Author Topic: couple ergonomic layout ideas  (Read 2032 times)

Offline william

couple ergonomic layout ideas
« on: Fri, 20 March 2015, 16:48:17 »
the blue keys are visual aids for hand placement, including thumbs. these aren't entirely original ideas, and may be completely identical to some others, but not to my knowledge. i only used standard sizes of keys, but not standard for how some of them are labeled. the two bottom layouts assume you would be using space/enter as modifier keys, such as a planck would.

the first layout reduces the amount of stagger on the numerical and bottom alpha row.

second is a mirrored staggered layout. this one also has the stagger reduced like above. the extra key next to shift is there because keycaps don't normally come in the width to fill that space.

the third is kinda like a lot of other split-hand staggered layouts, but with a slightly different stagger and kept fairly minimal.

94687-0

Offline jacobolus

Re: couple ergonomic layout ideas
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 20 March 2015, 17:04:00 »
There are some interesting other symmetric stagger boards floating around:
https://encrypted.google.com/search?hl=en&q=symmetric%20stagger%20site%3Ageekhack.org

Offline william

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 20 March 2015, 17:14:11 »
i really need to use those google features more. i mostly only remember them when i need to exclude an annoying site from my results.

that first and second hit really are near identical to what i came up with.
« Last Edit: Fri, 20 March 2015, 17:16:54 by william »

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 20 March 2015, 19:05:57 »
the first layout reduces the amount of stagger on the numerical and bottom alpha row.
The Japanese HHKB and the Filco MiniLa have uniform 1/4 key staggering, at least on the bottom alpha row.
I have never tried it myself but I have heard some people complain that it is even worse for the left hand compared to regular QWERTY - but I suppose that they weren't touch typists that use to angle their left wrists.