher paying job. I would have burned bridges with my current company since i cannot give 2 weeks notice because the job will start immediately and its a better job. Then i will be leaving to start the $22 an hour job which will burn bridges with the bank seeing they spent time training me thinking im taking them as a career path.

I dont wanna not try out the bank in case the dispatch job doesn't happen and be stuck in my current COLD AS **** situation, basically im going to screw over 2 companies for the chance at a big boy job.

... MURICA
don't come to my funeral, there wont be one

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #5528 on: Fri, 07 August 2015, 09:39:10 »

now my issue

I have an upcoming interview with a dispatching company in two weeks for a fulltime + Benes for $22 an hour, but the job wont start until October/November.

I just received an interview for a fulltime + Benes bank position for $12 an hour, and the job would be starting in a week.

my current situation is a parttime frozen warehouse  loader $11 an hour part time (fulltime hours) no benes.

If i take the bank job i can only work there for about a month or two before i swap to the higher paying job. I would have burned bridges with my current company since i cannot give 2 weeks notice because the job will start immediately and its a better job. Then i will be leaving to start the $22 an hour job which will burn bridges with the bank seeing they spent time training me thinking im taking them as a career path.

I dont wanna not try out the bank in case the dispatch job doesn't happen and be stuck in my current COLD AS **** situation, basically im going to screw over 2 companies for the chance at a big boy job.

... MURICA

Damn punks.. Good luck with the interviews!

Offline iamtootallforthis

• Something a lot Funnier
  • * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #5529 on: Fri, 07 August 2015, 09:40:56 »

now my issue

... MURICA

Sometimes people get screwed over, it's a fact of life. I wouldn't worry too much about not being able to give two weeks notice to your warehouse job. Just let them know the situation as soon as you can and if they get pissed off so be it. It is your life and you come first.

Same thing with the bank. Just let them know the situation as soon as possible. They don't need to know all the details of the situation, really just that you were offered a better job.

Offline PunksDead

• hspernks
  • keyboard poser
« Reply #5530 on: Fri, 07 August 2015, 09:42:08 »

now my issue

... MURICA

Damn punks.. Good luck with the interviews!

thanks they are always super awkward, after working over nights for 3 years in a warehouse with convict ass dudes my social skills have changed abit. If i can get through the interview without dropping a "yall mutha ****as" than i consider it a success getting the job or not :P

Offline iri

« Reply #5531 on: Fri, 07 August 2015, 09:44:00 »

now my issue

... MURICA
move to YUROP and live on benefits. problem solved!
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #5532 on: Fri, 07 August 2015, 09:45:48 »
If the company is pleased with you, they'll let you go for a job you consider better, because that's what a good company do, care about the humans behind their job.
If the company is a **** to you for leaving, it wasn't worth staying there anyway.

Azerty Propagandiste

Offline iamtootallforthis

• Something a lot Funnier
  • * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #5533 on: Fri, 07 August 2015, 09:47:43 »
If the company is pleased with you, they'll let you go for a job you consider better, because that's what a good company do, care about the humans behind their job.
If the company is a **** to you for leaving, it wasn't worth staying there anyway.

+1

Offline PunksDead

• hspernks
  • keyboard poser
« Reply #5534 on: Fri, 07 August 2015, 09:48:27 »

now my issue

... MURICA
move to YUROP and live on benefits. problem solved!

I would love to live in Europe, plan on vacationing there this year to check it out  :thumb:

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #5535 on: Fri, 07 August 2015, 11:38:10 »

Not only will an understanding company encourage you to go out and do better for yourself, but if the company truly appreciates you, they will make you offers to try and keep you. 

And keep this in mind hipster.  A majority of companies in the US don't care about you.  That is especially true of banks.  You should never feel bad about screwing one over to get a better job since they would all gladly screw you over to make a few more dollars.  It's different with some smaller companies, but that holds true for most companies out there, especially medium to large companies.  Do what's best for you and don't worry about burning bridges unless you're worried that the job may not work out and you want to be able to come back to the old job.

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #5536 on: Fri, 07 August 2015, 12:40:09 »

Not only will an understanding company encourage you to go out and do better for yourself, but if the company truly appreciates you, they will make you offers to try and keep you. 

And keep this in mind hipster.  A majority of companies in the US don't care about you.  That is especially true of banks.  You should never feel bad about screwing one over to get a better job since they would all gladly screw you over to make a few more dollars.  It's different with some smaller companies, but that holds true for most companies out there, especially medium to large companies.  Do what's best for you and don't worry about burning bridges unless you're worried that the job may not work out and you want to be able to come back to the old job.

Hey!  It's the new generation!  Screw everyone!

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #5537 on: Fri, 07 August 2015, 12:41:44 »

Wait, isn't that exactly what the last couple of generations have done too?

Offline PunksDead

• hspernks
  • keyboard poser
« Reply #5538 on: Fri, 07 August 2015, 12:46:40 »

yeah man i get it, believe me i have been there 3 years, no raise and i work with people whom have been there for 11-14 years STILL part time because they refuse to hire fulltime. They will work you 40-48 hours a week though, its all union so if you complain they tell you to call the union, and good luck even getting through to them... and when you do, if you weren't fired they could care less about your problem.

im gonna sound whiney right now, but our generation is screwed. College is MANDATORY now a days, most jobs you cannot work your way up the company ladder anymore. So we just gotta out screw the generation under us, until everything collapses... atleast thats my plan and why i wont have kids. Nepotism is the ONLY way to make it in America without a college degree

Offline aznairjordan

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #5539 on: Fri, 07 August 2015, 12:58:20 »

now my issue

... MURICA

which job could you see yourself staying at longer? Say you like the bank more, maybe the bank can offer promotions to where your salary would be comparable after x amount of time. If you would rather work at the dispatching company long term, could you stay at your current job for another 2 months? If none of these jobs appeal to you long term then I would say take the money where you can, get the bank job and then switch to the other because it pays better.

I'm pretty young and haven't had a ton of experience with jobs, but thats just how I see it. Good luck with your job search!
TGR Jane CE|FC660C|Orion V2
GMK Hyperfuse|GMK Olivetti|GMK Red Alert|Soulfree's Teal|GMK Cyan

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #5540 on: Fri, 07 August 2015, 13:02:03 »
More

I'm all for helping people out and doing the right thing.  The generations before us seem to have forgotten that.  I get pissed off when I hear talk about the "me" generation and how entitled people under 30 are.  People under 30 just want a fair shake and see that they're just there to be screwed over.  CEO and managers gladly screw people over if it means their bonus will be bigger and they can post bigger profits, even if it means doing unethical things like only having part time employees, fabricating fault so they can fire someone prior to retirement so they can't get unemployment or full benefits, and so on. 

So, unfortunately, we've been put in a place where you have to quit jobs and screw employers over in order to survive and hope to get to the point where we'll actually get a job that pays well enough to start a retirement fund.  It's not a mindset of screw everyone, but one of recognizing that the only way to not get screwed over yourself is to occasionally screw over an employer by leaving them with little to no notice.

Offline jbondeson

« Reply #5541 on: Fri, 07 August 2015, 13:09:31 »
Just got off the phone with the repair shop and they won't be able to take my car in until the 26th... And naturally insurance doesn't pay for a rental unless the car is physically in the shop and/or completely undrivable. But the trunk is popped up a good 2" which makes me super nervous driving the 30 miles to work @ 75mph...

Ugh. Guess I get to try and tie down the trunk from the inside. Still hate to drive it with my kids in a car without an intact bumper.

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #5542 on: Fri, 07 August 2015, 13:12:38 »

I'm all for helping people out and doing the right thing.  The generations before us seem to have forgotten that.  I get pissed off when I hear talk about the "me" generation and how entitled people under 30 are.  People under 30 just want a fair shake and see that they're just there to be screwed over.  CEO and managers gladly screw people over if it means their bonus will be bigger and they can post bigger profits, even if it means doing unethical things like only having part time employees, fabricating fault so they can fire someone prior to retirement so they can't get unemployment or full benefits, and so on. 

So, unfortunately, we've been put in a place where you have to quit jobs and screw employers over in order to survive and hope to get to the point where we'll actually get a job that pays well enough to start a retirement fund.  It's not a mindset of screw everyone, but one of recognizing that the only way to not get screwed over yourself is to occasionally screw over an employer by leaving them with little to no notice.

The only problem I see is your own job history.  You do this too many times, how can a good employer hire you?  They will see it and throw your application in the round file.

If you are serious about progressing "up the ladder", make it so.  You don't burn bridges to do this.  Someday, you may discover that some boss of yours in the past will encounter your current boss and things will not go so well for you.  ESPECIALLY if one of your former bosses becomes YOUR boss.

It's always best to leave on good terms.  My advice to you.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #5543 on: Fri, 07 August 2015, 13:16:08 »

now my issue

... MURICA

Plenty of good jobs out here. ;)

Sucks to be in that situation though.  :-/  Seems like either option would be better than the current job so at least there's that.  But burning bridges is never easy.

More

Yeah this really isn't a case of the young generation screwing the older one.  The whole mentality of jobs has shifted lately and you really can't compare across generations (I don't think you were ever really able to).  Now you *have* to switch jobs to get a good raise, etc.  There is no "one company career" anymore.  Kinda sucks IMO, because I wouldn't mind that.  But hey, the employers are forcing it so you have to go with the flow.  Same thing with "screwing" them.  If they would screw me to make their earnings look better so they get a bigger bonus, I'll do the same to them.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯  (Note: I would try my hardest to avoid doing that)

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #5544 on: Fri, 07 August 2015, 13:16:23 »
More

The only problem I see is your own job history.  You do this too many times, how can a good employer hire you?  They will see it and throw your application in the round file.

If you are serious about progressing "up the ladder", make it so.  You don't burn bridges to do this.  Someday, you may discover that some boss of yours in the past will encounter your current boss and things will not go so well for you.  ESPECIALLY if one of your former bosses becomes YOUR boss.

I don't disagree that it's always best to leave on good terms.  I simply stated that sometimes you have no choice.

Ask any HR person or anyone involved in headhunting and the like.  They will tell you that in order to move up these days, you need to change jobs and that sometimes those changes happen quickly and can leave a bad taste in your prior employers mouth.  Even so, you have to do what's best for you.

Offline PunksDead

• hspernks
  • keyboard poser
« Reply #5545 on: Fri, 07 August 2015, 13:27:28 »
More

I don't disagree that it's always best to leave on good terms.  I simply stated that sometimes you have no choice.

Ask any HR person or anyone involved in headhunting and the like.  They will tell you that in order to move up these days, you need to change jobs and that sometimes those changes happen quickly and can leave a bad taste in your prior employers mouth.  Even so, you have to do what's best for you.

you get my thoughts exactly nubs,

my Gf has been working for the same bank for 7 years making $13an hour, they then cut her annual $1 raise. She started job hunting and was offered $14.50 to switch to a competitive bank, she put in her two weeks notice. On her final 3 daysleft at her bank, they counter offered her $15 to stay, and since has gotten her annual raises back. Its so ridiculous how hard you have to fight and take chances to move up. You can no longer work your ass off to move up anymore, companies only respond to threats and actions. If she would have just stayed put and didnt do a thing, i guarantee she would still be making $13 an hour

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #5546 on: Fri, 07 August 2015, 13:32:13 »
More

Well, if you find yourself in an uncomfortable situation, a good suggestion is to make a suggestion as to why your job is uncomfortable to you.  Talk and communicate.  Ask if there are opportunities elsewhere within the company you are currently in.

If that doesn't work, and your boss tells you "There's the door if you don't like it..." answer, then you have to decide for yourself if it's actually worth staying at the current job you are in, or make it happen for yourself. You can tell your boss (even if you don't like it) that you are giving them notice.  At least a week, so they can find someone to replace you.

This shows the boss that even though you may not like your job, you respect the company you work for and this makes for a good transition into a new career.  It's best to do this when you have something to go into or fall back on.  Don't do this if you have nothing lined up!

It's silly foolish just to be angry and have nothing in the end.
« Last Edit: Fri, 07 August 2015, 13:33:54 by Snowdog993 »

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #5547 on: Fri, 07 August 2015, 13:32:48 »

I try and find some of the good jobs that are out there and there just isn't anything I can find where I fit.  :-\

Like temporarily I'm not overly concerned but a year or two from now my job may not exist.  :-X

Offline PunksDead

• hspernks
  • keyboard poser
« Reply #5548 on: Fri, 07 August 2015, 13:34:10 »

I try and find some of the good jobs that are out there and there just isn't anything I can find where I fit.  :-\

Like temporarily I'm not overly concerned but a year or two from now my job may not exist.  :-X

im sorry to hear that Ray, one of the many reasons that scares me from having kids

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #5549 on: Fri, 07 August 2015, 13:46:36 »

im sorry to hear that Ray, one of the many reasons that scares me from having kids

Yeah I mean there are some young guys here with no commitments, no family so they are like oh it doesn't matter blah blah.

I'm like yay, I just got a mortgage!

To be honest when we had our first child my wife had just finished college and was at her first job (which she had to quite due to the pregnancy and she's never went back) and I was making $8.50 an hour we were renting a house, had to buy a car because her car died on the way home from the hospital, then a few months later our landlord told us he sold the house and we had to move. Fast forward almost 8 years and we've got another kid, new house (the second house since the rental), newer vehicles and we've never looked back. But it still scary not knowing what the next step will be.

I think the hardest part for me is limiting myself unnecessarily, like instead of thinking I can't do that, you gotta be like well why not me. :thumb: