geekhack Marketplace > Interest Checks

[IC] OPERATOR | A split ortho mechanical keyboard for Photo retouching

(1/19) > >>

BepisRat:
OPERATOR

The OPERATOR is a mechanical keyboard aimed at photo retouchers, video editors, keyboard enthusiasts, and much more!

Using Cerakoted aluminium and PBT keycaps, this keyboard aims to last as much as YOU need it to. The knobs and slider are also aluminium.

This keyboard is all about space efficency, as you can see one half could be put out of way to make space for a pen tablet for digital artists. Additionally the small trackball can be used as a precise pointer, while the larger one on the left can be used to control Hue during digital painting or colour grading.

With the smooth Bourns slider, the rubberized magnetic profile ball, the glossy trackballs and silky smooth anodized finish, this keyboard is meant to be a pleasure to touch and use. ;)

Fully programmable through QMK, it's more than just a keyboard, it's a shortcut machine.

It uses usb-c and TRRS jacks to connect to your computer.

COLOURWAYS

Thank you for your attention! I've been working on this concept for three/four months folowwing an assignment where I was tasked to better the working conditions of photo retouchers working from home. I am of course aware of products like the Loupedeck which serve this exact purpose, but coming from photo retouchers themselves, it's tough yo have to balance the loupedeck, apple keyboard (blegh), pen tablet, mouse, and two monitors on a table which you usually use to have dinner on. This started out as an all-in-one alternative but my passion for keyboards took over, and I grew quite fond of Blender, so here are some renders for now!

TO DO

* Find Vendors in regions: Australia and Europe
* Complete first prototype and test firmware
* Find Cable manufacturer for collab
* Get Vendor's support
* Design PCB (with help)
* Add at least one other colour option (render)
* Add renders: Bottom feet / screwsI also made an IC on reddit as well:https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/immf9l/ic_operator_a_split_ortho_mechanical_keyboard_for/

Thanks again! Oh and please tell me what you want to see more of!

UPDATE

IC FORM NOW ONLINE
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/11ead9vD-rz2CooFwPA-YXwx4LK-_r3eodo3bydmevhE/edit?usp=sharing

Breaking News
Since announcing the project and launching the Interest Check, I was approached by the wonderful and skilled people at American Haptics, and we've been working together on getting this keyboard up and working. Their website will be a great source of news for this project, https://www.american-haptics.com. You can always come chat on their Discord server as well! I'm often online so you can reach out to me through there; https://discord.gg/2vxtjzs. Reminder that there's also an instagram account for the project: @bepis.rat, and AH have their own as well, @americanhaptics!

Here's a little FAQ update!

Why is it so expensive/can you make it cheaper with cheaper materials/will you offer a cheaper version eventually?
Due to the cost of manufacturing, the quality of the materials, and usage of some unconventional parts, unfortunately we won’t be able to make it cheaper. We could theoretically use cheaper materials, but we will not at least for this version - we’re hoping for this to be of premium quality, durable and usable for years to come. As for eventually, maybe if this does well enough we can look into more accessible variations. Additionally, the board is going to be manufactured and assembled in the USA.

Can you do a color way in _?
The coating we’re using is cerakote which is extremely durable and has a very premium feel. We’re mainly trying to do the green colourway, the black also seems to exist already, but the white definitely needs to be created. This implies additional costs in terms of R&D and time.

Tenting/staggered/non-split/thumb clusters/hotswap?
We’re thinking about ways to tent, but as the design is right now it has rubber feet at the back to at least have a somewhat comfortable typing angle. Staggered is a no-go with this design, so are 2U keys of any kind. This is because it’ll use Kailh hotswap sockets, and it won’t have a plate so mounting stabs is pretty much impossible right now (in terms of space).

What firmware will it support?
It will use QMK; paired with something like AutoHotKey you could really romp around with this thing. The only downside is that it uses ARM microcontrollers, which cuts off a few of QMK’s features; this is a necessary sacrifice to have enough processing power to manage all the components on the board. We’re also happy to help you get your keyboard set up with your software of choice!

Can I just buy half?
Right now, we’re planning to sell both halves together.

Open source? (I wanna make my own case/source my own parts/buy everything but the case)
We’re hoping to eventually open source everything.

Trackballs are cool and all but I don’t see a scroll wheel or mouse buttons.
The OPERATOR is fully programmable, this means that the mouse buttons could be any key on the keyboard (6 and 7 are pretty well placed). For the scroll wheel the best options right now would either mouse3 and then drag or using the rotary encoders as vertical and horizontal scroll wheels, glide through those spreadsheets!

See you soon on the next update!

Interestingly enough, this board will almost entirely be MADE IN USA

You can use this as a signature if you want:

--- Code: ---[url=https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=108472][img width=310 height=120]https://imgur.com/PBDMAgG.png[/img][/url]
--- End code ---

fropsie:
Super interesting! GLWIC

dededecline:
Love to see more split and ortho boards, especially one with so many unique features! I'm not much of a photo or video editor, but as a split ortho user I have some thoughts. I totally understand the symmetry and aesthetic you're going for (and achieving with this) but I think it comes at some cost to usability.

The hue and colour grading trackball would require either using your pointer and middle fingers or moving your hand up a bunch so your thumb can be used. I feel like the trackballs have so much potential, but would work best if they were within thumb reach.

I don't think the slider potentiometer and profile-switching ball (what a cool concept, btw) need to be moved necessarily, but I think putting them on inner columns vertically could be an option to consider.

Maybe consider an Ergodoxian layout like the the RGBKB Sol 2

Where the track balls (and maybe even the rotary knobs) could be in the thumb clusters (rather than additional keys as shown in the pic). This would make those components more easily accessible with your thumbs while your hands rest on the keys. I do kinda like the top placement of the slider potentiometer and profile-switching ball; just want to throw out the suggestion of the inner columns.

Small detail: that layout is considered 60% not 65%.

For your layout, maybe consider adding the rotary knobs as options on some of the keys (though I do understand wanting them to be dedicated outside the keys as well), and please support 2u space as an option like the Nyquist does

Thanks for bringing such an interesting, innovative, and unique design to the space!

Kokaloo:
Now this is a keyboard. Maybe some tenting or at least an angle or support for cone feet?

ibabo:
very very cool to see something unique like this!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version