geekhack Community > Off Topic

p33r pre5sure

<< < (2/4) > >>

tp4tissue:
those pain receptors can die when exposure is constant, over time, they just can't feel it.

phinix:
Hahaha, tha's really funny tp! :)

I remember years ago, when working as a chef, I had to peel a bag of garlic - first time in my life I had to peel whole bag, did it without gloves. BIG mistake. Two days of burning hands. Never again.

tp4tissue:

--- Quote from: phinix on Mon, 04 July 2022, 03:09:11 ---I remember years ago, when working as a chef, I had to peel a bag of garlic - first time in my life I had to peel whole bag, did it without gloves. BIG mistake. Two days of burning hands. Never again.

--- End quote ---

different from garlic, but tp4 had a similar experience with pineapples, the bromelain enzyme. it was pineapple peeling class, and it was 4 hours.

chyros:
tp4-san racku disciprine

tp4tissue:
After a month of intense-Training, ~1.5 table spoons of chili oil per day.

Tp4 can now barely taste spice.  it seems these heat receptors are completely depleted..

The Steinance:

Capsaicin selectively binds to a protein known as TRPV1, which resides on the membranes of pain- and heat-sensing neurons. TRPV1 is a heat-activated calcium channel, with a threshold to open between 37°C and 45°C (37°C is normal body temperature). When capsaicin binds to TRPV1, it causes the channel to lower its opening threshold, thereby opening it at temperatures less than the body's temperature, which is why capsaicin is linked to the sensation of heat. As mentioned earlier, prolonged activation of these neurons by capsaicin depletes presynaptic substance P, one of the body's neurotransmitters for pain and heat, and prevents reaccumulation. Neurons that do not contain TRPV1 are unaffected; this causes extended numbness following surgery, and the patient does not feel pain as the capsaicin is applied under anesthesia.

With chronic exposure to capsaicin, neurons are depleted of neurotransmitters, and this leads to a reduction in sensation of pain and a blockage of neurogenic inflammation. If capsaicin is removed, the neurons recover.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version