Author Topic: [IC] GMK Oblivion V2 - Launches June 4th 2019 on Drop.com  (Read 295971 times)

Offline upas

Re: [IC] GMK Oblivion V2
« Reply #250 on: Tue, 29 January 2019, 14:23:05 »
I have it on my checklist, decision still pending. I don't value default layouts too much when the PCB is programmable.

Yeah, default layouts are hardly an argument, but the fact is that R3 PgUp, R4 PgDn are popular on 65%/75% boards, esp. those with split Backspace (people align Delete with Backspace, then have PgUp and PgDn below that). I think every third or fourth 65% I see uses those keys. I'd say they're more popular than split Num+, loosely speaking.

Thanks for considering it.

I agree w/ R3 and R4 PgUp and PgDn. What is the purpose of the R2/R3 PgUp and PgDn? Could you swap them for R3 and R4 instead?

Offline Ensaum

« Reply #251 on: Tue, 29 January 2019, 14:47:35 »
I hope we can get the RED ISO Enter back in the Nordeuk kit  :confused:
Show Image

+1 for adding red accents back in. I actually really like them with monochrome.

Offline Oblotzky

• Backspace is for people that make mistakes.
« Reply #252 on: Tue, 29 January 2019, 14:52:01 »
Show Image

Smol update. Mainly, I removed the red accents from Monochrome Base Kit. They were overlapping with GMK Honeywell too much.

Would love to see colored standard mods on the "monochrome base kit"!

What is the purpose of the R2/R3 PgUp and PgDn? Could you swap them for R3 and R4 instead?

65%/75% support.

Offline Ensaum

« Reply #253 on: Tue, 29 January 2019, 14:59:52 »
Show Image

Smol update. Mainly, I removed the red accents from Monochrome Base Kit. They were overlapping with GMK Honeywell too much.

Show Image

Sorry bud, I feel you. It's just because we love this set so much and want it to be perfect. However, you are the designer so do what you see fit :)

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #254 on: Tue, 29 January 2019, 15:03:17 »
Show Image

Show Image

Sorry bud, I feel you. It's just because we love this set so much and want it to be perfect. However, you are the designer so do what you see fit :)

Think you misunderstood. I answered your question with a quote of mine, the meme is for orim23

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #255 on: Tue, 29 January 2019, 15:20:33 »
I agree w/ R3 and R4 PgUp and PgDn. What is the purpose of the R2/R3 PgUp and PgDn? Could you swap them for R3 and R4 instead?

Both are popular options for 65%/75% layouts. R2/R3 is used in Home–PgUp–PgDn–End and Delete–PgUp–PgDn–Fn right columns, whereas R3/R4 is popular with the aforementioned any–Delete–PgUp–PgDn setup. So I think both should be represented.

Show Image

I'm kind of sad to see the red accents go as well. Did someone actually complain about the similarity to Honeywell, did you remove it preemptively in expectation of such comments, or do you just personally not want your set to look similar to an existing colorway? Although, I'm sure people know what the Oblivion colors are (it ran with Hagoromo and red accents in SA, after all), and it's not like you're offering that combo in the base kit.
« Last Edit: Tue, 29 January 2019, 15:25:00 by constexpr »

Offline Janne

« Reply #256 on: Tue, 29 January 2019, 15:26:23 »
I am definitely in if you make the NorDeUK kit!
Might also be in for a Cadet Set!

Offline emperact

« Reply #257 on: Tue, 29 January 2019, 16:07:24 »
IN, YES! So happy to see NorDe.

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #258 on: Tue, 29 January 2019, 16:30:48 »
Oblotzky sir:

Would it be possible to have R3 - PageUp and R4 - PageDn?

Thanks!

Another request is to have one novelty cap for R2, R3 and R4, respectively (something similar to what GMK Bento did), which will add so much compatibility to various layouts.

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #259 on: Tue, 29 January 2019, 16:38:57 »
Oblotzky sir:

Thanks!

Another request is to have one novelty cap for R2, R3 and R4, respectively (something similar to what GMK Bento did), which will add so much compatibility to various layouts.

R3 PgUp/R4 PgDn is being considered. For novelties, I don't see any other than the Git logo itself happening. I don't feel Oblivion benefits from icons much.

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #260 on: Tue, 29 January 2019, 16:40:04 »
Alt Gr for ISO.

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #261 on: Tue, 29 January 2019, 16:44:51 »
Oblotzky sir:

Thanks!

R3 PgUp/R4 PgDn is being considered. For novelties, I don't see any other than the Git logo itself happening. I don't feel Oblivion benefits from icons much.

Thanks for considering it!

I guess the goal of the proposed novelties for each row is primarily to increase compatibility, as people can use them for literally any key without looking weird, thanks for considering though!

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #262 on: Tue, 29 January 2019, 16:50:27 »
Oblotzky sir:

Thanks!

I guess the goal of the proposed novelties for each row is primarily to increase compatibility, as people can use them for literally any key without looking weird, thanks for considering though!

Depending on taste, novelties can look weird. Especially in a set that is meant to mimic a code editor.

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #263 on: Tue, 29 January 2019, 16:51:10 »
Alt Gr for ISO.

I hate that you are right. Might have to add 1.25u and 1.5u Alt Gr in Monochrome colors.

Offline oh_chesteroni

« Reply #264 on: Tue, 29 January 2019, 17:01:43 »
If you're keeping the gray alphas for the monochrome kit, it would be really nice to have the red accents back. Doesn't look like Honeywell unless you're considering swapping the gray alphas for hagoromo alphas on the monochrome kit.

Offline dhb82

« Reply #265 on: Tue, 29 January 2019, 17:17:18 »

With that, I also felt comfortable merging the ISO parts of the Base Kit into the NorDeUK kit, as there's now just 3 ISO returns left instead of 4. This should also increase the likelihood of that kit happening, as people can't cheap out for physical ISO support via the Base Kits now. It's all or nothing now, with less burden on the ANSI folks.

So that means that IF NorDeUk doesnt happen, that i wont even be getting a ISO enter in the base set, feel kinda bummed out by that :(

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #266 on: Tue, 29 January 2019, 17:29:37 »
Oblotzky sir:

Thanks!

Depending on taste, novelties can look weird. Especially in a set that is meant to mimic a code editor.

Cool :) Give us a Git logo in each row if possible :)

Offline typischt

« Reply #267 on: Tue, 29 January 2019, 18:02:30 »
Alt Gr for ISO.

I hate that you are right. Might have to add 1.25u and 1.5u Alt Gr in Monochrome colors.
What about basic UK ISO for Hagoromo (in the NorDeUK kit)? Would „only“ be like two keys, right?
Just a suggestion.. ;)

Offline tex_live_utility

• MX brown apologist
    • twitch.tv/salt_rock_lamp
« Reply #268 on: Tue, 29 January 2019, 18:08:40 »
I have it on my checklist, decision still pending. I don't value default layouts too much when the PCB is programmable.

Yeah, default layouts are hardly an argument, but the fact is that R3 PgUp, R4 PgDn are popular on 65%/75% boards, esp. those with split Backspace (people align Delete with Backspace, then have PgUp and PgDn below that). I think every third or fourth 65% I see uses those keys. I'd say they're more popular than split Num+, loosely speaking.

Thanks for considering it.

I think a lot of people do (from top to bottom): Home/PgUp/PgDn/End
Discord: salt rock lamp#0679 | Reddit: /u/nerdponx | Deskthority: autoload -Uz | Keebtalk: salt_rock_lamp
Twitch: salt_rock_lamp | YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCd7YXZjilUutJ6ShZWrvQtg | Instagram: @salt_rock_keyboards

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #269 on: Tue, 29 January 2019, 18:29:23 »
Alt Gr for ISO.
+1, would consider getting an ISO kit just for Alt Gr.

If you're keeping the gray alphas for the monochrome kit, it would be really nice to have the red accents back. Doesn't look like Honeywell unless you're considering swapping the gray alphas for hagoromo alphas on the monochrome kit.
+1
« Last Edit: Tue, 29 January 2019, 19:05:51 by constexpr »

Offline The_judge_168

« Reply #270 on: Tue, 29 January 2019, 19:00:20 »

+1 for red accents back

Offline Ruler

« Reply #271 on: Tue, 29 January 2019, 19:17:40 »
pretty sick, hands down

Offline fatpolomanjr

« Reply #272 on: Tue, 29 January 2019, 20:32:15 »

+1 to this. I either do that or (Del or Print)/PgUp/PgDn/Fn for 65%. For 75% I do Home/End/PgUp/PgDn/Fn (R1,R1,R2,R3,R4).
Some guys keep on saying they believe in Jesus, and keep doing a lot of shameful things.
Current GH Classified Post (LF Arcade Floor, Garbield and CYM Otter and Keyng)

Offline Ensaum

« Reply #273 on: Tue, 29 January 2019, 21:08:57 »
They were overlapping with GMK Honeywell too much.

I disagree. Unless you buy Hagoromo, this set is closer to Dolch than Honeywell. It also didn't seem to be an issue with the SA version, so I don't really see what it's suddenly such a huge deal that a certain combination of this set looks similar to another one..

Offline Traveler

« Reply #274 on: Tue, 29 January 2019, 21:39:26 »
I'll be keeping my eye on this. I'm very content with everything I got in the V1 buy, so the only things I'd be interested in is Hagoromo child/novelty kits like Cadet.

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #275 on: Tue, 29 January 2019, 21:44:35 »

+1 to this. I either do that or (Del or Print)/PgUp/PgDn/Fn for 65%. For 75% I do Home/End/PgUp/PgDn/Fn (R1,R1,R2,R3,R4).

I do  `, Del, PgUp, PgDn

Offline sujikinen

« Reply #276 on: Tue, 29 January 2019, 22:48:41 »
1,thank you for still considering Colevrak kit.

2,If I have understood correctly,the grey alphas match Space Cadet alphas?

2,any possible to add a R3 1.25 enter.

Offline fatpolomanjr

« Reply #277 on: Tue, 29 January 2019, 23:23:34 »
2,any possible to add a R3 1.25 enter.

That looks to be covered by the 1.25u R3 "Test" key in the Assembly kit.
Some guys keep on saying they believe in Jesus, and keep doing a lot of shameful things.

Offline fireworm

« Reply #278 on: Tue, 29 January 2019, 23:34:07 »

+1 for red accents back
I'd say also remove the blue from base. Put red, blue, add hagoromo versions, and ISO versions in a color pack.

Imo, the base should be gray, with text accents doing the differentiation (like real code...).

Offline Ensaum

« Reply #279 on: Tue, 29 January 2019, 23:53:49 »
I'd say also remove the blue from base. Put red, blue, add hagoromo versions, and ISO versions in a color pack.

Imo, the base should be gray, with text accents doing the differentiation (like real code...).

I like this idea. I also had a similar idea for the GIT mods. There are a lot of people who would prefer Oblivion mods because the GIT keys don't really mean much to them or make sense where they're located, but some of the GIT keys are still pretty cool. Why not include them in a novelty pack? A "Hello, World!" enter, "Git" esc or even a "Revert" back space would be excellent choices. Novelty kits almost always sell well, so labeling it this way may help it sell better than just having a dedicated GIT mod pack. 

Offline Kyndylan

« Reply #280 on: Wed, 30 January 2019, 02:27:10 »

With that, I also felt comfortable merging the ISO parts of the Base Kit into the NorDeUK kit, as there's now just 3 ISO returns left instead of 4. This should also increase the likelihood of that kit happening, as people can't cheap out for physical ISO support via the Base Kits now. It's all or nothing now, with less burden on the ANSI folks.

So that means that IF NorDeUk doesnt happen, that i wont even be getting a ISO enter in the base set, feel kinda bummed out by that :(

Yes, while I can see the reasoning behind moving all ISO elements to their own kit, it does mean that those who want ISO will completely miss out if the kit doesn't happen. If they were still in the base, I expect there are others like me who would pick it up even if I couldn't have the complete ISO compatibility I'd like.

Offline dPaK

« Reply #281 on: Wed, 30 January 2019, 02:43:51 »
I would like the ISO enter in the base too. I can live if NorDeUk don't reach MOQ, but not without an ISO enter.

Offline thornkin

« Reply #282 on: Wed, 30 January 2019, 02:47:34 »
Would love to see a Vim kit if that's possible.  The Vimkeys Oblivion SA kit looked great.

Sent from my Mediatek MTK8173 Chromebook using Tapatalk

Offline ihalatch

« Reply #283 on: Wed, 30 January 2019, 02:59:01 »
Would love to see a Vim kit if that's possible.  The Vimkeys Oblivion SA kit looked great.

Sent from my Mediatek MTK8173 Chromebook using Tapatalk

+1

Offline alisonica

« Reply #284 on: Wed, 30 January 2019, 03:01:38 »
more kits please, more strange keys please, more more more please.

Offline KeyCap75

« Reply #285 on: Wed, 30 January 2019, 05:03:41 »
a must buy for me! ;D
+1 for NorDeUk-Kit  :thumb:

Offline phorx

• ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #286 on: Wed, 30 January 2019, 06:54:02 »
I’ll miss the windowed caps, as well as the coloured “normal” mods, from the R1 run a lot.  I’m on the fence but I’ll keep watching this space.

Offline fatpolomanjr

« Reply #287 on: Wed, 30 January 2019, 07:19:25 »
There are a lot of people who would prefer Oblivion mods because the GIT keys don't really mean much to them or make sense where they're located, but some of the GIT keys are still pretty cool. Why not include them in a novelty pack? A "Hello, World!" enter, "Git" esc or even a "Revert" back space would be excellent choices. Novelty kits almost always sell well, so labeling it this way may help it sell better than just having a dedicated GIT mod pack.

Anything less than a full set of git modifiers would be a deal breaker for me, at least on the base kit. On the plus side at least I'd just have the Assembly kit to buy. ;p

Offline b3nkei

« Reply #288 on: Wed, 30 January 2019, 07:41:36 »
I’ll miss the windowed caps, as well as the coloured “normal” mods, from the R1 run a lot.  I’m on the fence but I’ll keep watching this space.

Yeah, i would also prefer the normal color mods on the base kit, i don't know what is the general opinion about this.

Offline rk74051

• Carpe Noctem Iterum
« Reply #289 on: Wed, 30 January 2019, 08:12:42 »
I think that i'm already in.....
but have some questions and suggestions about this round

- Questions
1. Can we select the modifier of the previous round as the option?
2. Aren't there the red points on monochrome base like SA's one?

- Suggestions
1. It's should be better that separate the modifiers and alphas as 2 kit, or make hagamono base
- because i want to get the hagamono base for my other keyboard  :rolleyes:
It's too pain to get 2 oblivion alpha s for making the hagamono base.  :(
2. LED Kits for toggle keys *if possible

I'm very excited so i will wait patiently with using my SA Oblivions  :)

« Last Edit: Wed, 30 January 2019, 08:30:29 by rk74051 »
|archon REːAL PLATINUM FX Round 2 DIY KIT[Black, Aluminium Plate, Ver 2.0 PCB, Drop Holy Panda, Massdrop X Oblotzky SA Oblivion Oblivion Mod(Oblivion Alpha),  Signed by Joe 'Mr.Hahn' Hahn of Linkin Park(Carry On, 7/18/2019 KST)]|
|CM Storm Novatouch TKL[Norbauer R2 Galactic Blue, Massdrop X Mito SA Godspeed]|

Offline Ensaum

« Reply #290 on: Wed, 30 January 2019, 08:13:32 »
There are a lot of people who would prefer Oblivion mods because the GIT keys don't really mean much to them or make sense where they're located, but some of the GIT keys are still pretty cool. Why not include them in a novelty pack? A "Hello, World!" enter, "Git" esc or even a "Revert" back space would be excellent choices. Novelty kits almost always sell well, so labeling it this way may help it sell better than just having a dedicated GIT mod pack.

Anything less than a full set of git modifiers would be a deal breaker for me, at least on the base kit. On the plus side at least I'd just have the Assembly kit to buy. ;p

I'm just trying to throw out ideas since I and a lot of others want og Oblivion mods.

Offline otanishock

• One of the cool kids :>
  • ファーストラブ
« Reply #291 on: Wed, 30 January 2019, 08:46:39 »
Split everything all into child kits, no base, jack prices up to $90 a kit. Grab popcorns.

/s

Offline mnpq.raven

« Reply #292 on: Wed, 30 January 2019, 09:08:43 »
Split everything all into child kits, no base, jack prices up to $90 a kit. Grab popcorns.

/s
The funny thing is that when it actually happens people who demanded separate kits will just explode when the prices are all jacked

Offline Morgan3Wheeler

« Reply #293 on: Wed, 30 January 2019, 09:18:41 »

+1 for red accents back
KMAC Happy red HHKB / KMAC Mini red / KMAC 2 86 / 45-ATS cerakote white / Matrix Noah avocado green / Matrix2.0 WKL yellow / Matrix2.0 WKL red / Matrix2.0 add WKL / Matrix Abel X RX-78 / Matrix Abel X Eva / Matrix1.2 OG WKL purple blue / Percent BOOSTER yellow /  Percent CANOE yellow / Percent Canoe2 casio / Percent SKOG mao / TGR 910 CE pink / TGR Jane CE WKL olive green/ TGR Jane V2 WKL blue gray/ TGR Jane V2 CE WKL / TGR Alice red / Keycult No. 2 Rev. 1 / EXENT65 black / GRAYCOD 67 mao / CA66 e-white / Think6.5 V2 LE / Think6.5 V2 robocop / Think6.5 V2 snow white / SPACE 65 R1 black / Typewriter68 e-white/ E6.5 pc / E7-V1 mao white/ E8.5 WKL e-white/ Voclano660 e-white / Moon by EVE WKL carbon / JER-Mini gray / JER80S NCR WKL geekhack / JER80S NCR WKL Korean / Dolumina65 black / Elephant S7 R2 e-white / Bear 65 ergo e-white, black, blue, pink, PC / Fox key65 e-white / Cyberboard purple / Saturn-60 moondust / Saturn-60 supernova / Infinitum / Rama M65a e-white / Rama Jules navy / Rama Zenith ouro / Rama U80-A Seq2 soya / Primus75 / 7V blue / / Cajal gray / Cajal e-white / SQUARE.X 6ea / Time 80 Reforged WKL e-white / J-01 rev1 Black / J-02 LE Poker e-white / OTD 356 Mini R1 red / LZ-CE red / LZ-CE gray / LZ-CLSms silver/ LZ-PhysiX gray / LZ-SQ SE titan gray / LZ-EX titan gray /  LZ-ST silver / LZ-FE WKL silver/ LZ-CLS WKL silver/ LZ-CLS WKL black / LZ-MP gray / LZ-MX SE titan gray / LZ-CP black-blue / LZ-CP red-red SE / LZ-RV gray / Light Pad silver / Light Pad gray / Octagon V2 gray / Orion V2 WKL silver-red / Orion V2.5 WKL gray / Dol Pad dolch / Dolinger 2017 dolch / Dolinger RE yellow/ Dolinger RE PC / Whale-Fe / Dolphin V3 dolch / Montage PC WKL / F1-8X WKL gray / F1-8X WKL navy / F1-8X WKL burgandy / AL.BOK WKL silver

Offline Tom_Kazansky

• Oblivion Knight
« Reply #294 on: Wed, 30 January 2019, 10:15:22 »

/s

base: $159.99 <-- no! as you suggested

from GMK Carbon:
- Boneyard Alphas: $109.99
- Umka Modifier: $159.99
=> $269.98 <-- good luck!

Offline Ensaum

« Reply #295 on: Wed, 30 January 2019, 10:36:23 »

/s

from GMK Carbon:

Carbon r2 child mod kits where expensive because of the new R0/5 molds it needed and because of how large the kits where. Oblotzky said somewhere that a mod kit for this set would be around 28 keycaps. A more reasonable price for a standalone mod kit for this run would be $50-60. You can look at Space Cadet for proof of concept if you want. Cherry Icons where $38 and True Cadet was $75 (and this kit was pretty large at 41 keycaps including 4 spacebars).

Edit: He said 38 keys and $60 for a mono kit
« Last Edit: Wed, 30 January 2019, 10:45:23 by Ensaum »

Offline mimalik

« Reply #296 on: Wed, 30 January 2019, 10:56:40 »

/s

from GMK Carbon:

Carbon R2 was an exception due to costs of new molds for  r0/r5. But in this case, if there is a git base kit v2 (git base mods + hagoromo alphas) should have same cost as currently proposed git base kit. This should quiet down some discontent for those who already grey alphas from other drops.

This will make it similar as R1 but in my view is the good common ground to appease em all.
« Last Edit: Wed, 30 January 2019, 11:22:51 by mimalik »

Offline jtallbean

• ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #297 on: Wed, 30 January 2019, 11:08:49 »
Looks great, in for monochrome base

Also +1 for red accents

Offline Ensaum

« Reply #298 on: Wed, 30 January 2019, 11:13:05 »
But in this case, if there is a git base kit v2 (git base mods + hagoromo alphas) should have same cost as currently proposed git base kit. This should quite down some discontent for those who already grey alphas from other drops.

This. Oblivion+Grey base & Git+Hagoromo base with a mono mod kit and color accent kit would be :thumb: I'd personally set aside money now and buy all 4 of these sets when it drops. It would also allow a full Hagoromo mono set to be built with only 2 kits like Oblotzky was initially wanting.

Offline Prebeta

« Reply #299 on: Wed, 30 January 2019, 11:29:44 »
But in this case, if there is a git base kit v2 (git base mods + hagoromo alphas) should have same cost as currently proposed git base kit. This should quite down some discontent for those who already grey alphas from other drops.

This. Oblivion+Grey base & Git+Hagoromo base with a mono mod kit and color accent kit would be :thumb: I'd personally set aside money now and buy all 4 of these sets when it drops. It would also allow a full Hagoromo mono set to be built with only 2 kits like Oblotzky was initially wanting.

Same, I'm not too invested in the git mods on the base set. I just want to enjoy some nice unadulterated grey oblivion on my keeb  :-*.