Author Topic: Raspberry PI Pico RP2040 Clone recomendation?  (Read 4351 times)

Offline ineph

• nostalgic procrastinator
  • Do you know the Venus Project??
Raspberry PI Pico RP2040 Clone recomendation?
« on: Mon, 21 August 2023, 16:36:01 »
Did you guys ever used these Raspberry PI Pico clones?
I'm interested on this one, since is very cheap ($2.6), the interface is USBc, and have 16Mb flash memory

Bla bla bla Stealthbla bla Blue

Offline juliday

• Synth, Controller, and Keyboard
    • SagakLabs
Re: Raspberry PI Pico RP2040 Clone recomendation?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 25 August 2023, 04:33:59 »
I have used some clones.
They're all not bad. except for some(most) of them you have to put some protections.
Such as Reverse polarity protection, Overvoltage protection, etc.

In terms of the functionality. They were mostly the same, except for the memory size.
But the memory for rp2 boards are already pretty big (>2M)
If you want to use many of them, I recommend you to get the most accecible one from where you are.

so the biggiest considreation could be the SIZE.

Offline fanf

• Tony Finch's home page
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 25 August 2023, 05:15:24 »
I have used the Waveshare RP2040-Tiny https://www.waveshare.com/rp2040-tiny.htm

It has a daughterboard for its USB-C socket and for the bootsel and reset buttons, so it is much more flexible than many dev boards. Tho I found that it is awkward to perform the reflash mode vulcan nerve pinch when the daughterboard is in a tight spot. I also managed to break one of the tiny FPC connectors, but a spot of blutack was enough to keep the cable in place so it was not a complete disaster.

The main board has almost exactly the same footprint as a 1.25u keycap 🤓 and castellated pads so it can be soldered directly to a PCB. It is about the same thickness as a hotswap socket.

Offline juliday

• Synth, Controller, and Keyboard
    • SagakLabs
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 25 August 2023, 05:31:02 »
I have used the Waveshare RP2040-Tiny https://www.waveshare.com/rp2040-tiny.htm

It has a daughterboard for its USB-C socket and for the bootsel and reset buttons, so it is much more flexible than many dev boards. Tho I found that it is awkward to perform the reflash mode vulcan nerve pinch when the daughterboard is in a tight spot. I also managed to break one of the tiny FPC connectors, but a spot of blutack was enough to keep the cable in place so it was not a complete disaster.

The main board has almost exactly the same footprint as a 1.25u keycap 🤓 and castellated pads so it can be soldered directly to a PCB. It is about the same thickness as a hotswap socket.

whoa this is such a clever design!
the main board seems like almost the same size to the rp2040 zero